New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 51 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1501
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dreamscarred Press Announces: Path of War Expanded

I'm pro eidolon. Thanks for the support guys. I've seen people do a bunch of things with it. I have a rogue summoner in one of my games who has an eidolon a sort of divine/paladin thing going on and is trying to steer him into being a better dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaidinah View Post
    The evolutionist is another example of a bad summoner archetype. I don't know what point you were making against my previous assertions.
    The point that you have to bring evidence to make a statement like that. Pose an argument.

For example: "The synthesist summoner allows the player to generate a playable monster of a limited scope with a variety of customizable options. The evolution point system and limited number of natural attacks binds it within reasonable limits while giving it enough breathing room to be properly optimized for a variety of combat styles. Since the ability scores and evolution points are bound by level, multiclassing can be a legitimately difficult decision that could make or break the character."
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2015-01-28 at 08:50 PM.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Troll in the Playground

Well, if you're really scared of the big, scary, and interesting class getting something, we could make maneuver an evolution.
    I agree that the Summoner is an interesting class.

However, I also believe that the class was poorly executed and poorly balanced, such that it overshadows whatever interest I have in the class to begin with. There's definitely some potential in an Initiator class that fights in tandem with a pet or creature but I don't think the Summoner is the way to do it. People often cite the Synthesist Summoner as being weaker than base Summoner and while that certainly is true, it is an argument that that often operates under the faulty assumption that the Synthesist Summoner is not in fact, a pseudo-fullcaster with combat ability superior to most of its martial contemporaries.

You know, as opposed to the base Summoner, a pseudo-fullcaster with combat ability superior to its martial contemporaries that also happens to have two separate combat rounds.

⑨Strongest Ice⑨

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Titan in the Playground

Well, those are good points. I like you, but let's talk about something else. Summoner's T2 potential can really only be summed up in 2-3 abilities including gate and simulacrum. You know who else has a simulacrum, magical abilities, and some sick melee abilities before PoW2? It is the alchemist. It just wouldn't be fair for it to have new goodies and not the summoner.

"I don't always design strong features, but when I do I make it a subfeature."
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2015-01-28 at 09:02 PM.
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Barbarian in the Playground

As much I do(n't) want to continue to discussion, I don't think that citing one class chosen for receiving an archetype as being the reason another class should receive an archetype is a good idea. You probably want to have an intended goal in mind for the archetype, as well as what kind of fluff would be behind it.

It is ultimately up to the developers to decide, and arguing amongst each other about it is probably less productive than making a good case directly to a developer.
    Last edited by Kaidinah; 2015-01-28 at 09:17 PM.

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaidinah View Post
    As much I do(n't) want to continue to discussion, I don't think that citing one class chosen for receiving an archetype as being the reason another class should receive an archetype is a good idea. It is ultimately up to the developers to decide, and arguing amongst each other about it is probably less productive than making a good case directly to a developer.
    Um, we are presenting it directly to the developer. They're above... in the thread. They get to see how arguments, the points we make, and our interest/demand for the product as the discussion builds naturally.

EDIT: Ninja editted. We have 2 ideas out there already. An evolution based method wouldn't exclude any archetype of the summoner. Another would involve using the summoners unique Eidolon ability to make a character focused on tandem combat.
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2015-01-28 at 09:19 PM.

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Ogre in the Playground

A "fair" Summoner with the martial variant... let's look at the Mirror Walker from a slightly different POV.

Chassis: d8 HD, good Will, 2+Int skills on a Cha class (yuck).

Major Features: Spellcasting (includes Cantrips), Eidolon, Summon Monster SLA (includes gate)
    -Of these, we seem to be agreed that the Eidolon in some way, shape, or form is the defining class feature. The others can be molded, axed, or adapted at need

Minor Features: Life Link, Bond Senses, Shield Ally, Maker's Call, Transposition, Aspect, Merge Forms, and greater versions of these
    - Oddly, most of these seem to work and work WELL with the idea of an Initiating Eidolon.

So, let's set out a theme. The Mirror Walker calls forth an Eidolon which instructs him in the ways of the Martial Tradions. It serves as Sensei and Servant both, and over time they become partners. Neither is truly mighty without the other, but together they are nearly unstoppable.

Spellcasting: Entirely replaced by 6th-level Initiating. Golden Lion, Shattered Mirror, and Veiled Moon (schools up for debate). Charisma is your stat. Recovery is using Aid Another on your Eidolon (they recover by doing the same to you). Summoner gains free Martial Weapon Proficiency of their choice, from any school they have access to.

Summon Monster: SLA replaced by Evolution Surge (progresses in type as you level). Both the Eidolon and Summoner benefit from the evolution(s) applied this way if one is within the other's reach when cast. Also replaces Aspect and greater Aspect

Eidolon: Restricted to the same base form as the Summoner, and must stay the same size and general body shape as its master (so no extra limbs/wings/heads or growing Large/Huge unless the Summoner does so as well). Gains 6th-level Initiating progression in the same three schools as its master (so Martial Traditions would swap on both). Gains proficiency in the same weapon its master chose for free.

Shield Ally: changed to work in both directions.

...I'd play it

EDIT: Incorporating below suggestions, and adding to my personal homebrew book regardless of the outcome. I was against Summoners getting the subsystem, but this is working.
    Last edited by PsyBomb; 2015-01-29 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire
    Optimization stops being practical and starts being theoretical when your DPR is measured in Tarrasques instead of hit points
    My Guides:
    PsyBomb's Guides to the Akashic Mysteries (Now with all three classes!)
    Fear Itself: the Dread

Extended Signature HERE

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Titan in the Playground

I would probably want to toss another discipline on there. I feel 4 is a good place to allow them to get swapped around with traditions. I would say add Broken Blade to your list, And automatically give the Eidolon Weapon Training.

For a recovery method, maybe take a leaf out of Zealot: Standard action to recover 1 (as normal) or Aid Another to your partner for Cha Mod recovery (min 1).

Also, bump them up to 4 skill points/level. Because 2/level on a non-Int based class is mean and everyone knows it.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Titan in the Playground

Working off of what I see above, maybe teamwork feats would be handy if you can guarantee both the eidolon and summoner have the feat.

9. - Top - End - #1029
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    I would probably want to toss another discipline on there. I feel 4 is a good place to allow them to get swapped around with traditions. I would say add Broken Blade to your list, And automatically give the Eidolon Weapon Training.

For a recovery method, maybe take a leaf out of Zealot: Standard action to recover 1 (as normal) or Aid Another to your partner for Cha Mod recovery (min 1).

Also, bump them up to 4 skill points/level. Because 2/level on a non-Int based class is mean and everyone knows it.
    Free Weapon prof and the recovery method, I like. Skills, no need when you have an SLA of Evolution Surge. 3 disciplines is just the standard for archetypes.

Optimization stops being practical and starts being theoretical when your DPR is measured in Tarrasques instead of hit points
    My Guides:

Extended Signature HERE

10. - Top - End - #1030
    Titan in the Playground

The evolution surge SLA is a nice touch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2015-01-28 at 10:21 PM.

11. - Top - End - #1031
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PsyBomb View Post
    -snip-
    That sounds awesome, flavorful, and effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Fortunately, a Monk 1/Warblade 19 uses Iron Heart Surge to end the Monk character class, and the day is saved.

12. - Top - End - #1032
    Firbolg in the Playground

...I'd play it
    Agreed.

Also, it's probably the closest we'd ever get to playing two characters at once properly in PF.
    Last edited by Milo v3; 2015-01-28 at 10:23 PM.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Dwarf in the Playground

I like where this is going. However I want you guys to note that if 6th level spell casting is removed then charisma becomes a do nothing stat for the class. Maybe if you grabbed gambits from the warlord that charisma would add something to the class again.

Maybe a twist to this would be that your Eidolon initiates the gambit and YOU recover maneuvers from it.
    Last edited by Ironsides; 2015-01-28 at 10:27 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1034
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ironsides View Post
    I like where this is going. However I want you guys to note that if 6th level spell casting is removed then charisma becomes a do nothing stat for the class. Maybe if you grabbed gambits from the warlord that charisma would add something to the class again.
    Maneuver DCs, recovery from Aid Another, and Evolution Surge uses/day.

Oh man, there's a trait for +4 on aid another. >:D

15. - Top - End - #1035
    Titan in the Playground

Free Weapon prof and the recovery method, I like. Skills, no need when you have an SLA of Evolution Surge. 3 disciplines is just the standard for archetypes.
    Yeah, I suppose. Perhaps Broken Blade instead of Veiled Moon for the eidolon? With the heavy focus eidolons have on natural attacks, it seems odd for them to not have it. By the same measure, it's traditionally the Summoner who has the magical/supernatural talents, so Veiled Moon fits for them.

For the purposes of trading, you would have Golden Lion/Golden Lion, Primal Fury/Primal Fury, and Veiled Moon/Broken Blade to trade out. Wording might be awkward, but I feel it would be a better archetype.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

16. - Top - End - #1036

Yeah, I suppose. Perhaps Broken Blade instead of Veiled Moon for the eidolon? With the heavy focus eidolons have on natural attacks, it seems odd for them to not have it. By the same measure, it's traditionally the Summoner who has the magical/supernatural talents, so Veiled Moon fits for them.

For the purposes of trading, you would have Golden Lion/Golden Lion, Primal Fury/Primal Fury, and Veiled Moon/Broken Blade to trade out. Wording might be awkward, but I feel it would be a better archetype.
    I'd try and get shattered mirror on it rather than veiled moon. You know... 'cause mirrors.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

17. - Top - End - #1037

Mmkay. I've been monitoring this from work, and I have to say I'm not particularly happy. So, lemme make a definitive announcement here:

I will be reviewing Ssalarn's archetype submission. However, I am strongly leaning towards the stance that Summoner, as a full caster, has no place getting an archetype in this book, doesn't need the support in the first place, and is likely to give me massive headaches. Only my faith in Ssalarn's work is making me entertain his submission, and even then it's going to have to be pretty damn impressive to not be kicked into the death pile, especially considering that the planned Ranger archetype is pet-centric.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

18. - Top - End - #1038
    Titan in the Playground

Jees, even after the point I made about the Alchemist being a summoner in sheep's clothing? Ow.

EDIT: Preservationist Vivisectionist with Mutagen and Simulacrum discoveries. Add polymorph via extract. You have a pretty close approximation of a summoner, without the gate but with the vastly superior Simulacrum. I nominate Alchemist for Fullcaster T2 status.
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2015-01-28 at 10:51 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1039
    Ogre in the Playground

Lord_Gareth has spoken, but I have a significant amount of faith in Ssalarn's writing and sense of balance as well. Can't wait to see if it turns out anything like the rough I threw together, if it is I may never play a Summoner any other way again.

My Guides:

Extended Signature HERE

20. - Top - End - #1040
    Titan in the Playground

Lord_Gareth has spoken, but I have a significant amount of faith in Ssalarn's writing and sense of balance as well. Can't wait to see if it turns out anything like the rough I threw together, if it is I may never play a Summoner any other way again.
    Hell, I'm recording your idea with my modification (recovery method, free Weapon Training evolution, Broken Blade for Eidolon, skill point buff [this is a general houserule I run with]) into my houserules doc.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

21. - Top - End - #1041

EDIT: Preservationist Vivisectionist with Mutagen and Simulacrum discoveries. Add polymorph via extract. You have a pretty close approximation of a summoner, without the gate but with the vastly superior Simulacrum. I nominate Alchemist for Fullcaster T2 status.
    I'm certain that's an assertion entirely deserving of its own thread so it can be discussed fully and richly.

Quote Originally Posted by Azoth View Post
    Just an observation, but all of the claim enhancing feats except for Claim of Darkness can be taken by a Soulhunter archetype Stalker. This is a little sad because it is the one that I think could help them the most. Using a swift action to claim only one target when they have acces to several AoE and multi-target strikes seems kind of off. Especially, when you consider the mechanic allows them to maintain wisdom modifier number of claims at a time. Even then all claiming does (most of the time) is allow them to apply some low end precision damage on their attacks.

Changing Claim of Darkness' prerequisite to just "able to claim creatures" would allow a Soulhunter to actually make use of his ability to hold multiple claims and gain them off of his strikes. As is the Soulhunter has to choose between focusing solely on one enemy or going multiple rounds without boosting, countering, changing stances, or using certain other abilities just to spread his claim around.

Even if allowed to take it a Soulhunter really only sees a boon from it when using multiple target abilities as he has to damage a creature before he can claim it.
    I actually tried to make this work a few times but couldn't find a wording I was happy with. I mmmaaaay talk to Chris about maybe doing a feat or item for Soulhunters that'll bring this function in so we can make it specific to them, but that wouldn't be particularly future-proofed for other Claiming archetypes or classes, if they end up happening. But it's on the table, my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

22. - Top - End - #1042

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    planned Ranger archetype is pet-centric.
    Now there is an archetype I am excited to hear about. Very few of the current initiators work with, or even get animal companions. I think its just the Ravenlord and the Hussar. I am glad to hear we get a 3rd one. Of the two, I hope its more like the Ravenlord. I liked how they worked together as partners in combat instead of using the animal companion as a vehicle.

Note: There is nothing wrong with the Hussar using an animal companion as a vehicle Elricaltovilla and this is not a complaint about the Hussar. As a mounted commander, that is exactly how I think the animal companion should be used.
    Last edited by Kaidinah; 2015-01-28 at 11:30 PM.

23. - Top - End - #1043
    Ettin in the Playground

I noticed Zealot is currently the best PoW archer with 2 (instead of only one) disciplines that work with ranged attacks (Sleeping Goddess)

Intentional?

24. - Top - End - #1044

Quote Originally Posted by deuxhero View Post
    I noticed Zealot is currently the best PoW archer with 2 (instead of only one) disciplines that work with ranged attacks (Sleeping Goddess)

Intentional?
    Well, you'll notice Silver Crane also works with ranged weapons (Bow is even a discipline weapon). I am of the opinion that anyone who grabs Silver Crane (trait or Tradition. Doesn't matter), and has another discipline to modify ranged attacks, is the best archer.

Also, I think Warlord and Hawkguard (Warder) are probably best for that combo since they get bonus feats. Warlord also gets Battle Prowess, one of the few scaling attack roll bonuses in PoW. Zealot is covered on attack roll bonuses, but doesn't have the feats that Warlord and Hawkguard have.

25. - Top - End - #1045
    Ettin in the Playground

But a Zealot can do that have 3 (instead of 2)

26. - Top - End - #1046
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deuxhero View Post
    But a Zealot can do that have 3 (instead of 2)
    At that point, you're reaching redundancy. You generally don't have enough maneuvers to take and ready from more than 2 disciplines.

Also, remember: Archery is VERY feat intensive. Those bonus feats are very important. Also, Pinhole Gambit for Warlord nets you +Cha to hit, allowing you to combo it with both Deadly Aim and Rapid Shot.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

27. - Top - End - #1047
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Can someone please explain Dark Claim to me, the way its written it seems like Dark Claim only makes it so Withdraw action provoke AoO. They also appear to always know the location of the claimed target, but can't really capitalize on it. Am I missing something?

28. - Top - End - #1048

Quote Originally Posted by Nabirius View Post
    Can someone please explain Dark Claim to me, the way its written it seems like Dark Claim only makes it so Withdraw action provoke AoO. They also appear to always know the location of the claimed target, but can't really capitalize on it. Am I missing something?
    You pretty much have it covered. Though there are many feats that grant it strong additional effects.

Also, when a claimed creature goes down, the harbinger regains maneuvers. Dark claim is a very efficient way of regaining maneuvers when used properly. Don't always claim the guy you attack. Claiming the guy in front of the barbarian about to full attack is a safer bet.

29. - Top - End - #1049
    Titan in the Playground

At that point, you're reaching redundancy. You generally don't have enough maneuvers to take and ready from more than 2 disciplines.

Also, remember: Archery is VERY feat intensive. Those bonus feats are very important. Also, Pinhole Gambit for Warlord nets you +Cha to hit, allowing you to combo it with both Deadly Aim and Rapid Shot.
    I agree, warlord has the best feature for this. However, I think Zealot can select a bonus feat as a subfeature.

EDIT: Swordsaged.
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2015-01-29 at 07:08 AM.

30. - Top - End - #1050
    Titan in the Playground

Zealot's do get bonus feats since you can use convictions to grab combat and psionic feats. Not as early as the warlord's bonus feats though.