Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 360
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Steel Mirror's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Monterey, CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default [IC D&D 5E] The Shattered Skies

    1 hour after dawn
    5th day of Late Summer
    The skies above Deacon’s Run, aboard the Melancholy Miss Manticore
    Dining Gallery


    The atmosphere in the mess hall was a mix of early morning grumpiness and excitement that the journey was coming to an end. Not the the trip had been unpleasant, by air travel standards. There had been the storms when they crossed over the mountain gap, of course. Plenty of people had kept a bucket close by that morning, and there were a few turned ankles and bruises, but that was to be expected, and even added to the whole adventure of it. There had been a tense encounter with a Madra Dubh galleon coming across the sea the day before, and it was alway a bit of a toss-up about whether a ship flying those colors in the Shatterlands would be a pirate or a peacekeeper (sometimes the same ship would spend a month doing the second before switching to the first, to keep things interesting). But fortune had been with the Manticore, and the two ships had exchanged news and a bit of trade before continuing on their separate ways.

    Now the end of the voyage was within sight, and the helmsgnome had already announced over the farspeaker that they would be arriving on-schedule about an hour past noon. The somewhat groggy buzz of conversation at the first class tables was somewhat overtaken by the morew boisterous sounds from the dining benches below, where steerage took their meals. The ship’s crew was curiously absent, except for a dragonborn cabin boy who was smartly keeping the VIPs’ cups full.

    The unspoken social stratification that reigned aboard a passenger ship was fading under the prospect of journey’s end, and a few of the steerage passengers had even walked up the first class stairs, into the first class area, to look out of the first class windows at the new lands spread out below.

    At the steerage benches, yesterday’s bread shared space with the last of the ship’s drake eggs, soft boiled and pre-cracked by the ship’s cook, and arranged with a full spread of pickled fruits and vegetables in the gnomish fashion. Most of the passengers in this section were men, though there were a few young families as well. Those that weren’t looking for new opportunities were probably fleeing old ghosts, but nobody cared to ask probing questions. Well, almost nobody. There were always exceptions…


    The windows and tables above are first class, the area below is long benches for the hoi polloi.
    Artist Credit: budlong - image link

    Spoiler: Steerage Class (Scarlette, Lany, Grognar Higgins, Ghara Noxorious)
    Show
    ”No, no, tell us again the one about the kid and the rabid bear! My buddy here says that you fought off three bandits to stop them from setting fire to the stables, but I have 3 coppers betting that I heard the real story from someone who was there, and he said it was actually 2 corrupt warlocks and a demon what needed to drink innocent blood each night to survive!”

    The area around Grognar was, as usual, convivial. Some of the common passengers had already heard about his exploits when they got on the ship almost 2 weeks before, and those that hadn’t had heard a hundred tall tales about his exploits by now. There wasn’t really a whole lot to do aboard a ship, and listening to larger-than-life stories that often ended in a common man getting the better of some stuck-up county lordling was too good to pass up.

    Grognar sat at one end of the long bench, adults and children crowded around, plying him with food and asking to hear their favorite tall tales. At the other end of the table sat a woman in thick red robes, eating by herself and reading over a scroll listing the current market prices back in Vindis of various rare Shatterlands items. Her face beneath her hood was just beginning to show lines around her mouth and brow, but her eyes were bright and keen as she made sure to memorize the information.

    Across from her was a curious young woman with the pointed ears of an elf or half elf, who was conducting a strange ritual with her silver (not actually of course-real silver was for first class, not steerage) ware. She reached down gingerly to touch her knife, then pulled her hand back when it sparked with a little jolt of static electricity. She frowned, then tried again with the fork. Zap. She sighed, making sure that nobody was giving her oddness too much attention. This had been happening to her all morning, and she had no idea why. Nobody else seemed to be having such trouble, even if it was getting drier as they left the sea behind. Why did weird stuff always seem to happen to her?

    Ghara was eating as well, near enough to the crowd around the half-orc that someone in the mess had already knocked over his drink twice. Normally his silver scales and imposing physique were enough to cause people to give him a respectful distance just as a matter of prudence, but after so long on ship everyone was a bit stir-crazy, and even as he reached for an egg from the center of the table, somebody accidentally knocked it over and send a stampede of eggs and preserved plums rolling down both sides of the table.

    Spoiler: First Class (Basil Birch)
    Show
    ”Well I’ve always said that a little healthy respect for the citizenry does the lower classes more good than all this coddling and nannying.” Elias Maxwell, full voting citizen of the Empire thanks to his marriage to the harvest priestess Veritude Maxwell, made sure that he was speaking loudly enough to be overheard by everyone on the elevated first class dining area. “The first step to improving your place in life is not outstepping the one you’ve got,” he added, to make sure that his point got across.

    Nearby, an elven father and mother stood with their four children, looking out of the huge windows at the sand-blasted savannah of the Shatterlands below. The father was visibly holding himself back from rising to the provocation. There wasn’t a rule, exactly, that steerage people weren’t allowed in the first class area. It was one of those unspoken understandings, something that had prevailed throughout the long voyage but that was breaking down a bit as their final port got closer and closer. The elven mother looked uncomfortable, but the kids were oblivious of any tension and were chatting quickly and excitedly in Elvish about all the horrible monsters that they had heard live in the Shatterlands, and how cool it would be to see one up close.

    Basil Birch was sitting at the same table as the loudmouthed Elias, along with half a dozen other rich or noble passengers. Most of them likewise had turned their noses up when the steerage family had mounted the steps to enjoy the view.

    Spoiler: if your passive perception is 12 or better
    Show
    At the same time, unnoticed by most of the passengers aboard the ship, the engines kicked into a higher pitch and the Manticore began picking up speed, slowly reaching a pace that she hadn't achieved on the entire journey thus far.
    For playable monster adventurers who would attract more than a few glances at the local tavern, check out my homebrew monster races!

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    RedKnightGirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2014

    Default Re: [IC D&D 5E] The Shattered Skies

    Grognar had gotten used to attention like this a long time ago. It had been hard, given he'd spent most his life living alone in his little cabin in the woods, but eventually he'd stopped having his tongue catch in his mouth when he spoke, and his throat dry up when he was in a crowd. Sometimes he wished he could avoid this sort of attention but given he was a seven foot tall mountain of a man, with mutton chops redder than a signal light, he knew that wasn't possible.

    Then, other times, he was plied with food and drink, and he got in a much more jovial mood. He hated to brag, but he hated to dissapoint people more. Most of his stories ended up a little exaggerated, though not nearly as much by him as when it went from mouth to mouth.

    "Seems you won three copper then lad," Grognar began, stretching in his seat. "Tho' even the story you got was talked up a tad. You see, that particular story started a way back in my wanderin' days, 'eadin' from village to village 'elpin' out folks that asked. Which by this point was pretty much everyone who'd 'eard of me. Made thing interestin', if a bit busy. Anyway, this one was actually a stop by job, if you know what I mean. I was in the area from clearin' out a felled in mine, so I was grabbed to take care of another problem."

    "This one weren't really a problem tho', least not as far as I saw it," Grognar went on, waving a chicken leg for emphasis. "Seems a lad's dog had caught somethin', and folks thought it was the rabies. 'Course since every villager in the place wanted to off the poor thing 'afore it bit someone or somethin', 'e didn't really want to let anyone have a look at it. So the villagers wanted me to wrestle my way in and off the dog before it went berserk and 'urt someone, yeah? 'Course I weren't too 'appy about 'elpin' out with somethin' like this, but if the dog did 'ave the rabies it would be irressponsible for me not to do somethin'. So I decided to pay the lad a cordial visit, check up on things and see who had the right of it."

    Taking a break to eat a bit of the food and drink a bit of the grog in front of him, the half-orc continued. "Anyway, the lad weren't too 'appy to let someone into his 'ouse wit' everythin' going on, but I made my case and 'e let me see the dog. I ain't no animal doctor or anythin' like that, but I know my way around a beast, and know the rabies when I see it. And this dog, Bear's his name, 'e don't have the rabies. 'e's got a tick or two that's irritating him somethin' chronic, and 'e seemed to 'ave gotten into some spoiled water that'd given him some mouth issues and tummy troubles, but 'e's not somethin' that needs to be put down like... well a dog, yeah? So I tell the lad to clean his fur up, get rid o' the ticks, and keeps the blighter on a tigher leash so he don't go drinkin' no more spoiled water."

    "And then we get to the trouble," Grognar sighed, looking out the window in thought as he gathered the words together. He wasn't much of a word smith, not by his thinking anyway, so he had to take a pause before going on. "As I said earlier, the town folks all thought it was the rabies. And they'd gotten me to visit this lads 'ouse to try and put down the poor little bugger. So, some rookie warlock and his drunken friend get a bright idea - what if we set the stable on fire? Then old Grognar can make 'is escape without hurtin' the lad any more than he deserved, and we get to say we 'elped him out! That's what I reckon their thinkin' was anyway, yeah? So I step out of the 'ouse, 'appy as can be 'cause I don't have to put poor Bear down, and I see these two idiots and the warlocks Kwazzich familiar burnin' the town to pieces! 'Course they were drunk at this point, so when I yelled at 'em to put it out they got all riled up and ready to go. So I slam their heads together like their a bloody pair of symbols, knockin' the warlocks drunk friend cold and givin' the warlock one a nice 'eadache."

    "He didn't like that at all, so he started blastin' me with magic spells! You can guess how much it smarts to be hit wit' a blast of fire or a bolt of lightin' I'm sure. Thankfully he was drunk off his ass still, otherwise I might have had to seriously hurt the stupid lad. So I manage to knock the warlock down, get his Quiddich to run off and deal wit' the fire. 'Course it took more than I'm sayin' to get it under control, had to carry ten buckets at a time from the well just to keep it from spreadin'. But that ain't as exciting as a fist fight with a Quizzle, so I'm sure you don't want to 'ear about that part."

    Grognar felt it as his story ended. A long time ago, during all his wanderings and trouble finding, he'd realized he had a sense for danger. Not a tingly warning, a feeling that got his blood boiling, his palms sweaty and made him want to run head long into the trouble it signified to sort it all out and have an adventure. He put it down to his orcish blood, honestly. But as he looked out the window, and felt a noticeable lurch as their airship picked up speed, he could feel that orcish blood surging through his whole body. Something told him he wouldn't be calmly sitting in his seat, telling stories, eating food and drinking grog for much longer.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Charisma Check: (1d20+1)[2]

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    IcemanJRC's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: [IC D&D 5E] The Shattered Skies

    Basil stood, now was his chance to be the debonair hero type he'd set out to be. It would be a small victory, but a decisive one. He would be sure of it.

    Friends! I'm so glad you could make it! I was afraid you may not have gotten my invitation.
    He strides confidently toward the Elven family and puffs up his chest as he walks, confidence was everything he remembered his lessons.

    Would you care to share breakfast with us, or just enjoy the view?
    He smiles and pats one of the children on the head,
    I wouldn't want you to feel uncomfortable because of any of the riff-raff around here.
    Basil smirks and shoots an obvious glance at the talkative noble, as he congratulates himself on his quip, although it was more just rude really. As he snickers in his head and looks out through the window, he's elated. To see such a striking view AND play the hero? He must be in heaven. To add the cherry on top of his "dramatic" rescue, which is more like a series of statements rather than anything particularly heroic, he crouches down to be on eye level with the children, not very far at all, and in well practiced Elvish says with a smile,
    You know, I could tell you a bit about some of the monsters out here, if you'd like.

    Spoiler
    Show

    I hope this gets the idea that he is brash and somewhat arrogant, but at the same time naive and well intentioned. Not the strongest way to break in the thread, but it's a start.
    Uncle Fong, from Bibliography, and Chibi Fong Avatar By Elagune


    Total War Factions
    Spoiler
    Show

    Total War: Broken City (Retired)

    Banner courtesy of Nyrt

    Total War: Another 2125 (Retired)
    Dutch Kritarchy and Constituents

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC D&D 5E] The Shattered Skies

    As she listens to the half-Orc's stories, trying to make sense of any of it, the electrical jolts emanating from her fingers actually pique Lany's curiosity more. She'd rather understand them then control them. She tries touching different objects to see if they make a zap. Spoon? Fork? Tablecloth? Tabletop? Her own hair - this experiment is awkwardly disguised as brushing her hair aside in a pseudo-aristocratic motion. Touching two fingers together - does it zap? Plate? Piece of food? She considers trying to touch a fellow passenger, not sure how well it will be taken, when the commotion begins.

    Seeing food (good food!) roll off the table and go to waste, Lany's street-born scavenger instincts kick in. Oh, let me help with that! She dives under the table to collect the food from the floor, and while at it, she gathers as many pieces of food as possible, stuffing them in her bosom or pockets. When she's back on her feet, she is a bit more ... plump. Hopefully no one notices.

    Sir Grognar? She gains courage to address the storyteller. Did you ever see a Dragon?
    Last edited by Galen; 2014-09-24 at 02:25 PM.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    RedKnightGirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2014

    Default Re: [IC D&D 5E] The Shattered Skies

    Hm? Grognar turns to look at the half-elf, giving a boisterous laugh as he does. "I'm still 'ere, ain't I? From what I 'ear if I'd ever seen a dragon I wouldn't be, whatever you've 'eard," the half-orc admitted. Twitchy little thing, wasn't she?

    "'Course even if that weren't the case, ain't many dragons on the Eastern Frontier," he went on. "'eard there are plenty where we're going though. As much as I know those buggers are more dangerous than a summer squall, it still gets the blood boilin' to think about."

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC D&D 5E] The Shattered Skies

    Scarlette's brow furled as she tried to study the scroll. No small feat given all the distractions around her. Some half-orc down the way was telling boastful stories about his adventures. Some of the stories amused her and made her think back to her own days of adventuring. Anyone paying close attention would see her crack a smile occasionally when some brigand got thrown out a window or some warlock got cracked on the head.

    But there were other distractions too. Raised voices coming from the first class dining area, some elf next to her apparently playing with flash powder and now even the engines of the airship itself seemed to be getting angrier.

    Scarlette looked up from her scroll. After living with a mechanist for so long she knew enough to know that louder engines usually meant faster engines. They were approaching their destination and although they were still several hours away one would assume that, if anything, they would be slowing down, not speeding up. After carefully rolling up the scroll and putting in one of her inner robe pockets, she stood up and walked over to a nearby window and gazed out over the desolate landscape. The shadows splayed out over the floor were moving, indicating they were changing direction.

    "Quiet! All of you!" Scarlette turned around, her gaze turning towards the ceiling, trying to sense the motion of the ship. She waited for most of the voices in the dining area to die down. "Something's wrong. We're changing course."

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: [IC D&D 5E] The Shattered Skies

    Ghara keeps hold of his third mug of ale protectively, ensuring that no one would knock it over. When the pile of eggs and other food stuffs came crashing down, he shoved himself back and to his feet, knocking over the stool he was sitting on. As his arms flew out to keep his balance, his ale sloshed violently and he watched in horror as yet his third drink splashed on the floor. Then suddenly a small half-elf is dashing in front of him stuffing as much into her pockets as she could. When she stood up and looked around to see if anyone had noticed he pretended to be focused on his spilled drink. With a ragged sigh, his silver frills deflating, he shook his head, his tail flopped heavily to the ground, picked up the too-small-for-him stool, and tried to move to the wall where things were safer. He was so close to being home...

    When the human female called for silence, he turned to face her and stood still, calmly waiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemunde View Post
    "Something's wrong. We're changing course."
    He furrowed his scaled brow and walked up behind her by the window. He let out a concerned grunt, his heavy tail swishing in agitation. "Can you see why?"

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Steel Mirror's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Monterey, CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC D&D 5E] The Shattered Skies

    Spoiler: First Class
    Show
    <"My name is Twylla and I'm going to ride a bullette,"> said one of the younger girls, again in Elvish. <"A bullette in mating season can eat thirty pre-cent of its body weight in a day."> Her sisters kept shyly quiet, though the youngest one (who was so small that she was just barely walking) smiled at Basil and reached out to poke an errant leaf sprouting from his head. Her mother quickly snatched her hand back and muttered an embarrassed apology.

    The father smiled at Basil. "Yes, thank you for the invitation," he said in lightly accented Common. "My daughters just couldn't wait to see their new home. Personally, I long to see a few of the home trees or perhaps just a patch of green instead of this endless brown, but to them it's all just a grand adventure. And at least in a new land, we can leave behind classes and citizens." He spat the words like they tasted sour.

    Behind them both, the pompous citizen spoke up again. "Look, I get that both of you come from some forest, so maybe you don't understand how it works in civilization. If you can't afford to travel in style, at least have the decency to stay among your own kind rather than disturbing the digestion of those who are your betters!" As he spoke his wife continued eating her breakfast daintily, as though she hadn't noticed the situation at all. At the next table over, though, two rough-looking dwarves rose from half-eaten plates and looked meaningfully at the family of elves, and Basil as well.

    Spoiler: Among the Common Folk
    Show
    The people seemed to be entertained by Grognar's story, even if it wasn't quite as sensational as it had sounded at first. Once he got to the part where he admitted that the evil warlock demons/bandit group had been more drunk than sinister, one of the listening men grunted and handed over a few coins, and a few other people seemed to lose interest. By the time he was done, the crowd had settled down and were no longer in danger of knocking over anyone's breakfast.

    So everyone heard when Scarlette noted the ship's changing course. Since there was nobody from the ship's crew nearby to ask about it (which was a bit unusual itself), a few of the people began muttering. "Someone should be here," said a woman sitting at the table. "They've never left the mess hall during meal time before. It isn't pirates again, is it?"

    Lany kept her food reserves from bursting out as she listened to the half-orc talking, not immediately realizing that her experiments with personal electricity were still keeping her hair standing on end. It might have aroused a little more interest from those around her, if it were not for the mysterious changing course, as well as the continued and even louder sounds of raised voices coming from the first class area.
    For playable monster adventurers who would attract more than a few glances at the local tavern, check out my homebrew monster races!

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    IcemanJRC's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: [IC D&D 5E] The Shattered Skies

    Basil smiled at the children and chuckled, <That's amazing Twylla. I wish I was brave enough to ride a bullette, you're a real adventurer in the making I bet.> He plucks the errant leaf from his head and hands it to the smallest child, <Remember to stay out of trouble little ones, I've got to go have a talk with a stinky old man.>

    As he stands again and gives a reassuring nod to the father then, staring coolly at the rather vociferous noble, he speaks calmly. Perhaps you should learn some manners sir, I am in the direct employ of the capital and I think you owe my friends and I an apology. Basil draws his diplomatic credentials and proof of citizenship from his coat pocket and presents it smugly, Perhaps you should learn your place.

    Basil knew full well that government employ was hardly the height of privilege, but he would not be taken lightly. He would prove his pedigree and he'd stick up for this family if it killed him, judging by the look of those dwarves it may make for a short career.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Exactly how big a deal is it that Basil is a diplomat? Does that hold any clout, obviously citizenship does, but is his place actually in any way above Lord Fussypants?
    Uncle Fong, from Bibliography, and Chibi Fong Avatar By Elagune


    Total War Factions
    Spoiler
    Show

    Total War: Broken City (Retired)

    Banner courtesy of Nyrt

    Total War: Another 2125 (Retired)
    Dutch Kritarchy and Constituents

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC D&D 5E] The Shattered Skies

    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm presuming that the view from the lower class dining area isn't very good, based on the information we've been given so far. Also I'm picturing the window she's looking out is facing the port or starboard side so she isn't seeing anything in front or behind the ship.


    Scarlette squinted looking out the window, trying to see through the haze lit by the bright morning sun. If there were pirates coming from in front of the ship it might instigate a course change, she thought.

    It's difficult to see anything from here. We can get a better view from the first class dining area. It sounds like they're having some kind of argument up there anyway. They may be talking to one of the crew members.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Scarlette starts moving towards the stairs leading to the first class balcony.
    Last edited by Lemunde; 2014-09-26 at 02:27 AM.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC D&D 5E] The Shattered Skies

    Well, that figures. Officers are too busy coddling to first class. What? Why are people looking at me like that? Oh, that? Bad hair day. Happens sometimes. Let me fix that. Holding the unruly strands down with both hands, Lany also steps toward first class dining.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    RedKnightGirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2014

    Default Re: [IC D&D 5E] The Shattered Skies

    "I reckon we should just sit tight and relax for now," Grognar noted as he saw the others beginning to get anxious. And their fellow passengers too. Best not to cause too big a fuss. "Don't get me wrong, there's somethin' fishy goin' on," the half-orc went on, leaning back in his seat. "But when they want us, they'll come get us. It's like an law nobody went and wrote down - when there's trouble, they grab the more competent folks to sort it out. They'll come get us soon I'll wager, but until then enjoy the brief bit of peace you have left."

    Looking at his fellow passengers, he realized that might not come off as all that calming. "Don't worry folks, if it was somethin' that threatened the ship they'd have grabbed us already. It'll likely be somethin' else that's afoot. So ya'll should be safe enough."

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Steel Mirror's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Monterey, CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC D&D 5E] The Shattered Skies

    Steerage

    Most of the people seemed mollified by Grognar's appeal for calm, or at least were satisfied that, whatever the issue was, it wasn't their problem for now. They returned to their meals, still talking happily about the end of the journey, with perhaps a few worried glances towards the portholes. A couple of halfling children appeared around Grognar's chair, asking him to let them grab onto his arm again and dangle as he held it out straight from his body (a game that had proved endlessly entertaining to the most youthful passenger's aboard the Manticore).

    Scarlette, Lany, and Ghara, on the other hand, walked up the staircase to the first class area, noting that the stewards who were usually there to wait on the VIPs and keep the steerage passengers from barging in weren't there, either. On the other hand, the source of the disturbance did come into view...

    First Class

    Basil flashed his official documents - and they really were quite official - and most of the people in the first class area hastily found something else to occupy their attention. One table over, a pompous fat man who had been nodding along with everything Mr. Maxwell had been whining about gaped stupidly at Basil's credentials, a piece of ham falling from his open mouth to plop on his lap. A few other people who had been getting ready to stand up and force the issue with the elven family suddenly realized that finishing their breakfast sounded like more fun, after all.

    The two dwarves and Mr. Elias Maxwell did not back down, though he at least seemed to realize how alone he suddenly was. The only sounds following Basil's announcement of his title was the clinking of silverware as people tried, very deliberately to Not Notice Anything Amiss.

    Soon, though, Mr. Maxwell seemed to realize that it was him and his two dwarf lackies (his wife was still ignoring the situation) vs two peasants, a youth so green that he was actually sprouting leaves, and handful of children. And if there was one thing that a bully like Mr. Maxwell couldn't resist, it was the chance to prove how masculine he was by picking on someone much smaller than he was.

    "Here, here," he said with fake cheer. He took a few steps toward Basil and the children, the dwarves taking up position slightly behind him and to either side. "This isn't a question of class, or position, my good . . . people. It's a simple matter of who paid to be in the First Class, and who did not. And I'm afraid that these delightful people, Sir Ambassador, did not pay and so, regretfully, I must insist that they leave and find a view of the plains elsewhere. I insist, and," he snapped his fingers, "so do my two friends."

    The dwarves took a menacing step towards them, coming within reach of Basil in the process. The elven children all shrank back from these scary people who smelled like armpits and Arjien Ale (an important part of a Dwarven breakfast), except for little Twylla. She stood in between Elias and Basil, unimpressed. After all, a whining human wasn't intimidating at all to a little girl who was planning on riding a Bullette.

    "My father says that nobody is better 'n anyone else," said Twylla, in Common that was equally touched by Elvish and Northern Provincial accent. "'N mom says that fat men like you wouldn't be able to feed yourselves if it weren't for real people like her who does all the work," she concluded. She thought an extra moment, and appended, "she said that once about father, too, but he didn't paint the drakehouse for a whole month and she was just lost-her-temper for a moment, she wasn't actually angry."

    Elias Maxwell's eyes widened in offense. Being called out by Basil was bad enough, being insulted so brazenly in front of so many citizens and lords, by a commoner child, was too much. "Someone should have taught you some respect, little girl!" He raised up his arm to aim a backhand slap at her...

    Nearby, at the staircase leading down to the dining benches below, the three curious passengers from steerage appeared just in time to catch this unfolding drama.
    For playable monster adventurers who would attract more than a few glances at the local tavern, check out my homebrew monster races!

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC D&D 5E] The Shattered Skies

    Is this big goon about to hit ... a little girl? Lany was painfully reminded of some episodes of her own life, and wasn't about to stay idle and let this happen. Looking intently into the empty space past the man's shoulder, she calls out in a loud voice, Officer, please take a look at this!

    If the man is momentarily distracted by this appeal, she will try to close the distance and position herself between him and the girl.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Deception (1d20+7)[21]

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: [IC D&D 5E] The Shattered Skies

    Ghara is coming up the stairs, and sees the pompous human raise his arm to strike the child.
    Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    (1d20+1)[15]

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    IcemanJRC's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: [IC D&D 5E] The Shattered Skies

    Basil's eyes narrow at the obnoxious fat man and he sprang forward, stepping lightly past Twylla and standing right in the face of Maxwell. As he plants his feet firmly and squares his shoulder he looks the noble squarely in the eyes and whispers a short string of Draconic, so that only the man could hear, with a cold conviction totally uncharacteristic of his previous interactions with the man,
    {Shut. Up. Be quiet you obnoxious, fat, hateful, speck of dirt. Listen to me you pompous twit and listen closely! Do not ever touch this girl, if you ever even think of attempting to strike a child again, if the thought even approaches the edges of your subconscious, I will lash your mind with the cold sting of my wrath a thousand times and again. You will suffer in such a way that no man has ever suffered save those few unlucky souls damned to Tartarus. This family, these people, I will not let them be harassed by an insufferable bully who can't see his own feet. Your insolence will be met with just a small taste of the suffering I will bring to you for the rest of your miserable existence if you even attempt to finish swinging that disgusting ham you call an arm.}
    Last edited by IcemanJRC; 2014-09-26 at 03:20 PM.
    Uncle Fong, from Bibliography, and Chibi Fong Avatar By Elagune


    Total War Factions
    Spoiler
    Show

    Total War: Broken City (Retired)

    Banner courtesy of Nyrt

    Total War: Another 2125 (Retired)
    Dutch Kritarchy and Constituents

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Steel Mirror's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Monterey, CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC D&D 5E] The Shattered Skies

    Chances are pretty good that Maxwell understands Draconic, or at the very least took lessons in the language as a boy in whatever boarding school was burdened with his education. Even if he couldn't tell Draconic from Low Goblin, though, there would be no mistaking the cold conviction ringing in Basil's voice, a power that reached beyond the merely audible to find something vulnerable inside the boorish fat man, and twisted.

    Maxwell cried out in surprise and shock, stumbling back half a step and dropping his upraised hand weakly to his side. "Guards," he cried out hoarsely, voice little more than a ragged whisper. "Remove this brute from my presence!"

    And then the thugs stepped up, and things got interesting.
    Spoiler: Map
    Show

    EDIT: Finally added a battle map!
    Last edited by Steel Mirror; 2014-09-26 at 08:31 PM.
    For playable monster adventurers who would attract more than a few glances at the local tavern, check out my homebrew monster races!

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    IcemanJRC's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: [IC D&D 5E] The Shattered Skies

    Basil took a decisive step towards the dwarf nearest the window and forcibly drew his rapier, aiming the handle straight for the dwarfs gut. Allow me to buckle your swash! But the attack seems to fall comically short of effective. Obviously not being designed for this, the rapier flails wildly out of the way and the blade smacks the window, bouncing off and causing Basil to fumble embarrassingly and almost drop the blade. He does manage to not so gracefully recover and prepare for the counter attack though.

    Or not... I'm still getting the hang of this thing... Perhaps this is a fight I should've picked more wisely...
    Uncle Fong, from Bibliography, and Chibi Fong Avatar By Elagune


    Total War Factions
    Spoiler
    Show

    Total War: Broken City (Retired)

    Banner courtesy of Nyrt

    Total War: Another 2125 (Retired)
    Dutch Kritarchy and Constituents

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC D&D 5E] The Shattered Skies

    As Scarlette ascended the stairs, the arguing suddenly appeared to turn violent. A plant-like creature was taking swings with his sword at one of the upper class travelers. Scarlette did manage to see what set him off, and at the sight of the pompous wretch attempting to strike a young girl Scarlette's rage got the better of her.

    She instinctively stretched out her arm and spoke the arcane words that caused three streams of energy to form at her shoulder and snake down her arm towards the palm of her hand. The lights coalesced, imploded onto each other for a brief instant and suddenly burst out into the room. The bolts of energy turned inward seeking their mark, the fool who dared to raise a hand against a child. The three bolts of energy splashed and burst as they each struck the man directly in the hindquarters.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Steel Mirror's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Monterey, CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC D&D 5E] The Shattered Skies

    The two dwarves smiled menacingly as they moved to flank Basil. "Yeah, that was a mistake, mister diplomat. If you take a swing at a dwarf, you better have more than a fancy piece of privy paper to back you up." One of them pulled a nasty looking truncheon from under his cloak, the other shook his sleeve and revealed a steel knuckle, which he smiled and then slipped onto his fingers.

    Then their employer screeched as Scarlette's magic missiles took him in the rear, knocking him on his face and into one of the overladen tables. Other noble guests cried out and leaped away, as food and plates and beverages were flung into the air by the force of his impact, only to fall back down and bury the foolish aristocrat in a rain of breakfast. A vial of something that he had been preparing to use, perhaps an alchemical concoction of some kind, shattered as he fell, spreading a slick of something greasy and yellow in a widening puddle around where he fell.

    He was unconscious, or at least out of the fight. He groaned slightly from under the debris as the dwarven thugs tried to reorient on this new threat, Basil momentarily forgotten. "Moradin's balls! It's a mage!"
    Spoiler: Elias' turn
    Show
    Scarlette's spell was enough to take the nobleman out of the fight, meaning that it is now Grognar, Ghara, and Lany's turns. The expanding alchemical puddle can be identified with a DC 15 Arcana check, if anyone is interested.
    For playable monster adventurers who would attract more than a few glances at the local tavern, check out my homebrew monster races!

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    RedKnightGirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2014

    Default Re: [IC D&D 5E] The Shattered Skies

    Well, that was just peachy. Grognar reluctantly plucked the children from his arms, gently setting them back down on the floor. "Sorry little one's, duty calls. Have to make sure nobody gets it 'urt that don't deserve it," the half-orc explained gently, before rushing from his position to a vantage point closer to the balcony.

    By the looks of it was the dwarves that were causing all the trouble, and regardless of who started or finished it it seemed they were in the wrong. The other side had a little girl by the looks of it, so they had to be. Of course he could barely see anything from where he was, but one of the dwarves had been foolish enough to leave their back to steerage and be on the ledge of the balcony. Only right to make him pay for his foolishness.

    Let's see, what could he... Grognar frowned at the tankard in his hand. Seemed he'd brought it with him. Well it would do, though it was a shame to waste a good brew. Downing the rest of his drink, the half-orc wiped his mouth before lopping the tankard at the dwarf within range.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Could just throw a dart, but Tavern Brawler is more fun . Moving up to the bar, then tossing the mug as an improvised weapon at the dwarf against the balcony. Should count as a d4 at the very least.

    Attack: (1d20+5)[15]
    Damage: (1d4+3)[5]
    On Crit Add: (1d4)[4]

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC D&D 5E] The Shattered Skies

    Good job! Lany smiled and gave the red-robed woman a thumbs up. It was nice to know that when bullies threaten the weak, good people rise to protect them. And a mug of ale whizzed by her ear, streaking towards the mean dwarves too... now, let's see if I can control this.

    She scoots toward the nearest dwarf, and reaches out to tap him on the shoulder. Would you care to participate in an experiment?

    Spoiler
    Show

    Move to 1 square below the nearest dwarf.
    Spell attack with advantage
    (1d20+7)[10]
    (1d20+7)[14]

    If hits (1d8)[2] damage and can't take reactions for 1 round

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: [IC D&D 5E] The Shattered Skies

    Ghara steps in the middle of the ruckus, fury in his eyes, his silver frills splayed out, making him look even bigger. He roars with the confidence of a drill Sargent, "Knock it off RIGHT NOW! ALL OF YOU! This a dinner hall, not a dingy tavern." Pointing at the ruffians, "You threaten a child then Attack other passengers?" To the spellcasters, "You pull out dangerous magics? You should all be ashamed!" His considerable arms are out wide, breaking up the groups, daring anyone to cross him.

    Spoiler: Intimidate
    Show
    Ghara moves into the middle of everyone.
    Intimidate check (1d20+4)[14]

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Steel Mirror's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Monterey, CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC D&D 5E] The Shattered Skies

    The thugs weren't prepared for this sudden rush of reinforcements from the steerage cabin. Neither were the rest of the first class passengers. Well-attired gentlemen and ladies receded from the area of the sudden brawl like a tide, leaving Elias Maxwell lying in a pile of broken furniture and the still-expanding slick of alchemical goo.

    One of the thugs winced as Grognar's tankard caught him hard on the back of the head, then cried out when Lany touched him on the arm. No longer just a spark of static, the electricity arced from her finger several inches to the Dwarf's chain shirt, making a zaaap that was audible to everyone in the room and causing pain that was felt pretty much just by the unfortunate dwarf. His muscles twitched suddenly and he reeled to the side, smashing through the banister and falling off the balcony into a pile of empty kegs below.

    Ghara put himself up at the front of the melee and yelled, making both thugs shrink away for a moment and reconsider this fight...but no. They might not have been the most prestigious mercenaries in the world, but bodyguards that don't fight don't get hired. They both moved back into the fight, a little hesitant, but determined to see it through to the end.

    The one who had just fallen down into the steerage area got uneasily to his feet, then saw Grognar. "You threw a cup at me, you damn tusked fool! I oughtta..." He stumbled toward Grognar, waving his fist wildly, but between his sudden trip down the wall and the dragonborn's angry challenge, his heart just wasn't in it. The blows went wide, easily dodged by Grognar.

    Basil wasn't so lucky. The dwarf in front of him, the one that he had already failed to hit, grunted and swung his truncheon down directly toward the young floran's head with practiced malice. Oooh boy. This one was gonna hurt.
    Spoiler: Map Round 2
    Show

    That is 8 damage to Basil, unless Ghara chooses to take it for him (hopefully we hear back from Razorstorm in time, otherwise we'll assume it goes to Basil). It is now everyone's turn again, since there is no Maxwell to break up the PCs' actions into separate chunks.
    For playable monster adventurers who would attract more than a few glances at the local tavern, check out my homebrew monster races!

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC D&D 5E] The Shattered Skies

    Perhaps the dragonborn is right about using dangerous magic, Scarlette thought to herself. I may have been a little impulsive. However I'm still a concerned about the elven family's safety. What to do...? Scarlette looked over at one of the elven children and remembered a word she just barely heard during all of the arguing.

    Scarlette smiled warmly at the child, then turned her gaze over to the dwarf nearest the elves, her smile turning menacing. She reached into the sleeves of her robes and pulled out a plain, featureless black orb, about the size of a cantaloupe. It hovered motionless barely an inch above her palm. As she raised it above her head with both hands she began chanting in common, quietly at first, but growing more intense and ending in a shout as she finished.

    "Ancient spirits of destruction, bring forth Anstarax, Scurge of Flesh and Ravager of Souls to DEVOUR MY ENEMIES!!!"

    With this last she stretched out her arms and held the orb, palms out, pointing in the direction of the space directly behind the dwarf and in front of the elves. In this space appeared a rather large and extra spikey bullette.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Steel Mirror's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Monterey, CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC D&D 5E] The Shattered Skies

    The crowd of watching people, both first class and steerage, had already been awed by Scarlette's previous display of arcane power. Now they looked on in fascination and a bit of worry as Anstarax, spirit of destruction, coalesced into existence between the dwarf and the elf family in a defensive posture, like the world's spikiest and most pissed off mother hen. It moved in an overtly threatening way, catching the corner of the dwarf thug's vision. Then he did a doubletake and whirled around, practically forgetting about his two opponents as he took in yet another enemy in what was rapidly turning into the most unlucky brawl of his life.

    "Well **** me," he said to Anstarax.

    Meanwhile Scarlette continued to sell the idea that she was summoning the fell beast, overdoing it a bit, really, but fortunately subtlety in a performance wasn't a big selling point at that moment for the poor, intimidated dwarf. Nearby her, the young elven girl who had been saved from a backhand looked at the summoned bullette in wide-eyed wonder, then back at Scarlette. "I know this might not be the best time, ma'am, but can I ride your bullette after he eats the dwarf?"

    The dwarf groaned again.
    For playable monster adventurers who would attract more than a few glances at the local tavern, check out my homebrew monster races!

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    RedKnightGirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2014

    Default Re: [IC D&D 5E] The Shattered Skies

    Huh, he didn't expect the dwarf to still be kicking. Idly swaying out of the way of the guard's attacks, Grognar reached to his back and pulled out his staff. Well, more of a stick than a staff really. Designed to be poking into leaf covered trails to find holes while trekking more than cracking people over the head with. Still he rather like it, and it had saved him plenty of times in the past.

    Swinging out with the gnarled piece of wood, Grognar attempted to bludgeon his enemy in the gut, before leaning forward and grabbing the back of his head. Frowning, he looked up and saw a rather dangerous looking beast up on the balcony. "Well, how 'bout that?" he asked impressed, before promptly slamming the dwarf's face down onto the adjacent bar.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Quarter Staff Attack: (1d20+3)[11]
    Unarmed Strike: (1d20+3)[17]
    Quarter Staff Damage (Versatile): (1d8+3)[8]
    Unarmed Damage: (1d4+3)[6]
    If Unarmed Strike Hits, starts a grapple - Athletics roll is (1d20+4)[18]
    On Quarterstaff Crit Add: (2d8)[12]
    On Unarmed Strike Crit Add: (2d4)[6]

    ...that is a surprising number of dice considering I don't even have flurry of blows yet

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC D&D 5E] The Shattered Skies

    As the dwarf below is getting a facefull of orcish wrath, Lany darts back to assist subduing the one that hurt the Dragonborn. Moving between Basil and the girl, she is now more confident of her ability to control her power. Take that, you fat hairy meanie!

    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+7)[17]
    (1d20+7)[14]
    Shocking Grasp damage (1d8)[6]


    If the dwarf is zapped, she'll use the moment of confusion to step back out of his reach.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: [IC D&D 5E] The Shattered Skies

    Roaring in the dwarf's face who had just hit him, Ghara tried to pick up the poor thug, and bodily slam him down into the table behind him.

    Spoiler: Strength check
    Show
    (1d20+4)[8]

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: [IC D&D 5E] The Shattered Skies

    Spoiler: Rerolling
    Show
    Ugh, that was a lame roll on something Ghara should be badass at. Using my Inspiration to get Advantage on that, giving me another roll!
    (1d20+4)[6]



    Spoiler: Current status
    Show
    HP: 4 / 12
    AC: 18
    Inspiration: No
    Last edited by Razorstorm; 2014-09-27 at 02:54 PM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •