New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Devout and the Dead: a guide to Clerics

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    Could you add links to each section of the sub-posts into the original post. Would make it easier to navigate through the massive guide in the forums. Thanks! great work by the way!
    Good idea! I'm traveling the next couple of days, but I should have time to get to it next week.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

With the addition of SCAG, you got these two great cantrips for clerics, that is Booming Blade and Greenflame Blade. Since a cleric only have a single attack, this works great for them. Arcane Domain can get these cantrips for free where they counts as a cleric cantrip, and they do increased damage later on thanks to Potent Spellcasting. Even applies to Opportunity attacks if you got Warcaster. Because of this, it is said that arcane clerics make great melee clerics. However, there is one thing that is often overlooked. Other clerics can make great use of these cantrips, especially those who got Divine Strike, like life or tempest cleric. You will do a respectable amount of damage with this. That is Divine Strike + Booming Blade/Greenflame Blade + Normal weapon damage. It means you aren't all too terrible when not casting spells, and gives you better option of conserving spells for support, not to mention cleric got some nice bonus action spells.

Personally, I cannot imagine going cleric without picking up these cantrips one way or another, unless you are more of a blaster like a light cleric. It is just too god imo. Either Magic Initiate, a level of Wizard/Sorceror/Warlock will do. I like to go three levels of fighter for Eldritch Knight thou. You get those cantrips, in addition to some really neat spells such as Shield and Absorb Elements. With Warcaster feat, you suddenly get really tanky, with a truly dangerous OA.

I think it should be mentioned somewhere, that even thou you are not an Arcane domain cleric, you should still consider picking these cantrips up, one way or the other. I think they are that good.
    Last edited by Sno; 2016-01-21 at 01:13 PM.

3. - Top - End - #183

Quote Originally Posted by Sno View Post
    With the addition of SCAG, you got these two great cantrips for clerics, that is Booming Blade and Greenflame Blade. Since a cleric only have a single attack, this works great for them. Arcane Domain can get these cantrips for free where they counts as a cleric cantrip, and they do increased damage later on thanks to Potent Spellcasting. Even applies to Opportunity attacks if you got Warcaster. Because of this, it is said that arcane clerics make great melee clerics. However, there is one thing that is often overlooked. Other clerics can make great use of these cantrips, especially those who got Divine Strike, like life or tempest cleric. You will do a respectable amount of damage with this. That is Divine Strike + Booming Blade/Greenflame Blade + Normal weapon damage. It means you aren't all too terrible when not casting spells, and gives you better option of conserving spells for support, not to mention cleric got some nice bonus action spells.

Personally, I cannot imagine going cleric without picking up these cantrips one way or another, unless you are more of a blaster like a light cleric. It is just too god imo. Either Magic Initiate, a level of Wizard/Sorceror/Warlock will do. I like to go three levels of fighter for Eldritch Knight thou. You get those cantrips, in addition to some really neat spells such as Shield and Absorb Elements. With Warcaster feat, you suddenly get really tanky, with a truly dangerous OA.

I think it should be mentioned somewhere, that even thou you are not an Arcane domain cleric, you should still consider picking these cantrips up, one way or the other. I think they are that good.
    While you certainly make some good points, the opportunity cost is higher for non-Arcane Clerics, especially pure-Wis Clerics that would normally not even bother with a weapon. This is primarily what makes it not an auto-pick, as feats and/or multiclassing are more rare than in, say, 3.5. It's a solid option, though, and I should probably update my description of Magic Initiate and my multiclassing section to reflect this. I'll add it to my list of edits when I get back home in a couple days.

4. - Top - End - #184

I just wanted to update everyone and let you know that I've added the links in the first post to each subsequent post, as well as sprinkle in recommendations for the SCAG melee cantrips throughout the guide. I hope that helps with ease of use. I'm considering adding similar links at the beginning and end of each of the main posts, if I can find a formatting I like. Done- I hope these changes make navigating the guide a lot easier.
    Last edited by Yorrin; 2016-01-27 at 10:59 PM.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Colossus in the Playground

*Tips hat to Yorrin*

Excellent work here! It's a good guide, well laid out, comprehensive... You've done a good here, Yorrin.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

6. - Top - End - #186

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    *Tips hat to Yorrin*

Excellent work here! It's a good guide, well laid out, comprehensive... You've done a good here, Yorrin.
    Thank you, sir!

7. - Top - End - #187
    Pixie in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: The Devout and the Dead: a guide to Clerics

Quote Originally Posted by Yorrin View Post

Inflict Wounds: Good damage that scales well with slots. A solid, no-frills option for melee damage. As a single target spell, though it might be outclassed by your melee weapon, if you're not a Wis-only build, and even if not there might be a better use of a first level spell slot. Death Domain, on the other hand, can twin this for free,
    First of all, nice guide and it will help me a lot, even though I'm only dipping into Cleric for 1 level (maybe a few more later on). However, I do feel I need to point out that a Death Cleric cannot twin Inflict Wounds for free, as the Death Cleric's Reaper feat only states that you can twin Cantrips. Which makes this feat a lot less powerful as it seems to be as there is only 1 Necromancy damage cantrip. You could, however also cast Spare the Dying on 2 adjacent friendly dying creatures, which can be nice.

Notice: I did a quick search through the replies to see if someone had already posted this and I didnt find anything. If someone already did please forgive me. Secondly, I am going by the original DM guide, so if this has been errata'd, and Reaper now also allows you to twin higher level spells, please let me know!

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

You can twin it at 17th level I think?

9. - Top - End - #189

Quote Originally Posted by PapBek View Post
    First of all, nice guide and it will help me a lot, even though I'm only dipping into Cleric for 1 level (maybe a few more later on).
    Thanks! I'm glad to be of help.

Quote Originally Posted by MrStabby View Post
    This is the answer to your question. In the spell section I call out most if not all of the stuff that is affected by Improved Reaper, which is the Death 17 feature. Not useful for your dip, I'm afraid.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by MrStabby View Post
    Hold Person (3rd or higher level slot)
    Hit two creatures adjacent to each other.

Get within 5' of each, you now crit on any attack roll you hit with.

9th level twin inflict wounds. Average damage 121 each.

You still have 8th, 7th, and lower slots to pile on the crits...

11. - Top - End - #191
    Pixie in the Playground

Hello,

I was hoping you might share your thoughts on a few aspects of a wood elf tempest cleric, similar to one of your example builds but without multiclassing.

I've got 19 in Wis, 17 in Dex, 12 in Con but am then not sure what the best choice for the last three (I've got 12, 10, 10 to place - rolled 12, 15, 10, 18, 10, 12). What would you do?

What would you recommend for the first ability score improvement at level 4? Get Warcaster? Round up Wis or Dex? Or something else?

Any other things I should keep an eye out for as a new player, starting a new campaign with this character?

Thanks for spending the time to make this guide. I'm new to DnD and this has helped me greatly in making my character.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Thankee Sai View Post
    Hello,

I was hoping you might share your thoughts on a few aspects of a wood elf tempest cleric, similar to one of your example builds but without multiclassing.

I've got 19 in Wis, 17 in Dex, 12 in Con but am then not sure what the best choice for the last three (I've got 12, 10, 10 to place - rolled 12, 15, 10, 18, 10, 12). What would you do?

What would you recommend for the first ability score improvement at level 4? Get Warcaster? Round up Wis or Dex? Or something else?

Any other things I should keep an eye out for as a new player, starting a new campaign with this character?

Thanks for spending the time to make this guide. I'm new to DnD and this has helped me greatly in making my character.
    12 Str: Jumping can come in handy as will carrying capacity. Strength checks can also help you swim.

10 in Int and Cha.

Personally I would go +1 Wis/+1 Dex at level 4. Your high Wis will be killer for your saving throw DC. Plus your AC will be 19, not too bad.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

Hello,

With these rolls (ie two really good rolls and the rest mediocre), I would seriously consider going with a pure wisdom build, and hence choosing a corresponding domain instead of tempest, and I would assign the two good scores in wisdom and constitution (changing the race from wood elf to hill dwarf or variant human as well - hill dwarf fits your rolls better).

If however you are set on the wood elf tempest for rp reasons, then fair enough.

As for how to assign the rest of your scores, it depends. Do you want your character to have good social skills? Then put the 12 in charisma. Else str s better than int imo, for the reasons SpawnOfMorbo mentioned. I woud probably go with the 12 in charisma though, as social skills come up more often IME than carrying capacity or athletics. At this point I assume that you will be trained in acrobatics.

Definitely warcaster. With no proficiency in con saves and with a +1 bonus on them, your concentration will be very weak. And since your con score is unfortunately even, thus resilient con will not grant you any extra hit points (nor will you have another single odd stat to later further increase your con along with either dex or wis), I say warcaster is better than resilient con.

+1 dex and +1 wis can wait till 8th level, your concentration is more important, and as you already have such good stats you are fine delaying rounding up your two good stats until level 8. Bounded accuracy and all.
    If for example your dex and wis were, say, 15, I could see an argument saying that you first raise them and then take warcaster (though I would still not agree with it, given your poor con save). You have good stats, they can wait, take warcaster first.

Pick a background that will give you both stealth and acrobatics. Do not miss on any of these two skills. They are far too important. You race covers perception, and you can pick insight and one other skill (pick a social one, eg persuasion) from your class. Keep in mind that backgrounds can be customized as per RAW, so dont bother if the background does not really fit your concept, just refluff it and still pick stealth and acrobatics as your background skills.
    Last edited by Corran; 2016-02-04 at 02:29 PM.
    Hacks!

14. - Top - End - #194

RogueGuy

With those rolls, I'd go Variant Human with Wis 18, Con 16 (Resilient), Dex 12. You have AC 17 with scale and shield, will go to 18 when you can afford half-plate. You can also just wear heavy and accept the movement penalty, which is no big deal for a caster, but I don't think it's necessary. At 4th level, Wis 20. You're all set up for your primary role already at 4th level, so do whatever you want after that.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGirl

For a wood elf, i'd be tempted to put the 15 in con, then take resilient at 4, and another half feat that gives +1 wis at 8. With the 12 in dex, +2 for elf, you've got max medium ac (ignoring med armor master).

Sticking with 19 wis and 17 dex, either warcaster or a bump to 20 and 18 are both good options at 4. If you want to do more stabbing, switch your dex and wis to start 20 dex and 16 wis. Lots of good options above, too. Have fun!

16. - Top - End - #196

DwarfClericGuy

Seems all really nice. I don't think ANY domain without casting will outclass a whole ranger but that is just little
    Last edited by PoeticDwarf; 2016-02-04 at 02:58 PM.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by downlobot View Post
    For a wood elf, i'd be tempted to put the 15 in con, then take resilient at 4, and another half feat that gives +1 wis at 8. With the 12 in dex, +2 for elf, you've got max medium ac (ignoring med armor master).

Sticking with 19 wis and 17 dex, either warcaster or a bump to 20 and 18 are both good options at 4. If you want to do more stabbing, switch your dex and wis to start 20 dex and 16 wis. Lots of good options above, too. Have fun!
    I wouldn't go medium armor, disadvantage on stealth checks.

Sub OP: Pick up stealth via a background skill.
    Last edited by SpawnOfMorbo; 2016-02-04 at 03:59 PM.

18. - Top - End - #198

Lots of good recommendations here. My thoughts are mostly in line with Morbo's first response, though Warcaster should be either at 4 or 8, with the stat bump being the other.

The pure-Wis build is certainly an option with these stats, but if that's not your concept don't worry about it. It's a different type of playstyle with a different feel, and your build works fine with Dex.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Pixie in the Playground

Thanks for all the responses, lots of good info to mull over.

It seems like because of my low Con, Warcaster will be the way to go if I stick with my build which I'll likely be doing this time around. I'm part of a group that is mostly new players with an experienced DM, so he'll be going a bit easy this time. I'll definitely build around my roles next time around though.

For proficiencies I had chosen insight and medicine from the cleric's options, sleight of hand and stealth with the urchin background, and gotten perception from being an elf. I'll see if it would be alright to switch sleight of hand to acrobatics and medicine to persuasion.

I'll have to think about Cha or Str for the 12 it seems like there's an argument for either.

I figured I would go with leather armor as with the Dex modifier and shield I get an AC of 16 and don't loose stealthiness which I tried to incorporate as a trait/strength of my character. Eventually with studded leather and another point in Dex it would get bumped up to 18.

Again, thanks for the responses and the great guide. I'm looking forward to the beginning of my groups adventure on Saturday.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Thanks for all the responses, lots of good info to mull over.

It seems like because of my low Con, Warcaster will be the way to go if I stick with my build which I'll likely be doing this time around. I'm part of a group that is mostly new players with an experienced DM, so he'll be going a bit easy this time. I'll definitely build around my roles next time around though.

For proficiencies I had chosen insight and medicine from the cleric's options, sleight of hand and stealth with the urchin background, and gotten perception from being an elf. I'll see if it would be alright to switch sleight of hand to acrobatics and medicine to persuasion.

I'll have to think about Cha or Str for the 12 it seems like there's an argument for either.

I figured I would go with leather armor as with the Dex modifier and shield I get an AC of 16 and don't loose stealthiness which I tried to incorporate as a trait/strength of my character. Eventually with studded leather and another point in Dex it would get bumped up to 18.

Again, thanks for the responses and the great guide. I'm looking forward to the beginning of my groups adventure on Saturday.
    If you aren't going to be in melee and want to sneak a lot I wouldn't worry about Warcaster.

Besides, Resilent (Con) is a better investment of a feat overall. Advantage, no matter what WotC wants to believe, is mostly worth +3.333 on a roll. Proficiency starts off with +2 and goes to +6. If you are really worried about concentration checks then I would grab both for the hell of it :p

One of the reasons I would say Str>Cha is not only what I said before but you already get prof in cha saves and focusing a bit on strength will help more areas of your character.

If you get the chance to multiclass, I strongly recommend rogue 2. Rogue and Cleric mix so well in this game that it isn't even funny.

Oh, random note, spiritual weapon isn't concentration. I tell every cleric this as it is an awesome ongoing spell that in all honesty probabaly should cost concentration (compare it to witch bolt...).

21. - Top - End - #201

Thanks! Any reason you're not starting with the Studded Leather? It should be well withing your starting budget, I'd think.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I understand that I'm a bit late, and everything has been said multiple times, but I'd like to point out another suggestion, that you should have at least 12 in your con, as it is so vital part of any character's survival, melee or ranged. You'll be a glasscannon with low con.
    I usually follow a simple "rule": If you can't avoid it, always get at least 12 at Con.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2016-02-05 at 01:23 AM.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Pixie in the Playground

Morbo
    I wanted to be proficient in sneaking around but be able to heal folks/cast spells while helping in combat with decent consistency. I might actually ask my DM if I could get 2 extra points in Con and give up 3 overall, leaving me with 10 Cha, 10 Str and 9 Int, as it seems really important. If I can't swing that then I'll stick it in Str and see how that plays out this time around. I saw the section on multiclassing and love the idea of a rogue/cleric but we're not doing that this game per DM's instructions to keep things simple. I'll definitely check out spiritual weapon.

Yorrin
    We're using the stock equipment, again to keep things simple but I've already got a few things switched (shortsword instead of warhammer) and since the studded costs less than the scale I'll see if I can get that as well.

Arkhios
    Thankfully I do have 12 in it currently but I'll definitely aim to have more going forward as it seems quite important.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Morbo
    I wanted to be proficient in sneaking around but be able to heal folks/cast spells while helping in combat with decent consistency. I might actually ask my DM if I could get 2 extra points in Con and give up 3 overall, leaving me with 10 Cha, 10 Str and 9 Int, as it seems really important. If I can't swing that then I'll stick it in Str and see how that plays out this time around. I saw the section on multiclassing and love the idea of a rogue/cleric but we're not doing that this game per DM's instructions to keep things simple. I'll definitely check out spiritual weapon.
    If you are playing a caster you are already not keeping it simple :p

Don't worry too much about healing in combat, at least at and above level 3 (and really before that but it just depends). Killing things or helping to kill things works great at very low levels and will save more effective HP than you relatively healing a target.

Bless is a really great spell. You could cast this and then hide/stay out of the way.

Ok so here is one of my favorite combos in the game. This is for when you have a long-ish fight ahead of you. Pick up a shield (Str 12 helps here) and your AC in light armor will be 11 (or 12) + Dex (3) + 2... So not bad. That +1 Wis/+1Dex at level 4 will help with this combo.

Cast Bless before or right at the start of battle. This is concentration.

Cast Sanctuary in yourself, this is not concentration, move up and use the Help Action on enemies.

Fluff this as you talking to the enemy about really innapropiate stuff or perhaps you are waving your hands in the creature's face (in not touching you, I'm not touching you). Help Action doesn't break the sanctuary by raw (though your DM may decide it does).

If the sanctuary breaks then just action:disengage and go hide and help with ranged combat tactics (arrows or sacred flame).
    Last edited by SpawnOfMorbo; 2016-02-05 at 01:19 PM.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

I just have to say this or I'll burst!

Mot people realise that teamwork is key, but Morbo has taken it to a completely different level!
    Hacks!

26. - Top - End - #206

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by SpawnOfMorbo View Post
    A devious Help build
    Another good way to do this is Magic Initiate: Cleric on a Mastermind Rogue. Bonus action Help, keep Bless up, and still attack.
    Last edited by Flashy; 2016-02-05 at 01:49 PM.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    I just have to say this or I'll burst!

Mot people realise that teamwork is key, but Morbo has taken it to a completely different level!
    Thank you :)

I've played this build and I've ran it against PCs... Super fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashy View Post
    Another good way to do this is Magic Initiate: Cleric on a Mastermind Rogue. Bonus action Help, keep Bless up, and still attack.
    Oh yeah, I had mastermind on my nasty bro build (Air Genasi Sorc/Rogue), I haven't even though of bringing it to this build... Excellent!

I'm thinking Water Genasi Knowldge Cleric X / Mastermind Rogue 3

Dex/Con/Wis build.

Bless, Sanctuary, BA Help Action and Action: Help (different creature)...

I don't want to attack as it will break sanctuary but if I just keep on helping... Plus I can switch up the BA as a dash, disengage, or hide... I need to go make a wood elf or Genasi cleric.

Edit

Urchin Water Genasi Cleric (Knowledge) 4/Rogue (Mastermind) 4

Str: 10
    Dex: 14
    Con: 16
    Int: 10
    Wis: 20
    Cha: 8

HP: 67
    AC: 17
    Studded Leather and Shield

Skills
    Acrobatics, Stealth (8), Arcana, Religion (6) (expertise)
    Insight, Medicine (8)
    Sleight of hand (5)

ASI: +4 Wis

The rest of my build will be straight cleric unless I feel like Uncanny Dodge is needed for this build in which case Cleric 15/Rogue 5 works fine.

Sanctuary and Bless are my main staple spells. I will then run around using my action and bonus action to help.

If I want to deal damage then I'll pop off a high level guiding bolt (more advantage) with the potential to crit.

The cleric domain features really help with the idea of this chara yet thinking he is smarter than he really is... But then the deity helping him be smarter than he really is.
    Last edited by SpawnOfMorbo; 2016-02-05 at 02:56 PM.

28. - Top - End - #208

Goblin

Bless, Sanctuary, BA Help Action and Action: Help (different creature)...
    Then you take Magic Initiate or Ritual Caster: Wizard for Find Familiar and Help three times a turn.

Edit: For all that Knowledge is hands down my favorite domain this might be one of the few builds that genuinely benefits from Trickery. Almost all of Trickery's genuine strengths are about positioning, buffing, and avoiding taking damage. You can stack Blink and Mirror Image on top of Sanctuary, you can turn invisible to reposition without it costing you your concentration, and you've got the option of dropping Bless for Polymorph to really bring the pain if any of your party members start to get worn down.
    Last edited by Flashy; 2016-02-05 at 02:56 PM.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Flashy View Post
    Then you take Magic Initiate or Ritual Caster: Wizard for Find Familiar and Help three times a turn.

Edit: For all that Knowledge is hands down my favorite domain this might be one of the few builds that genuinely benefits from Trickery. Almost all of Trickery's genuine strengths are about positioning, buffing, and avoiding taking damage. You can stack Blink and Mirror Image on top of Sanctuary, you can turn invisible to reposition without it costing you your concentration, and you've got the option of dropping Bless for Polymorph to really bring the pain if any of your party members start to get worn down.
    I won't have the Int to grab the familiar. Sadly.

Maybe if I built the character to not rely on sanctuary I could do it. But sanctuary is the fun part of the build, just walking through enemies without a care in the world :p.

Human could go Cleric/Rogue and pick up magic initiate to be the most helping of helpers. But at this point you aren't focusing on the cleric so much as focusing on the Help Action.

Trickery Domain would be great for this, I just love the domain features of the Knowledge Cleric. I'll build something up tho.

Edit

Another issue I have with trickery is that it's damage boost relies on weapons and not sacred flame. I'm trying to keep this build weapon free (for the most part).
    Last edited by SpawnOfMorbo; 2016-02-05 at 03:03 PM.

30. - Top - End - #210

Goblin

Another issue I have with trickery is that it's damage boost relies on weapons and not sacred flame. I'm trying to keep this build weapon free (for the most part).
    For sure. It just occurred to me that it's one of the few builds that actively highlights trickery's strengths since it's not focused on attacking and so can largely ignore the inconsistent weapon damage progression.
    Last edited by Flashy; 2016-02-05 at 04:20 PM.