New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Serpent's Skull I, Smuggler's Shiv

The four-pound tanglefoot bag, already in danger of breaking the .1-pound arrow, won't fit down into the quiver with the other arrows.
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    21JAN2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Taldor, the First Empire (2017, Moreland, Frasier, et. al.).
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    bcool999: On hiatus through 01APR2024.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Ankarum will put the tanlefoot bag back in his pouch and retreive his weapons.

3. - Top - End - #93

A large eagle flies down to the ground with a skull in its talons. Stephan forms from the eagle. He picks up the skull quizzically.

Gelik comes over and looks at it. "Considering the weirdness of this place .... the temple, this strange skull. It would make sense for us to go back to the others. I don't have the background at religious matters to understand what we might be up against. And Lalarlia definitely might understand this strange skull."
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    21JAN2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Taldor, the First Empire (2017, Moreland, Frasier, et. al.).
    Show

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Yeeaahh.... Stephan, what in the five bloody hells did you change into?! A why haven't you ever done that before?! Ankarum wasn't unconscious for that long.

5. - Top - End - #95

Stephan looks helpless and finally points to his mouth, shrugging meekly.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Yeah, can't speak. I know. Can you write it down so somebody else can read it? What's your story? You a Skinwalker?

7. - Top - End - #97

He seems helpless and shakes his head as you ask him about writing it down. When asked about being a Skinwalker, however, he looks up to the side of you as if scrutinizing something you've said, then looks directly at you and nods. Not a direct up/down nod, but that bobblehead nod that signifies "yeah, kind of like that."
    Show

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Ok, you're a kinda skin walker. Fine. Great.... I need to pound something.
    Ankarum gathers his weapons.
    Come on! Let's move!

9. - Top - End - #99

They come out from underneath the bridge.

"Yeeahhh, weeelll,"
    says Gelik. "Let's pound our feet back to the camp. We aren't prepared for this. Just because you're a boneheaded savage with anger issues doesn't mean we don't need the magic and scholarship of the others. We've already seen what it's like with little light, knucklehead. Any adventurer worth his salt knows he needs to be prepared, and he'd be a damn fool not to be!"

Stephan, handling the skull, looks long and confused at its strange shape. He gestures to Gelik while nodding to Ankarum.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #100

As Gelik finishes, his lights that he cast up near the bridge wink out. They didn't last more than a minute.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #101

"Sounds like cowardice to me!" chirps the captain. "Mr. Ankarum, my boy, it's good that you gave them a second chance, but you made a decision and they still press. Looks like possible mutiny. You better handle this, otherwise how can I trust you with a leadership position?"

"Caawww!"
    Pezock interjects. Until now, he hasn't really said much. "I don't know much about what kind of a mad little twit you are, Eku-whatsit, but until I see a ship that floats, you're nothing but a captain of crabs and worms! I don't know what **caw** ridiculous arrangement you have with our savage warrior, but he's gullible and that Mwangi-Taldane half-breed their with the big sword - gods bless them **caw** both for their great prowess - aren't that bright. We're not your crew, and we've followed Ankarum here because he asked us to take a look. We didn't know what we might be up against. **Caw! Caw!** We're in an ancient evil temple with the skeletons of strange creatures far tougher than expected, with no idea how to have long-term light without the little one dropping those strange lights every minute ... can't do that in a battle. We need the learning and uplift of the bard; the greater healing and possibly spells for divination from the priestess; battle magic from the Garundi; and the other woman can stay behind for the lighthouse."

Pezock looks to Ankarum. "We need the others. We don't have what we need among us. But if you want to continue, I guess I'll go with you."

Captain Ekubus flaps up 15' out of reach and shrieks,"Mutiny! Ankarum, discipline him!"
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2014-12-06 at 01:24 PM.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Ankarum pointedly ignores the birdman and Captain Ekubus.
    Stephan, are you hurt?
    After seeing to Stephan's wounds and checking on the rest of the party, Ankarum gathers them together. He stares each companion in the eye in turn as he speaks emphatically.
    Gelik thinks that we should return and bring more of our friends to explore this temple because unknown dangers lay ahead and we have met a strange foe. Ankarum says that a couple of skeletons on a bridge is no need for fear. We are a powerful group! if we work together and stay firm in our belief in each other, we will be victorious! I have two torches. Others have light spells that work as torches. Do we not have enough light in our hands and courage in our hearts to push on? Do not wilt on me now my friends. Join with me and glory and riches will follow! What say you?

13. - Top - End - #103

Spoiler
    Show
    Based on opposed Diplomacy checks, of which you have no skill ... and Gelik is pretty decent with, since he's the main opposition ...

It's not always about the speech. You just don't get your point across with the same ability as the bard. There were bonuses in your favor, but just not enough.

The others look around and Gelik just shakes his head. "Glory and riches, huh? No one can know our story if we're dead; we can spend no gold in the afterlife. Besides, if you're all about that, it's not fair to keep it from the others, right?"

He starts to head towards the exit, and the others follow.

Captain Ekubus looks at you. "You tried the soft approach. Try to intimidate them like a proper officer, because otherwise I just can't have you in my wardroom, let alone as a second mate. Mutiny, and you're failing to stop it as your crew leaves you."
    Show

14. - Top - End - #104

He flies upwards some. "You have failed. You aren't even fit to be a member of my crew. You can't give orders, and your companions won't take them. Bother me no more."

And with that, he flaps out of the room, ostensibly to go back to his waterlogged room on the Salty Strumpet. You carefully cross the deck and pick up your belongings.

The party, with a little difficulty, makes it out of the cove and back up on Red Mountain, where you will make camp, and note the light of the lighthouse working. Night goes by without incident.

The next day you make it back to Aycenia's grove in the late evening. (Gelik is pretty quick for a gnome and other small folk, but he is still slower than a human.)

You find out that they actually hadn't made a descent yet. They determined that the initial entrance to the Cave of the Mother is a drop but not down a "well." Rather, the roof/ underside opens right up so there'd be no wall to climb. They didn't have rope, so while each person has enjoyed a day of rest and reading Aerys' book, the others would be making rope out of vines. Since you show up with "new" rope from the bridges, everything is good.

Gelik hands over the strange skull to the others. A jungle scholar, the origin of the creature that once was living with this skull absolutely evades anything she has ever studied. The fact that Gelik (and likely you) mention how tough the creature's were compared to a normal skeleton concerns Lalarlia, since that is out of her realm as well.

Gelik then tries to draw out what he saw from the strange temple doors. Frustrated, Stephan actually takes over. Though a mute and a warrior, there is a calm in him that Gelik doesn't have in trying to render something drawn. It is a very good likeness.

Lalarlia confers with Jask, and he somberly says, "These would be ancient renderings of the Cult of Zura, the demon queen of vampires and cannibalism. I don't know the history of the cult here .... the who or why, but that is the religious significance."

"Umm, yeah,"
    says Gelik. "Caves of the Mother it is, at least for now. Perhaps we'll find out something down there that can give us a clue to the Temple. You guys start tomorrow, though. I need to go over some things to prepare."

Ankarum, do you do or say anything at this time?
    Show

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Ankarum looks for his monkey friend Bob. (Internal dialoge) At least he listens...at least when Ankarum have fruit.

16. - Top - End - #106

Sure enough, if you grab some fruit and call out to him, Bob comes scampering out and snatches the fruit from your hand and begins eating greedily.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #107

The next day, the party leaves Aycenia's grove to get to the empty village. With the combined rope, there is plenty to make sure there is a good bit down with excellent anchoring, and then rope to spare once you get down.

Ankarum, are you leaving anything behind?
    Show

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

I will leave Bob and bring all my weapons.
    In Gilek's general direction he will say sarcastically "ankarum sure hopes there are no skeletons down there with pointy sticks. Ooooo!" He shivers.

(Sorry no options for color text on new iPhone)

19. - Top - End - #109

Now it's time to descend the 10' into the cavern below. The rope is knotted along its length and securely anchored above. Ankarium will be the first one down so he can immediately take out his shield and act as guard. Erin put a light spell on his shield. He makes it down easily. Next comes Aron and Lalarlia. After that, Jask is lowered down. Then Pezock and Erin climb down, followed at last by Stephan. There are plenty of light spells in the party.

The uneven floor of this ten-foot-high cave is stained with blood and scattered with pieces of wood, fallen leaves, broken weapons, and in places, bits of bone. It's a sizeable natural cavern vaguely, 40' x 20' at its largest point, and there is a 5' wide passageway to the east, only wide enough for one person. A marching order has to be created.
    Spoiler: Marching Order
    Show
    Ankarum will be in front as a shock trooper with his decent senses, defensive skills, and speed to maneuver around opponents in larger areas. Though a good scout, he is not sent any distance ahead. This way, he stays in range of Lalarlia's burst; there are too many undead on this island to believe you won't find any down here.
    Pezock, who claims to be quite adept at throwing in a good first strike, will be next.
    Lalarlia. The most heavily armored, but setting the pace for the party. Lalarlia is the actual defensive vanguard for the party. In addition, she is a centerpoint for any holy energy burst needed to blast undead or heal the party.
    Erin. Also good at first strike, but she will be in front of Jask in case she casts spells.
    Jask, in the middle, will be protected while he casts combat spells.
    Stephan. Unarmored but with good senses, he will protect Jask and the party from the rear.

The cavern winds about 70' and curves towards the south until there is a chamber. The smell of decay is thick in the air of this wide but low-ceilinged cavern. To one side, the ceiling drops down to little more than three feet in height over a region strewn with bones and bits of old flesh, while to the other, the ceiling bulges upward in a dome shape - six circular, pod-like alcoves line the walls of the cave at this side.

Ankarum, what do you do?
    Show

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Motioning his companions for quiet, Ankarum extends his senses to see if he percieve any threat.

21. - Top - End - #111

He doesn't sense anything. While the light spell on his shield is only as bright as a torch - so there are areas of dim light - one advantage of the spell is that it is a steady form of illumination, so there are no flickering shadows. But that almost makes it worse. The stench of death is compounded by the visual stillness. You do not feel right, as if death waits here for you. This place seems cursed. What do you do, superstitious savage?
    Show

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Readying his spear and shield the barbarian pads towards the shadowed alcoves on silent feet to determine their contents...

23. - Top - End - #113

S1T20: Something comes bounding from the shadows to Ankarum's right side, biting him on the face with a powerful 8 damage and knocking him to the ground. There is a terrible, fetid smell coming from whatever his attacker might be.

S1T17: With Ankarum down, another figure comes zooming in to his left and gets him in his left shoulder for 4 (min).

Begin Round 1 ...

R1T23: Ankarum hears Lalarlia's voice, "Festrogs! Undead creatures that didn't quite make the shift to being a ghoul. Be careful of its pustules. They could disease you."

She chugs forth in her armor, but only just in front of the group and shows her holy symbol. "Calistria frees you from your torment, creatures!"

A burst of positive energy blasts forth from her, harming both for 4 PE.

R1T20: The one that attacked Ankarum's face snaps at him, but Ankarum's sixth sense keeps him from being entirely vulnerable.

R1T17: Erin moves forward and slightly to the east some while grabbing her starknife. She tosses it at the festrog that nipped Ankarum's shoulder. The starknife slashes grazes past the creature's left wrist for 5.

R1T16: Despite that attack, the festrog will not be distracted from its meal, but this is Ankarum's shield side, and he desperately manages to interpose the shield against the horrible breath and teeth.

R1T15: "Yes!" calls Jask. "But try not to pierce or slash it when you're next to it or you might be infected by its boils. Be defensive if you can, too. Every time it bites it feeds on you and gets stronger."

Likewise Jask sends out positive energy in a weak blast that both festrogs manage to partially withstand, each only taking 1 PE.

R1T14: Stephan moves forward, taking out his dread maul and hustles into the cave to stand behind the first festrog.

R1T9: Pezock, for his part, takes out his sawtooth sabre and moves up to stand by the other festrog.

R1T6: Ankarum, you are finally recovering from your initial shock, though you have wounds to face and shoulder (39:51). You are prone. You realize that indeed part of the pain from their bites were not necessarily from the power of the bite itself, but from the fact that the monsters were feeding on you. You look up from the ground, and you see this ...

Spoiler: Festrog
    Show

If you were to stand, you are between both; though at the same time, Stephan flanks with your right, and Pezock to your left. What do you do?
    Show

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Remaining prone, Ankarum takes the advice of his comrades and fights defensively with his shield to attempt to avoid flying puss and to aid in flanking the creatures.

25. - Top - End - #115

R1T6: Remaining prone, Ankarum takes the advice of his comrades and fights defensively with his shield to attempt to avoid flying puss and to aid in flanking the creatures. Even in this clumsy position, Ankarum uses his shield against the one already on that side with Pezock as a distraction and smashes that festrog for 7.

R1T5: Ankarum never heard her in battle, for he was an unconscious captive of the cannibals, so this is the first time that the enchanting voice of Aron carries over the sounds of combat to stir the hearts of all the allies.

End Round 1, Begin Round 2 ...

R2T23: "Monster!" Lalarlia, having let loose the holy amulet about her neck, "you do not fear pain, but fear not death for it comes swiftly!"

She charges the seemingly unharmed festrog as she draws her magical scimitar, glowing crimson energy surrounding the blade and herself as well. She makes a heavy chop downwards, missing its body and just barely chopping into its right foot, but holy energy lances forward combined with her momentum for 13, practically cutting its foot in two along the middle. It howl-hisses terribly, but some of the hissing noise is from bursting pustules that splash on her.

R2T20: That attack was definitely enough for the badly wounded festrog to step to the side (out of flank) and attack Lalarlia wildly. Its bite and one of its claws scratch furiously at her chainmail, but it is its second claw that finally finds pokes through the chain gauntlet of her sword hand for 5.

R2T17: On the other side, Erin throws her magic dagger to hit her opponent in the left leg for 7.

R2T16: As the dagger hits its leg, the monster still tries to feed on the savage. Since it is the most dangerous, Ankarum focuses on blocking the bite and catches a claw, but the second claw sunders through the Shoanti's shortspear. The splinters of the spear and the creature's claw and jams into Ankarum's right eye, causing him to cry out in great pain. He takes 10 hit points damage, 1 CON drain, and is blinded in his right eye.

R2T15: The aging Garundi priest of Nethys again sends out the destructive energies of his mad god. The first takes 2 PE, and the second takes 3 PE. That really hurt them and neither look like they can deal with much more.

R2T14: Stephan smashes the festrog that just got Ankarum's eye, and the thing falls down, finally dead.

R2T9: Pezock makes a double-hand swing with his sawtooth sabre but the festrog's unholy skin blocks it; he follows up with a bite (ew!) and this time manages to nail it in its skull for 12, ending its threat to the mortal world.

End Combat ...
    Show

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Trying to be a tough guy, Ankarun staggers to his feet with a moan of agony.
    "Blood and Bloody Ashes, this stings! A little help here..."

27. - Top - End - #117

Tough as he is, Ankarum begins to mumble the last part of what he says before passing out from shock and pain.

Sometime later, Ankarum awakens, needing water. He cannot see out of his right eye, throwing off his depth perception some, but he recognizes he is in Aycenia's glade. Jask comes over and says, "I operated on your eye as best as I could, and I was able to save it so you still have some cloudy vision; shouldn't throw off your expert senses or your aim. The scar is terrible. I suggest you wear an eyepatch in public, and perhaps you can still pull it off when you really need it.

"The one thing I couldn't do,
    " he says hesitantly, "is to deal with the systemic shock. I am not a very powerful priest."

Lalarlia takes over. "I prayed to Calistria, even holding a fast and a vigil; but, she refuses to help you, does not answer my prayers, or the power is far beyond me in a spell and a prayer I know not.

"This is something we - you - must handle. Evil has done this to, the evil found in the Cave of the Mother. Are you ready for vengeance?"
    Show

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

"Thank you my friends for saving my eye. Ankarum will wear the scar proudly. Only dead warriors have no scars. "
    He finds the bird man in the clearing. " yes that was definitely better than skeletons with pointy sticks. Speaking of which, any one have a weapon Ankarum can use?"

29. - Top - End - #119

Gelik's face contorts into mock confusion. "Wait - - what?! Of course dead warriors have scars. In fact, that's one thing all dead warriors have in common ... apart from being dead, of course. I mean, whatever killed a warrior left some mark (big or small) of the attack, right? And does that mean that warrior's who've been lucky, blessed, or skilled enough not to have gotten a scar isn't really a warrior, regardless of whatever deeds they might have done? Look at Stephan. He's got a whole lot of scars on his back from the whip and the lash as a slave; you think those are 'pride marks?' And what about his tongue that was cut out? That's not a wound that happens in the heat of pitched battle, and could happen to anyone.

"Oh, and while we're at it, cyclops ... it does suck that your favorite weapon went snicker-snack, but it probably saved you from the festrog cracking your nugget open and feeding on whatever passes as a brain. But look at you ... true, you have a quiver with no bow ... but you do have a tomahawk you can use to good effect, and a dagger as a backup weapon. Speaking of which .... you had a half-dozen javelins when you and Stephan went to check out Red Mountain but you don't have them anymore. What happened to them? You left with javelins, and came back with a new and empty quiver."

Spoiler: Breakdown of Tirade
    Show
    1) Of course it would be Gelik to point this out in the first paragraph, but remember ... 7 INT = remarks that are "poorly thought out."

2) "Cyclops" ... you just don't get the reference, but you are pretty sure it is an extremely offensive gnomish insult that he thinks he can get away with because you don't understand his language. [How's that for a '1' on Sense Motive?]

3) Because your weapons block was full, the dagger at your belt and your bow were placed in the Equipment column. Your primary weapon is now your tomahawk, with a fallback weapon of the dagger ... in addition to your equally prized weapon of your shield. Your tomahawk is as good or better than any other "extra" weapon anyone might give you, and it's more thematic. Being able to throw it and draw a dagger is a big plus. If you still want to ask for weapons from the others, let me know. But you are, and have been, armed to the teeth.

4) He figured that part of your combat with the chupacabra ended in the loss of your javelins, but he doesn't know the story behind the quiver. With a mute, free slave, and a savage with a 7 INT that is rather taciturn, storytime just wasn't happening. He doesn't know you store your javelins in the magic quiver, let alone a bow and the arrows (let alone the types). So, if you changed position to that of archer, you have decent enough training for that. That should be secondary, though. You have Point Blank Shot, but not Precise Shot (Erin does, btw) so shooting into melee incurs a -4 penalty on attack rolls. PBS probably comes from being an all-around warrior, but also a hunter in bringing down game. Your other feats also support a much greater combat role with weapon and shield.

"Gelik, stop it," says Jask. "Ankarum. We found something after the fight with the festrogs ... something important."

He shows you a scrap of leather armor with writing on it.

"I know you can't read, but Captain Kovack apparently wrote this on a strip of his leather armor, probably using his own blood and a splinter of bone as a pen ..."
    Spoiler: Captain Kovack's Final Confession
    Show
    "I am Captain Alizandru Kovack, betray of my crew and destroyer of the good ship Jenivere. Hell would be a welcome escape from what hideous unlife looms before me, but it is no less a punishment than I deserve. That I was enslaved mind and body to a serpentine demon who wore a Varisian's skin does not pardon me. It is my weakness that led the Jenivere, her crew, and her passengers to their doom. That Ieana has abandoned me here is nothing more than the fate I deserve. I do not beg forgiveness, but I despair that she lives still, and that she seeks something dire on this forsaken isle - she seemed particularly interested in Red Mountain. If you read this and you be a kind soul, seek out what I have become and destroy me, and then seek out Ieana and slay her as well. And to those whose lives I have helped destroy, I can only apologize from this, my dark cradle and darker grave."

"It appears," speaks Lalarlia, "that he is not as to blame as he worried. He was enslaved to her; if that is more than metaphorical and he meant supernaturally, the gods shall forgive him. Ieana was the Varisian scholar, and he referred to her as a 'serpentine demon' interested in Red Mountain. It is absolutely impossible to glean any information from what type of people the festrogs were - so hideous and full the transformation was. Perhaps one of the festrogs was him, or perhaps another creature further along in the caves. We shall honor the late captain's request. We shall free what can be freed of his soul by the destruction of all of the undead monstrosities that exist in this cave. Then, for vengeance in the name of the Wasp's Sting, we shall track down Ieana and send her to whatever afterlife seeks to devour such malice that would wreck an entire ship and account for the death of more than a score of sailors and passengers."
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2014-12-28 at 11:15 AM.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

unprepared for Gelik's verbal attack, Ankarum tries to argue his point: Ankarum meant that of living and dead warriors, that the only ones without scars are the dead ones. Not all the dead ones, some dead warriors can have scars too but all the living warriors have scars... Oh never mind!
    Turning to Jask, The snake person cap'n Ekubus saw at the temple must be this Ieana. Ieana is the cause of the wreck of the Jenivere and the deaths of many good people and must pay for actions! Ankarum say that we collect that debt.