New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Question Recommendations for a fighter

I'm currently playing a human fighter in the low levels, in what looks to become a long campaign. Can anyone recommend me good prestige classes and the like for a good-to-neutral fighter who focuses on two weapon fighting?

Also, what are in your experiences cool, interesting and well-balanced fighter additions/modifications, as this board his given me the distinct impression that at higher levels, fighters tend to get a bit underpowered.

As it's my first DnD game, I'm not sure how that'll pan out, but our DM is pretty liberal, and it'd kind of suck to retcon in my powers later...

Anyhow, for the PrC, I'm not looking for anything with magic in it. Preferably something along the lines of a graceful fighter, maybe something with a little stealth, but mostly blindly speed and overwhelming agression.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Recommendations for a fighter

You want dervish, from complete warrior. All about running around and beating people with twin scimitars.
    Don’t date the sane ones, they’ll only make you crazy. Date the really insane ones but never let them know where you live or work.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Or get the ToB and become a Warblade. Because later in the game you're going to be hopelessly outpaced by the casters, and ToB could save you. I recommend either the Swordsage or the Warblade for the build you're looking for. Swordsage for the quick, stealthy goodness, Warblade for the aggressive "I EAT MEAT!" tactics.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of adventurers, for you are expendable and full of EXP.

Overblown fantasy action/adventure/comedy/drama/spoof. Updates M/W/F

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Dervish have a yucky flavor for me, Tempest (CW) all the way baby! Or at least for 5 levels.

If it's your first DnD game, just avoid Tome of Battle stuff like Warblade until you get the hang of the more basic gameplay.
    Last edited by Necromas; 2007-03-15 at 06:15 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Hmm, I actually considered that, but I've already invested a bit in fighting with rapiers, plus this class seems very incompatible with my character concept.
    He is a nobleman's third son who decided to go wandering for a few years (not an unacceptable passtime for those in this setting, and his culture). In the meantime, his father fumbled up a plot which got him and probably the two older brothers killed and moms locked up somewhere, so now he's out for revenge and all that.

(Cliché'd? Maybe - it's my first char. Anyhows)

Hmm, maybe I should have put this in the OP. Am I supposed to edit it into there now?

Edit for reaction: what is Tome of Battle? And the basics don't seem that hard, it's just a lot of 'extra things' like this I don't know yet. I understand the game well enough, as I picked up a bit from assorted games (although some of that knowledge is sadly outdated.)
    Last edited by ElHugo; 2007-03-15 at 06:21 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

The Tempest is actually in Complete Adventurer. Yeah, I'd suggest that over the Dervish as well. I don't have the Tome Of Battle, so I can't say about that.

TWF's biggest problem is gvetting good weapons for both hands - the main reason why PA characters are easier. Go for wounding or energy weapons - more attacks meansmore chances of ability / energy damage. (Or just check the huge amount of TWF threads on these boards.)
    My first character was a first edition thief.

Evidence that MS Paint is still a valid avataring tool:
    Spoiler
    Show

1st commemorative BEAST award, for displaying BEASTLY qualities in overcoming tricksy obstacles.

7. - Top - End - #7

This is Tome of Battle. With an excerpt of the Warblade.

Here you can download all maneuvers as cards.
    Last edited by Amiria; 2007-03-15 at 06:29 PM.
    The Countess of Mispelling hath returned !__________________________________________________ _________Behold my magnetoresistance !
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingAScarab View Post
    This isn't just any drow. This is a drow who is willing to have a good-aligned flying snake come out of her body so she can then fart rainbows.
    Outer Sphere__________________________________________________ _______________Inkatar !__________________________________________________ _______________Starship

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Ah, already a great suggestion. The description of a warblade comes very close to the character I am actually playing. Thanks!

Keep those good suggestions coming though: the Tempest also seems like an excellent addition, and my DMing friend actually has that book - don't know if he has the Tome of Battle

9. - Top - End - #9

With the excerpt and the maneuver cards it is 97% possible to play a Warblade without a copy of Tome of Battle.

Tome of Battle is the way to go if you want to be useful at high levels.

But I like both Tempest and Dervish. You could even combine the two. I'd start with Dervish.
    Last edited by Amiria; 2007-03-15 at 06:44 PM.
    The Countess of Mispelling hath returned !__________________________________________________ _________Behold my magnetoresistance !
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingAScarab View Post
    This isn't just any drow. This is a drow who is willing to have a good-aligned flying snake come out of her body so she can then fart rainbows.
    Outer Sphere__________________________________________________ _______________Inkatar !__________________________________________________ _______________Starship

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10

MonkGuy

A long time ago in a ... well, you get the idea.

For the straight tanker, Dwarven Defender with levels in Swashbuckler is goodness. For damage? go Fighter/Dervish/Tempest. For funniness, Warblade/Fighter/Master Thrower/Bloodstorm Blade is phenomenal.
    Funny, I always figured I'd be killed by a paladin.
    So, what you're saying is we rolled a 1 on our credit check?

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

Hmm, a small request, could any classes not in the PHB (or previously mentioned) get a tag what book they are from? I don't think I've heard of a bloodstorm blade before. Also, I don't think a lot of humans become Dwarven Defenders :P.

Also, I've checked out the Dervish as well as the Tempest, the tempest is definately interesting, but I don't like the 'flavour' of the Dervish

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

I'd be trying to work out a style for two rapiers if i were you. If you've allready sunk feats into Rapier combat then its not a bad call to go Tempest with them. Its a somewhat unweildy build realistically but if he worked at it he could be increadible. It would be a very fast spinning style and he'd need alot of room.

Consider weapon finesse if you have high dex.

Also, you might want to consider the variant fighter Abillities in Players Handbook II. They replace bonus feats at certain levels.
    Initiate Cleric of Skaroq

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Maryring View Post
    The most powerful monster in DnD? The DM of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reptilius View Post
    5216. The Gray Guard PrC, despite being a righteous knight who isn't afraid to get his hands dirty, does NOT mean you are Batman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus_Samma View Post
    "...so as it turned out, it was a really good thing I took those ranks in Craft: Leatherworking. And that's the story of how I became a blackguard."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

I've taken so far (we've just made 2nd lvl) weapon finesse, weapon focus (rapier), two weapon fighting and oversized two-weapon fighting.

my stats are 14/17/13/15/7/11

14. - Top - End - #14

It'd probably work more in your favor to play a straight-up warblade. The extra maneuvers far outweigh the other stuff, plus they get that juicy d12 hitdice, 4 skillpoints a level, and a couple of really nifty class features. I'd go so far as to say that a level 15 warblade would absolutely demolish a 5 warblade/10 tempest without breaking a sweat.

But if you pick up ToB, you may also consider checking out the prestige classes. Some of them are dead sexy and could be right up your alley.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of adventurers, for you are expendable and full of EXP.

Overblown fantasy action/adventure/comedy/drama/spoof. Updates M/W/F

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

3+ levels of swashbuckler (complete warrior base class) will get you insightful strike which lets you add your INT bonus to weapon damage.
    The flavour's fitting as well and if your DM is as liberal as you say you might get an extra feat for the swashbuckler gets weapon finesse for free at first level.
    Thanks to Ceika for the awsome Flamebringer avatar.

As Captain Leif Meldrock says in "Mars Needs Lumberjacks": "I'm ready for anything!"

Thanks to Baboon Army for the great Evermore avatar.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ElHugo View Post
    Ah, already a great suggestion. The description of a warblade comes very close to the character I am actually playing. Thanks!

Keep those good suggestions coming though: the Tempest also seems like an excellent addition, and my DMing friend actually has that book - don't know if he has the Tome of Battle
    Anything the Tempest can do, the Bloodclaw Master (a TWF PrC in Tome of Battle) can do it better (but only with lousier Tiger Claw weapons). Warblade leads into it very easily.

After 2-4 levels of Fighter, or Fighter 2/Ranger 2, get into Warblade, and after 6th you can either go directly into Tempest or Bloodclaw Master.

Your main concern with TWF is in order to keep up with the THF/PA clobbermonkeys, you have to supplement your damage on every hit. So consider dipping into SwordSage to pick up Assassin's Stance (2d6 Sneak Attack) and then maybe the Shadow Blade feat (Dex bonus on damage when using a Shadow Hand weapon+stance), or if you have a decent Int bonus pick up three levels of Swashbuckler and a whole lotta levels of Warblade. Otherwise, save up for a pair of Wounding weapons.