New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Going vegetarian for a month

Quote Originally Posted by Zrak View Post
    If I didn't feel civilized discourse has a one novelty image per thread limit, there would be a photo of Tommy Lee Jones's wilting, disdainful glare in the space this sentence currently occupies. In lieu of that image, I will offer the suggestion that, in the future, you perform a level of research roughly commensurate with reading the first sentence of the wikipedia page of your subject prior to taking up the pretense of discussing that subject with any measure of authority.
    Well... it's complicated, actually. Cholesterol itself is a lipid, but when we measure "cholesterol" in the blood we actually measure the balance between two different kinds of particles, HDL ("good cholesterol" and LDL/VLDL ("bad cholesterol"). These are giant balls of lipid kept in place by a protein. So saying that "cholesterol is a protein", while technically wrong, is an easy mistake to make.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Thumbs up Re: Going vegetarian for a month

Here are a few more ideas.

In the 'stir fry' department: eggplant, pepper, tomato, a little zucchini and a chopped up veggie burger. Stir fry with sambal. Add sour cream and herbs to taste. Serve with rice.

Pasta spinach
    Fry onions and mushrooms with a solid amount of salt and pepper. Add spinach. Then, you have two options: 1) cheese, either blue or not; 2) sour cream and cashews. Serve with pasta.

Broccoli cream
    Briefly cook some broccoli. Fry mushrooms and then add the now-fairly-soft broccoli. Add cooking cream. Then, you again have two options: 1) stock; 2) pesto. Serve with pasta.

Potatoes and brie
    Fry mushrooms and add pre-cooked potatoes chunks, maybe a centimeter or half inch in all dimensions. Spice enthousiastically, using stuff like garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and rosemary (vary as you please). Cut cherry tomatoes in halves and add them, together with brie.
    Is there a word for the potato chunk thingy? In Dutch, we call them 'krieltjes', which loosely translates to 'small ones'

Greasy broccoli and olives
    Cook broccoli. Mix equal amounts of feta cheese, mayonnaise and sour cream (adjusted to taste). Combine it all with green olives and tarragon. Serve with white rice.

Other than that: curry. The Indian cuisine has lots of great veggie stuff. But you can also take the curry theme and stretch it any direction you want. Like this:

Lentil curry
    Fry tofu with curry paste (hard to say which, but I use a red variety), then add lentils. Fry some more. Then, add coconut milk, avocado and either tomato or red pepper. I prefer the tomato version because the taste is better imho, but with pepper, it has a better bite. Haven't tried adding both yet.

Game on!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    EDIT: Hinjo is red-green colorblind. CANON.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

I've got my trusty recipe for green salad, which has never done me wrong. While it's not exactly a full meal, it's delicious.

You take one head of lettuce, pick the leaves apart, clean it, and throw away any that look nasty.

Next, take a bowl, and a big spoon, and give two spoons of vinegar into the bowl.

Then, take a teaspoon of mustard and add it to the vinegar. Add salt and pepper.

Next, take four spoons of olive oil and mix them with the vinegar, and voila, you've got a sauce. Add lettuce, toss, and enjoy.

What's nice about this recipe is that you can adjst it anyway you like. Take more or less salt or pepper. Add some herbs to the sauce. Leave out the mustard. Try different vinegars (my favourite so far: white balsamic!). Different combinations can make for totally different sauces, while still requiring only a few basic ingredients.
    Si non confectus, non reficiat.

The beautiful girl is courtesy of Serpentine
    My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

4. - Top - End - #64
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    Well... it's complicated, actually. Cholesterol itself is a lipid, but when we measure "cholesterol" in the blood we actually measure the balance between two different kinds of particles, HDL ("good cholesterol" and LDL/VLDL ("bad cholesterol"). These are giant balls of lipid kept in place by a protein. So saying that "cholesterol is a protein", while technically wrong, is an easy mistake to make.
    High density lipoprotein has protein in the name, hon. Given that the HDL/LDL were specifically named at length, described by bodily process and called out explicilty as "no relation" to the cholesterol found in food, I think context sides with Zrak. Cholesterol the lipid is a lipid. But the quoted portion was about cholesterol the protein. It's not a mistake that was made, it's a different conversation using colloquial homonyms.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, that's what I was trying to say.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

6. - Top - End - #66
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Razanir View Post
    Get creative with vegetables? Like I've even seen things like kale chips, mashed cauliflower, loaded baked potato flavored mashed potatoes... You can also look for options that are normally meatless. Like it's not too difficult to eat pasta.

(Wish I could help more, but the closest I ever get to vegetarian is eating pescetarian one day every week)

EDIT: Pasta, soup, and because I only go pescetarian, fish options, are my usual fallbacks.
    I have to agree with the kale chips. I'm no vegetarian, but I'll be damned if kale chips aren't tasty. Kale in general is tasty. Definitely my favorite vegetable.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Two eggplant dishes I like are eggplant parmesan and stuffed eggplant. The former is definitely the easier of the two prep-wise, but the latter gets more crunchy surface area (make sure you use a baking rack inside your pan so the moisture doesn't ruin the crisp).

Sadly I can't say I know the recipes, but essentially they required eggplant, parmesan cheese, and "Italian spices" like oregano, basil, thyme; some salt and pepper to taste. Stuffed eggplant takes the innards and mixes them with spices and then puts it back inside half-shells of eggplant skin.

If you want the stir-fry route, Chinese eggplant (seriously do not use the fattie eggplants) chopped into smallish chunks, along with green pepper and some laochou-type soy sauce (do NOT use salt in addition to this), a little sugar, something spicy (Asian grocery has a zillion types) and you're good. Point though: get the eggplant mostly cooked before adding any of the other stuff. It does use a fair amount of oil since eggplant just sponges it all up, so "healthy" is kind of debatable.

I don't know how you feel about asparagus, but once I had fresh asparagus I found that I liked it. A little oil, a little salt, baked or stir-fried. I prefer baked because I like the crunchy tips. You probably want to peel the thicker stuff near the base of the stalks, it gets a little too fibrous for good eating.

Generally, I'd say to avoid anything that tries to be meat when it isn't. If you're gonna eat veggies, get recipes that celebrate the veggie flavors. I've had too many things that were claimed to be "just like" or "very similar" to this or that meat. I've been disgusted by all of them. I'm in no way a vegetarian, but I tell ya, good veggie dishes are nothing to say boo at in my book.
    I used to live in a world of terrible beauty, and then the beauty left.
    Dioxazine purple.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks for all the recipes. Winter_Wolf, I'll give eggplants another shot; according to my memories I don't like eggplants, but it's been a while since I've eaten any, and the point of going vegetarian is to try new stuff.

A good recipe I've had this month is a vegetarian pizza with sweet potato slices (not boiled, but grilled on the pan with oil, vinegar and green onions), kidney beans and sour cream, with mozzarella on top. It was delicious!

What veggies do you suggest I should put in sauerkraut? I've got a whole jar of it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Ugh, sauerkraut. Man I'm sorry I can't help you, the only rotten "fermented" (but really we all know it's rotten) cabbage I like is kimchi. Maybe apple slices or carrot shreds or something.

Another dish you can try is napa cabbage chopped into 1" or 1/2" (ish) long chunks and stir fried with either minced garlic or spicy tien tsin peppers—but just a few for flavor! I think you add a little vinegar of some kind, probably white distilled and not cider vinegar, a little sugar and cook it with a bit of oil to coat until it the cabbage reaches the consistency you like/it tastes "okay" to you. Make sure your sample is the white stalk part and not the leaves. With the garlic it's just garlic ("suan ni"), but the hot peppers go with the vinegar ("la-suan").

Honestly a lot of the good stuff I've had has been Chinese food, and since I'm not the cook in that department, I don't know specifics of recipes other than "a little of this" or "more of that". Plus I don't know that the chef in charge of our meals measures much differently than that.
    I used to live in a world of terrible beauty, and then the beauty left.
    Dioxazine purple.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, I've been an almost strict vegetarian (cheese, I won't abandon ya. No no no) for 2 years. It will get you where you want. I can't imagine of a human being not changing radically after something like it, but I did get somewhat undernourished, getting close to a 17 score. It isn't, however, bad as it may seem. You'll know why.
    I can remember how my family got angered and forced meals all filled with meat. But I kept my promise. Very often, I was taking care of things myself to compensate their attempts and, if being a veggie is what you want, then go for it. The advantages are much closer to moral than nutritional, though. But don't worry as you can, indeed, take on a complete diet without meat. It's all about getting used to it. Taste is something so easy to fool and adapt.

As for me, I've returned my carnivore habits about 1,5 years ago and can't get tired of fish (What called me back wasn't my BMI, but my taste for freshly caught fish. I love fishing and see it by my nickname But fish for a good reason. No wasting. Nevur!). Yeah, I make roasted, baked and grilled fishes instead of a bbq for my colleagues birthday and they hate it (those ignorant fools!). Get ya the ranking, my friend:
    1st - Brycon
    2nd - Tiger Fish
    3rd - Mantopaque
    4th - Trout
    and add in whatever you like.

But now I'll try to control myself. You won't need to take on a radical diet after that. It's expensive and hard to get the same benefits in pure veggies as you could get in a balanced diet. Just get the points:
    Don't prepare your meal without veggies. You can skip meat, but not them. Add in fish. Life came from the oceans. Wanna live, eat life.
    (spoiler for unbearable craziness)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, man. Join the fishing club and teach those waste-laying industries the importance of what they may be killing. Help us fight for a world with more fish farms (fishes have the best food production ratio and whatever crop you need to produce their rations isn't as requiring as most other grains used as meat fuel).
    If you like NatGeo (mind me, I don't, but this one is good)

So, in the end, good luck and may your experience be rewarding and pleasing (couldn't find a better word LOL)
    Yar! I'm a signature virus, copy me into your signature!
    Though Rivers sounds cool, I've been using Naervern everywhere else because of disponibility
    Spoiler: Projects
    Show
    DeviantArt
    Adaptable Variables & Tactics - RPG system designed for low-power, roleplay-heavy settings

11. - Top - End - #71
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by -Sentinel- View Post
    What veggies do you suggest I should put in sauerkraut? I've got a whole jar of it.
    Uh... You eat Saurkraut as a side by itself, with potato pancakes (typically with meat), or as a condiment on/with/as part of meat dishes.

I suppose you could make cabbage soup or stew with it. I imagine carrots and potatoes would be prominent there.

And I guess there's always sammiches, such as Reubens.

Edit: Speaking of eggplant. If you can do a Vegetarian Moussaka or Lasagna, a layer of zucchini and eggplant would be good there. Or an eggplant and zucchini parm.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivers View Post
    (What called me back wasn't my BMI, but my taste for freshly caught fish. I love fishing and see it by my nickname But fish for a good reason. No wasting. Nevur!)
    ...Why on earth would someone actively be wasteful while fishing for food? The very idea is utterly alien to me.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2014-10-14 at 03:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    ...Why on earth would someone actively be wasteful while fishing for food? The very idea is utterly alien to me.
    I think they're talking about fishing for fishing's sake without eating it as wasteful. I guess throwing your catch back (relatively) unharmed wouldn't be wasteful either, but there certainly are people doing the former without the latter out there...
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

13. - Top - End - #73
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

Hey, guys. I know that this thread is too old, but I didn't find another about the question of how to start be a vegetarian.

And the logical question "Why do I want to be a vegetarian?".

Recently I visited my doctor and he said that my diet is terrible and that I had erosions on my stomach. This is understandable, I drink 5-6 cups of coffee a day, eat fast food, and all this on the run. As for fast food, I agree that I should start cooking, but I can't refuse coffee. Therefore, the doctor suggested that I mix the coffee with milk. Because it turns out that coffee is very acidic. And if I do not change the diet, the erosion will turn into an ulcer. So I bought a milk frother for work. And I began fractional nutrition. And I'll tell you honestly - it's terrible. It is terrible when you have to make an effort not to eat fatty foods, bread, and many other foods. But I understand that whatever is done is done for the better. Therefore, I came to the idea, since I don’t eat the usual food, I can try to become a vegetarian ...

14. - Top - End - #74
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

Metamagic Mod: Thread Necromancy.
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)