Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default In Blood and Mist - Chapter 1: The Tower Falls

The monthly meeting in Elysium has just begun. As neonates, this is your first opportunity to be presented
    before the gathered Elders and Ancillae of London's Kindred.

Six of the seven Primogen council members are present: Thomas Barker, Primogen of the Gangrel clan is dressed
    in the tweeds of a gentleman farmer, corduroy elbow patches and all. He surveys your group with barely
    disguised disdain.
    Old Nick wears a black zip up hoodie and jeans, and the scarring and disfigurement of his face leaves no
    need to guess at his clan affiliation. He chews gum with the ruins of his mouth and smiles politely to you.
    At least, you guess it's a smile.
    Michael Smith wears a very fine black suit, with tie and shades to match. His short blonde hair is sculpted into
    perfect chaos, and he checks his fingernails for dirt, ignoring your presence completely.
    Ed Taylor has obviously made an effort to dress well, but his grey suit is old and worn, and his shirt is far
    too small for his bulk. He seems genuinely pleased to see you, smiling and waving in greeting.
    Anthony Collins wears a cornflour blue shirt with faded red chinos and a pair of vintage converse. He runs
    his hand through his shoulder length black hair, watching your entrance from the corner of his eye.
    Joseph Gibbs wears a blazer over a faded black Pink Floyd t-shirt, and smart black jeans beneath. He watches you
    suspiciously through the frame of his dark brown hair, falling in ringlets over his forehead.

Isabella von Schreiber, the Tremere Primogen, is notable by her absence.

In addition, three well dressed women sit at a round table beside the stage, sipping blood from champagne
    flutes, these are the three harpies: Jess, Sarah and Emily.

You are led into the wide auditorium by the Keeper of Elysium; Greg Laurent, a Nosferatu with a flare for
    the dramatic. He currently wears the face of a young Paul McGann, but is liable to change at a moment's
    notice.

There are three other neonates brought in with you, one is obviously a female Nosferatu, though the other
    woman and the man could be any clan.

Greg turns to you and warns you in a gruff voice. "Go on in and introduce yourselves. The prince should be
    here shortly. Don't embarrass me."
    WINNER! Villainous Competition XXXII: Selene, Bride of Ruin
    Silver Medallist Villainous Competition XXVI: Faras Alnahr, Dark Scion of the Hippo God

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: In Blood and Mist - Chapter 1: The Tower Falls

Erich Schneider

His mobile phone had rang while he was taking a break in the doctor's room, and of course it had been Greg, one of the five people in the whole of London (in the whole of the world) that has his number.
    "Get your ass to Bush Hall, NHS man" he had said straight away, without so much if an hello, and had proceed to throughly ignore Erich's feeble protests of "but my job" and "I've got patients". So here he was, a tall bespectacled guy dressed in blue jeans and a shirt that look scrounged from the bargain rack at a charity shop, wondering what would constitute as an embarassment for Greg.

Well, he has already gone through this once, and directly in front of the prince nonetheless, he can do it again"Ehm..." he starts "My name is Erich Schneider." He's definitely German, you can tell from his voice, but then again, with a name like that, it isn't much of a guess. He makes a sort of little apologetic smile and adds "Of the clan Tzimisce". He may not know much of vam... kindred society, but he knows that people expect to know what clan you're from. "I... don't think I know any of you. Nice to meet you." he finishes awkwardly.
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2014-09-11 at 11:57 AM.

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Sadie had put this off for sometime now, she'd had no desire to be put in a position to be recognized by the Elders and Prince of London. However, her instincts told her that if she had pushed the bounds of tolerance as far as she dared and so was present. Once she'd decided that this was the correct move to make she did it to the fullest, she found something pretty to wear, yet unassuming and playing on her girlish frame, she wanted to present those in Elysium as a completely non-threatening... and the visage of a young girl usually did the trick. She pulled her hair back into a ponytail, wore little make-up, and tried her best to look like a girl playing dress-up. In her hand she carried the zippo lighter, the metal against her hand slightly comforting and helping to hold her together .

She watched as the Tzimsce introduced himself to the Primogen, and a smile crossed her lips, briefly. She hadn't ever known a Fiend to take up in a Camarilla city before, not of his own free will. When he departed their presence she decided now was the best time for her to do so.

Sadie approached the gathered Elders, dropped a curtsy to them all, "Your Eminences, I am Sadie, my Sire is Marcel Auxiere, I present myself to you and to the Prince and ask for His hospitality." She glanced upwards, cocking her head slightly and examining the Primogen seated before her. She straightened herself, letting the curtsy go, and gave the lighter in her hand just a little bit tighter squeeze. She was resisting for the moment the urge to flick open the lid and strike it, but Marcel had drilled into her how poorly that would be received in an introduction. She also felt the empty feeling inside, if she'd been mortal she would have said her stomach growled. Once she was either ignored or dismissed she curtsied again and retreated.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Aislinn was pouring over one of the few texts she had access to in the Chantry library, mildly irritated that all of this invaluable information was still stored on archaic paper and vellum. Fortunately her preternaturally heightened senses permitted her to read effortlessly in the dim light. She felt a slight buzzing and pulled out her smartphone, which seemed anachronistic in the antiquated archive. Bertram had informed her of all of the important players in London before she left home, so she recognized the name at the end of the message "inviting" her to Elysium. She suspected it was less of an invitation and more of a summons, but she was more curious as to how Greg Laurent got her number. Though from what she had heard about Nosferatu abilities, she figured she should not be surprised. She returned the manuscript to its shelf, put on her jacket, and headed out.

As she arrived at Elysium, she saw that she was probably not the only neonate to be presented to the leadership tonight. She was able to extrapolate the identities of a few of the Primogen, but none of them fit the description of the Tremere representative, Primogen von Schreiber. Nevertheless, she knew her Clan expected her to project power, as power and the perception of power were supposedly two of the few things keeping the Usurpers from a decidedly ashy fate. She almost lost her composure when she heard another neonate introduce himself as a Tzimisce, but she managed to not betray herself. She knew the Fiends were supposedly holding onto a millennium-old vendetta against her Clan. Though this one might be a bit more open-minded about old hatred, seeing as he was being presented at Camarilla Elysium. Perhaps he could be turned into an asset...

Next there was a a mere girl, or at least she appeared to be one. She was still acclimating to the fact that apparent and actual age seldom matched among Kindred.

"Greetings, Kindred," she began after the girl, speaking in a honeyed voice with an Irish accent and a resolute gaze. "I am Aislinn Ní Fhiachrach, Childe of Maynard Bertram in Dublin and a member of the Clan Tremere," she finished, not bothering to give an anglicized version of her Gaelic surname. She hoped she presented the proper balance of pride and humility to garner respect without going so far as to be insulting. But she was still only a few months dead, so she had insufficient experience in Kindred culture to determine if she was successful.
    Last edited by Arilus; 2014-09-11 at 01:11 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

Mercer

Mercer lurked. It was a talent he'd been working on - to be present in such a way that he was barely noticeable, but just present enough that the threat of his company was a pressing one. Kine can't stand the sight of us, and kindred would rather not have to, his Sire always said.

He followed the girl - Sadie, she was calling herself. He'd been over by her place in Knightsbridge a few times since she popped up in the city. Keeping tabs. Right now, she was his favorite little puzzle in the whole London landscape. Hey, a guy's gotta have a hobby.

He slipped the mask off, flashing a macabre, too-wide grin. His fangs - permanent now, since they wouldn't fit back in his face after the first time he'd popped them out - flashed red and wet in the light. The blood in his mouth was another gruesome side-effect of his embrace, a gash on his tongue where he'd almost bit it off. His voice a low, phlegmy rasp, he set off, "Lords, Ladies, good people of the upstanding underground monster community - wotcha." he wasn't being very polite, but he wasn't entirely taking the mick, either - he'd seen all of these faces before, and they'd seen him in his official capacity of message boy and brown nose, so this was a formality for him, "Name's Mercer, and I know that sounds like mercy, but don't go getting them confused, 'cause I got a bit in common with a Little Monster, savvy? Now, I'm real chuffed to meet our Primogen, and all, but I've been up here on the Ivory Tower once or twice myself, so I'll just step aside and let someone else have a go, shall I?"

He flashed his grin again and pulled his mask back over his face. That should have been just the right amount of vulgar, just coarse enough to play into the Nosferatu stereotype. Then again, maybe it was too far... smiling to himself, he cut a deep bow just to patch up the holes in his introduction and went back to skulking quietly to the side.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

It is a rare day indeed when someone like Cyrus is called to stand before before the Primogen, especially because of the lengths he had gone to to avoid their notice. As far as he knew, he wasn't registered with any phone companies as of yet, and he had even gone to the effort of setting up his secondary identity with a legitimate address. But, the summons had come, and so here he was, standing in front of six of the seven most powerful vampires in the city.

Waiting until after most of the other Kindred called with him had stepped forward and introduced themselves, Cyrus finally takes a few steps forwards and bows to the assembled leaders, tugging the back of his coat down when it begins to ride up. "Lords, ladies," he says. "My name is Cyrus Reem of the clan Brujah, Childe of none, taught the ways of Kindred and clan by Leigh Abney. I present myself to you and to the Prince, and ask for your hospitality." After waiting a few beats for either acknowledgement or dismissal, he steps back in line with another bow.
    Last edited by DoctorFaust; 2014-09-11 at 11:50 PM.
    Main character-ish avatar by Oneris.
    Onyx 5: Volsung. May he live forever.

I have a quote!
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    You are a sick and twisted man.
    I like you.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

Adrian

Among the walking talking carcasses assembled, Adrian found his eyes drawn first to the Nosferatu. In a strange way, their peculiar and individual monstrosities really caught the eye, like a turd in the Louvre. Among the mystery and enchantment of these immortal monsters, you find these little speckles of freakish strangeness flavoring the mix, he thought to himself. First among the sewer rats was their Primogen, Old Nick, chewing away at something. Possibly his own tongue? Gruesome. Mr. Laurent, who Adrian hadn’t quite figured out yet, had been their gruff but oddly caring guide for the evening. There were two other Nosferatu among the neonates; the female over there, who hadn’t spoken yet, and the truly nasty fellow. Adrian was already vaguely aware of Mercer, in the way that you were vaguely aware of a bad smell that was just about to really settle in the air around you if you didn’t get away quickly. He imagined that people tended to call him ‘That friggin guy’ rather than use his actual name. Still, Mercer seemed to be a person who knew what he was. Most Nosferatu did, and Adrian respected that deeply. Curious about the female Nossie though, what’s her story…?

Of course, the German had been first to speak, not Mercer. It was fascinating, being able to put a face and demeanor to the little details he had picked up about the Tzimisce several months ago. Erich was indeed quite tall, and even in this first impression he appeared to be… almost sweet, at least to Adrian’s eyes. He’s the sweet to Mercer’s sour, perhaps. Ah, now this young girl… Her name was Sadie. Sadie had curtsied. She called them ‘Eminences’. She looked them right in the eyes. What confidence! An unexpected follow-up to the humble, rather awkward Erich. Surely this Sadie was someone to know, but something instinctual… something primal… warned Adrian to be just a little bit cautious. This Aislinn gave more strident warning signs. Hell, they were more like raid sirens. She was beautiful, busty, and decidedly predatory. Adrian couldn’t put a finger on why he felt that way, but this Irish creature may as well have bared her claws at him; his subtle shiver would’ve been just as intense. She, too, was confident and straight forward with her introduction, and her pride in her name suggested a few things about her. Then a man named Cyrus Reem. Who was this? What was this? Childe of none? Adrian needed to know more, see more, about each of these people, but-

Ah, damn, his turn! No time, have to say what we’re here to say! Let them see, then hear. Adrian stepped out into the light, wearing a damned fine suit that fit him as well as his own skin. The blackness of his clothing slid dangerously over his well-built form, cutting downward from strong shoulders across a broad and motionless chest; no beats, no breathing, solid and silent. His posture hinted at his military background. He was clean, but not soft; no tender hands rubbed with lotion, and no powdered skin to mask the hints of his deathly pallor. He was a dead man, and he wasn’t pretending otherwise. Not tonight. Not in front of these things, and certainly not in front of the damned Harpies at their table.

“Adrian Smith.” he announced to the air, a little amused that he shared a last name with the Toreador Primogen. “Ventrue.” That was all, really. They knew who he was. This wasn’t some roll call, and it wasn’t a formation. These beasts wanted to see what Adrian was seeing. They wanted to get the scent of the new predators on the Savannah, so they’d know each other’s piss and bark scratches when they came ‘round. Adrian turned to join those who had spoken, unafraid to meet the gaze of any who were checking him out in turn. So much to see tonight…

8. - Top - End - #8

PaladinGuy

Next in line for the introductions are the three other neonates. The first to step forward is the rather plain looking woman, she appears to be of oriental descent, but that blood has been diluted by generations of intermingling with pasty Londoners, so the difference is very subtle.
    She coughs nervously, forgetting that she doesn't need to. "Hello. I'm Joy, just Joy.
    My clan is Brujah, my sire is Jessica Malone"
    she nods her head at the red-headed Harpy.
    "And I'll do what I can to serve." she offers a tight smile, and steps back into line.

Next up is the gentleman, he polishes his glasses discreetly before bowing low before the Primogen council and flashing a wide grin to the assembled masses. "Ladies and Gentlemen! I have the great pleasure of being David Maycock, Childe of Sheriff Michael Smith, Childe of the Prince himself. It is my great honour to be member in good standing of the illustrious Clan Toreador, and I shall bring glory to clan and Camarilla, given a chance."
    He steps back and adjusts his tie, smiling smugly at his own self importance.

Lastly, the female Nosferatu steps forward. She makes an exaggerated bow in obvious mockery of the Toreador, and speaks"I'd like to thank my Sire, for everything he's done for me, my director, for making this all possible..." she waves her hand in front of her face, feigning Oscar acceptance tears. She shoots a look at David, and his face is distorted into cold fury. She smiles.
    "Jackie Bates, Nossy, obviously. Greg's my pappy. Happy to help."
    WINNER! Villainous Competition XXXII: Selene, Bride of Ruin
    Silver Medallist Villainous Competition XXVI: Faras Alnahr, Dark Scion of the Hippo God

9. - Top - End - #9

ClericGuy

Hayden barely had enough time to learn how to survive as a Kindred now, let alone be thrust in front of the primogen of the city, he never even got to change his clothes, still wearing the dingy sweater and jeans he wore since his embrace. He was lucky enough to learn what clan and about the Camarilla from his sire before disappearing. Walking into the auditorium and taking his place next to the other neonates, he never really met any other vampires then his own clan, she he didnt know what to expect, but he never could have imagined what he saw. The two "Nosferatu" so they were called, we're disgustingly ugly beyond anything he had ever seen, the smell and sight of rotting skin was something he would never get used to. Hayden wanted to comment on it, but he knew that would only make things worse.

Watching as the others introduced themselves to the Primogen, Hayden steps forward as it came to his turn. "Hayden Conners, Childe of clan Gangrel. I present myself to you." he manages to say, holding back his anxiety. Was that what he was supposed to say? He was never very good at these kinds of things, and hoped to get out of this situation as quickly as possible.
    Last edited by Danteric; 2014-09-13 at 09:58 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler
    Show

Just stay calm. On the face of it, this wasn't that hard. He had no heartbeat, and he didn't sweat any more. What was more, he'd had an entire lifetime of learning how to code switch; in fact his masters work had been on that very subject. He'd watched everyone else present themselves, and despite what was supposed to be eons of accumulated experience at keeping a poker face, these Primogens seemed readable enough. On the face of it, they didn't seem that different from some of the gang members in the barrios back home: treat them with respect, and you'll never be in trouble. Just stay calm, and don't include any obvious fibs to start.

His fingers untangled from Joanna's, and he straightened his suit jacket. As the Gangrel returned to his position, he advanced calmly and with all the confidence years of doing job interviews had taught him. As he spoke, his tanned skin and Hispanic descent was clearly belied by his Midwestern American accent, one that he had used to scrub his old accent clean. "Greetings, Primogen of London. My full name is Juan Carlos Mendoza-Hernandez, but I am often go by John. I'm here from Los Angelos in the United States. I'm not certain what I can do to help such as yourselves, but if you have need of me, you need only ask. In the meantime, I ask for your hospitality, both on behalf of myself and behalf of Joanna, my fiance." A glance and a nod turned back to the young lady whose hand he had been clasping. Her large brown eyes met his for a moment, and then her glance turned to the Primogens beyond him and she offered them a courteous smile.
    Last edited by McStabbington; 2014-09-15 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Spoiler that stuff!

11. - Top - End - #11

The Primogen each listen, in their own fashion, to the introductions given. As the last neonate, John, speaks his piece, the Primogen begin talking among themselves, their voices low and just under the hearing… Unless of course you are a Tremere with her senses magnified… But before any words can be picked out by Aislinn, Gregory speaks up. He grins with Paul McGann’s face, twisting the actor’s visage in a way you’ve certainly never seen in film or television. “You did fine.” He tells you. “As well as I expected.” He gestures toward the small stairs leading down into the Elysium proper, a broad and curiously-lit area still in view of the stage. “Now go on, go mingle. And don’t scratch up the furniture. We’ll call you back up here when it’s time.”

Near the stage, three chairs angled around a circular table can be seen. One is black, one is red, and one is a revolting shade of burnt orange. On the table is a single glass vase holding a white rose. Encircling the glass vase are fresh red rose petals.

In another area, there is a long, black sectional sofa, arranged in a ‘U’ shape around a knee-high table. The table is covered with a variety of brochures for local kine events; music shows, plays, political rallies and so on. The sofa itself looks comfortable enough, with matching pillows, though there is one pillow with a zebra pattern on it.

There is a small laptop computer set up on a table, plugged in to a wall socket. An audio cable links it with some low-quality standing speakers, and it’s playing a local evening radio show. The laptop does not appear to be connected to the internet, wireless or otherwise.

There is a dance floor, indicated by a black and white checkered flooring.

There are a variety of dining room tables with no real utensils or plates to speak of. One of them can seat six.

There are some comfortable looking chairs arranged next to a large bookcase.

Otherwise, the place is empty. You are the night-life, such as it is. For now...

12. - Top - End - #12

Seeing all of the neonates introduce themselves offered Aislinn preliminary data on the other young Kindred. She was especially interested in Erich and Mercer. The Tzimisce would need to be studied. If she could make suitable use of him, it could gain her status in the Pyramid and, more importantly, serve her own advantage. Her interest in Mercer was the same as all Nosferatu. Despite their hideous appearance, or possibly because of it, they were reputed to the be the premier information brokers among the undead. Friendly association with the Sewer Rats could be incredibly valuable, though she would have to be careful to not be manipulated herself by the selective presentation of the very information she lusts after. Her memory was excellent before, but is has been elevated to nearly perfect since her Embrace, so she took in as much as she could for later analysis.

Deciding to take Greg Laurent up on his offer, Aislinn decided to head towards the comfortable-looking chairs near the bookcase, arranging her posture in a subtle "come hither" posture that typically worked on the opposite sex—or at least the mortal ones—and meant that she was in the position of the one to be approached instead of vice versa, which was always preferable. This was complemented by her somewhat dishevelled appearance and untucked shirt. Being neat and tidy was not the only way to appeal the senses, and her method required far less work. She continued observing the rest of the assembled neonates with slightly hooded eyes, but was prepared to peruse the nearby books if they began to bore her. Her eyes were, in fact, the one aspect of her appearance that was uninviting. Perceptive individuals sometimes discerned that behind the sensuality of her countenance and voice were cold, calculating eyes.
    Last edited by Arilus; 2014-09-16 at 09:53 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Mercer
    the dining room

Lurking is a skill. A talent, even. Not everyone can lurk properly. It takes a finely honed sense and a certain level of low-key maliciousness. Mercer was good at it. Maybe it was a clan thing. Maybe it wasn't. But nobody can lurk quite like a nightmare.

The furniture was a nice, classic affair - several degrees better than the crap you got in the underground, which was mostly cast-offs and scrap. He sat at the head of the table, scratching at the veneer with a fingernail. "A poem," he mutters, watching the newly-post fledged filter into the place, "A bird flutters down and sings me a song, but the song wasn't pretty - the song was all wrong. My bird always came at the call and the beck, so when next he came down I snapped his damn neck."

He paused, studying the other neonates. Two birds - Unpronounceable and Sadie. Then there was the bonesaw, the mutt, the stray, and the anachronism. Erich, Hayden, Adrian and Cyrus. And the pretty one. Me. And the odd duck out - Johnny boy. The only one who wouldn't admit a clan, the only one who brought a guest... questions and answers. A new game.

Good.

Mercer put his fingers through the slit in the mask, whistling loudly. He waved enthusiastically in the air at anyone looking in his direction, and patted the chair next to him.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Cyrus:The Dining Room

Grateful for the reprieve, Cyrus walks off the stage a few steps behind the majority of the group. He pauses a moment to shrug out of his jacket and look around the room, slowly fingering a rose petal from the table beside him as he watches the other Kindred start to form into groups.

Making a snap decision, he strides off towards the one that introduced himself as a Nosferatu, the only one wearing a literal mask as opposed to a metaphorical one. Cyrus nods in acknowledgement to the wave, and sits down besides Mercer, tossing his jacket up on the table. "Well," he drawls, "I was not expecting these summons. Thought I had hid my tracks well enough, but I guess I was wrong. You ever been called here before?"

I have a quote!
    I like you.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Sadie took the dismissal for what it was and turned away from the Priomgen, she examined the room and with it all the other neonates in the room. The Brujah and Gangrel were short and succinct; but Childe of none? Everyone has a parent. The Toreador was a pompous ass, nothing new there. Tzimsce and Tremere, in the same room and they thought she played with fire? Nosferatu, the sneaks… she wondered at them and if the flames would make them prettier or uglier? And lastly the one who claimed no Clan. Now that her back was turned to the council, and she was a few steps away she flicked the lighter in her hand open, gave a furtive glance in each direction, and sparked it to life. It was just for a moment, then she flicked the lid closed with practiced ease and pocketed the lighter. However, the look of relief on her face was there for those who were paying attention to see.

Sadie paid attention Aislinn and the posture she exuded, she also paid attention to Mercer and the posture he tried not to exude. It was an interesting contrast; it was also interesting that the Brujah, with no Sire, chose to speak to the Nosferatu over the Tremere. Saide made no move to join either one for the moment, the papers in front of the sofa drew her attention and so she flopped down onto the black leather and snatched one up at random, giggling to herself at the name of the band being advertised. Her feet were propped up on the table in front of her, but she had to slouch down in the sofa's seat to reach it. She took a glance around the room again after she'd settled herself, just to make sure that everyone was where they should be.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Erich
    Near the bookcase

Erich isn't sure whether to be relieved or miffed. On one hand, if that was all, that's gone considerably better than it could have. On the other, he had had patients, dammit. He had to ask a favour from a colleague to manage to take the rest of the night off, and Erich doesn't like asking favours - too dangerous to attract people's attention on himself. He pushes his glasses back on the bridge of his nose and grabs his bag - why on earth he's brought it with him is anybody's guess: force of habit, really - and he looks around the area, trying to decide what to do.

He would be tempted to join the Nosferatu - he is inclined to regard Nosferatu favourably after his experience with Greg - but he seems already engaged in conversation, and he doesn't want to intrude. And altought he is aware that it's quite prejudicial of him, the little girl is, frankly, a bit too creepy to approach - talking to her like an adult would make him feel like a pervert.

He's still musing on how bizzarre his life has become when he sees the lady with the strange name sitting alone near the books, and not talking to anybody at the moment. That's probably his best bet, if he wants to mingle. "Good evening" he says to her quite formally, extending a hand for an handshake "Erich. Er... I don't think I caught your full name. "
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2014-09-16 at 01:16 PM.

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

17. - Top - End - #17

Aislinn: Near the Bookcase

Aislinn was surprised to see the Tzimisce choose her over the other scattered neonates. And even more surprised that he seemed quite friendly. In fact everything about him was so inconsistent with all she knew of the Clan that she briefly wondered whether her sire had lied to her, though she settled on the probability that Erich is an anomaly among the Fiends. Something had to lead his a likely defection to the Camarilla, after all. If he was like most Fiends, he wouldn't be here in the first place. Regardless, this was a valuable opportunity to establish a rapport with him and assess his potential utility.

"Let's go with Aislinn O'Feary, Herr Schneider," she replied in a warm tone whilst shaking the extended hand from her seated position, suspecting that this timid Kindred would respond best to cordiality and a German honorific. She didn't have much German, but she knew a few words. She decided that anglicizing "Ní Fhiachrach" was appropriate in this case. The form always depended on her audience.

"If you don't mind my asking, what brings you to London?" she followed up. She wanted to broach the real subject as delicately as possible. What she was leading up to was what on Earth a Tzimisce was doing in the Camarilla and speaking to a Tremere, but asking the question outright would probably be a faux pas that would lead to the German clamming up. Though maintaining the appropriate amount of eye contact, she was using her peripheral vision to look for anything that could help her get a beat on Erich. Even with her enhanced senses, she didn't see anything yet, as her talents for observation were more prominent in a laboratory than a social gathering. She did not need to be too keen to get what she wanted from the living when she was one of them, but Kindred were much more complicated to deal with.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Erich
    Near the bookcase

Erich frowns, confused. That wasn't the surname she mentioned before, he's sure of it. Maybe it's an anglicised form? Makes sense, if she's Irish. He smiles as he shakes her hand, a quite firm, warm handshake. Literally, she would notice: his hand isn't cold as it would be standard for a vampire, and... is he breathing? He's definitely breathing. "Erich, please" he corrects. "And...work, mostly. I'm a doctor, and the Royal hospital is quite a prestigious institution" Which is true enough, even if it brushes under the carpet a whole lot of other issues. But, as Greg had said, 'Discretion is the soul of valour, Florence Nightingale, so keep your head down and don't make bloody waves'. Which, as far as he's concerned, is an excellent suggestion.

He lays his bag, a heavy-looking, scruffy leather thing, on the ground and takes one of the other seats. "What about you, miss O'Feary?"

19. - Top - End - #19

Aislinn: Near the Bookcase

Aislinn was taken aback at the illusion of life in Erich. She was accustomed to inducing such mimicry due to the benefits it conferred whilst hunting around the South Kensington campus. But this one was spending valuable vitae for no conceivable reason...unless he had a way to accomplish the feat without starving himself. Being a practising doctor could be advantageous if he was cooperative, as acquiring medical grade EDTA and glycerol would permit her to safely store blood for up to 30 days, which could be useful for her thaumaturgical experiments.

"Indeed it is doctor," she responded to his apparent pride in the location of his practice in the same mellifluous voice. He still must have the mindset of a human to think such mortal institutions retain prestige. She may still be young, but she had adapted to her inhuman nature enthusiastically. At least as far as she could without giving the Beast ground.

"I am a lecturer at Imperial College," she answered to his perfunctory return of her question, seeing no reason for deception on the matter. A scientific profession might even insight some camaraderie in a doctor. "Fortunately, entomology is not competitive enough for unwanted attention," she finished. She had always been fascinated by insects, and figured she wanted a low-profile department to Dominate and seduce her way into. She hadn't even finished her baccalaureate at Trinity College, so she had to resort to an unconventional job application.

She was surprised by the thought, but she kind of hoped this Tzimisce did with his practice what the Clan was notorious for. Imagine the biothaumaturgical insight she could gain from access to one of their twisted hybrid art studio-laboratories! Such thoughts got her curiosity going, and she decided to skip some of the typical few steps of small talk. Besides, it almost always was about the weather back home, and she could meet her Final Death happy if she never had to talk about the weather again.

"So tell me, Erich, how did you end up here, welcome in Camarilla Elysium? Your Clan is known for their support of the Sabbat, as I'm sure you are aware," she asked. She left out the obvious in no small part because of the presence of the Tremere.

20. - Top - End - #20

Mercer

Mercer whistled long and low, under his breath. Not the fish he'd hoped to catch, but when you're angling in such a narrow stream, you have to be ready for a bad haul. Mercer studied Cyrus for a while, peering out the eye-holes of the plastic Halloween mask he'd chosen for this special occasion. It was cheap, blank, white-faced and had no expression. he liked to call it his 'carefully composed' mask. And he'd been inches from the luchador mask, too.

"Well." he eventually said, poking the jacket with his twisted finger, "I've been around. Ask any bird who's been here twice in a row, and they'll chirp. 'Ol Mercer' they'll say, 'he's a right fine chap. Paid his dues, has he.'"

"Ain't seen you much at all, though, mate. So let's say, I say you were hiding well enough - what dues have you paid? See, you gotta be asking yourself... why are they moving you to the big time? Why you particularly? What are they getting out of you love?"

21. - Top - End - #21

Adrian
    On The Stage

A Gangrel was among them as well, dressed a little shabbily in Adrian’s opinion. It was possible that this Mr. Conners hadn’t received much forewarning. Adrian reminded himself not to be to judgmental; this was a stressful event. Still, the Gangrel didn’t appear anxious. That was respectable. Then this Mr. Mendoza-Hernandez, and his fiancée. Curious, no Clan to claim? Or none to announce, just like that girl Sadie.

Adrian
    Sectional Couch

He wasn't sure what to make of the young girl sitting at the black couch arrangement, obviously amused by whatever she was reading. She was a Kindred, surely, an immortal monster just like him. Yet she was a young teen, in apparent age. What kind of mind was there, that introduced herself bravely to the Primogen? In this world of undead, a child could be thousands of years old, and an old man could be a neonate, new and uncertain.

Adrian passed by the couch on the opposite side of the other Kindred, and he decided to politely greet her. "Good evening. Your name was Sadie, right?"

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Sadie glanced over a the well-dressed man as he passed by the couch, and she almost dismissed him as he went by. However, he chose to stop and speak to her instead. Sadie sat up, putting her feet on the floor and placing her elbows on her knees, and crossed her arms. Her head was leaned forward, allowing her hair to obscure her face, but she was looking up at Adrian through the blonde strands. "Yes, I said that Adrian Ventrue." The urge to reach back in her pocket was there, Adrian put her hackles up. He was just exactly the kind of man she would have run from a decade ago, but that was then and here she needed to project some confidence. "You can sit, I won't bite." Sadie quipped with a giggle and smile, That's it, keep your calm, talk to him like a person, not a monster. Well, not THAT kind of monster. She resisted the urge to delve back into her pocket for her lighter, she didn't need to be nervous, she didn't need to feel afraid... he wasn't interested in her like that... she hoped.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Cyrus

"What dues have I paid? A hundred and fifty years of Torpor, and all of my memories before the Embrace but two. Those are my dues." Cyrus snots in amusement. "But look at me, getting all pissy about it. As for what they can get out of me, well, I'm a good gun arm and I have ties to some higher Kindred up north. That's about it."

Eager to drag the conversation away from himself, he points towards where the man who introduced himself as a Ventrue and the one that looks like young girl are introducing themselves to each other, and says, "If you've been around, what d'you know about those two?
    Last edited by DoctorFaust; 2014-09-17 at 11:00 AM.

I have a quote!
    I like you.

24. - Top - End - #24

Adrian
    Sectional Couch

He took her invitation to sit, settling down on the part of the couch on the opposite side. He laid his hands comfortably on his knees, the act making his sleeves slide up to show a silver luxury watch on his left wrist. He also noted that she had used his Clan name as his last name. "So, if I am Adrian Ventrue, you would be Sadie...?"
    Last edited by OldRenovator; 2014-09-17 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Had wrong location.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Sadie smiled, taking note of his choice of seating. "My Sire named me Sadie." He had wanted her to carry his surname, but she'd resisted. She'd resisted that for a very long time, almost until the end. That name had been the first thing to go when she'd fled, along with the cameo and choker he'd had given her before her Embrace. Her hand reflexively went to her throat when she remembered that cameo being placed around her throat. If she'd known then what it represented she'd have lost it long, long ago... before. Once she realized that she'd raised her hand she lowered it again, those memories were dangerous. She flipped her head back to clear her hair from her face and looked back at Adrian without the thin veil between their gazes, she chewed a little bit at the inside of her mouth. "I think we can safely rule out Sadie Nosferatu, or Tzimsce, and since I can see myself in the glass here, Lasombra, too... the question is, does my clan not claim me or do I not claim my clan or am I just pranking you because I like watching blue bloods squirm when they don't know what is going on?" A wry smile spread across her face at that, and finally she answered. "My sire said he was of Enoch, through Malkav. But he was demented, and not in the good way. As for me, he said I would never be one of them unless I did exactly as he bid me, and since I didn't, I suppose I'm of none."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Erich
    Near the bookcase

And here it is. Not that her question comes exactly as a surprise. Greg had grilled him truly and properly on the same matter, and, after a fashion, so has the Prince. His smile becomes just a bit more tense "Yes, well... there were, let's say, some slight divergences of opinions on some matters." he replies, with a slight shrug that aims for casual but doesn't quite make it. That is certainly one way of putting it. 'When Luther showed me what I was expected to be doing I had to run out of the room and try to puke my guts off even if I technically can't do it anymore' would be another, but that's a touch too personal to talk about to a perfect stranger. He's told Greg, but Greg has a way with people that makes you confide in him.

"Entomology, that is an interesting subject" he says instead. "If I may ask, how do you manage the, er... daylight lectures?"

27. - Top - End - #27

Aislinn
    Near the Bookcase

Even though she didn't get a straight answer, Aislinn was actually quite pleased by Erich's response as it increased the probability that his attitude is fairly genuine. If he had ulterior motives, he likely would have given a plausible explanation, albeit one that was mostly lies. Instead, he had given an evasive answer that didn't actually say anything.

"The class scheduler is really quite fond of me," she explained with a wry smile. "He is kind enough to only assign me night classes."

She briefly contemplated whether to press the real issue further. The odds were currently on the side that he is as virtuous as he portrays himself. Given that prospect, there was a good chance she could get him to open up at least a bit more and that there was value in attempting to. She no longer possess true empathy, but experience told her that she was quite good at pretending she did.

"Given Tzimisce proclivities, I can imagine a few things any decent Kindred would find unacceptable. Hence why the Tzimisce have a hatred above all for my Clan. Was there any issue in particular?" she asked in her most compassionate tone of voice. She figured that framing the issue in such a way that confiding in her demonstrated a strength of character was the best tactic to choose. Mentioning the vendetta that has persisted throughout the millennium may have helped as well. Though she had been taught enough of Tremere history to know that she outright lied about the reason behind it. But since the Sabbat are not known for educating their childer too well, hopefully Erich would not catch her in that lie. She wasn't sure if many younger Tzimisce even know why they loathe the Tremere so, only that they are supposed to.

28. - Top - End - #28

Adrian
    Sectional Couch

Adrian listened as Sadie spoke, not sure what to make of the movement toward her throat. He felt that knowing another's clan was important, but perhaps it was too personal to ask if someone chose not to offer it. Or perhaps she was, as she said, just pranking him. And then, of course, the blue-blood jab. Was that because of his clan, or because he looked a certain way? That was the nature of perceptions, he supposed.

Then she revealed a little more, and that she supposed she wasn't a part of any clan. "Alright." he managed to say, when his voice found him. Was there anything someone could say to something like that? Well, he had elicited her Clan, to which she didn't really seem to feel any particular membership. This Kindred culture was all too strange, too new. Despite his time as a Ghoul, and his experience in the mortal political world, he knew so little about Kindred social interactions. He had to learn more, but not at the risk of saying the wrong thing, or asking an offensive question.

"I really, truly, don't know what's going on." he decided to admit to her. "And it definitely makes me squirm. I feel like any minute now I'll be shot or eaten because I say the wrong thing to the wrong person. It's like... being in some strange foreign tribe, and if you show the bottoms of your feet they'll turn and rend you for disrespect."
    Last edited by OldRenovator; 2014-09-17 at 01:56 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Erich

Erich arches an eyebrow "I'm quite sure" he says carefully ""That the hatred you mention didn't come from ideological divergences, but goes all the way back to how your clan was founded" Erich may have tried to avoid the laboratories like the plague in those first, horrible couple of months before managing to disappear from Berlin, but he had perused the library extensively. If only because it gave him an excuse to postpone starting to help his sire with his 'experiments'. "Plus, you know, centuries of war fought over power and territory." It's entirely possible that she doesn't know about it, and it's attaching motivations to something she's been told just in passing. It's something that happened ages ago, really. "It makes for fascinating read, really, how vampire and human history intermingle" He smiles slightly. "But yes, my clan's reputation was...ah, part of what the divergence of opinion was about."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Sadie nodded, perhaps he wasn't the predator she feared him to be, but then she'd thought that of Marcel at first and she knew how that turned out. "Kindred society is easy, be the strongest and do what you will. Be the weakest and do what all others will. That is, unless your crazy, and then you do as none will." She brushed her hands down her skirt, smoothing it and then rested her hands in her lap. "Once you are strongest you get to make the rules... and the rules always favor the one in power."