New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 924252627282930313233343536 LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1059
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Devout and the Dead: a guide to Clerics

Quote Originally Posted by Yorrin View Post
    Wizard: Not much to gain from a dip. Minor Conjuration might be worth looking at, as would Portent. Improved Minor Illusion could fit some niche builds, and Light Domain Clerics might look as Sculpt Spells. Perhaps most importantly you could pick up a melee cantrip from SCAG.
    Ok, not sure if I said that once, but I think clerics gain a lot from wiz dips.

First, clerics have no business getting more than 17. The benefits are marginal at that point. And even sooner, your spells aren't getting too much better. It's usually better to just cast low and mid level spells in higher slots.

Now, what they gain? Let me list:

Lvl 1:
    Shield spell
    Absorb Elements spell
    Find Familiar spell
    Grimoire and with it a good way to access rituals
    SCAG cantrips
    Full spellslot progression

Lvl 2:
    Arcane School bonuses
    Necromancy is great for Death clerics
    Illusion is great for Trickery clerics (at least flavorwise)
    Divination is great for everyone
    Transmution is also pretty good

Lvl 3:
    Misty Step spell
    Mirror Image spell

You can have 1-3 lvl dip. Which is great and you are about as strong in the cleric side as a full cleric.

Or even if you invest heavier in Wizard, you're not that much worse of a cleric, as long as you grab the essential spells early enough. I say you are pretty set with 5 lvls of cleric. Beyond lvl 9 the benefits start to slow to a crawl.
    Considering how many good spells put the clerics in the heat of the battle, I consider spells like Shield and Absorb Elements, as well as Misty Step, a must. The utility familiars can give is also great.

Plus, with Warcaster, your booming blades from wizard get so much more deadlier/useful. Warcaster is already great for clerics no matter what, this just makes it even greater.

The price is the minimun of 13 in Int stat. I say it's doable, even more so if you are not going for a Str based cleric. Desirable even, if you are rolling a Knowledge domain (which is already a strong domain to begin with).
    I would rate this dip a blue. Definitely better than ranger and paladin dips. It's counterintuitive since the Wiz/Clr multiclassing is a classic bad choice in dnd when you think about earlier editions, but in 5ed it's a surprisingly good option.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Nicollo Corleone - The Scoundrel Malconvoker

Dante Levasseur - The Crimsom Inquisitor (avatar) and his Lumi cohort, Eveline Dawn now being followed by an old acquaintance, Aurora, the voice of Barachiel.

Minaerva - The Wild Caller from Rokiri Island.

Requiem Macabre Doc

2. - Top - End - #992
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dudu View Post
    Ok, not sure if I said that once, but I think clerics gain a lot from wiz dips.
    I don't remember who brought it up, but Wiz dips have come up before. At the very highest levels multiclassing in general makes sense for Cleric, but the lack of stat synergy makes it hard for me to recommend arcane casters. Wizards do have a pretty good list of stat-free spells, though, I agree. But on the other hand depending on your pointbuy/rolling/etc a 13 in what would otherwise be a dump stat might be a big ask. I dunno. You've made the best argument I've heard so far for it. I'll think about it today at work.

3. - Top - End - #993
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

I don't remember who brought it up, but Wiz dips have come up before. At the very highest levels multiclassing in general makes sense for Cleric, but the lack of stat synergy makes it hard for me to recommend arcane casters. Wizards do have a pretty good list of stat-free spells, though, I agree. But on the other hand depending on your pointbuy/rolling/etc a 13 in what would otherwise be a dump stat might be a big ask. I dunno. You've made the best argument I've heard so far for it. I'll think about it today at work.
    It might have been me. I quite like it. Personally I don't like to RP characters with an Int dump stat, which leans me towards the stats needed anyway.

In addition to the features mentioned, you do also get more spells prepared each day - not that the cleric is short. At int 13 you get one extra spell over what you would have got as a cleric plus everything you would have taken that can be used as a ritual is then freed up. A single level is usually good enough but at higher levels more are fine. Personally I like the war wizard and diviner as options that don't lean too hard on Int. War wizard is really good for keeping those all important concentration spells going. Given that as a cleric I tend to use higher level spell slots for upcasting banishment anyway the lack of spell progression doesn't really hurt my playstyle.

4. - Top - End - #994

So after careful consideration and in light of this brief discussion I've changed the wording on the Wizard multiclass section to be more positive instead of negative, but didn't bump it up a color. There's a lot to offer, to be sure, but the lack of stat synergy really does keep it from being a highly recommended dip.

5. - Top - End - #995
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

So after careful consideration and in light of this brief discussion I've changed the wording on the Wizard multiclass section to be more positive instead of negative, but didn't bump it up a color. There's a lot to offer, to be sure, but the lack of stat synergy really does keep it from being a highly recommended dip.
    I suppose I would consider stat distribution like a strength or dex cleric that makes attack rolls... but you can make those same attack rolls using int as your secondary stat instead using wizard cantrips.

6. - Top - End - #996
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MrStabby View Post
    I suppose I would consider stat distribution like a strength or dex cleric that makes attack rolls... but you can make those same attack rolls using int as your secondary stat instead using wizard cantrips.
    Indeed, that's what I though.

Pick VHuman elite array, for example.

15 14 13 12 10 8

One +1 to 15 for 16 wis

The other +1 to either 14 or 12, to make an odd number that you can later bump with Res: Con. (or perhaps right now, you're a VHuman, afterall).
    You'll end up with either 16 Con and 12 Dex or 14/14.
    14 Dex allows for max AC with medium armor anyway, and you can still use a shield (even without Warcaster, just use a shield and no weapon).

If cantrips are your source of at will damage, you don't even need to bother with Str or Dex more than necessary.
    The 13 Int will be just there for the Wizard class. I consider it a fair tax for gaining so many goodies. The 13 int pre-requesite looks more cumbersome than it really is.
    Show

Dante Levasseur - The Crimsom Inquisitor (avatar) and his Lumi cohort, Eveline Dawn now being followed by an old acquaintance, Aurora, the voice of Barachiel.

Requiem Macabre Doc

7. - Top - End - #997
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

If cantrips are your source of at will damage, you don't even need to bother with Str or Dex more than necessary.
    The 13 Int will be just there for the Wizard class. I consider it a fair tax for gaining so many goodies. The 13 int pre-requesite looks more cumbersome than it really is.
    I agree you have a 13 to put some where but is Int the best choice? Clerics often end up as party Face and Inspiring Leader is a good feat that need a 13+ Charisma. In the abstract Wizard offers a lot of good options but if I am not taking them until late in Tier 3 or Tier 4 is it worth the cost when I am creating the character?

Sorcerer offers almost all those same spells, in fact only missing rituals such as Find Familiar. If you take Divine Soul you also get a wonderful 2d4 boost to Saving Throws which can help pass your Concentration Check.

First, clerics have no business getting more than 17. The benefits are marginal at that point. You can have 1-3 lvl dip. Which is great and you are about as strong in the cleric side as a full cleric.
    Sure you will not get any more new spells past level 17 but a two level dip is giving up an ASI; now you may consider that marginal compared to what you gain but I think it is something that should be looked at.

The main question for me though is when are you taking the dip? Before 17 delays getting level 9 spells and afterwards is likely to have little impact on the campaign. You mentioned levels 5 and 9 in your post. I would get to Cleric 9 then take a single level, of Sorcerer or Wizard, and continue as Cleric to character level 18 (Cleric 17) for Level 9 Spells. You post implied you would take all 3 Wizard levels consecutively which would mean no level 9 spells until level 20? For me that does not seem worth it.

8. - Top - End - #998
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

I wonder how often and how many characters get to level 20.

Much as I like dips/MCing I think many discussions on this forum seem to assume a PC gets to 20 or at least into mid-Tier 4 in the designs.

If you do, great thing to consider but in my experience, mostly AL with, now, two campaign exceptions, is other than the multiple times a week players who show up at the Role Call Convention or infrequent special events at a shop, about once a year, I do not see any Tier 4 play or hear it discussed.

So I always view such dips/MCs as how does it affect play at Tiers 2 or 3 (low to mid tier.) I think it very much affects how I approach my character design for both role and roll play plus my backstory.

So I took a look at the characters I am most often playing and those I want to play in 2020.

I find that after a few years playing 5e I am leaning more and more towards single class characters, especially for my 2020 builds. Not because of the power gradient but because I really enjoy the stories I created for my Mountain Dwarf Fighter, Ranger, War Wizard and OH monk, my Forest Gnome Wizard and EK; my Hill Dwarf Cleric; and my VHuman Enchanter. Not that I do not have stories for and about my MC’ed PCs but it is easier to create stories that involve single class characters.
    With one exception, I play AL games only nowdays.

I am the eternal Iconoclast.

Mountain Dwarfs Rock!

Song of Gorm Gulthyn
    Blessed be the HAMMER my strength which teaches my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.

Otto von Bismarck Quotes

When you want to fool the world, tell the truth.

9. - Top - End - #999

Quote Originally Posted by ZorroGames View Post
    I have played in a campaign that got to 20, but you're right- it is the exception rather than the norm.

Much of this "assume level cap" mindset comes from the optimization in previous editions, where the difference between a top tier build and a bottom tier build were astronomical. In these editions theorycraft was more important, as it often led to actual effectiveness at the table, and level cap was a nice neutral point at which to compare theorycrafted builds. Many of the people, especially optimizers, on GitP are either from that era or learned from them. I myself have been involved in optimization since about 2008, and old habits die hard

10. - Top - End - #1000
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

I have played in a campaign that got to 20, but you're right- it is the exception rather than the norm.

Much of this "assume level cap" mindset comes from the optimization in previous editions, where the difference between a top tier build and a bottom tier build were astronomical. In these editions theorycraft was more important, as it often led to actual effectiveness at the table, and level cap was a nice neutral point at which to compare theorycrafted builds. Many of the people, especially optimizers, on GitP are either from that era or learned from them. I myself have been involved in optimization since about 2008, and old habits die hard
    So missing 3.x and 4 due to Real Life priorities is to blame for my feeling out of sync!

Just Kidding! More likely my 0D&D beginnings. When there were really no rules in detail for anything in comparison to 1970s war games everything was fluid, every DM’s setting was unique, and the line between role play and medieval toy soldiers was vague.

I hope I did not come across as dissing optimizers, the two biggest helps in finding my groove in 5e have been PeteNutButter’s Multi-classing guide for optimizers and Treantmonk’s YouTube videos.

Anyway, I would like to hit level 20 once in 5e before I hit 80 (70 next month) or I put away my toys for the last time. Just to see if it was worth the climb.
    With one exception, I play AL games only nowdays.

I am the eternal Iconoclast.

Mountain Dwarfs Rock!

Song of Gorm Gulthyn
    Blessed be the HAMMER my strength which teaches my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.

Otto von Bismarck Quotes

When you want to fool the world, tell the truth.

11. - Top - End - #1001

So missing 3.x and 4 due to Real Life priorities is to blame for my feeling out of sync!

Just Kidding! More likely my 0D&D beginnings. When there were really no rules in detail for anything in comparison to 1970s war games everything was fluid, every DM’s setting was unique, and the line between role play and medieval toy soldiers was vague.

I hope I did not come across as dissing optimizers, the two biggest helps in finding my groove in 5e have been PeteNutButter’s Multi-classing guide for optimizers and Treantmonk’s YouTube videos.

Anyway, I would like to hit level 20 once in 5e before I hit 80 (70 next month) or I put away my toys for the last time. Just to see if it was worth the climb.
    Preemptive congratulations on 70!

And no offense was taken. I've been hearing the same complaint for the last decade, so it just kinda rolls off now. Though in 3.x/4e it was "why are you optimizers/theorycrafters making builds that people will never play and/or DMs will never allow." The answer is twofold: first- it's fun! second, it allows us to test the extremes and then take those lessons and scale them back to playable levels.

In 5th that type of mindset is largely unnecessary, since the gap between top end and bottom end builds is fairly tight, as balance overall is pretty good. It's begun to power creep a bit, especially with some of the Xanathar's stuff, but overall optimization isn't as important as it used to be. Thus why, for example, Treantmonk and I disagree strongly on Trickery domain.

That being said people will still look to guides like this one or like his YT channel to make them more comfortable with a character they are building. Treantmonk is a great example to use here, as he is one of the prominent people in the 3.x days to make high quality written guides like this, and was in many ways the face of optimization at that time. The format of this guide is a direct descendant of his 3.x guides.

12. - Top - End - #1002
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

Much as I like dips/MCing I think many discussions on this forum seem to assume a PC gets to 20 or at least into mid-Tier 4 in the designs.

If you do, great thing to consider but in my experience, mostly AL with, now, two campaign exceptions, is other than the multiple times a week players who show up at the Role Call Convention or infrequent special events at a shop, about once a year, I do not see any Tier 4 play or hear it discussed.

So I always view such dips/MCs as how does it affect play at Tiers 2 or 3 (low to mid tier.) I think it very much affects how I approach my character design for both role and roll play plus my backstory.

So I took a look at the characters I am most often playing and those I want to play in 2020.

I find that after a few years playing 5e I am leaning more and more towards single class characters, especially for my 2020 builds. Not because of the power gradient but because I really enjoy the stories I created for my Mountain Dwarf Fighter, Ranger, War Wizard and OH monk, my Forest Gnome Wizard and EK; my Hill Dwarf Cleric; and my VHuman Enchanter. Not that I do not have stories for and about my MC’ed PCs but it is easier to create stories that involve single class characters.
    I agree with you in general, however I think that cleric does poorly in terms of levels 11 to 19 for new cool stuff. This is a pretty broad span where I think that picking up things from other classes is at least a good candidate. I would say that you still want a caster class, as up-casting spirit guardians or banishment is still awesome, but other than that go with what you have the stats for/gives you what you want.

Wizard is just one of these.

13. - Top - End - #1003

ClericGuy

Except that Clerics also use Strength or Dexterity for their armor. Heavy armor needs 15 Strength where as Medium armor needs 14 Dexterity.
    Be excellent to each other.

14. - Top - End - #1004
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Biggstick View Post
    Except that Clerics also use Strength or Dexterity for their armor. Heavy armor needs 15 Strength where as Medium armor needs 14 Dexterity.
    A good point.

Of course there is the hill dwarf classic... which then becomes almost mandatory. Either that or standard human.

15. - Top - End - #1005
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Or you know, you move at 20... it's really not that detrimental, especially if overland movement is handwaved (something I've seen at nearly every table). Every dwarf I've played I've wanted a decent strength to bash someone with my hammer. Only Death domain (IIRC, afb) grants martial prof and medium armor, so you could go rapier with a decent dex. (Though really, the 1 time I've played a death cleric, I just spammed Toll the Dead anyway.)

I've wanted to play a Nature cleric with ​shillelagh so many times... but just never felt right for any new game. Hill Dwarf really is the perfect race for clerics, unless you REALLY want Res: Con or Warcaster at 1st level. But my original point stands - a 20 move isn't much worse than a 25... and you could grab Mobile or Boots of Striding and Springing to compensate if you really wanted to.
    Trollbait extraordinaire

16. - Top - End - #1006

Alright, I've added the Wildemount races and put a Dunamancy section at the end of the spell list. Enjoy

17. - Top - End - #1007
    Ogre in the Playground

I agree with you in general, however I think that cleric does poorly in terms of levels 11 to 19 for new cool stuff. This is a pretty broad span where I think that picking up things from other classes is at least a good candidate. I would say that you still want a caster class, as up-casting spirit guardians or banishment is still awesome, but other than that go with what you have the stats for/gives you what you want.

Wizard is just one of these.
    ^This post.

I referred to beyond lvl 17, which is my fault. It gives the idea that this discussion is only relevant from lvl 17 onwards.

Actually, there are many breaking points.
    After lvl 9, for example, I think it's quite an upgrade to pick a level outside of cleric.
    Yeah, wizard is an option, but so is fighter, whose dip is good on almost everyone (although fighter is usually better at your very first level).

The plethora of utility spells in Wizard's spell list make it so that you don't really need to invest heavily in Int at all. A 14 Int Knowledge cleric is doing fine.

Here is one very viable build. Cleric 9/Wizard 11. Let's say you are very likely to not hit lvl 20. Maybe, and a big maybe, you'll hit lvl 15.
    You start your first 9 levels of character as Knowledge cleric. And then you progress as, say, Diviner. Bonus point for being a very flavourful combo.
    You main stat is Wis, which you try to max. Having 11 lvls in Wiz suggests your main stat is Int, but we are thinking out of the box here.

Your main source of damage is likely a cantrip. A cleric cantrip, most likely, since your Int isn't stellar. Or maybe a weapon cantrip, but your Dex won't be stellar either.

Your main source of damage remains still. Your cleric spells, who are deceptively good at doing damage. Spiritual Weapon progresses nicely using highter spell slots, which you are getting anyway. Spirit Guardian is even better, but this one doesn't even require introduction. You keep your Spirit Guardians for holding hordes, otherwise just buff your main damage dealers, let them run the show.

The point is that you fully embrace that you are a caster through and through. Your damage can be great, in fact, you can be the biggest damage dealer of the party if the situation allows. If not, you don't mind, you're still a superb support.
    I'm not saying it's strictly superior to full cleric, just that it has it's value.

Or you can take your 10th level as wizard, but then progresses as cleric afterwards, which was what my Death Cleric did. The campaign ended before I took my 2nd level of wizard later on. Personally, I still think just a dip in wizard mid career is usually better than going further through the wizard progression, but perhaps that's a matter of taste.
    Show

Requiem Macabre Doc

18. - Top - End - #1008
    Troll in the Playground

I had a thought earlier.

Two levels of Wizard is a fairly decent dip for almost any caster, considering spells like Shield.

But two levels of Diviner on a Grave Cleric to make sure that Paladin, Rogue, or whomever has GWM or SS hits the target of your vulnerability curse?

If you were looking to MC anyway, you could do quite a lot worse. Even if you roll two low numbers, it’s still rolls you can use to make enemies miss.

19. - Top - End - #1009
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Glyph of Warding

We now have Daerns Instant Fortress, which now makes Glyph of Warding useful.
    I can either cast the glyphs onto a surface like the floor of the fortress or a table in the fortress, as these are surfaces.
    Or possibly put on an object and take that object 10 feet outside of the Fortress.
    Putting aside the cost of 200 GP as we have a huge amount of money, and a campaign with not many battles anyway.
    What are the potential ideas people see for Glyph of Warding.

I know they updated the spell, but it still says you can prepare a spell of 3rd level or lower, as long as "The spell targets a single creature".
    And it also says that "If the spell requires concentration, it lasts until the end of the full duration".

So my intention would be to put many glyphs on the floor of the fortress.
    And each time we have a fight, walk across all of them and have activated on me:

1. L5 Version of Spirit Guardians
    2. Shield of Faith
    3. Bless on just me
    4. Aid on just me
    5. Beacon of Hope
    6. Protection from Energy
    7. Death Ward
    8. Freedom of Movement
    9. Dispel Evil and Good

Or pick my combo.
    Anyone see any issues with this ?

20. - Top - End - #1010

Just added the races from Mythic Odysseys of Theros to the guide.

Worth noting that while Leonin is only a decent Cleric race they'd be an excellent Paladin of Tyranny. Also Saytr is now one of the best Cha races- so again not great for Clerics but after Clerics all my favorite classes are Cha based, so I'm pretty excited about that

New subclasses seem mechanically cool, if a bit generic flavor-wise.

The supernatural gifts are interesting. Obviously a straight power boost if you're allowed to have one. Ditto the Piety benefits. Cool flavor on both.

Overall not a crazy book. Ravnica was a bit more impactful/better, imo. But Leonin and Satyr are cool.

21. - Top - End - #1011
    Halfling in the Playground

Yorrin,
    Re Glyph of Warding.
    1. Do you see any issues with putting them on the outside of the magical fortress, shrinking it, bringing it back, and Glyphs still there.
    Or putting glyph on a table in the fortress and bringing it out.
    2. "If the spell requires concentration, it lasts until the end of its full duration" - seems to OP to have a several Concentration spells in affect.

https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questi...yph-of-warding

Wow, the spell has been changed a lot.

Glyph of Warding (p. 245). The first sentence clarifies that the magical effect needn’t be harmful. The final two sentences of the first paragraph now read as follows: “The glyph can cover an area no larger than 10 feet in diameter. If the surface or object is moved more than 10 feet from where you cast this spell, the glyph is broken, and the spell ends without being triggered” (6th printing).

Reading this.
    It would appear you would need to be standing in the fortress when you cast the glyph on a wall say (not outside it).
    And then the surface or object is never moved "more than 10 feet" from where you cast it.
    Last edited by Bluemanarc; 2020-06-10 at 05:45 AM.

22. - Top - End - #1012

Quote Originally Posted by Bluemanarc View Post
    Yorrin,
    Re Glyph of Warding.
    1. Do you see any issues with putting them on the outside of the magical fortress, shrinking it, bringing it back, and Glyphs still there.
    Or putting glyph on a table in the fortress and bringing it out.
    2. "If the spell requires concentration, it lasts until the end of its full duration" - seems to OP to have a several Concentration spells in affect.

https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questi...yph-of-warding

Wow, the spell has been changed a lot.

Glyph of Warding (p. 245). The first sentence clarifies that the magical effect needn’t be harmful. The final two sentences of the first paragraph now read as follows: “The glyph can cover an area no larger than 10 feet in diameter. If the surface or object is moved more than 10 feet from where you cast this spell, the glyph is broken, and the spell ends without being triggered” (6th printing).

Reading this.
    It would appear you would need to be standing in the fortress when you cast the glyph on a wall say (not outside it).
    And then the surface or object is never moved "more than 10 feet" from where you cast it.
    As for shrinking a glyph of warding that's up to DM interpretation. I might rule that it proportionately shrinks it's activation radius or some such. I'm getting very Alice-in-Wonderland vibes from thinking about that one. And yes, the 10ft limitation does pretty strictly limit things.

The ability to have extra concentration-free buffs is potentially gamebreaking and probably the optimal use of extra party cash at high levels.

23. - Top - End - #1013
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Hey Yorrin! First off, thanks for your massive, in-depth, and most importantly, well-updated guide.

I'd like a bit of thought from you, if you have time. I'm currently planning a cleric, probably Light, but potentially Life, for a challenging (3-person) Strahd campaign. I normally wouldn't be attempting to optimize for my role (primarily tanky but with the added utility/blasting/healing of a cleric) to this extent, but 3 person Strahd will obviously be hard.

With that said... Would you give the nod to a Hill Dwarf or a Mark of Sentinel Human with regards to the role above? The prime differentiators are +1 hp/lvl, darkvision, and poison resistance for the dwarf, versus counterspell, +1d4 perception/insight, Vigilant Guardian (though with d8 hit dice I don't plan to use it often) and 1x Shield/long rest for the Sentinel. (Obviously there are other differences, but I consider those most relevant/important.).

The party composition is a rogue (thief) and a wizard (bladesinger). Given the Bladesinger, counterspell's value is decreased substantially since the incremental value of having a second counterspell-capable character is much lower than the first, but counterspell does tend to be a "the more casters the merrier" spell for freeing up slots and spell choices.

I'm kind of leaning toward "both are options are so fantastic and similar that you can do no wrong with them", hill dwarf being SLIGHTLY tankier due to +hp/lvl and poison resistance and Sentinel having SLIGHTLY more utility due to counterspell and +perception/insight, although Shield does add an additional tanky panic button (and works well with Light domain since it's like having an additional Warding Flare). All else equal, dwarves are pretty damn cool.

Anyway, bit of a ramble... thanks in advance :)

24. - Top - End - #1014

Quote Originally Posted by Chadsius View Post
    Hey Yorrin! First off, thanks for your massive, in-depth, and most importantly, well-updated guide.
    You're welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Chadsius View Post
    I'm kind of leaning toward "both are options are so fantastic and similar that you can do no wrong with them", hill dwarf being SLIGHTLY tankier due to +hp/lvl and poison resistance and Sentinel having SLIGHTLY more utility due to counterspell and +perception/insight, although Shield does add an additional tanky panic button (and works well with Light domain since it's like having an additional Warding Flare). All else equal, dwarves are pretty damn cool.
    Sounds like you've got it pretty well thought through. In my experience smaller parties tend to favor tankier builds whereas larger parties tend to favor utility, making the Dwarf an attractive option. And as the sole source of healing you don't really need to be taking too many extra hits for party members, making Sentinel shenanigans less attractive. You can't help keep the others alive if you yourself are down, so staying on your feet is priority #1. Dwarf, then, has the edge in my mind.

25. - Top - End - #1015
    Pixie in the Playground

This guide is amazing!!

Are there any order specific recommendations as far as multi classing goes?

I'm going with a Tempest Cleric and have been considering going with Land of the Circle (Mountain) Druid or Storm/Divine Soul Sorcerer. Most of the builds honestly seem to involve just a 1-3 level dip in cleric and proceeding fully with the other classes. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

26. - Top - End - #1016
    Troll in the Playground

1. Maybe it's just not loading for me but I miss Yorrin's signature avatar.

2. You mentioned Satyr from the Theros book. They don't come off as OP to you? Not for a Cleric specifically, but they do have Magic Resistance, don't they?

27. - Top - End - #1017

Quote Originally Posted by AgentGandhi View Post
    This guide is amazing!!
    Thanks!
    Are there any order specific recommendations as far as multi classing goes?

I'm going with a Tempest Cleric and have been considering going with Land of the Circle (Mountain) Druid or Storm/Divine Soul Sorcerer. Most of the builds honestly seem to involve just a 1-3 level dip in cleric and proceeding fully with the other classes. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
    Depends what you're looking to get out of each. Getting the Cleric early is quite nice, especially because of the proficiencies. And obviously the maxed out lightning shenanigans are a big nova round. You could even take the Cleric to 5 if you're going Druid for Lightning Bolt access.

Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post
    1. Maybe it's just not loading for me but I miss Yorrin's signature avatar.
    Yeah my image hosting died a couple times a while back and I haven't been motivated enough to fix things.

Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post
    2. You mentioned Satyr from the Theros book. They don't come off as OP to you? Not for a Cleric specifically, but they do have Magic Resistance, don't they?
    Saytr is absolutely OP for anything that wants Charisma.

28. - Top - End - #1018
    Pixie in the Playground

Thanks!

Depends what you're looking to get out of each. Getting the Cleric early is quite nice, especially because of the proficiencies. And obviously the maxed out lightning shenanigans are a big nova round. You could even take the Cleric to 5 if you're going Druid for Lightning Bolt access.
    Good to know! I think I'm going to go with a Warforged Tempest Cleric, so I get +2 to CON and +1 to WIS, is there an ideal array when using point buy? I've never really done a spellcasting character so not sure what I should be looking at, especially with Cleric specifically. Is getting STR to 15 a must, so armor can be optimized?

29. - Top - End - #1019
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Good to know! I think I'm going to go with a Warforged Tempest Cleric, so I get +2 to CON and +1 to WIS, is there an ideal array when using point buy? I've never really done a spellcasting character so not sure what I should be looking at, especially with Cleric specifically. Is getting STR to 15 a must, so armor can be optimized?
    This is just my idea of ideal array, though I have a feeling someone might feel differently:
    Str 15
    Dex 8
    Con 16 (14+2)
    Int 10
    Wis 16 (15+1)
    Cha 8
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

30. - Top - End - #1020

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    This is just my idea of ideal array, though I have a feeling someone might feel differently:
    Str 15
    Dex 8
    Con 16 (14+2)
    Int 10
    Wis 16 (15+1)
    Cha 8
    Even with Heavy Armor I wouldn't want negative Dex. I'd much rather have 8 Int 10 Dex. Or, in fact, 14 Dex 10 Str with medium armor, depending on weapon/cantrip choice and level of play.
    Last edited by Yorrin; 2020-06-29 at 06:15 AM.