New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Serpent's Skull I, Smuggler's Shiv

Stephan climbs up and disappears from sight. (Of course, at a height of 500', it is only his orange form against the rock that really made him visible.) In barely over a minute he faintly appears again and begins the climb down. He makes it down in just under a minute, with a feather between his teeth, and then changes form back into Stephan.

Only a minute later, there is a loud screeching up high as a bird flies into view (at the height of the summit of Gozreh's Crest). In the darkness of the storm, this bird's feathers burn with a green light. It disappears onto the top and is not seen.

"I have this feather,"
    says Stephan, having exerted himself. "I took it from the nest before what must be some type of magical bird returned. She - it - had eggs in the nest, and it is good that I found a full-sized feather (for there were several feather tufts) when I did, or I would have been alone. One simple toss and I doubt I would have had time to shift into a bird."

The feather itself is beautiful, covering all the colors of the storm, but with a distinctively brilliant green coloring on the tip. Since it is no longer a part of the stormbird, it does not glow, but it is a thing of beauty nonetheless.

The party continues back, but in the distance .... and on their track back to Nkechi's ... there are four native warriors, each with shortspear and shield. Everyone except Lalarlia recognize that these are members of one of the Zenj tribes. The Zenj are the smallest of the major tribes of the Mwangi, but also the most hostile to outsiders. One of them calls out:
    Spoiler: Polyglot, so Ankarum is SOL
    Show
    "Why have you trespassed upon our sacred lands?"

Spoiler: Stephan (Polyglot)
    Show
    "We have been tasked by the Tempest, a wise man, to undergo the Test of Wind. We had to retrieve a feather from the stormbird Chirok.

Spoiler: Lead Warrior
    Show
    "That is a mighty feat. Did she give it to you freely? Did you reason with the mighty stormbird?"

Show
    "No, mighty Zenj, I found a feather before she returned to her nest."

Spoiler: Lead Warrior
    Show
    "Then I challenge you for the right to keep that feather which you have stolen. No harm to each other, just the first one pinned. If we win, we keep the feather. If you win, go peacefully. I send one warrior up to the top to verify the truth of your tale. The other two detain your friends here. You honor this challenge?"

Show
    "I do. Let us clasp arms to claim this. My companions are ignorant of your words, and I shall tell them what is happening. Then, may each man's talents best serve him as the gods have gifted, decreed, and witness."
    Stephan clasps hands and forearms with the other. "Ankarum, for the others know for their skill in tongues, one of us is to wrestle the other - without harm - to the first pin. The wager is on the feather. I am sorry, my friend, but once again I must go to the glory. We cannot afford to lost the feather. I have never seen an actually truly skilled wrestler in my 'waking' years, merely unarmed experts such as the late Sheel. I can actually, for a time, forget certain trained abilities to use others I have seen. I shall shift my senses and my mental resistance to accept higher reflexes and open hand skill.

"Lalarlia, Jask, this is a challenge upon which my skills suffice. It would be poor form to accept a defensive spell. Ankarum, say a prayer to Gozreh for me, for it is for this priest of Gozreh his help we need. And please, for honor's sake, all of you, allow yourself to be held in abeyance."

As discussed, a warrior heads off in the direction of the promontory. Stephan stands almost to edge of the and he shifts form ... into that of a hugely-muscled Zenj warrior, 7' high, of darkest black skin. Stephan impresses his opponent, but not enough to put the man off his guard.
    Spoiler: The Wrestling Match
    Show
    R1: Stephan just barely goes a hair faster than his opponent, but instead of moving in to grapple, he gives a fearsome shout. The man seems to shrink some from that, but throws himself at the interloper. He locks arms in an attempt to hold.
    R2: Stephan doesn't return a grapple, but merely holds him back as if to study something. They are still locked.
    R3: Stephan now seems to be doing some kind of faint meditation mid-combat and steps back as his opponent loses even a touch of grip.
    R4: Stephan is now in an entirely different stance, almost a mirror to the tribesman, and shoots to get him in a takedown. His opponent, on the ground, now frantically fights and now has regained his nerve but is still held.
    R5: They twist and the man comes out of the hold but the Zenj can't quite get a reversal. Both are back on their feet.
    R6: They are circling in a hunched position, batting and probing at each others hands or hips.
    R7: Stephan is losing ground, and this time the Zenj gets him into a takedown.
    R8: Stephan throws off the hold with Cailean strength and pushes the man away from a counter.
    R9: The Zenj gets Stephan into a hold again.
    R10: Stephan can't get out of the hold, and the man comes so close to a pin ... so, so close, but couldn't quite get it.
    R11: Stephan gets out of the hold, only to be put right back in again.
    R12: Stephan gets out of the hold to twist the body of the man so that he can't regain a grip.
    R13: Stephan has the upper hand with a grapple, only to lose it.
    R14: Again, Stephan affects a hold and keeps it.
    R15: At last, after a minute-and-a-half, Stephan wins with a pin!

They both get out of their hold, and the man has no ill will, even smiling. Both men give a wrestler's hug for good sportsmanship. Stephan changes back to normal. To the entire group, the wrestler-Zenj and the other two seem quite please (and in Polyglot mention that Gozreh has meant for this meeting) and among the three men they present the present the party with assorted pieces of abalone, baleen, bone, and pearl jewelry. They bid you go in piece, and His blessings be upon your mission. Once out of view, Stephan takes a look at the items given to the party by the Zenj, and he meditates for a few seconds and says. "Remarkable. I estimate about 800 gp here."

As you are walking away, Stephan smirks and says, "I now know how to wrestle."

With that very simple sentence, it all becomes clear to Ankarum and Jask.
    Spoiler: Ankarum
    Show
    Ankarum, with your knowledge of nature, you have already recognized him as a skinwalker, sure, but in what manner has always been hazy. But when he recently mentioned what he can learn, and that he suddenly knows how to wrestle - as it seemed more trained than a test of strength - that pinned. There are creatures that come from the First World - the land from whom all fey creatures, good and bad, stories say are their original home. Sometimes, very young children of great potential or auspicious futures are stolen in place of fey changelings (or by the more wicked, simply stolen away). If they ever manage to return, for very few do, some of these haunted humans possess powers of the fey. Their minds can study the world around them to learn virtually any skill and nearly any man or beast, in a way few druids ever can hope to match. They are called Taskshapers.

Spoiler: Jask
    Show
    Jask knows the above, point for point, but his arcane training knows a different side of things as well. No two Taskshapers are ever exactly the same in their suite of powers. They might know different skills, and in time their powers have different outlets. Most can change form into the form of small or medium humanoids and animals, but can became even smaller or larger animals as they grow in power. In many ways, the increase in size of animals mirrors druids. There are others that specialize into fantastic shapes like magical beasts, elementals, or even more hideous creatures like the undead. The most common ability is what is called a "moment of change" wherein they can instantaneously affect some small advantage for a brief second to become stronger, more agile, or whatever is needed at the time, though like spells for a mage, this can burn them out. There are other powers, but these are what are known to Jask.

Fascinated by his mental leap and finally putting the clues together, Jask is only too happy to share his knowledge with you. Stephan says nothing during Jask's "enlightened" discovery, he also would love to interview Stephan at some point. Stephan shrugs lightly at the end and thoughtfully says, "Is that what I am? Huh. Well, now I have a name for it. But, no, I am not your test subject."

The party continues back, and the rains seemed to have subsided, almost as if you have been favored - a little, because there is still that mizzle and drizzle and a light breeze. Lalarlia prays in the evening, noting the first night of the full moon. The rest of the party perform their duties in the morning, and you travel back to present their tribute to Nkechi. With great skepticism, he accepts the second offering but asks them to wait while he inspects them for authenticity. He retreats into his hermitage for about half an hour, leaving the PCs at his doorstep. Eventually, Nkechi returns with a smile. Inviting the PCs inside his abode, he asks them to sit in a circular pattern on his floor about a large clay brazier filled with herbs. Nkechi picks up a wooden mortar filled with reddish paste, and proceeds to draw mystic symbols on the PCs’ faces with the paste as he walks around the circle chanting esoteric words.

He firmly snaps, “Do not interrupt!” at any PC who dares to speak during the ceremony. When finished, he pulls out a pouch filled with some small roots, eats a piece, and requests that the PCs do the same. If queried about the root or his actions, he responds with earnest gravity, “We are going to speak to Gozreh.”
    Spoiler: DM License of PC Actions
    Show
    Understand that this is a ritual by a Gozran priest should not bring worry to Ankarum. Though Gozreh might be a little too detached from Lalarlia's mores and outlook (though only somewhat from Calistria), it is a new experience and the idea of undergoing a religious experience that is already on a path she is taking shouldn't keep her from allowing herself to enter the trance.
    Erin is all for it, and from a scholarly standpoint Jask will do so. Stephan thinks for a minute, and Nkechi is getting impatient. Stephan says a prayer ... aloud ... to Iomedae to protect him from any harm. He allows himself to undergo this trance.

Everyone quickly falls into a dream-like trance. Each person perceives themselves exiting their bodies and drifting as smoke through the night sky. These individuals sense, but do not see, the others. As they travel, they see all of the Mwangi Expanse below them. Slowly, the sky turns red and they reform as strange spirit animals in pale translucent colors, and that is when you see each other with a sense of whom they happen to be.
    Spoiler: Animal Manifestations
    Show
    Nkechi: Manifests as a giant crab.
    Ankarum: Manifests as a powerful type of buffalo from the Mwangi savannahs, called a wildebeest.
    Erin: Manifests as a lioness.
    Lalarlia: Manifests as an black-and-white striped equine. You don't know what it is. (Later you will find out it is called a "zebra," also from Mwangi savannahs.)
    Jask: Manifests as an owl.
    Stephan: Manifests a mighty elephant.

During the strange trance, Nkechi foreshadows the unveiling of the ruins of a forgotten city from ancient folklore. But he warns that many rivals seek the city, and it is unclear who shall be first to claim the location. He also sees a darkness within the city, and ominous storm clouds gathering on the horizon.

About halfway through Nkechi's divinations, a dream serpent suddenly manifests and attacks. Ankarum, Jask, and Stephan notice that the markings and patterns on the snake's scales match those of Yarzoth. They each (and Nkechi) also manage to keep from being surprised.

Surprise Round...

T14:
    The dream serpent, quite large, lashes out at Jask and the latter just barely gets out of the way.

T13: Jask-owl flutters back just a few feet and casts shield.

T7: Ankarum, since you were in a trance you weren't carrying your shield and weren't wearing anything bigger than light weapons. This would be your throwing axe and magical kukri. You are adjacent to this really big snake, and weapons are stowed. What do you do?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2015-09-15 at 03:35 AM.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Ankarum Wildebeest snorts angrily and paws the ground. The enraged *Rage* beest swings his sharp horns at the dream serpent, eyes showing whites all around.

[spoiler]
    to hit
    (1d20+11)[12]
    to damage
    (2d6+5)[12]

3. - Top - End - #543

T7: Ankarum's wildebeest gores the dream snake for a whopping 21. Though he was cautious at first thinking that it might be some magical thing, it turns out this dream snake moves as predictably as an actual animal .... a simple thing Ankarum is most capable of fighting above all others.

T6: The truly massive elephant that is Stephan gives a great trumpeting cry, standing on his hind legs before its trunk points at the snake almost accusingly. There is a slight glowing of a symbol of Iomedae that glows briefly on Stephan's elephantine form. His tusks come rolling in for 25 with his power and smite, then the trunk for 27. Though it is a slamming trunk, this last blow has a strange effect of separating the head. The decapitated serpentine body thrashes and writhes violently before gradually fading away. With that, the party exits the trance.
    Spoiler: Battle Over Quickly
    Show
    Never even needed the second roll. Once I figured out Stephan's adjustments as an elephant. Holy wow. That is power he will not know as a mortal unless he gets to near capstone level as a taskshaper (iirc). That, and the extra damage from a smite ... he considered Yarzoth's markings would mean an evil dream snake.

Jask, Lalarlia, and Nkechi recognize the dream serpent’s death throes as a symbolic depiction of the decapitation of the ancient snake-god Ydersius. Lalarlia is quite knowledgeable, but it is Jask who (with a '20') really brings it home.
    Spoiler: What Jask Delivers (and 85% Lalarlia knows)
    Show
    "If you remember, the Temple of Blood on Smuggler's Shiv was dedicated to the vampire goddess Zura, of whom our current companion still suffers under her curse. The actual inhabitants weren't a special race of vampire-creatures. Zura was a cult, but a powerful one. Zura was venerated by debased and corrupt members of the First Humans - the Azlanti. I know the legends because I took to learning the dead language of the Azlanti in my youth. Now, be they the cult of Zura, or the more honorable members of that once legendary race, all Azlant were united in warfare against their ancient enemy, the snakefolk ... and we had the misfortune of suffering misfortune, battle, and eventually knowledge via our encounters with Yarzoth.

"Now, legends hold that Ydersius and the serpentfolk were driven underground during the war with the Azlanti and forced to hide in the Darklands realm of Sekamina. In one of the final battles of the war, Ydersius was decapitated by the mighty Azlanti champion Savith and became known as the Headless King. Still believed to be living in two pieces, his mindless body is said to thrash in the lightless depths below, while his head has wasted away to a still-conscious skull. It is rumored that his head is buried somewhere in the Mwangi Expanse, luring the serpentfolk to that region. Whatever the exact truth may be, his clerics still receive his divine power, a sure sign that he has not followed Aroden into true death. A deity of unquenched passion and anger, the generally more cerebral serpentfolk used him as an example of all that was potent and primal in their psyche. They believe that should his body and head be reunited, Ydersius would return to full power and lead his people on an attack against the surface world.

"According to the ancient legends of the Mwangi, the Zenj folk hero Old-Mage Jatembe learned secrets from the severed head of Ydersius before sewing its lips shut. As far as any 'realm' that any religious or planar scholar might look to, Savith decapitated the god and cast the head into a lake of fire and banished the body to the Darklands; to this day the god is still split in twain."

Nkechi nods slowly and gravely. "What you face is now a threat to Gozreh, or at least to what Gozreh holds sacred, and Gozreh desires me to make the journey. I will aid you with decisions concerning the various paths you might take, filling you in on relative geography, as well as providing folklore and history. I can also help you survive survive in the jungle; even those who think they know might be surprised by the Expanse. I will aid in healing. However, I will take on no leadership role in your group, and I will avoid combat if at all possible."

The Ensign nods and discusses the ranking of the vanguard group, Sargava's structure for the major expedition behind the main party, and that Nkechi will be an "outside consultant" outside any chain-of-command and not even under compunction to follow his own orders .... though Stephan will seek the elder's counsel anyway. After all, he is going on this trip for the above reasons, but people seek him out for his vast wisdom.

Nkechi gathers up his very few belongings that he will take with him. The party makes its way down down the trail, and Nkechi whistles to call .... a friend.

Shadowing the party from above, and now coming down further into view is a spider much larger than even Ankarum has seen. It is roughly the size of a horse, and it has vine-wrapped sections on it that you can tell are a makeshift form of saddle and the like. It is quite clear that this spider is meant to be .... a mount. Ankarum and Jask both recognize this type of spider as a hunting spider (a type of tarantula at that) - one that can make powerful jumps to leap on prey, but does not lay webs to capture potential prey.

Nkechi turns with a wicked smile at the party, figuring that half would be repulsed, if not afraid. "This is my dear friend, Tatenta - which means 'Thank you.' I called out to Gozreh for help once when I had a particularly bad time with hostile Pale Ones, and Tatenta came to my aid. In time, she has let me ride her. Through Gozreh, I am a vermin hunter with the heart of the same. This is why Gozreh made my totem a giant crab, and why you did not understand my anger when you killed the crabs below. Just because most vermin are mindless, doesn't mean they aren't creatures of nature. Tatenta, though, is blessed with some level of intelligence and I have trained her to ride and attack. I do not need much in this world; what she cannot carry neither shall I."

The ride on the longboat with a horse-sized spider is particularly uncomfortable for Erin and Jask. When they get to the ship, the master refuses to let such a horrible creature aboard. Though Stephan's rank as only an ensign counts for little, his note from the general and Stephan's own outstanding cajoling and threats (he has the Friends in High Places trait, if you've ever wondered) cows the man to accepting the spider but only with the conditions that the spider be in a segregated section of the hold. Even with only a short sail, this will make for a low morale voyage.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #544

The party returns to Eleder, and the General discusses the completion of what is needed for the expedition. He invites them (you) to discuss their plans with several expert advisers.

The PCs should set out before the main expedition with their guide, acting as “trailblazers” for the rest of the expedition, which will travel a few days behind them. The general gives the PCs a map of Sargava and the southern Mwangi Expanse, which together with Yarzoth’s notes should enable them to find Tazion. It is suggested that the PCs travel light and stop in the city of Kalabuto to restock on supplies. There are covert allies in the city who can make arrangements for the PCs’ stay and continuing journey. The PCs are warned not to stay at an inn, and to limit their interaction with locals who might be working for the rival factions. When they arrive in Kalabuto, they should make contact with a dwarf named Cheiton in the Shrunken Head, one of Kalabuto’s most popular taverns. He can be recognized by the distinctive cave-and-pick tattoo on his shoulder. Cheiton owns a house near the tavern, and the PCs can safely lodge there while preparing for the next stage of the expedition.

According to the map, the fastest route to Kalabuto is to travel overland through the wild scrublands and savanna, along the older trade routes that skirt between the Bandu Hills and the Laughing Jungle. These routes were used primarily by early colonists, most of whom were prospectors seeking their fortunes in salt, gold, and diamonds. While several successful mining operations remain, the trails are far less used than they were in the past, particularly because merchants using them are easy targets for brigands and wild beasts. This same remoteness should lessen the chance of the PCs encountering the allies of rival factions seeking to block or sabotage their mission. The caravan routes lead to the edge of the M’neri Plains, at which point they can break from the trail and head west to Kalabuto.

Once the PCs have resupplied in Kalabuto, they should follow the Upper Korir River north into the Screaming Jungle. Here the terrain climbs upward through a series of rocky falls and churning rapids, greatly impeding passage via boat, and in many places the water becomes too shallow to navigate, so overland travel is recommended over riverborne travel. Leaving the Screaming Jungle, the trail continues to follow the Korir until it comes near the northeastern Bandu Hills and then turns east. At this point, the trail leaves the river, heading almost due west through the northern foothills of the Bandu Hills until it reaches the southernmost reaches of the Mwangi Jungle. Somewhere beneath those trees lies the Azlanti outpost of Tazion, which should show the way to the lost city of Saventh-Yhi.

All in the party whom do not yet have their own mounts shall be supplied them, along with full tack and saddle and saddlebags. Though not to be weighed down, various equipment shall given each of you as befit your skills. (They assess this, NOT you. So, if anyone wanted to have a .... I dunno ... traveling alchemist's lab? That's on you.) It's okay if you don't want a mount ... the small squad of Sargavan guards going with you will be on foot.

Any comments from the PCs?

For his excellent actions, leadership, and passing what was a basic review of abilities, Stephan Brauer is promoted from Ensign to Lieutenant (junior grade). His title is still "Lieutenant."

The party won't be leaving until the day after tomorrow. Tomorrow is Sunday, Lamashan 24th, and Sunday is a day for religion. An expedition is one thing, but Nkechi refuses to curse the mission by not beseeching Gozreh on a day of prayer. Likewise, Stephan will be fasting and holding vigil.

A Sargavan appraiser looks at the ring and it isn't worth 720 gp, but 1200 gp! The mixed abalone, whalebone, and other such scrimshaw and the like are agreed at 800 gp. Because you were working on behalf of a mission, and you may wish to have special equipment, you are given flat value of 2000 gp for the whole. This means everyone receives 333 gp and 3 silver. The actual denomination will be (3) 100 gp gems, 3 platinum, 3 gold, and 3 silver. (Sheets updated.) This does not include Nkechi, but does include the "extra share" for the party treasure. The fraction left over goes to the treasury (a mere 3 sp).

Is there any equipment the party might want to buy?

It is important to note .... Lalarlia, you are a paladin who has been specially trained to wear armor a little more easily than other armor-wearers (see traits). Stephan wears the armor he does for three big reasons: first, it is a function of his order; second, he requires too many physical skills; third, his DEX bonus to AC is impressive, and good armor would be a negative gain. Are you going to trade in your current armor and try to get something with better protection?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2015-09-16 at 05:29 PM.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #545
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Ankarum will gather his things and saddle Tahkeome for the trip. He will join the group and pester Nkechi for information about his companion, specifically about the spiders venom capabilities.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Lalarlia will procure riding gear for Caelela and take advantage of the holy day as well, back at the brothel....Er....Temple.....
    Can I have a Mountain Dew? Where are the Cheetos?

"People should not believe everything they read on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~ Gandalf the Grey

7. - Top - End - #547

You only just this morning of the expedition meet your Sargavan squad that General Havelar promised to accompany you, and they are given the title of the "Sum of Fears Squad" by their enlisted colleagues; and this squad, though small, is supposed to be as tough as they come. Ankarum might miss it, but Lalarlia's keen ear and elven proclivity for double meanings help her note that the leader's name perhaps plays just as well a part for the squad's name as their reputation. Their members are:
    1. Master Sergeant (MSGT) March Fiercesomeelm, Squad Leader. He is a white-haired dwarf with topaz-yellow eyes and is as ferocious as his name. Despite his bluster, he is quite calculating, and his senior enlisted position has made him vain over time.
    2. Corporal (CPL) Aeduin Ardizzone, a Chelaxian. Passionate by many new experiences, but gets annoyed easily ... and annoys others in return.
    3. Private First Class (PFC) Danaus Gisler, a Chelaxian. Discerning eye for the ladies, and quite enchanting. A real womanizer.
    4. Private (PVT) Chuguel Mwangi, a Mwangi. Gloomy and voracious; fatalist but rarely voices if he has a chance to shut his mouth by eating food.
    5. Private (PVT) Ouma Ewe, a Mwangi. Realistic and understanding.
    6. Private (PVT) Harsk. Dwarves for the most part are dour and taciturn. He takes it to a whole level of insular and anti-social.

None of the Sum of Fears Squad has a horse. Everyone from From MSGT down to PFCs wear masterwork scale and carry masterwork halberds and serviceable light crossbows. PVT Harsk has masterwork studded leather, and carries masterwork heavy crossbow and masterwork battleaxe. Despite having a rank that is that of the most basically trained Sargavan guard, either by expertise outside of the military or by the draw of the short straw (because his armor is much less capable), he is the squad's heavy crossbow sniper. This may be laughable to Lalarlia since light crossbows are already slow in combat because of reload; but heavy crossbows are ridiculous, and he would have to be the "one-shot, one-kill" type (or just suck and the squad needed someone to fill a billet). All members of the squad are highly trained survivalists, orienteers, and jungle warfare specialists.

Here is the final breakdown of the chain-of-command:
    Lt (j.g.) Brauer (***********) Nkechi
    W-2 Derindi
    [Specialists] ************** [Sum of All
    Fears Squad]
    ** MSGT Fearsomeelm
    ********** ***SSGT Lalarlia*** *************
    CPL Ankarum CPL Ardizzone
    CPL Zyianthus **
    PFC Gisler
    PVT Mwangi
    PVT Ewe
    PVT Harsk

You may notice that Lalarlia is in the center and "connected" to both sides. She is the senior NCO for the specialists, but also is in the chain-of-command for the squad. Her call is "sergeant," or "sarge." MSGT is called "Master Sergeant," "master sarge," or even simply "master."
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2015-09-20 at 05:06 AM.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #548

Moonday, 25 Lamashan 4710 AR

The Sum of All Fears (for Stephan enjoys the name for the platoon as a whole) heads out on this morning. The group heads out. It is quickly apparent that the lieutenant hand-picked this squad over any others. They are not meathead soldiers (though brawny), but quite canny. They still talk amongst themselves, though, and are of high spirits. In the evening, this crack squad takes no time in setting up a base camp. Jask has a hard time setting up a tent, much to the

Fires are made, for as the PCs learned on the Shiv, despite the heat of a jungle fires and shelter help immensely in staving off disease. In addition. the following are camp healers: Sarge (Lalarlia), Ankarum, Nkechi, Mr. Derindi, and privates Ewe and Harsk. There are always three every night: Nkechi is always "on duty" every night as a camp healer; then Mr. Derindi or Lalarlia; finally privates Ewe or Harsk. This means that there are three people each evening who check up on everyone else to make sure they are doing well and if there are any complaints whatsoever they are attended to right away (there is no room for pride). Nonetheless, you are only skirting the jungle along the plains, but the master sergeant is all about acting as if you have to prepare yourself against the worse effects of any two, not celebrate because you are outside of the jungle. Those engaged in healing duties do not stand watch during evenings they have acted as camp healer but otherwise are on watch on other nights.

Unlike anything the party has done before as an adventuring group, and perhaps because of size, there is never a time that the squad does NOT have a guard stationed. Even when moving, certain positions are changed and those "on watch" distance themselves some from the party to keep from focusing on chat rather than their job. When camp gets set, those assigned to watch don't have any other duties - that's the "honey watch" - though they technically have the longest watch until it is time for the entire camp to turn in. There is no such thing as a "night off" for anyone, not even the lieutenant. Many of those who have late or dog watches might turn in early as responsible guardsmen (though it can be tough, sometimes). It is a rotating schedule to make sure that nobody has the same watch every night (see below) though it is more forgiving since Erin and Mr. Derindi have arcane spells. The other quasi-exception is private Mwangi - he's the camp cook and no one wants him off his game. He's a gloomy sort, not a bon viveur, but he is quite a cook so that even trail rations are quite enjoyable.

During this first day, it was also quite plain to see that not very long after leaving Eleder proper and along the trails of the plantations an animal caught up with the party and then kept pace with Harsk. Lalarlia and Ankarum, having come from the continent of Avistan, recognize the animal as a badger, but this one is almost as big as the dwarf himself. Ankarum is in front and Harsk is in back during travel, but in camp Harsk keeps well to himself with his badger (you find out his name is "Biter"). Bob nearly becomes a snack when the curious monkey goes over towards the badger. The latter hisses and Bob goes to climb a tree but the badger climbs as well, albeit more slowly. Bob has to jump from a branch to another before Biter comes back down to Harsk's side. Harsk - having seen it was Ankarum's pet - made absolutely no move to stop Biter from chasing Bob. Bob spends much of that first night nestled very, very closely to Ankarum. Harsk stays by himself and doesn't interact with others unless he has to. Curiously, he has a special type of pot that he heats up and puts into his mug. Shortly thereafter, he will have one of several small pouches filled with dried leaves. He puts a small amount into some kind of mesh ball with a handle and lets that the ball sit for a few minutes in the mug while he grooms burrs or anything else off of Biter. After those five or so minutes, he takes out the mesh ball, squeezes the handle so the ball opens at the middle, and he dumps that onto the fire for what makes for quite an aromatic smell. He then casually enjoys this infusion. (Lalarlia easily recognizes a tea pot and a tea ball .... which is something she never would have guessed from a dwarf.) When he goes around for healing checks, you tell him if anything is wrong; he doesn't chat you up.

Wealday, 27 Lamashan 4710 AR

It isn't really part of the Shoanti calendar, and it is more of a gnomish holiday, but it is celebrated somewhat by humans as well. Today is Jestercap, a day wherein practical jokes are played. (Think April Fool's Day.)

Does Lalarlia or Ankarum doing anything particular? engage generally? or, not at all?
    Show

9. - Top - End - #549
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Lalarlia will partake of the general interaction but nothing specific.

"People should not believe everything they read on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~ Gandalf the Grey

10. - Top - End - #550
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

While traveling, Ankarum will travel near tempest, always interested in learning more about the local flora and fauna. If the happen upon wildlife or plant life that would be edible he hunts/gathers what he can, keeping bow strung at his side. If necessary, he will hunt when they make camp. Any spare time will be spent with Jask learning reading/writing or tempest learning poison craft. If the other members of the group take sparing practice, he will excitedly participate.

11. - Top - End - #551

Erin gets fully into the spirit of Jestercap. Considering her sorcerous bloodline and the power thereof called "prankster's befuddling touch," she has more than enough fun with the many tightwads in the group. She uses prankster's befuddling touch, mad hallucination followed up by hideous laughter (a couple times), and more than a liberal dose of ghost sound, mage hand(!), and prestidigitation. The jokes were of mixed reaction; they might have gone better if she wasn't a quasi-vampiric-looking bat monstrosity.

She tells jokes and juggles for entertainment (Perform: Comedy +8) once everyone gets together, finding a way to be self-denigrating about her appearance ... it's the only way to make it work. She finds a way to make fun of everyone there .... today is the only way one gets to do that. For that, there is the faintest mean-spiritedness - oh, so faint - that Ankarum had never quite noticed in her before. Things come to a head when she openly casts a spell at Harsk; he is not one to enjoy the frolicking ... and he draws down on her worldlessly, leveling his crossbow at her. He has to be held back. He is quiet anger, but it sparks off Erin who has a mouth of her own. It was a fun day until the end. Though, of course, soldiers being soldiers, they giggled amongst themselves when they retold the events.

One of the standard things the PCs will come to realize is that every single one of the commandos do a form of standing bath every night. Erin and Lalarlia are kept separate - the men all have incredible muscles - and Jask provides casting-after-casting of create water for them while Lalarlia would do so for herself and Erin.

As the days go (but not Jestercap, since that is meant to be a fun holiday), you will notice that training is an almost religious pursuit for these men and dwarves.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #552
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Lalarlia will partake of the training as well, although not at a distraction to her prayers.

13. - Top - End - #553

The evening of Jestercap, Sarge and Ewe were the camp healers.

"Arm, arm and out!" Private Mwangi's voice can be heard in the middle of the night.
    "Get on your feet, squad!" is heard Stephan's voice.

Stephan happened to hear whatever disturbance even though he was sleeping; and while he was the watch officer, Mr. Derindi can't hear what the other two did. The alarm comes quickly enough that the party can rise with one weapon or one shield at the ready; beyond that, it is still a surprise round for everyone. Because she was sleeping, Lalarlia would not have been wearing her breastplate.

Ankarum, Lalarlia, when you are getting up and hear the alarm, you were sleeping and prone. You have one round to do something, likely grab a weapon or shield and then stand. While a weapon would be in hand because you grab it, you still have to grab a shield which does not equal "readying a shield."

What do the two of you groggy-eyed folks do?
    Show

14. - Top - End - #554
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Lalarlia will grab a weapon and rise. Praying to Calistria, she will ask for protection in battle.

Spoiler: Have Faith!
    Show
    Begins casting Shield of Faith on herself

15. - Top - End - #555
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Hearing the call, Ankarum will grab his shield and rise.

16. - Top - End - #556

Two creatures rush into the camp, the first one chomping at Caelela while the other attacks Ankarum and the latter's animal senses help him dodge whatever is there. The quadrupeds make a noise not unlike a laughing-yelping sound, albeit with greater fear factor for its size.

R1T25: Stephan's blade, already having proven itself as magically sharpened in many battles despite its massive size, cuts well into the large creature for 20 once Stephan moves over to it (by Caelela).

R1T22: Ankarum, you are standing with shield in hand (not readied) and no weapon in the other hand. Your reflexes kept you from getting hit when this thing charged. What do you do?
    Spoiler: Shield in Hand
    Show
    Though a shield has spikes, to wield the weapon-shield properly, the shield itself must still be readied. That will take a MA.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #557
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Ankarum readies his spiked shield and bashes the creature with a savage swing and a obligatory war cry. "Aiyhee!"

18. - Top - End - #558

R1T22: Ankarum readies his spiked shield and bashes the creature with a savage swing and a obligatory war cry. "Aiyhee!"

He stabs into the large animal for 10.

R1T21: The corporal gets up and grabs his halberd.

R1T20: Caelela makes a brutal, bone-gnashing bite to the big creature's rear left leg for 15. She then rears up and slams down with both hooves for 14, and laying the monster low.

R1T19-18: Privates Mwangi and Gisler rise with their halberds.

R1T16: Ewe attacks the survivor at reach with his halberd, but the creature ducks.

R1T15: Harsk says something in a guttural language to the badger with the bleary eyes. Harsk doesn't get up when he grabs his heavy crossbow. Instead, he rolls onto his belly and then shoots at the surviving creature. The bolt barely skims across its hide to cut only for 4. With a speed far beyond anything you've ever seen from a simple weapon like a crossbow, instead of taking a full round to reload his heavy crossbow, he does it so quickly that he shoots again and only because of the close range does he manage to hit, but he hits it in a sensitive area for 10.

R1T14: Lalarlia, you are 10' from the survivor. What do you do?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2015-09-28 at 08:45 AM.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #559
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Lalarlia will close and attack with her scimitar using both hands.

Spoiler: Hack and Slash!
    Show
    To hit: (1d20+9)[15]

Damage: (1d6+4)[8]

20. - Top - End - #560

R1T14: As Lalarlia closes, the hyena attacks her and nails her for a whopping 17 with a crushing bite, but she grimaces through the pain and hits her foe for 8.

R1T13: Mr. Derindi stands and casts magic missile into the thing and drops it.

Combat Ends ...
    Show

21. - Top - End - #561

Nkechi heals Lalarlia's wounds with a spell (CSW) and the party goes back to sleep after several men pull the dire hyenas away from the camp. The next morning before heading out, Nkechi leads everyone to the fallen dire hyenas (which Harsk called hyaenodons).
    Spoiler: Good size comparison between hyaenodon (middle) and man.
    Show
    Spoiler: Cool pic of hyaenodon
    Show
    Nkechi then says, "Louie Brauer, perhaps your stunted man at the bottom can tell the group more about this creature in case we fight it again."

Brauer nods and says, "Harsk, you're holding training this morning after we each do morning prayers and meditations."

Harsk, who was fine calling out the danger, is less than enthused now that the danger is over.

The cook makes breakfast while camp is being struck, and all make their normal morning routine. (Again, Lalarlia prays at dusk to recover spells, not morning.) Then, training is done. Erin and Lalalarlia really aren't familiar with some of the terms Harsk might use, and in turn everyone else around those two. I don't know about Lalarlia, but Erin is entirely disinterested, and merely observes the soldiers more than she really seems interested in the lesson taught to them.

The group travels for the day without incident. Erin is excused from evening training for meditation ... she is a mission specialist, so she gets that. Because everyone might be up against ancient evils that their training doesn't cover, Mr. Derindi covers training of the mind against mental and spiritual attacks.

The next evening, Mr. Derindi now covers specialized mental training, continuing what he taught Erin and Lalarlia on the Shiv. In this case, it is focusing your spellcasting minds in adverse situations. Unlike his comrades, Harsk sits in on the mantra training, while the rest of Sum of All Fears goes through combat drills.

The next two days are a dread holiday for Lamashtu, the Mother of Monsters, and it is called All-Birth, beginning on the last quarter-moon of the month. It is also the last two days of the month named after her (Lamashan). There will be as much religious preparation for what might be a terrible two days for tempting the Mother of Demons. The expedition is important, and most people stay indoors on these days and prayerIt begins at mid-day today and ends mid-day the day after tomorrow. Lalarlia will hold prayers throughout the day (Calistria), as will Nkechi (Gozreh), LT Brauer (Iomedae), and Mr. Derindi (Nethys) - each in their various alignments and faith showing how Lamashtu is fought and some of the faith mysteries surrounding ancient battles and so forth.

For these first five days, the journey ran through the foothills between Eleder and the Bandu Hills. The main trail snakes northeast around a tall section of hills, and then detours north connecting with several of the regions more profitable and still operating mines. The PCs (meaning the "core party" of the two of you plus Stephan, Erin, and Jask), Nkechi, and the MSGT look over a map given to the LT. The map shows the location of an abandoned salt mine to the southeast marked as the "Fzumi Salt Mine." It appears to lead to the edge of the M'Neri Plains, suggesting that passage through the mines provides a shorter route through the hills. While the map contains scant details concerning the nature of the property and who once owned it, Nkechi shows that it can increase overall travel time by 1 day if you take the route through the mines.

"Recommendations?" asks the lieutenant.

Nkechi answers, "I was brought along with my knowledge to help get the expedition to Tazion as quickly beyond. It is true, going through the mines would be faster. I worry that the Mother of Beasts may send something against us for our temerity on walking about on her day, but plains or mine we would do it anyway. Besides, it would be nice for Talenta to move through cooler territory, even if only for a little while."

Mr. Derindi agrees, "I am a servant of Nethys, and I am an evoker. It is almost a sacred duty to use His destructive magics to blast Her minions back to their spawning grounds if we are attacked."

"Gee, I dunno,"
    says Erin. "The last time we went roaming around underground, I was cursed into this hideous form that just as well might have been brought forth by Lamashtu as much as it was generated by a curse from Zura in Zura's foul undertemple. No thanks."

"I'm a dwarf," says the MSGT. "Take a guess. We'll have to guide your horses, and hopefully we can use our polearms if we have to. It would be nice to see something other than what we're seeing now. We are the Sum of All Fears, not the creatures that try to scare you going bump in the night."

The LT looks to SSGT Lalarlia and CPL Ankarum. "This is a recommendation session, not a vote, so speak freely. What say you?"
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2015-10-02 at 02:28 AM.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #562
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

I am not concerned for my mount as she can be released and called back as needed, so I am not averse to traversing the mine. Which ever would be fastest.

23. - Top - End - #563
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

"Ankarum prefers the open air, but as we need all due speed, the mines seem to be the fastest route....Beware, others will try to delay or slow our progress to our goal. This mine is an ideal location for traps so be on guard."

24. - Top - End - #564

As you get to the properties of the Fzumi Salt Mine, Harsk gives a whistle from the back and has out his crossbow.

Bursting from some foliage is a feral woman and a creature - some type of lizard that stands on its hind-legs. The lizard has wicked long, curved talons on feet and wicked looking claws. The woman is fully 6' tall and carries a crudely-made glaive, one out of some type of long jaw with jagged teeth. Though savage and dirty, perhaps had she grown up under different circumstances she might be attractive. And she is not Mwangi, but rather appears to be of Chelaxian descent. In broken Taldane, she shouts out,
    "My land! You go! These my lands! Hunt elsewhere!"
    Spoiler: Woman and Creature
    Show

The MSGT calls a halt and the Sum of All Fears snaps position of halberds to the rear, threateningly.

Lalarlia, you have no idea what that creature is. Ankarum, you recognize this thing as a deinonychus, sometimes called a velociraptor. It is from an ancient order of reptiles from a lost time.

"Deionychus,"
    says the lieutenant. "Speed, razor sharp talons, nasty bite, incredible leapers. Surprisingly intelligent and capable pack hunters."

He thinks, "Weapons down, weapons down!"

He doesn't have a weapon drawn, btw, which is standard for him. He orders the group to slowly back off. "Nkechi, seem familiar?"

"Gozreh gives no guidance on this,"
    says The Tempest. "She is not Mwangi, but a misplaced Pale One."

The LT nods his head and slowly, with both arms up, moves up to the back. "We don't need to steal the food from your lands, we have brought our own. We simply wish to cross through the mines. We have a long journey, and the mines will cut down travel time to our destination."

She thinks on this and then responds, lowering her glaive. "Jaji, stay."

She steps bravely forward and yet with a sense of awe and curiosity at Stephan. She comes in and wants to touch his armor and things; she is very, very curious. He pauses, and then lets her. She includes feeling his face. She is absolutely bewildered by what she sees in him and the rest of you. Frightened somewhat of the large spider she does seem, as Biter and Jaji (presumably the deinonychus) stare at each other, each growling low. Both Harsk and the woman each hiss to their animals who quiet their contempt but stare at each other threateningly nonetheless.

"I, Athyra," she says, again with broken Taldane and an accent a little off.

Ankarum notes actions, but doesn't understand what is being said.
    Spoiler: The rest of the conversation is in Polyglot.
    Show
    "I speak the language of the land, if that is easier," says he in Polyglot.

She seems to be under a daze. At first, Lalarlia - who is expert in noticing charms - might think she is ensorcelled by him. But, it is simpler than that. She doesn't have the social skills to hide her feelings like civilized people, and she is absolutely taken by this beautiful man.

Athyra nods. "Yes," she says almost breathlessly. "Don't go in the mines, please. Old mine is a tunnel to underworld. My father and mother went down long ago, when I was much smaller now. Not long after, angry dead things came out of the mine and killed everyone in camp."

"Even so," says Stephan, "we shall enter. In fact, it is in our calendar - our marking of the moon and days - that today terrible beasts walk the land. It seems right that I and my people fight those that refuse to die. With your permission, we shall go in."

"If you do go, and your bravery is greater than the enemy, can you find out what happened to my father? He wore a shiny heart-thing on his neck. It opens up with a picture of my mother inside. Please return it. It is all I might ever have of them."

"I cannot search for it, we don't have the time, but if we find it on our way, we don't have time to double back. That's why we're taking the mine in the first place."

"I dare not go with you, but I can meet you on the other side. Your hunters move slowly in their shiny skins. Only you do not, but you are perfect."

Stephan gives a smile, not a broad one, but enough to show grace for the compliment. He nods and says, "If it is in our power, it shall be done."

Athyra gushes and rushes off, and calls to Jaji as she goes ...

He doesn't bring Ankarum into the loop, but merely tells him that the party continues to the mine.

The sagging and overgrown remains of a small camp mark the site of the old mine, its gaping entrance visible in the hillside behind the camp. The mining camp is abandoned, and consists of a large barracks and meeting house, an operations office, two storage buildings, and a small house for the mine owner and his family. As the squad is sent around to search, Ankarum is in the operations office and he finds a moldering book.

Ankarum, what do you do?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2015-10-03 at 09:21 AM.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #565
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Ankarum will collect the book and take it to Jask.

26. - Top - End - #566

"Thank you, corporal," says Mr. Derindi. He mulls over the book for a few minutes and then heads out of the office to see the lieutenant.

Once the rest of the camp is searched, the squad is mustered and the warrant discusses the logbook Ankarum found. The last few entries in the logbook are dated 15 years ago and document the mining company’s downfall. The mine’s owner, a man named Feran Crinhouse, was looking for new salt deposits and decided to secretly try connecting his mine with another mine on the far side of the hills, abandoned earlier under mysterious circumstances and rumored to be haunted. Just as the miners broke through to the abandoned mine, they unearthed a strange orb that glowed with a pulsing blue light. Crinhouse decided to go down into the mine to personally investigate. The final entry is in a different handwriting, and reads, “They’ve come up from below! They’re all dead, and their touch withers the flesh! May the gods have mercy on us!”

There is some grumbling among the men, and Erin is no different, but they are pretty sure they can deal with anything that comes their way. The four primary casters (Lalarlia, Erin, Mr. Derindi, Nkechi) spread out four light spells. The wooden beams supporting the mine’s main entrance are weathered and sagging. Water trickles down the sloping floor among the wooden footholds leading down the main shaft. The party will have to go in single file and walk their mounts. The only one who doesn't do that is Nkechi, who rides his spider along the side of the wall (his saddle is designed to help him brace in at any angle). It's roughly a hundred long before it opens out a bit with a small pool where the water collects, and continues NE (you're coming in from the SW). There is an initial chamber here that is over 60' wide and is irregularly shaped but obviously having been an area that was mined. Dealing with most of the party walking in water when there might not be enough room on each edge of a tunnel or chamber is - Mr. Derindi will tell the group - be something to get used to.

Of course, since CPL Ankarum is the mission scout, he's the first to deal with ... it. Ankarum feels like someone hammered his foot, and that feeling is quickly followed by a terrible burning sensation, taking 6 and 1 acid. The water bursts forth and then ... it seems that some water is suspended until it is realized that the water seems to have shape and thickness that wraps around Ankarum and holds him fast.

Ankarum, roll a Fortitude saving throw against a DC of 20 ....
    Show

27. - Top - End - #567
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

"Aiyee!" yells the surprised savage warrior?

fortitude
    (1d20+4)[6]

28. - Top - End - #568

The stinging pain goes through his body so quickly, that Ankarum's cry is caught in his throat.

R1T23: "Sum, hold!" calls the master sergeant. "Sir, any idea what that is and how to proceed? Your orders?"

R1T18: "Mr. Derindi! Nkechi! Any ideas or do we attack as normal?" calls Brauer.

R1T15: "Sir!" calls Jask. "It's a crystal ooze. Acid contact for offense and defense and immune to temperature extremes. Sir, anything hitting that is going to be damaged with acid."

"Very well," Brauer says. "Attack it with weapons only, be careful of our boy. If you think your halberd is compromised but not destroyed, back off! We'll have magic to repair it later. Can't help if it's destroyed."

Jask casts spiritual weapon to create a glowing quarterstaff and it spins and hits it for 7 force as little bits of ooze spatters off, sizzles in the water, and denatures. The master sergeant sloshes up to attack from reach to hit it for 13 with his halberd, but his weapon also takes 2 acid. Stephan takes his time going all the way around while getting out his dread maul. Mwangi steps up next to the MSGT and grazes the goo for 9, but his halberd takes 2 acid.

R1T14: Gisler moves up to Takheome on the opposite side of Ankarooze and takes the reins, calming Takheome enough to move the horse out of the way, but not before it launches a pseudopod out to slap the horse for 9 and 4 acid. The horse whinnies in pain and falters, but then manages to pick up and move out of the way with Gisler's guidance.

R1T12: Two bolts fired from Harsk only does 9 total.

R1T10: Erin moves forward with two nonmagical daggers and slashes with one, but it is terrible and actually gets to a spot right across Ankarum's belly where the ooze didn't contact, making a terrible gash for 5, but the grievous nature also does 1 CHA as well.

R1T9: Lalarlia, Erin moved up in front of the MSGT, and if you wish to engage in melee you would move up in front of Mwangi. What do you do?
    Show

29. - Top - End - #569

R1T9: Lalarlia casts spiritual weapon and a force whip appears in front of Ankarum and the ooze. Lalarlia tries to hard to snap the whip just at extension but force power recoils through the connection of magic as she misses and Lalarlia gets thrown back five feet and prone in the water.

R1T7: Ewe sloshes around from the side and then cuts it just barely ... but in the hands of a crack Sum of All Fears commando, "cuts it just barely" with a halberd means 10. His weapon still takes a full 6 acid and is broken.

R1T5: The ooze continues to squeeze Ankarum for 9 and 1 acid.

R1T4: CPL Ardizzone makes his way all around to the back, at reach, of Ankarum.

End Round One, Begin Round 2 ...

R2T15: Jask beautifully directs his force-staff to smack the ooze for 4 force.

R2T14.8: The master sergeant makes a final hack across the remaining thick band of ooze and the entire thing discorporates and splots into the water, the water denaturing the whole, but not before Fiercesomeelm's halberd takes another 2 acid.

Combat Ends ...
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2015-10-09 at 09:58 AM.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #570
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Lalarlia gets up and quickly crosses to Ankarum and with his permission, she will pray for healing.

Spoiler: Stay Away from the Brown Acid...
    Show
    Lay on Hands: (3d6)[14]