Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default On the origin of tieflings.

So when I was makeing my world I decided that I wanted space marine esc aasimar that could not be played. .I also needed an orignal origin for my tieflings, here was my first draft on an origin, what do you think about it? If there are plot holes or you have cool ideals please tell me, I am not married to any concepts in this post. Thank you :)

Long before recorded history the realms of both chaotic and lawful evil were allied in there war against the material plane, or more specifically, the human empire of Enk. The humans were being crushed beneath the combined might of the devils and demons, and begged every single good god they had ever heard of for help, to do something to stop the invasion.

While gods may be fickle things, 8 of the gods were worried, the genocide of the race that contained most of there followers spurned them into action. While there were many priests among the empire none were powerful enough to accept the raw magic of the heavens, so they decided that they would have to alter the preists. They took a goblet and filled it with the combined blood of each of the gods, at which point they gave it to the youngest prince within the empire.

The boy was a small thing, not suited for fighting, yet he was a devote follower of all the gods, and was beloved by the people. The gods aproached him knowing this and said that if he wanted to save his empire then he must drink from the goblet, yet if he did he would be turned into a creature of war, a perfected soldier able to defeat the collective forces of the hells, yet disconnected from his past life, his personality consumed by the raw power of the gods. He accepted.

Within a second the boy begane to change, from a mere 4 foot 3 he grew to 12 feet tall. His eyes lost all color and became pure spheres of glowing white. Were before he was scrawny he became a wall of pure muscle. And finally a halo of white fire surrounded his head, the first aasimar was born.

He made every preist within the kingdom drink his blood, and they were all turned into slightly smaller virsions of himself, No matter there previous appearance, gender or race they all became 8 feet tall muscled monsters, with only slight hints such as slightly tapered ears or small tusks. They could only vaguely remember there pasts, yet they were filled with knowledge of war and death. In total ten thousand were created.

It was a massacre, both demons and devils fell in droves to the might of the aasimar, Both demons and devils blamed each other for the loss, and fled to their own respective planes, This is the cause of the war between demons and devils. yet before the fiends could escape half of the aasimar followed them to the outer planes, were they continue to fight to this day.

With the threat gone the remaining aasimar were accepted by the populace as the new royal class of the empire. They acted as nobels do and bred with other nobels in arranged unions. Since there were still human mortals the Aasiamr bred with them, creating the weaker, human sized aasimar we know today.

Slowly but surly the original aasimar that were on the mortal plain died, leaving only there weaker decendants, and slowly people forgot about the origin of the aasimar.

However with the original aasimar gone the demons and devils went about doing evil on the mortal plaine, yet because of there feud and the realization that the old aasimar could come back from the planes they staid away from full invasion.

While the descendants of the aasimar were holy, they were much weaker than there ancestors. So when the forces of hell returned to earth many of them were easily corrupted. Because as everyone knows, holy and fiendish energies are opposite sides of the same coin. Two kinds of curoption happened, the first was the curroption of the soul; this left the aasiamr were their buetifull bodies yet gave them the twisted souls of devils and demons. The second was the curoption of the flesh, leaving them with human souls but twisting there bodies into demonic shapes, the result? Tieflings.

some clarrification, there are still a few original aasimar on the plane of earth, and by a few a mean 4. Also the original aasimar still flourish on the outer planes. Anyone that drinks true aasimar blood becomes a true aasimar
    Last edited by Rfkannen; 2014-10-12 at 06:41 PM.
    If you want to see some art here is my instagram https://www.instagram.com/rfkannen/

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: On the origin of tieflings.

Good writing ! I'd like to know more about the social aspect, how this Aasimar nobility works as a political and social system - it seems to me that it would be quite different from what we've had here on Earth, with aristocrats often being noble in name only. However, I also feel that the Aasimar nobles would be somewhat distrusted by human nobility and simple folk, just for being not completely human beings pursuing supposedly non-human goals and having different thought patterns. That reminds me of one of my old ideas, concerning descendants of genetically engineered humans as nobility in a setting resembling 8th century Eurasia (with world powers akin to sophisticated Tang dynasty China, warlike pre-Buddhist Tibet, nomadic Turks (Turkuts) from the Great Steppes, Byzantium Empire, decadent magocratic Persia etc.)

One notion: being so powerful and incorruptible, wouldn't such creatures (at least a small part of them) try not to "water-down" their lines by breeding with mere mortals, but rather save it as "pure" as it is possible (maybe leading to even more catastrophic results due to inbreeding, however) ?
    Last edited by D2R; 2014-10-13 at 03:28 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3

If true aasimar are incorruptible and their descendants aren't, why isn't it a common practice for the ruling classes to become true aasimar? It would ensure the power of their family lines, and keep the risk of infernal corruption at bay.
    I have decided I no longer like my old signature, so from now on, the alphorn-wielding lobster yodeler in my profile pic shall be presented without elaboration.

4. - Top - End - #4

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by D2R View Post
    Good writing ! I'd like to know more about the social aspect, how this Aasimar nobility works as a political and social system - it seems to me that it would be quite different from what we've had here on Earth, with aristocrats often being noble in name only. However, I also feel that the Aasimar nobles would be somewhat distrusted by human nobility and simple folk, just for being not completely human beings pursuing supposedly non-human goals and having different thought patterns. That reminds me of one of my old ideas, concerning descendants of genetically engineered humans as nobility in a setting resembling 8th century Eurasia (with world powers akin to sophisticated Tang dynasty China, warlike pre-Buddhist Tibet, nomadic Turks (Turkuts) from the Great Steppes, Byzantium Empire, decadent magocratic Persia etc.)

One notion: being so powerful and incorruptible, wouldn't such creatures (at least a small part of them) try not to "water-down" their lines by breeding with mere mortals, but rather save it as "pure" as it is possible (maybe leading to even more catastrophic results due to inbreeding, however) ?
    Yeah good ideas on them being slightly alien, that would help flesh it out. I am not sure about why they would water down the bloodline, I am thinking maby they get a bit weaker with each generation, and in the outer planes the aasimar prince's blood is used to make new ones?

Quote Originally Posted by Everyl View Post
    If true aasimar are incorruptible and their descendants aren't, why isn't it a common practice for the ruling classes to become true aasimar? It would ensure the power of their family lines, and keep the risk of infernal corruption at bay.
    Yeah this is a problem that I cannot think of an awnser to, I did them not doing this because I wanted an army of true aasimar in other planes, but only a few of them on the material plane acting as bosses. Also I don't they would know that part aasimar would be vulnerable to corruption.
    If you want to see some art here is my instagram https://www.instagram.com/rfkannen/

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

True Assimars cannot breed with one another. They can mate, but have no children from doing so. Something in their genetic code was broken during their merger with godhood, and only the intact original genetic code can correct this deficiency in their offspring.

Similarly, two half-blood Assimars cannot breed true, producing sterile mule offspring which are larger and stronger, but lacking in the ability to procreate at all, even with humans. Half-bloods have a tendency to desire power and conflict, which they cannot find on the mortal planes. After a short time, if there are no conflicts to keep their attention, they find themselves drawn to the outer planes where they become what they feel they were truly meant to be: warriors against the dark powers eternally fighting along the borders of the various lower planes.

The blood of Assimars is poisonous to Vampires, as is any level-drain attack by various undead or infernal beings. Every level drained drains a level from the attacker as well, and if a vampire consumes enough blood to create a vampire spawn of the Assimar, he instead kills himself as well as the victim, with neither able to recover from the attack short of a raise dead spell. (Of course, the raised vampire won't be a vampire any more...)

As the Assimar gets genetically farther from the original Assimar who gained his status via drinking the blood of a True Assimar this becomes less of an issue. Two Assimars whose grandparents were True Assimars can breed without making a mule, but if inbreeding concentrates the Assimar Blood it also increases the risk of sterile mule offspring.

The social stigma against marrying between Assimars is high, especially in places where an hereditary nobility exists. Some nations require all of the most noble families to wed outside the nobility, with the higher ranks being required to marry ever lower castes. Thus an emperor would be required to marry a serf, a prince to marry a commoner, a duke to marry a craftsman, etc. This is to insure the Assimars remain rooted in the real world's daily issues rather than become absorbed in the Great War going on in the outer planes as well as to insure the genetic stability of the noble lines.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Extrapolate the above to apply in reverse to Tieflings as well. Vampires who drink Tiefling Blood are strengthened, (max HP per HD, +1 saves, or similar ideas apply,) and they are immune to level drain attacks via negative energy.

Inbreeding of Tieflings is treated similarly, with sterile mules being sought out by the devils and demons for their power and ferocity, and their submissive nature which makes them excellent slaves. Some demon princes, daemon aristocrats, or devil lords actually force inbreeding upon Teiflings under their command so that more sterile mules result. This has the (un)fortunate side effect of limiting tieflings from breeding all over the human lands and flooding the world with infernal spawn, but Assimars band together to wipe them out when a coven off Tieflings is discovered anyway.

7. - Top - End - #7

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    True Assimars cannot breed with one another. They can mate, but have no children from doing so. Something in their genetic code was broken during their merger with godhood, and only the intact original genetic code can correct this deficiency in their offspring.

Similarly, two half-blood Assimars cannot breed true, producing sterile mule offspring which are larger and stronger, but lacking in the ability to procreate at all, even with humans. Half-bloods have a tendency to desire power and conflict, which they cannot find on the mortal planes. After a short time, if there are no conflicts to keep their attention, they find themselves drawn to the outer planes where they become what they feel they were truly meant to be: warriors against the dark powers eternally fighting along the borders of the various lower planes.

The blood of Assimars is poisonous to Vampires, as is any level-drain attack by various undead or infernal beings. Every level drained drains a level from the attacker as well, and if a vampire consumes enough blood to create a vampire spawn of the Assimar, he instead kills himself as well as the victim, with neither able to recover from the attack short of a raise dead spell. (Of course, the raised vampire won't be a vampire any more...)

As the Assimar gets genetically farther from the original Assimar who gained his status via drinking the blood of a True Assimar this becomes less of an issue. Two Assimars whose grandparents were True Assimars can breed without making a mule, but if inbreeding concentrates the Assimar Blood it also increases the risk of sterile mule offspring.

The social stigma against marrying between Assimars is high, especially in places where an hereditary nobility exists. Some nations require all of the most noble families to wed outside the nobility, with the higher ranks being required to marry ever lower castes. Thus an emperor would be required to marry a serf, a prince to marry a commoner, a duke to marry a craftsman, etc. This is to insure the Assimars remain rooted in the real world's daily issues rather than become absorbed in the Great War going on in the outer planes as well as to insure the genetic stability of the noble lines.
    Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    Extrapolate the above to apply in reverse to Tieflings as well. Vampires who drink Tiefling Blood are strengthened, (max HP per HD, +1 saves, or similar ideas apply,) and they are immune to level drain attacks via negative energy.

Inbreeding of Tieflings is treated similarly, with sterile mules being sought out by the devils and demons for their power and ferocity, and their submissive nature which makes them excellent slaves. Some demon princes, daemon aristocrats, or devil lords actually force inbreeding upon Teiflings under their command so that more sterile mules result. This has the (un)fortunate side effect of limiting tieflings from breeding all over the human lands and flooding the world with infernal spawn, but Assimars band together to wipe them out when a coven off Tieflings is discovered anyway.
    I like the ideas about the mules! I also like the ideas about vampires. Not sure if I am going to do the tiefling part of the vampire aspect, as they are a main playable race, But I am totaly useing that for aasimar!