New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Serpent's Skull I, Smuggler's Shiv

Ankarum calls dibs on being hanging bait!

2. - Top - End - #152
    Colossus in the Playground

Spoiler: Minor setting business I had forgotten ...
    Show
    The front doors of the temple are of a strange alloy of bronze that beers eerie runners of red, almost as if the bronze were bleeding. The air within is strangely cool, musty, and damp. Aron figures that there must be a ventilation shaft somewhere, and with Ieana having opened the doors earlier, most of the mustiness that one would expect has had a good airing out.

It would be a tough climb were it not for dropping the rope. Though Ankarum still needs two hands and puts his tomahawk away, the shield on his back still provides plenty of illumination going down the shaft, which is only 10' high.
    Spoiler: Movie Quote
    Show
    "You and your frickin' rope!" - BOONDOCK SAINTS

At first glance, this damp cavern seems natural, but here and there the mineral deposits on the walls and ceilings don't quite obscure ancient walls that were carved by hand. The floor is covered with a shallow layer of brackish water from which numerous small mounds of delicate crystals emerge. A large mound of ancient bones caked with thick mineral deposits lies along the west wall under the hole in the ceiling. (The hole you climbed down.) The ceiling here is only 10' high.

Ankarum, as soon as you get down and turn around, you see two little, freaky, doll-like, bony creatures hiding among some of the bones looking at you. They are right next to you! Their heads turn sideways and up a little, almost like an owl, before it snaps back to normal with an eerie, rattling sound.
    Spoiler: Chucky!
    Show

S24.1: The first one bursts out of its hiding spot with its tiny dagger and little arms. It jabs right into the little depression of your foot slightly underneath the ankle but before the heel with a perfect strike, doing only 1, but causing excruciating pain, even as Ankarum sees fluid on the tiny dagger go from the blade into the puncture hole just created. His body, trained against toxins, easily fights off the venom but the pain has stunned him.

S12: The next one comes out and pokes at Ankarum to hit him for 1, and once again Ankarum doesn't even feel the toxin.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Little known to both little creatures and Ankarum, the poison is medium spider venom ... something to which Ankarum had built up an immunity. Their only real advantage against big creatures - poison - just made them practically ineffective barring the lucky shot from the first attacker.

Round One ...

S24.1: The first one slashes at a toe for 1 this time.

S24: Ankarum. The little bastards. What do you do? You are at the bottom of the rope, and if you really want someone down here, you'd have to move.
    Spoiler: OOC Notes
    Show
    These things are so small, the size of infants, that you can step right over them without provoking an AOO. In addition, every time they try to attack you they have to move close enough to you that you get AOOs. Feel free, after taking your normal action, to roll two separate attack/ damage rolls entitled "Combat Reflexes," but be sure to let me know with what you attack them. You can't take out your axe and ready your shield and attack in the same round. So, if you want to attack this round, choose tomahawk or shield.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2015-01-26 at 06:02 PM.
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    21JAN2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Taldor, the First Empire (2017, Moreland, Frasier, et. al.).
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    bcool999: On hiatus through 01APR2024.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

More dead things!? Ankarum smash!
    readying his shield, Ankarum swings the heavy oak disk at his diminutive attackers.
    Ahyiii!

(1d20+6)[22] to hit
    (1d4+3)[5] to damage

AOO1
    (1d20+6)[23] to hit
    (1d4+3)[6] to damage

AOO2
    (1d20+6)[21] to hit
    (1d4+3)[7] to damage

4. - Top - End - #154

R1T24: "More dead things!? Ankarum smash!"

Readying his shield, Ankarum swings the heavy oak disk at his diminutive attackers. "Ahyiii!"

The big shield easily finds the creature, though it seems that even slamming the bony doll, it somehow mitigates the damage so the strike only does mod 3.

R1T12: With his shield readied and finally his wits about him, Ankarum easily dodges the slash from the other even while cracking it mod 4.

End Round 1, Begin Round 2 ...

R2T24.1: The first one Ankarum struck, the same one that stunned him, tries to get at him, but not before Ankarum strikes him again for 5 mod and knocks its not-quite-adorable little poisoned dagger to the side.

R2T24: Ankarum?
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    21JAN2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Taldor, the First Empire (2017, Moreland, Frasier, et. al.).
    Show

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Dead dolls want more? Have some of this...Wham!...and some of this...Bampf!

(1d20+6)[12] to hit with shield
    (1d4+3)[4] damage

Combat Reflexes
    AOO1
    (1d20+6)[17] to hit
    (1d4+3)[6] to damage

AOO2
    (1d20+6)[7] to hit
    (1d4+3)[6]to damage

6. - Top - End - #156

R2T24: "Dead dolls want more?" goads Ankarum to the doll. "Have some of this ... Wham!" with a satisfying onomotopaeic response with a successful strike ... to the bones on the floor.

R2T22: Aron, from above, begins to sing to try and help her savage friend below. Ankarum can't see her, but he can hear her haunting melody.

R2T20: Pezock climbs down and swings across to stand aside Ankarum. If the opponents were larger, he might have had a problem, but not this time. The tengu draws his sawtooth sabre.

R2T17: "Dolls?" calls down Jask. "What is it?"

R2T12: The second doll continues to attack the Shoanti, but not before Ankarum growls, "... and some of this! Bampf!" This time, his verbal anger is justified as he slams the thing for 5 mod. Pezock also gets in a cut for 12, and Ankarum realizes that Pezock's sword seems to cut clean, unlike Ankarum's shield. The double attack is enough to push the dolls attack back.

R2T8: "Any room for me down there?" calls Erin.

End Round 2, Begin Round 3 ...

R3T24.1: The first doll attacks Pezock, and Ankarum tries to swing to his left (the same side as Pezock), and so lousy is his swing that he crits Pezock for a whopping 17! Pezock's AOO misses as well. The doll then shows a glimmer of intelligence as its jaw clatters as if it were laughing (even though it misses).

R3T24: Ankarum, what do you do?

Pezock on deck, second doll in the hole ...
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2015-01-27 at 10:40 AM.
    Show

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Sorry Pezock...ouch.
    Ankarum sees that Pezock's sabre is more effective and draws his tomahawk.
    Ayhiii

(1d20+6)[20] to hit
    (1d6+3)[6] to damage

Combat Reflexes
    AOO1
    (1d20+6)[26] to hit

(1d6+3)[9] to damage

AOO2
    (1d20+6)[20] to hit

(1d6+3)[7] to damage

8. - Top - End - #158

R3T24: "Sorry, Pezock ... ouch."

Ankarum sees that Pezock's sabre is more effective and draws his tomahawk. He gives a war cry before attacking. "Ayhiii!" The tomahawk makes a satisfying cut for 5 mod. He notes that a little bit of his strike still gets held off just a little bit.

R3T22: Aron is still singing.

R3T20: "Room here!" calls Pezock, "but one." He cuts hard and his opponent shatters.

R3T8: Erin climbs down the rope and draws her magical dagger. "What the hell is that?!"

End Round 3, Begin Round 4 ...

R4T24.1: The last little bugger goes to attack Ankarum, but Ankarum makes a perfect strike. And yet, he doesn't cut as incredibly as he thought he might with so good a strike, but still does max damage of 8 mod, even though the tomahawk still didn't cut as deeply as he thought it should. Pezock misses, but Erin hits for 6, piercing it with her dagger; it seems her strike wasn't slowed. The thing just can't get in a strike.

R4T24: Ankarum makes yet another attack for 6 mod.

R4T22: Aron continues to sing.

R4T20: Pezock swings and misses.

R4T8: Erin misses her attack.

End Round 4, Begin Round 5 ...

R5T24.1: This thing is without fear or a sense of self and attacks Ankarum again, but Ankarum makes the cut and the thing finally shatters at the point of impact and falls.

Combat Ends ...
    Show

9. - Top - End - #159

The rest of the party climbs or is guided down to the bottom of this cavern, and the party takes up most of the spot. There is a very thin passageway to the east which would require everyone except Gelik to squeeze through if you went through rather than go back to the temple entrance room and the alcove. Aron studies the remains of the creepy little undead and conducts a brief trance.

She looks at the group and says, "It's not undead, it's a small construct made in the form of a small humanoid, called a 'soulbound doll.' There's a soul in each of these two gems where the chest was, though each seem to be very expensive."

Gelik gives a long, low whistle. "I'd say that each of these gems is worth a whopping 2,000 gp apiece!! That's 4,000 gp. What about the daggers? They don't really look special."

The casters all agree that the gems are magical, but they figured that was probably the case since it was inside the chest. The exact type of magic of the gems are unknown. Gelik casts a spell, the same one Ankarum saw him used before with a tiny vial of dark fluid stirred with a feather and sipped. Gelik shakes his head. "Even with my spell, this is some kind of thing beyond what I can figure."

"Stop," warns Lalarlia. "I sense evil coming from the gems. I think that they should be crushed lest we carry evil talismans with us."

"WHAT?!" cries Gelik. "Then sell them to a religious group to get money. It's a win-win, then. But you're asking us to smash a king's ransom because you detect evil from it. Sure, and maybe that's what powered that little critter, but they're crunched now, so who cares?"
    Spoiler: Party Input/ Arguments
    Show

Aron likes Gelik's reasoning. In fact, as a fellow Pathfinder, she mentions that is exactly what the Society specializes in .... archaeological items that might be dangerous, finding a way to neutralize them for study. They usually pay members and associates top gold.
    Erin trusts in her sister and agrees.
    Jask agrees, but would like to sell them to the church of Nethys who would likewise pay well. It is an unknown article of magic, and Nethys is the God of Magic, after all.

Pezock doesn't want a damn thing to do with them, even backing away practically hiding behind Lalarlia.
    Stephan stands by Lalarlia, taking out his dread maul. He shakes his head, swings the hammer onto the ground, cracking a mineral deposit.

Ankarum, where do you stand on this?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2015-01-29 at 05:58 AM.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Ankarum does not fear evil gems; their power is spent. What Ankarum wants to know is why go to much effort to make dolls and put in this hole? What is the doll's purpose?

11. - Top - End - #161

"Half-owl actually has a good point," says Gelik.

"No doubt a guard of some sort,"
    adds Jask. "Which means something or someone worth guarding."

"Well, to it, then," says Lalarlia.

The seemingly natural, tube-like tunnel, after a closer look, is only 2' in diameter. Not one of the Big Folk in the party has any illusions about fitting or having the spelunking training to fit through such a narrow space, with or without their gear.

"I have some skill, having a slender frame with thinner shoulders," creaks Pezock, "that has helped me in the past to get out of tight spots, but even on my best day I can't do this.

There's this slow pause as everyone begins to look at Gelik. "Hell, no. Sure, I can squeeze through, but we don't know what's on the other side; and, I'm disinclined that it happens to be dinner ... me."
    Show

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Guards out here, treasure inside. We tie rope to Gelik to pull out fast if there is trouble. Gelik can wear Ankarum's bracers if they help. No risk ....no reward.

13. - Top - End - #163

Gelik looks at Ankarum with mouth agape, then recovers and flatly says, following it up with more of a sing-songy, mocking tone, "You're an idiot. Let me ask you, do you think the whooole reason we came heeeere - Ieana - is hiiiiding dowwwwn theeere, hmmm? Well, I doubt that this is a necessary risk. There was more to look at before we came down that trap door in the alcove, like the bridge the skeletons attacked us from in the first place. But I damn sure am not going down there, needle-shooter.

"Put it this way,"
    and at this point he mocks Ankarum's style of speech, even taking on a goofy attempt at a lower human voice,"Gelik no go in tube. Gelik say go back up rope to big room. Gelik say go place snake woman might go. Gelik tired from Gelik speak in third voice and speak with few silly-balls."

Definitely laughter in the ranks with that one, try as they might to hold it back.
    Spoiler
    Show
    There's only so much you can do when a comedian goes on the offensive and makes a result of 27 on his Perform (comedy) check to insult his target while entertaining everyone else.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2015-01-31 at 01:12 AM.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Ankarum smiles and shrugs good naturedly.
    It is good to laugh in this place. This is something only Gelik can decide to do. Ankarum just thought that Gelik would want to help the group. Back up the rope then...

15. - Top - End - #165

Gelik looks at you wryly and then laughs and says, "I'm glad to see you find my scholarship entirely lacking. Ha-ha! No, that is not the way I wish to help. Though, he brings up a good point. Aron, we've talked a lot about our differing styles. I can actually do more in a day with my comedy than you with your song, and you have other powerful gifts. I just make people laugh and in the only way we've seen that be of use is in making folks feel better fighting their opponent. So, unless something happens, I'll start with that; otherwise, you take me out of the loop and you find yourself pigeonholed as well."

Aron nods and says, "I simply have acted when it seemed natural to do so, in the way most natural. You're right. I am blessed and cursed with things which give me a use in actual 'adventuring' (such as it is). The gift of laughter in the face of death is a powerful one, indeed."

The party makes its way back up the knotted rope to the sanctum of the temple. Across from that alcove (NE), in the NW alcove, there is a lever. "Considering it's right by the temple doors," thinks Aron aloud, "I have no doubt that this is a way - without the efforts of those required on the outside - to simply open the doors. I don't know if that does anything to the water level, but it seems like the stairs come high enough that it is above the waterline."

The rest of the large sanctum is checked. There are doors at the far south, with four pillars in line going from W-E, spaced 10' apart. Meanwhile, Ankarum can only barely make out the underside of the 20-foot-wide bridge that the strange skeletons used to attack from and then jumped. The elf-blooded (the sisters and Lalarlia) and Pezock, however easily note the same underside; the rest of the bridge is in dim light, as is the ceiling of the sanctum which appears to be 60' above.

The choices, then, are get up to the bridge (no apparent means), or simply take the double-doors. Pretty easy choice, since it's reasoned that surely there is some means to get up to the bridge anyway. Stephan and Erin will pull in the double doors to expose Ankarum. The door opens with an awful, bone-shuddering screeching as they open on ancient hinges. The lights might tell people in the next chamber or down the hall you're here, but those doors are loud enough to possibly alert the entire temple if anything else is here.

Ahead is a 10-foot-wide passageway that goes 40' before it dead ends. 10' ahead there is a 10' x 10' intersection. Both lead to 10' wide stairs heading up. Jask says to take the west stairs upwards, which goes up 30' before it gets to a long landing 10' x 20'. The end of the landing continues upwards to the north, along another 30' of stairs until you get to a place where bits of bone and fragments of wood lie scattered through this room. The walls are carved with hundreds, perhaps thousands, of strange runes interspersed with the periodic image of a stylized rune that looks like a fanged skull.

"An ancient scriptorium," Jask whispers reverently. Gelik gives a long, low whistle, nodding his head in agreement.

"All that remains of the wooden tables and chairs are fragments on the ground," comments Lalarlia, "and yet, they should have rotted away by now."

Jask and Gelik read several passages on the wall, and both agree that they are primarily prayers to Zura written in Azlanti. The two scholars of that ancient time look at more of the runes on the wall, though there is some frustration in translation because of missing portions of wall that have cracked and the ancient inscriber's fondness for awkward metaphor, but four key bits of information can be gleaned from the carvings.
    Spoiler: Scriptorium
    Show

• This chamber was once a scriptorium where books and scrolls sacred to the worship of Zura were transcribed and illuminated.
    • This temple was built over an even more ancient temple -- one that was dedicated to a deity referred to only as the "Beheaded One," an entity that was apparently an enemy to the ancient cult of Zura.
    • Several prayers seem to indicate that the ancients made use of undead slaves created from both "humans culled from the unbelievers and slaves of the Beheaded One."
    • As much hatred as the Zura cultists had for the "slaves of the Beheaded One," they also seemed to despise their own kind -- especially those they called the "misbegotten of Saventh-Yhi."

Gelik gives a slight gasp as he speaks the last out loud. He looks around. "When I was bored at the Grand Lodge - which was not common considering how hard they worked us - my guilty pleasure would be to sneak into the map room. I would just look at the artistry of the maps, and read the atlases and almanacs of the wonderful places to visit. Of course that means that I read stories about fabled places as well. See, 'Saventh-Yhi' is a legendary but still undiscovered lost city said to lie hidden somewhere in the depths of the Mwangi Expanse. Any knowledge of Saventh-Yhi is rare, and these mentions would be of a great value to the Society, let alone any scholar interested in the subject."

"It so happens," Jask says, "I have no idea of this place, and you have me at a disadvantage. But my focus of study is actually the history of the Mwangi Expanse. Perhaps we can work together to rubbings of the runes on the walls. I estimate three days of work.

"First things, first," interrupts Lalarlia to the two drooling scholars. "Let us finish our task of vengeance, which is work more timely sought, and then we can enjoy the fruits of our labors - scholarly and otherwise."
    Show

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

What Lalarlia said.

17. - Top - End - #167

There are a large set of double doors to the E. On the north end of the wall, there are two doors to the E and W. Jask guides the group to the smaller doors first, reasoning that larger places have closets or smaller rooms that may be important clues to non-standard passage. The upper W door is checked and then opened. Bare alcoves line the wall of this hallway, each containing a scattering of wood and cloth fragments. You turn the corner, and a larger empty chamber lies ahead. Empty, that is, except for four seemingly human skeletons that linger here, armed with ancient, broken thin swords and wearing tattered fragments of chain shirts.

R1T27: With amazing speed, Pezock rushes forth past the savage and up to one of the skeletons. With a two-handed slice he comes down, but the skitters off the ancient armor.

R1T25: That skeleton now trades parries and attacks with Pezock.

R1T24: Ankarum, it is only 5' to the nearest skeleton for you. What do you do?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2015-02-10 at 09:09 AM.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

With a lunge (5ft step), Ankarum deals a savage backhanded swing to the skeleton with his heavy wooden shield.

to hit
    (1d20+6)[12]
    to damage
    (1d4+3)[6]

19. - Top - End - #169

R1T24: With a lunge, Ankarum attempts a savage backhanded swing to the skeleton with his heavy wooden shield, but it clips off of the old armor.

R1T22: Lalarlia moves up and produces the symbol of Calistria as she says something in foreign words. In doing so, two are utterly annihilated by holy energy (including Ankarum's opponent).

R1T21-20: Knowing this to be a short battle, Aron and Jask hold back, careful not to expend any resources.

R1T8: There is quite a pause, but the second of the two remaining skeletons attacks Ankarum, but with little hope of scoring with broken sword or claw.

R1T7: Stephan takes out his dread maul while stepping up beside Ankarum, and that skeleton is no more. One more.

R1T6: Armed with nothing but small, edged weapons and magic of mental trickery, Erin holds back.

R1T5: With only one weak opponent left, Gelik does not make jokes but sends forth a bolt of acid. Being neither combatant nor marksman like Ankarum or Erin, the sizzle goes past Pezock's ear.

End Round 1, Begin Round 2 ...

R2T27-25: Pezock continues to fight with his opponent with sword and beak. The skeleton manages to strike a blow against the side of Pezock's head for 6 (max), something the previously wounded bird-man does not need.

R2T24: Ankarum, a simple 5-foot step to get to the last skellie fighting Pezock ...
    Show

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Five foot step and bash with shield.

to hit
    (1d20+6)[8]

to damage
    (1d4+3)[6]

21. - Top - End - #171

R2T24: With a step forward, Ankarum obviously is used to flattening meaty opponents. Of course, this opponent is totally devoid of any meaty parts and he misses wildly.

R2T22-20: Lalarlia moves in, and while far from being a preferred weapon it nevertheless is part of any good holy warrior's complement and she swings, just glancing with the shield but it is enough to nearly shatter the monster which barely lingers on.

R2T7: Stephan moves around and comes back around the limping bone-thing and shatters it with an almost disinterested blow from the black, musclebound Mwangi half-breed.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Humph. Bone things not good fight.
    Need to find snake witch. I will see if I can find trace of recent tracks.

although not his familiar terraign, Ankarum searches for recent distubances in the dusty floor of the ancient temple as they explore.

(1d20+9)[24] perception

23. - Top - End - #173

Ankarum searches around and determines that nothing has been here for many generations.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

No tracks here. Keep eyes open for signs of disturbances as we go.

Ankarum will continue to make periodic checks for signs of recent passage as the group explores the temple.

25. - Top - End - #175

Everything done here, the group backs out of this section to the scriptorium. The E double-doors are checked and open, and this is the W entrance to the bridge that overlooks the main sanctum from which you entered, and is also the place from which the strange skeletons attacked. It's 50' to a similar set of double doors to the E. Checked/ opened as before and beyond are 10w (10' wide) temple halls that extend past light. 30' along the path, the alert savage notes that there are strange ridges in the ground, separations of ancient tile that don't seem right. A closer look and it seems like this might be trapped, but in what manner is unknown.

What do you do?
    Show

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Stop!says the savage warrior. Ankarum holds up a closed fist as his search for signs of recent passage alert him to unusual marks on the floor. After a lengthy examination of the marks (seems like days pass), Ankarum addresses the group.
    Looks like wierd marks on the floor to Ankarum. What do you guys think?

27. - Top - End - #177

Erin moves forward, and easily finds what might be a trap even without Ankarum's help.

"Well, it seems to be a pit trap, but I don't have the tools to try to undo it. I'm going to try to put hands on to feel around for a means to bypass it."

As she pushes along the sides to feel the faint impressions of the trap's boundary, a pit door snaps open and Erin just barely pulls back in time to keep from falling in. The pit is the full 10' width of the corridor, and is 15' long. That is when Ankarum happens to notice that Erin is practically standing on the scuff marks, and those scuff marks seem to fit roughly part of the curve of feet. If a person ran to this point to get a running leap, the scuff is where someone might have launched from to get to the other side.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Who is best jumper? There are marks here like somebody jumped this pit recently. I can lower my shield with the light spell on a rope to see if there is s bottom.

29. - Top - End - #179

"Don't lower your shield, nit wit," says Gelik. "What happens if you lose it, hmm? I have my hat with my light spell on it. We'll lower that."

Erin looks to Ankarum to answer the first, "Stephan is easily the best jumper, and I'm probably the better after him."

With lowering Gelik's hat, it appears that the pit goes down a good 30' ... a dangerous fall. The walls could be climbed, but it would be a difficult climb without rappeling and an anchor up top. The pit is not well-worked, and the space below is not particularly large. There does seem to be a natural crawl space on exiting to the north and south.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Ankarum grunts in agreement with Geliks plan, not sure what a "nitwit" is but coming from Gelik it is probably a put down.
    If Stephan jumps the pit he can anchor another rope on that side and Ankarum can anchor on this side as the rest climb down and up with ropes. Heavy people in the middle of the line. I can then free climb down then up rope. Good?