Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Seek the Sun OOC thread

This is the OOC thread! Get comfy, I'll work on this shortly to fill it up. IC thread will be up in the next few hours, I'm running errands here and there at the moment:D

Posted from Recruiting:

The Sun gives us life. Great Soa, giver of warmth and light. It is she whose glorious luminescence grows the food and banishes the Dark Things of the earth!Where her Mother's warm hand strokes the earth the flowers grow and the land bears fruit. And so her people prosper! As it should be.
    -Beginning of 'Great Soa, the Fourth Sun'

The Great City of the west, grand Uru'ah, is in flames. Barbaric invaders form the North come bearing metal weapons and fearsome warbeasts. Word has spread that the defenders were slain while they slumbered by followers of Gron-Lau, the Fourth Sun's younger brother. If this is true, it has grave consequences for the faithful. This news come to you on the breath of a dying man, wounded and fleeing the great capital of the Sun. You must ready yourself, to flee or fight, for he warned you of invaders on the road making fast for the isolated temple you currently call home.

Spoiler: Character Backgrounds, Creation, and special options
    Show

So this campaign will be set in the lands of Soa, the 'Fourth Sun'. Soa is the goddess of the western nations, a mother-figure type that ascended to godhood and banished the long cold dark of long ago. Its people do not belong to one specific nation or state, instead operating on large family groups interconnected by long-term bonds of shared blood, a shared religion, and the broad space which has allowed the groups to stay out of one another's toes. It has only been in the last generation or so that people from the deserts to the North and the cold tundras of the East have begun visiting Soa's great cities. Explorers and exploiters have rushed to this exotic locale to find strange magics, artifacts, and treasure.

Life in the land of Soa is one without large scale warfare, since the large, sprawling super-jungle that covers it practically from border to border prohibits large movements.

As a result, Metal is very restricted. Unless you are a visitor from outside of Soa's domain, majority-metal items(longswords, maces, plate armor, chainmail, etc.) are extremely rare, as the thick, humid air is rough on metal and strong metalworking is a strong suit of other nations. I'm not enforcing people to use the rule-set for non-advanced weapons(because it's dumb to penalize players for using thematic weapons IMO), so I suggest purchasing as if you were a druid, essentially. Axes, spears, etc. can have onyx/flint tips/blades or metal as desired for look. If you are from outside and have those items, you will have to role-play being a stranger.

I am homebrewing a rule to allowing players to take proficiency in one weapon that would otherwise be exotic/not on their normal proficiency list if it fits the setting and class. This is for Fighters, rogues, paladins, etc. This weapon is only for Soa natives and cannot be majority-metal.

Spoiler: Religion in Soa's domain
    Show

Religion is central to most of Soa's people. There are three main figures in the Soa pantheon

Soa - the Sun goddess. Technically the fourth in a line of semi-reincarnating deities, Soa is seen as a protective figure, mother-spirit, and strength-goddess all in one. Her priesthood is mostly male. The head of Soa's official clergy is known as 'The Sun's Husband', and wields great political power. The current Sun's Husband is considered wise and peaceful.

Gron-Lau - Soa's younger brother and symbolized by the Moon. According to the legends, Gron-Lau was born a day after Soa. He stands watch over the world while Soa sleeps at night. Dedication, religious zeal, and loyalty are traits of Gron-Lau's followers. His priesthood is mostly female. The head of Gron-Lau's worshipers is sometimes known as 'The Moon's Wife'. The current Moon's Wife is considered pious but young and inexperienced.

The Dark/Tiluk the Dark Serpent - though not a god per se, Tiluk is the symbol used to refer to total darkness, and the Dark prior to the arrival of the Sun and Moon. A red serpent with coal-black eyes, Tiluk is known to cause madness, violence, and evil thoughts in the people. No sane person worships the Dark Serpent.

Snakes, Serpents, etc.: The Soa People loathe and hate snakes of all kinds. It is perhaps not surprising that their idea of evil is the serpent, since snakes in the great Jungle are venomous and hard to spot, and have a high propensity for harming Soa children(they are small enough to slip into nurseries, or to hide under places where a child would want to play and explore).

This will be updated as people ask questions/I come up with more stuff.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler: Where you are
    Show

The temple you are at is a bit on the edge of Soa-lands on the far side of the jungle - There's maybe a few scattered tribal groups to the west, with Uru'ah a few days travel to the East(at least, a few days travel if you know the jungle). To the North and East is known to be inhospitable desert. Far to the East the land is cold and the people make ample use of metallurgy. Most metal goods in the Soa-lands are of rare eastern-forged make.

Temples in the Soa-Land usually double as domiciles and 'towns' outside of the few larger cities. Most(like the one you will be starting at) were built generations ago, and are buried in the jungle about as thickly as the trees. Depending on their size, some can house as many as sixty adult members of a clan or tribe. Most are open to visitors that can pull their own weight, though there are a few that are more aggressive and less trusting. In times of trouble they can be used as defensive structures as well, since they're most usually constructed as squat ziggurats made from massive slabs of stone.

The Temple you are in houses just shy of two dozen souls, plus a small pack of children ranging from the newly-born to adolescents, of varying races. There's no strong family presence since the Temple is so far west- It maintains strong ties through the danger of the untamed jungle to the west and the occasional glory-seeker heading further west. It's name is Garu-Lau. The temple proper is about three stories tall, with covered stairways leading up to the chambers topping each 'step'. Most of the people living in Garu-Lau live in wooden buildings and lean-tos built into the temple's broad steps or against the walls ringing the temple. Most agriculture is done in small, personal fields between the walls and the temple proper. The res tof hte food is harvested right from the jungle in the form of hunted game or fruit/etc.

You can have lived there all your life, be a recent visitor, a foreigner coming to explore, etc. Most places in the Soa Lands follow this sort of layout, except for the larger settlements which will feature larger spaces of tended land and more permanent, spaced out buildings. There's no real 'inn' system. Most places will let a stranger live and eat for work or trade rather for gems and goods(the usual currency), so there's not a lot of taverns/inns. Your reasons for being there are your own.

Please, do not hesitate to ask questions!

Recruiting will end within the next Two-Three Days.

Characters
    Player Character Class/Race
    Bulwere Golthir Dwarven Cleric/Archer
    Chain Ophai Elf Ranger
    Cognomen Zaid Tiefling Duskblade
    DeRerumNatura Black Smoking Mirror Catfolk Barbarian
    WogWoggle Vayla Zundan Half-Elf Beastmaster
    Last edited by Snacs; 2014-09-10 at 03:04 PM.
    "Fear Vs. Hope. Hardly an even match"

"That's because you think of hope as something light and fragile. My version of hope has calluses and dirt under her fingernails and isn't past bringing brass knuckles to a fight."

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Seek the Sun OOC thread

-Saved for relevant info-

"That's because you think of hope as something light and fragile. My version of hope has calluses and dirt under her fingernails and isn't past bringing brass knuckles to a fight."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hello everyone! Re-posting Zayla's sheet here. She'll be speaking in dark green, unless anyone else would prefer that color. I don't have a preference, really.
    Last edited by Woggle; 2014-09-10 at 02:29 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4

Griffon

Hi folks! Here's Zad's sheet reposted. I'm still working out parts of the crunch...
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5

Ha! I beat you all to it by posting your sheets in the head post! mwaha.>_>

IC thread will be up soon-ish.

6. - Top - End - #6

Zayla is actually a Half-Elf, not a human. I forgot to change it at the top of my sheet, sorry for the confusion .

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Wogwoggle View Post
    Zayla is actually a Half-Elf, not a human. I forgot to change it at the top of my sheet, sorry for the confusion .
    Fixed it in the main post. No problemo

8. - Top - End - #8

Super sekrit DM rolls

(1d20+8)[15]
    (1d20+8)[21]

9. - Top - End - #9

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Uuugh. Uuugh all my games are updating at the same time!

*Frantically juggles*

Also claiming Purple for my speech, 'cause
    Last edited by Ezeze; 2014-09-10 at 04:27 PM.
    "Nothing has to be true, but everything has to sound true." - Isaac Asimov (Second Foundation)

Avatar by Serpentine. Ezeze-doll by Recaiden.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    Uuugh. Uuugh all my games are updating at the same time!

*Frantically juggles*
    Post faster. POST FASTER:O*throws pressure on Chain* :P

12. - Top - End - #12

Also everyone the first post is up, start replying!:D

EDIT: Also anything in a spoiler is for that character only. You can read it...but your character doesn't know what's happening in those spoilers. Just a reminder:D
    Last edited by Snacs; 2014-09-10 at 05:20 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Claiming orangey yellow

Also for the non-metric my character is 6 foot and 7 to 8 inches.

If it is to much I can tone down his assholishness.

Spoiler: Picture
    Show

Last edited by DeRerumNatura; 2014-09-10 at 05:46 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

I'm assuming that doing rolls and such in spoilers in the IC thread is acceptable?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DeRerumNatura View Post
    like a leopard attacked by a rabbit
    I appreciate this metaphor

I'm going to give some other people a chance to post.
    Last edited by Ezeze; 2014-09-10 at 06:07 PM.
    "Nothing has to be true, but everything has to sound true." - Isaac Asimov (Second Foundation)

Avatar by Serpentine. Ezeze-doll by Recaiden.

16. - Top - End - #16

Spoiler: Sekrit DM Rolling
    Show

(1d20+4)[20]
    (1d20+1)[17]
    (1d20-5)[-4]

(1d20+8)[18]

(1d20)[13]
    (1d20)[19]
    (1d20)[13]
    (1d20)[10]
    (1d20)[4]

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

*looks at the DM rolling*
    I am getting worried

18. - Top - End - #18

*looks at the DM rolling*
    I am getting worried
    :D

I'd just leave the :D but the forums doesn't let me reply with less than a certain amount of characters...>_>

19. - Top - End - #19

Quick roll
    (1d20+1)[18]

20. - Top - End - #20

Griffon

I've been meaning to ask - do any of us know each other IC? It seems like Zaid, Vayla and Golthir at least have been living in the area for some time, and probably Ophai as well?
    Last edited by Cognomen; 2014-09-11 at 01:54 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Cognomen View Post
    I've been meaning to ask - do any of us know each other IC? It seems like Zaid, Vayla and Golthir at least have been living in the area for some time, and probably Ophai as well?
    You all know each-other in that there's maybe 60 people total in the temple, and it's hard not to at least know 'of' everyone.

You may not be friends, but you've seen eachother:D

22. - Top - End - #22

Is it alright if I make a quick change to Vayla's weapons (swapping the terbutje for an obsidian handaxe)? I just feel it would fit better with her being a hunter. She wouldn't really have a hunting use for the terbutje, whereas a handaxe is much more utilitarian.
    Last edited by Woggle; 2014-09-11 at 10:40 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Wogwoggle View Post
    Is it alright if I make a quick change to Vayla's weapons (swapping the terbutje for an obsidian handaxe)? I just feel it would fit better with her being a hunter. She wouldn't really have a hunting use for the terbutje, whereas a handaxe is much more utilitarian.
    Sure. Fine with me.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Little burnt out today.

Smoking Mirror ist for a moment just going to stand there trying to wrap his mind around the news.
    Going to post IC tomorrow (but you can move ahead without me).
    Next action depends on if he hears the news Vayla brings.

Perception roll
    (1d20+9)[16]

25. - Top - End - #25

Little burnt out today.

Smoking Mirror ist for a moment just going to stand there trying to wrap his mind around the news.
    Going to post IC tomorrow (but you can move ahead without me).
    Next action depends on if he hears the news Vayla brings.

Perception roll
    [roll0]
    Yup!I'm waiting a bit for some posts before I update much else.

Also it's my birthday, so I'm gonna relax today:D

26. - Top - End - #26

Happy Birthday!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Happy Birthday.

I would sing, but I donnot hate you enough

Also going Black Smoking Mirror wants to kill something, doesnt matter who or what.
    Thats how he deals with, well everything :D, including being happy (or having eaten something tasty, or needing to wash his loincloth )

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Sorry I haven't been posting; I was planning on work being slow this week.

I'll be in the IC this morning. In the meantime, please picture Golthir looking disapprovingly at, y'know, whatever's convenient.
    playing in Seek the Sun: IC / OOC

29. - Top - End - #29

Griffon

Ooo, happy birthday a bit late, Icarus! Hope you had fun!
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30

Also post incoming