New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dysfunctional Rules VI: Magic Circle Against Errata

The only dysfunction with the Beloved of Valarian's unicorn is that the writers didn't know the difference between "chaste" and "celibate". All Beloved of Valarians are female, and if they "ever willingly couple with a mortal, the unicorn leaves her company without hard feelings or regret".
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

I've always chalked that up to the Beloved being...betrothed to the unicorn.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    The only dysfunction with the Beloved of Valarian's unicorn is that the writers didn't know the difference between "chaste" and "celibate". All Beloved of Valarians are female, and if they "ever willingly couple with a mortal, the unicorn leaves her company without hard feelings or regret".
    The addition of "mortal" to that sentence has some disturbing implications. It's also rather redundant, given that it has vow of chasity as a prereq. When you combine the two, though, it means that immortal objects are fair game. Make of it what you will.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

It is possible to have the same subtype twice. A human can take the Human Heritage feat (which, even when not dysfunctional, is still pretty weird), gaining the human subtype while keeping his old subtypes. He'd now be a Humanoid (human) (human).
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Firbolg in the Playground

Well Mortal is used to both describe creatures who age, and creatures who aren't gods. So, are you stuck with Elan's and Killoren's [Ignoring Warforged and Necropolitins for obvious reasons and Neraph's because Neraph... but then again, Humans, also ignoring most other fey/outsiders due to access difficulties], or are you stuck with just gods?
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Hunter's Recruitment
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
    Saying no to a Sun's Hunter is as close as it gets to an invitation to have your place destroyed by them)\
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    In other words, be nice to the murderhobos so they don't murder you?
    Quote Originally Posted by JanusJones View Post
    The professional, well-funded, well-backed, card-carrying, licensed murderhobos, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Congrats, you made me laugh hard enough to draw my family's attention.

Life is Hectic.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    Well Mortal is used to both describe creatures who age, and creatures who aren't gods. So, are you stuck with Elan's and Killoren's [Ignoring Warforged and Necropolitins for obvious reasons and Neraph's because Neraph... but then again, Humans, also ignoring most other fey/outsiders due to access difficulties], or are you stuck with just gods?
    Like I said, vow of chasity says "any other creature", so all of those are out. Objects are still fine.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    Like I said, vow of chasity says "any other creature", so all of those are out. Objects are still fine.
    Spoiler: image
    Show
    I reserve the right to be wrong and will use that right whenever it happens

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Weeeeellll....

Lichloved [Vile]
    By repeatedly committing perverted sex acts with the undead, the character gains dread powers.

Prerequisite: Evil Brand

Benefit: Mindless undead see the character as an undead creature. Becoming more and more like an actual undead creature, he gains a +1 circumstance bonus on saving throws against mind-affecting effects, poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, and disease.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Double disfunction, subtractions always leave you with at least 1, so ...
    Not a general rule. There are a bunch of specific rules regarding things like hit points and damage, but there's no such rule for caster level AFAIK.

10. - Top - End - #40

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    You better have access to an Effigy Master. Just saying.
    See my Extended Signature for my list of silly shenanigans.

Anyone is welcome to use or critique my 3.5 Fighter homebrew: The Vanguard.

I am a Dungeon Master for Hire that creates custom content for people and programs d20 content for the HeroLab character system. Please donate to my Patreon and visit the HeroLab forums.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

The Obscure Personal Truename feat:

The DC to speak your personal truename increases by 4 (this stacks with the +2 bonus that normally applies to a DC to speak a personal truename). Your normal truename--the one a truenamer would use if he didn't know your personal truename--is unaffected by this feat. In addition, those attempting to research your personal truename find doing so much more difficult. The DC of any checkmade to research your personal truename increases by 4.
    ...makes it harder to speak your own truename. Apparently this is intentional, because the Acolyte of the Ego's similar class feature:

Alter Personal Truename (Su): At 7th level, you can alter your own truename slightly—just enough to make it difficult or impossible for others to utter it correctly. Any creature other than you that attempts to speak your truename takes a —4 penalty on the Truespeak check. At 9th level, this penalty increases to —8.
    ...includes text for making sure it doesn't affect yourself.
    Last edited by Fax Celestis; 2014-09-23 at 03:45 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42

SwashbucklerGuy

The purported Beloved of Valarian issue also affects the Healer class, from Miniatures Handbook. Healers of 8th level get a Celestial Unicorn companion, for use as a mount and aide. However, there are no clauses which allow for non-human/elven non-female non-pure-of-heart Healers from obtaining said companion, and the only requirement for the class is for the character to be of Any Good alignment.

Of course, you then have the minor dysfunction of someone choosing to play a Healer class to begin with…

Then again, the DM could easily argue that the passage saying that Unicorns allow Elven or Human maidens of pure heart to tame them is just flavor text and not in the actual rules for Unicorn… although going by that logic, the part saying that you can sell Unicorn Horns for 2000 GP is also just flavor text and not part of the rules.

EDIT: Note to self, re-read what I type and make sure I don't use the exact same phrase to start two different paragraphs…
    Last edited by Ksheep; 2014-09-23 at 04:21 PM.
    Proud owner of: 0.36 0.43 0.99 2.00 Internet(s), 2 Win(s), and 3000 Brownie Point(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    *Proceeds to google "Bride of the Portable Hole", jokingly wondering if it might exist*

*It does.*

What.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by illyahr View Post
    You better have access to an Effigy Master. Just saying.
    Constructs are creatures.

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    The Obscure Personal Truename feat:

...makes it harder to speak your own truename. Apparently this is intentional, because the Acolyte of the Ego's similar class feature:

...includes text for making sure it doesn't affect yourself.
    First rule of the Truenaming chapter: Never attribute to malice what could instead be incompetence.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Factotum's Cunning Strike does not specify a duration. RAW, the sneak attack die lasts forever.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Seppo87 View Post
    Factotum's Cunning Strike does not specify a duration. RAW, the sneak attack die lasts forever.
    Not exactly.
    You must spend the inspiration point to activate this ability before making the attack roll.
    It's good for the next (single) attack roll.

16. - Top - End - #46

NinjaGuy

If no "general" rule stops this, the same is true for cunning surge.
    Spoiler: cunning surge
    Show
    Cunning Surge (Ex): Starting at 8th level, you learn to push yourself when needed. By spending 3 inspiration points, you can take an extra standard action during your turn.

yep, that's right, extra standard action on all your turns forever for a renewable resource. Totally balanced.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ksheep View Post
    Then again, the DM could easily argue that the passage saying that Unicorns allow Elven or Human maidens of pure heart to tame them is just flavor text and not in the actual rules for Unicorn… although going by that logic, the part saying that you can sell Unicorn Horns for 2000 GP is also just flavor text and not part of the rules.
    Huh. And yet a unicorn only costs 900gp per the lords of madness equation I believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

18. - Top - End - #48

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    Huh. And yet a unicorn only costs 900gp per the lords of madness equation I believe.
    Are you basing that off of the "Trading with the Neogi" section? If so, it states that "unusual or marketable qualities in a slave, such as great strength, great beauty, valuable skill, or exotic origin, can multiply the price by two, three, or four." I would think that a Unicorn might qualify for the Exotic Origin multiplier, at the very least… so 1,800 GP? More likely 2,700+ GP, and that's assuming they have a Unicorn for sale.

EDIT: Would a STR of 20 qualify for the "Great Strength" multiplier? Would CHA of 24 count as "Great Beauty"? Would the Cure Light/Moderate Wounds SLA count as a "Valuable Skill"? If so, Unicorns have most, if not all, of the multipliers applied to them, so we'd be looking at 3,600 GP for a Unicorn.
    Last edited by Ksheep; 2014-09-24 at 01:14 PM.
    Proud owner of: 0.36 0.43 0.99 2.00 Internet(s), 2 Win(s), and 3000 Brownie Point(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    *Proceeds to google "Bride of the Portable Hole", jokingly wondering if it might exist*

*It does.*

What.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ksheep View Post
    Are you basing that off of the "Trading with the Neogi" section? If so, it states that "unusual or marketable qualities in a slave, such as great strength, great beauty, valuable skill, or exotic origin, can multiply the price by two, three, or four." I would think that a Unicorn might qualify for the Exotic Origin multiplier, at the very least… so 1,800 GP? More likely 2,700+ GP, and that's assuming they have a Unicorn for sale.

EDIT: Would a STR of 20 qualify for the "Great Strength" multiplier? Would CHA of 24 count as "Great Beauty"? Would the Cure Light/Moderate Wounds SLA count as a "Valuable Skill"? If so, Unicorns have most, if not all, of the multipliers applied to them, so we'd be looking at 3,600 GP for a Unicorn.
    Don't actually have the book in front of me but that would make much more sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

A 1st-level monk's unarmed strike damage is higher than that of a spiked gauntlet. Or to put it differently, having spiked gloves covering your hands and then punching someone is a worse combat tactic than simply punching someone.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

21. - Top - End - #51

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    A 1st-level monk's unarmed strike damage is higher than that of a spiked gauntlet. Or to put it differently, having spiked gloves covering your hands and then punching someone is a worse combat tactic than simply punching someone.
    Not dysfunctional. Not only are the rules perfectly clear on what is the case, but no house rule is needed and it is perfectly logical that somebody trained to use their fist would be able to hit harder with their hands then with spikes mounted on thin metal plates an some padding.

22. - Top - End - #52

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Not exactly. It's good for the next (single) attack roll.
    It's either The attack roll which beenfits from Sneak Attack or The attack roll that is required to activate this ability.
    Last edited by Seppo87; 2014-09-24 at 06:49 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

It's either The attack roll which beenfits from Sneak Attack or The attack roll that is required to activate this ability.
    There's no such thing. Here's the rule from the Combat chapter:
    Attack Roll

An attack roll represents your attempt to strike your opponent on your turn in a round.
    So Cunning Strike is good for the next (single) attack roll on your turn in a (single) round. No opponent that you attempt to strike = no Cunning Strike.

24. - Top - End - #54

Not a general rule. There are a bunch of specific rules regarding things like hit points and damage, but there's no such rule for caster level AFAIK.
    Don't misquote me, I was saying you would roll negative Damage, due to damage rules that would convert to 1 as subtractions always leave you with one, which results in you doing more damage than if you had 0 CL.
    Show

Saying no to a Sun's Hunter is as close as it gets to an invitation to have your place destroyed by them)\
    The professional, well-funded, well-backed, card-carrying, licensed murderhobos, yes.

Life is Hectic.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Don't misquote me, I was saying you would roll negative Damage, due to damage rules that would convert to 1 as subtractions always leave you with one, which results in you doing more damage than if you had 0 CL.
    I wasn't misquoting you. You said subtractions always leave you with at least 1, without restricting the context of that statement to damage. I pointed out that you made an overstatement. Because the primary topic was about caster level, your statement was easily read as applying to subtractions of CL always leaving you with at least CL 1.

26. - Top - End - #56

I wasn't misquoting you. You said subtractions always leave you with at least 1, without restricting the context of that statement to damage. I pointed out that you made an overstatement. Because the primary topic was about caster level, your statement was easily read as applying to subtractions of CL always leaving you with at least CL 1.
    Ahh, my mistake then, I apologise.
    Show

Life is Hectic.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Ahh, my mistake then, I apologise.
    No problem. I care a whole lot more about getting to the clearest understanding of the rules than I do about bruised egos. I can sometimes come across as being overly harsh because of that, though that's not my intent.

28. - Top - End - #58

BardGuy

No opponent that you attempt to strike = no Cunning Strike.
    that's what I'm saying. No attack roll = no cunning strike. Still, it does not say that the extra die only applies to that attack.

"By spending 1 dollar, you gain a lighter. You must spend the dollar before sucking air through the cigarette"
    This sentence means that
    -I need to be about to suck air from a cigarette in order to buy the lighter.
    -Once I bought the lighter, it's mine. It does not say it's lost after I'm finished smoking
    Last edited by Seppo87; 2014-09-25 at 03:07 AM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

Charging never gets better (or worse) if you are really fast (or slow) except if you use a lance on a mount (even if it is slower than you are on foot).
    Last edited by deuxhero; 2014-09-28 at 10:18 AM.

30. - Top - End - #60

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by deuxhero View Post
    Charging never betters better (or worse) if you are really fast (or slow) except if you use a lance on a mount (even if it is slower than you are on foot).
    I think the lance part is more having a 1 ton horse moving with you then speed (this isn't worthy of killing cat girls over, it would take moving at a speed of over 100 ft/rd for a 200 lb creature to mimic the energy gained from adding a horses mass to your own)