New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Serpent's Skull I, Smuggler's Shiv

The scimitar falls to the ground with a loud, metallic clatter. Lalarlia pulls her goddess' favored weapon for perhaps the first time ever in real combat and tries to somehow "lasso" Ieana, but even in cloud form the latter has her incredible agility and the vapors pool and pull to dodge from the whip.

Ankarum?
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    21JAN2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Taldor, the First Empire (2017, Moreland, Frasier, et. al.).
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    bcool999: On hiatus through 01APR2024.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

"Ankarum's got nothin'" he shrugs

3. - Top - End - #273

R13T10: The large scimitar falls to the ground with a loud, metallic clatter. Lalarlia pulls her goddess' favored weapon for perhaps the first time ever in real combat and tries to somehow "lasso" Ieana, but even in cloud form the latter has her incredible agility and the vapors pool and pull to dodge from the whip.

R13T5: Ankarum shrugs as he lets his rage go with a long sigh of fatigue, frustration, and impotence. "Ankarum's got nothin'."
    Spoiler: Post-Energy Drink Letdown
    Show
    Note the reduction in STR and DEX. However, you only raged for one round so you are really only fatigued for 2 rounds.

End Round 13, Begin Round 14 ...

R14T24: Stephan stands and takes out a javelin.

R14T22: As Ieana now ascends to a height of 20' (whereas the ceiling of this place is 25' high) Ankarum and Lalarlia (as well as everyone else except Gelik, who is too far away) spot a 1-foot-diameter hole right above the center of the dais area, next to the statue.

R14T21: "She's going for that hole up there!" warns Aron. She then casts a spell. A loud multi-tone noise is heard and a brilliant series of shards shoot forth in a wide spray that just barely gets Ieana in the spell's path. The cloud containing Ieana manages to whirl and dodge each of the many shards as the continue forth and shatter and disappear behind and above her. Aron seems a bit woozy after that effort, and the faintest trickle of blood is seen at her nose.

R14T17: Erin does the only thing she can do and throws an acid splash. It seems accurate enough, but it seems to fizzle just as it would have hit the vaporous serpentfolk.

R14T16: Gelik continues with his music and throws a fire bolt that misses.

R14T11: Jask desperately uses the same spell. This time his aim fails him as the burst of heat slams harmlessly into the wall above.

R14T10: Lalarlia, she is at an elevation of 20' = 15' above you = 5' below ceiling/ hole in ceiling. What do you do?
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    21JAN2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Taldor, the First Empire (2017, Moreland, Frasier, et. al.).
    Show

4. - Top - End - #274

With little else she can do, Lalarlia lays a hand on Stephan's blood-soaked shoulder for 6 (max) healing.

Ankarum, you pretty much stuck for end of encounter, or do you do anything?
    Show

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

With a flash of sudden inspiration, the fatigued warrior grabs the tanglefoot bag from his belt, takes a short step to improve his angle and power his throw and hurls the bag at the rim of the hole hoping to block the mist's escape .

To hit
    (1d20+7)[10]

6. - Top - End - #276

R14T10: With little else she can do, Lalarlia lays a hand on Stephan's blood-soaked shoulder for 6 (max) healing.

R14T5: With a flash of sudden inspiration, the fatigued warrior grabs the tanglefoot bag from his belt, takes a short step to improve his angle and power his throw and hurls the bag at the rim of the hole hoping to block the mist's escape. The 1-foot-wide hole at this distance is a difficult target, and the bag explodes several feet from the exit onto the ceiling.
    Spoiler: Inspiration
    Show
    It really was a great idea. Alas, throwing a 4-pound bag 35' feet straight upwards to close over a 1-foot-wide hole is pretty tough. However, the idea gets you a little bit of XP.

End Round 14, Begin Round 15 ...

R15T24: Stephan quietly meditates with a hand over the tattoo on his chest at his heart, healing the remainder of his wounds.

R15T22: Ieana's cloudy form disappears into the hole in the ceiling.

Lalarlia no longer senses her body fighting against the poison, but the effects still exist. Though still a little stronger than normal, as soon as the bull's strength spell ends she will become significantly weaker. Luckily, she just happens to have prepared a lesser restoration for this eventuality; there is simply too much poison on this island not to do so.

The sisters are unsure what to do next, but it appears with no way to get to the villain, the battle is over. Gelik stops his comedy and moves forward.

Jask picks up his staff. "Well, that seems to be that, at least for now. We used a lot of resources, but when you consider that we had to fight both she and Pezock, the only casualty is, well, Pezock. Even then, her incredibly powerful defenses and her compulsion over our tengu ally was overborne. We just needed time and patience."

Lalarlia, what do you want to do? Ankarum?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2015-05-27 at 03:29 PM.
    Show

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

"Ankarum hopes that isn't the only way out."

8. - Top - End - #278

Does that pretty much foul you guys? Do you want to drop out of combat?
    Show

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

I must needs rest and recover my strength as I think we all should. By the blessings of Calistria we all came through this no worse than before. Let us find a temporary safe haven and nurse our wounds. Is anyone else badly wounded?
    Can I have a Mountain Dew? Where are the Cheetos?

"People should not believe everything they read on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~ Gandalf the Grey

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

With no foes to fight, Ankarum checks on the rest of the party and sees to their wounds.

11. - Top - End - #281

Ankarum quickly catches his breath from his exertions. There are light cuts and bruises all around, but nothing really bad. A channel energy should do well enough. Gelik, of course and with the battle over, whines that his "grievous wound" might become infected. In fact, Pezock was only pounded unconscious but never actually wounded. Simply superficial bruises and scrapes. (A whole lot of NL damage.) Folks get together and Stephan (who is already bloody but now returned to human form) is handed Pezock, and he hands him over to the south side with everyone else. He then has to - yuck! - submerge in the gunk to retrieve Pezock's sword. All weapons that were dropped are recovered, and arrows fired are recovered, if possible. None of the +2 arrows are recoverable, and only 2 of the +1 arrows.

The assumption is that channeling energy is the more efficient means of healing a group, especially of such small wounds. Despite this, Lalarlia doesn't quite fully heal her own wounds. As for Pezock, it had very little effect on his KO status. Outside of damage itself, Erin has some injury from the conjured spider that brings her vitality down to that of no more than a normal human. Of course, even with Lalarlia's currently increased strength, it shall drop significantly once the spell is released. She is well-versed enough with the spell to realize that her own strength will be little more than that of a normal elf.

Stephan goes to hand Erin the potion of lesser restoration (he doesn't say it, but you recognize it because that is what he was given during a treasure split), but she says, "No. It's not that bad and either Lalarlia can heal this or I can heal overnight with care. Save the potion for when you really, really need it."

Lalarlia, do you cast lesser restoration on yourself to fully flush out the poison that affected your STR?

Do you stay in this place and explore? What do you do/ suggest doing?
    Show

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

She will cast Lesser Restoration on herself.

I suggest we have a look around at this chamber. Perhaps we can find a clue as to where the beast has gone. Be wary though. I do not think it wise to remain here to long as she may return...

"People should not believe everything they read on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~ Gandalf the Grey

13. - Top - End - #283

Okay, where are you going to look? It's a pretty massive place. Where do you begin?
    Show

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Well, I think the best place to start is where she was when we came in. Carefully mind you.

15. - Top - End - #285

It's pretty obvious from combat that the floor is not trapped. Detect magic notes moderate necromancy (duh!) from the blood stream. The altar is not magical, but the statue against the back wall carries a moderate aura of transmutation.

Aron meditates for a few seconds, going into a trance and says, "It would appear that this statue changes anyone who touches it into a cloudy form. Not truly incorporeal so much as a gaseous state. That's probably why Ieana could still be hurt when she was escaping like that. Since the statue is that of Zura, the vampire goddess, it probably requires blood to work. Ieana was bloody from her wounds, which is why she was able to achieve that state."

"Sooo ..." Gelik says, "does this mean you guys try to gas up and see if you can't get to her? or, at least see what's beyond?"
    Show

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

I think that might be the best course....Although it would be prudent to take as many of us as possible. She may be wounded, but I think it unwise to underestimate her....

17. - Top - End - #287

"Only that hand is available," says Aron. "We should touch and change, if we dare. We don't know where we're going, though. We'd need to know whom goes first, because even as a gas only one of us getting through that hole at one time. And once we get up ... wherever ... we, each of us, have to concentrate to return to form. That means that no matter what happens, we show up singularly."
    Show

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Methinks standard marching order should suffice. Ankarum, are you ready?

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

"Ankarum is ready. " he says trying to sound sure. "What is the worst that could happen...?"

20. - Top - End - #290

Not knowing either what to expect or what he'll need Ankarum does not force himself into a tactical choice and has no weapons or shield in hand. He touches the statue, and nothing happens.

"A sacrifice of blood," says Aron. "I guess instead of stabbing ourselves, will dipping your hand in the bloodstream work to activate this?"
    Show

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

With a good bit of superstitious fear, Ankarum dips two fingers in the river of blood and then returns to the idol.
    "Ankarum hopes this works. See you up top. Beware the snake witch. She may have set traps. If she kept running, Ankarum will track."

22. - Top - End - #292

Ankarum dips his fingers into the blood stream, feeling that it is as warm as if freshly bled. By the time he gets over to the idol the blood is already starting to cool and just barely congeal at the same rate as normal blood; not really a lot right now, but it definitely acts as true blood. He touches the idol with his blood-coated digits. For a second, there is only the queerest feeling inside, vaguely like nausea. The feeling roils outward through his skin even as his skin discorporates into a vapor. To Lalarlia and onlookers, Ankarum and all of his gear becomes insubstantial, misty, and translucent.

What now?
    Show

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Gathering his will, Ankarum tries to make himself float up towards the hole in the roof.

24. - Top - End - #294

Ankarum puts all of his effort into floating upwards and only gets 20' off the ground (in one round on a double-move).

Meanwhile, in order the rest of the party has been dipping into blood. The only one who really doesn't have to worry about dipping into the blood-stream is Stephan ... he swam in the stream (blech!) and is bloody top-to-bottom.

As he gets closer, Ankarum hears a voice weakly cry, "Help. Help me. Please hear me."

Ankarum comes through first and sees an X-shaped room has a low ceiling and walls dense with ancient carvings and bas-reliefs of a bat-winged woman, including a particularly large one on the northeast wall whose lips are smeared with dried blood. A number of supplies - food, discarded clothes, a few waterskins, and a well-used bedroll - lie in the center of the room. The next thing to really catch his eye is Ieana lying there with her throat cut. The third thing he notices, and it's a bit of a shock, is a badly treated and wounded woman with a familiar face .... Aerys Mavato, whom everyone had assumed died. (In the barbarian village her tricorne hat and her book, The Abendego Chronicles - which everyone but Stephan and Ankarum have read - were found.)

For the entire party to fit in here, they'd have to be squeezing.

Ankarum, your misty form is right above the opening. What do you do? Aerys seems to turn her head weakly and nods slowly as if in recognition.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Ankarum "tries" to become solid.
    "Aerys, yes? Are you injured?" What happened?
    The savage warrior moves forward to eamine Aerys wounds. On guard for deception.
    "Ankarum needs a healer up here!"
    If Aerys is in no immediate danger, Ankarum will check Ieana and will try to stabilize her if possible.

26. - Top - End - #296

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk101 View Post
    Ankarum "tries" to become solid.
    Some focus is required (a standard action), but otherwise is not particularly challenging or difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ankarum
    "Aerys, yes? Are you injured? What happened?"
    "Obviously, I'm injured. I'm not gonna' have a battle of wits when ye're helpin' me," she says weakly."She came floatin' up the hatch and I heard plenty o' battle down there. She had me in an awful way already, but this was me last chance and she was more red than green. Aargh! She was near to the locker when I seen her. She dinnae see I had stirred when she dropped her funny magics. That's when I struck and she looked round at me in surprise. I skewered her gizzard, that nasty, scurvy-ridden, bilge-rat! I heard battle and magic, so it's not just you. Who else made it alive?"
    The savage warrior moves forward to examine Aerys' wounds, on guard for deception.
    She instantly recoils from the savage's touch. "If'n you don' mind, I am thirstin' for a healer's touch, but I'll only take that of the priestess or that pretty bard ... females. I cannae deal with the touch of man. Please dinnae ask why, but the cannibal camp is no place for a woman."
    "Ankarum needs a healer up here!" If Aerys is in no immediate danger, Ankarum will check Ieana and will try to stabilize her if possible.
    "Don't bother," says Aerys with a wheeze and a cough. "She is smiling port to starboard now, that scabrous, weak-kneed landlubber! That traitor to half her race and all that might be scholarly. Her name ain' Ieana. Egoist! That scale-slick sea bitch's proper is Yarzoth. There was a Varisian scholar named Ieana, but this murderous thunder-c**t killed her so that stealing the identity while getting sage-cred would not be compromised."
    Spoiler: She doesn't have her hat (the party found it at the camp), and she doesn't have her leather armor
    Show
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2015-06-05 at 06:10 PM.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Ankarum continues in his examination of the "body". If she is beyond saving, he searches the body and then the room.
    As he works, he says to Aerys "how did Aerys come to be in this place?"

28. - Top - End - #298

Yarzoth's body has nothing special on it. Her power apparently came from her spells.

"Her acccursed magic pressed me mind to cut myself, touch the statue, and float up here. I don't know why, but a minute before she came up here, I felt her control suddenly go away."
    Show

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Hearing the call for a healer, she will touch the blood and the statue and float up through the hole to render what aid she may...

30. - Top - End - #300

Lalarlia floats up and sees what has been described. I imagine she wills herself into form. Then what?
    Show