New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: How would you design a new Zombie series?

You know what this conversation reminds me of? The anime Space Dandy, episode 4: "Sometimes You Can't Live with Dying, Baby". Priceless episode.

Spoiler: Episode in a nutshell (Spoilers)
    Show
    The cast capture an alien suffering from a zombie-like illness, which then bites Meow, one of the crew. Thinking he's sick, they send him to the hospital, where he infects the nurses and zombies overrun the place. Dandy makes it out to a helicopter only to be bitten by an infected pilot. There are some antics about zombies trying to cash in on their life insurance policies, but the basic gist of it is that the plague continues until the entire galaxy (including machines) is infected, creating a peace where the undead just kinda chill.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post

So? If everybody kills two zombies and gets bit, you have a declining number of infected people that rapidly dies out. "but there's a LOT of them" only gets you so far.

Sure, the swarm scenario is scary to the dude facing it, but it doesn't pose an existential threat to society. It's a simple matter of infection rate. A zombie has to, on average, pass the infection on to MORE than one person before dying for the number of zombies to increase.

The walking dead option gives you a way to skew it in the zombie's favor some. I think it's not a HUGE deal, since precautions will normally be taken after it's learned, but it helps. Sprinters instead of shamblers somewhat helps. Adding some cosmic horror to it is glorious. Lovecraftian zombies are underrepresented, IMO. It also gives you a fun escalation so it isn't just "more zombies vs an increasingly genre aware(or unfathomably stupid) team"

Yeah, but that relies on everyone having a bat, everyone getting in at least two kills before going down, and come on, how likely is that? Chances are the way it will work is a massive surge of zombies turning all the sheep types and those caught off guard (I know I dont carry a bat with me everywhere just in case) While the survivors and those with skills in zombie killing regroup. Like I said, I dont see it ending the world, I just see it causing a fairly huge body count. Think about this. At this moment, a very large portion of the world is sound asleep and in no way ready for a world wide outbreak. How many doors and windows will be broken through and homes invaded before a real response can start? Those of us who are awake may be in even worse condition. Many of us are away from our homes, we are out in public with no walls to protect us, or inside packed places of business where chaos and zombies would spread super fast.

Keep in mind I am intentionally giving the zombies their best chance at winning, because its pretty much the only way they are a real threat. So im going with 28 Days Later super fast infection rates.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

I was thinking that the original problem is that the populace don't know what's causing the epidemic only that an event caused all these zombies and just as they think its over another batch appear bypassing the usual means of keeping them contained as what's left of the Government is trying to locate the source.

My idea was that the cloud of debris in New York spread the infection but no one was any the wiser as it was only when the first zombie was identified did they realise the ramification of what had happened by which people had moved out of the city and remained unidentified as infected until they died and rose again.

In London most of the blasts was underground so it was thought not as serious until the infection reached the water supply and spread rapidly since the water purification didn't work against the infection.

I'm fond of Shaun of the Dead and black comedies so immediately thought what if the zombies do retain some of their previous life and how that would warp their personality and attitudes and then wondered what if they won control of the major cities leaving the smaller settlements alone so they have potential new food sources and a means of keeping their new society intact and "healthy" ultimately making this a lot more dangerous as we have regular people having to use their wits against a warped form of zombie using the current day celebrity mania to make them both more monstrous and interesting as their personality quirks make each one unique and memorable.

I also like the idea that the epidemic was released deliberately but wasn't properly understood when they did so, making it more interesting by making it act differently when you look at what happened in the other parts of the world.

For example they freeze in cold temperatures but don't actually die unless they're destroyed before they thaw out and when burnt the epidemic actually proliferates making it even more contagious so just burning them in furnaces doesn't help but I do prefer they keep some frailties such as they drown when stuck underwater and when they decompose maybe eaten by fish the virus can't be transferred if the fish is caught and eaten although coming into contact with plantlife that's been coated with the virus can pass it on I figure animals can actually sense it so avoid it and react badly enough that given enough time people will notice their behaviour.

Lord I still remember that Walking Dead first episode and the horse and the kid... oh dear!

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

For once I'd like to see a zombie apocalypse from the beginning. Only the novel World War Z did it. The Resident Evil movies series sort of did. We do get the initial exposure, yay, but we only get snippets when Racoon City is infected before it becomes typical zombiefest.

Season 1

We see our main group living their normal lives, separately and not knowing each other, except perhaps two or three. We learn who they are and hopefully start to care about them. Meanwhile, a small outbreak happens. The government keeps the details secret. We are introduced to more people, some who will become villains, others prominently shown zombies in later episodes.

The outbreak spreads and word leaks out in the press. The first signs of panic start. Some of the people we met don't believe the hype. Others start to prepare. We see the military attempt to stop the zombies, but the outbreak is really all over and numerous.

Panic. The secret is out for good. Everyone knows. The people of our main group are actively affected. Loved ones and friends die and turn. Chaos in the cities. Defense perimeters are set up and fall. Sanctuaries form and fall. Villains start to get a hold of their power. Blood. Gore. Mayhem. Chomp, chomp, chomp. The Group forms. The undead will indeed be called "zombies" every time all the time.

Season 2

Typical zombie apocalypse story we all know. Places shown in first season are seen again. When we see abandoned police cars or military tanks, we saw and know how they got there and what happened. Prominently shown zombies of people we saw first season appear. However, this Group is different from all other Groups we have seen before.

1) Anyone who refuses to stick to the Plan are immediately kicked out. Goodbye to The Stupid.

2) Anyone who is uncooperative and manipulative are killed outright instead of exiled only to come back later in a more threatening position. Goodbye to The Jerk.

3) When a Sanctuary is found, the Group investigates. Those in charge are thoroughly studied. The Group will refuse to enter any Sanctuary that demands they turn over or drop their weapons. They will just move on. Never get involved with The Evil Leader of the Safe Haven Community. Some villains are killed.

4) The Group eventually forms their own Sanctuary. New people can join but must prove themselves not to be a Stupid, Jerk, or wannabe Evil Leader. Any hint, immediately killed.

Season 3

We are introduced to people we never met before, perhaps a glorified extra or two from Season 1. They are working on a Cure. It will be a vaccine that prevents people from becoming zombies even if killed and a tactic for killing the zombies. We see them develop it. We see them test it. We see them take the action. As they confront the zombies, they eventually run into some villains of Season 2, Evil Leaders of Safe Haven Communities who like their power and don't want a Cure. They are dispensed with. End of the season they reach and rescue The Group.

Season 4

Each episode shows how other countries dealt with the zombie apocalypse.

Season 5

Aftermath. With the zombies eradicated and no risk of reinfection, we see the world begin to rebuild. It's not so rosy but not so miserable either. All previous governments collapsed, so new nations take form. The Group leads one of them. One villain escaped death and forms another. Unfortunately, he has access to nuclear weapons. He will use them. The beloved Group Leader goes to the Villain country to surrender. It's a fake out. The Group Leader shoots the villain with an anti-cure cure vaccine. Villain becomes a zombie.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    ... However, this Group is different from all other Groups we have seen before.

1) Anyone who refuses to stick to the Plan are immediately kicked out. Goodbye to The Stupid.

2) Anyone who is uncooperative and manipulative are killed outright instead of exiled only to come back later in a more threatening position. Goodbye to The Jerk.

3) When a Sanctuary is found, the Group investigates. Those in charge are thoroughly studied. The Group will refuse to enter any Sanctuary that demands they turn over or drop their weapons. They will just move on. Never get involved with The Evil Leader of the Safe Haven Community. Some villains are killed.

4) The Group eventually forms their own Sanctuary. New people can join but must prove themselves not to be a Stupid, Jerk, or wannabe Evil Leader. Any hint, immediately killed.
    Only room for one Evil Leader in the group, is there?

6. - Top - End - #66

Quote Originally Posted by BeerMug Paladin View Post
    We prefer the term "Efficient Leader with Alternative Morality".
    Resident Vancian Apologist

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

Too few people in this thread have read I am Legend.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Too few people in this thread have read I am Legend.
    Need we remind you what happened last time they made an audio-visual adaptation of that?

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

For once I'd like to see a zombie apocalypse from the beginning. Only the novel World War Z did it. The Resident Evil movies series sort of did. We do get the initial exposure, yay, but we only get snippets when Racoon City is infected before it becomes typical zombiefest.
    This would be interesting. What kind of zombies are we talking about, to avoid some of the nonsenses of WWZ?
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Yeah, but that relies on everyone having a bat, everyone getting in at least two kills before going down, and come on, how likely is that? Chances are the way it will work is a massive surge of zombies turning all the sheep types and those caught off guard (I know I dont carry a bat with me everywhere just in case) While the survivors and those with skills in zombie killing regroup. Like I said, I dont see it ending the world, I just see it causing a fairly huge body count. Think about this. At this moment, a very large portion of the world is sound asleep and in no way ready for a world wide outbreak. How many doors and windows will be broken through and homes invaded before a real response can start? Those of us who are awake may be in even worse condition. Many of us are away from our homes, we are out in public with no walls to protect us, or inside packed places of business where chaos and zombies would spread super fast.

Keep in mind I am intentionally giving the zombies their best chance at winning, because its pretty much the only way they are a real threat. So im going with 28 Days Later super fast infection rates.
    If they're swarming, they're...still moving at walking speed. Walkin' even to the next town over ain't instant. Super fast conversion rates gets you a fast growing swarm in one area, but it also means there's essentially no time for it to spread unobserved.

Television, internet, radio, and even news from people driving will all be faster than walking zombies.

But playing up the panic aspect would be fun. Yknow, no vehicle handily sitting there for the heros to grab, with the keys already in the ignition, because seriously...plot convenience. Mobs having some importance beyond random brief backround scenes, maybe. Actual difficulties, rather than "oh god, we're stupid and in a horror movie" difficulties.

11. - Top - End - #71

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    Need we remind you what happened last time they made an audio-visual adaptation of that?
    I Am Missing The Entire Point

fun movie, but given the source material...ugh.

12. - Top - End - #72

MonkGuy

Because I've seen vampires and werewolves and vampires and zombies, but never werewolves and zombies.
    Funnily enough, you've just reminded me of a dream I had a few years ago where I was caught up in a zombie outbreak. I got bitten by a zombie - so went out to find some werewolves to bite me, because the werewolf infliction would override the zombie infliction, and being a werewolf would be preferable.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually, my joke about a ZombieApp makes me wonder if you could attempt to simulate a zombie outbreak with a phone app. I don't know the limits of inter-smartphone communication, but there may be a security hole to exploit, or Apple could do it.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    This would be interesting. What kind of zombies are we talking about, to avoid some of the nonsenses of WWZ?
    Are you talking about the movie or the book? Because I need to point out that the movie had very little in common with the book.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

Id planet-of-the-apes it.
    Make it all about the zombies who have won the war and anyhilated humans eradicating them.
    I'd have different strains and types of zombies form factions, the smarter ones trying to rebuild some semblance of society, if only to better eat the dumber ones. Different strains equal different Physiology, intellect, speed, regenerating factor, diet, purpose and so on. I'd have the smartest try and identify different types, the shambling omes being used as packmules, occasional food source, free labour.. And so on
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    Id planet-of-the-apes it.
    Make it all about the zombies who have won the war and anyhilated humans eradicating them.
    I'd have different strains and types of zombies form factions, the smarter ones trying to rebuild some semblance of society, if only to better eat the dumber ones. Different strains equal different Physiology, intellect, speed, regenerating factor, diet, purpose and so on. I'd have the smartest try and identify different types, the shambling omes being used as packmules, occasional food source, free labour.. And so on
    How would they reproduce?

17. - Top - End - #77

Quote Originally Posted by Grinner View Post
    How would they reproduce?
    They wouldnt, its a black series where the knowledge that these zombies are ultimately doomed no matter what, hangs over them like a cloud of stench.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

Or some might learn to/retain the ability to, or some strands become immortal not just in the "can't put them down" sense but also in the "somehow their bodies don't completely fall apart after a while, ignoring the laws of science saying they really should" sense.. So they simply don't care .. Or maybe the problem of eventual extinction and finding a means to reproduce is a problem only some elements of the brighter zombies sense, sheer numbers of zombies around still giving plenty of plot and episodes to tell before it actually becomes an issue.
    Even the ability to use spoken language, or lack thereof and development of a grunting comunication...and some sense of society/pecking order could become a matter of distinction between species/strains.. The evolution of new segregated or integrated comunities becoming a topic too.
    Last edited by dehro; 2014-10-16 at 08:09 PM.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #79

I was actually talking more about the inability to reproduce. Being immortal just increases the chance that you will eventually be permanently immobilized to 100%. Little zombie timmy fell down a well and cant get up! Darn these mine shafts and cave ins! Oh no! A tree fell on me and shattered everything in my body leaving me trapped! Basically, eventually something will happen to whittle down the numbers. Thats ignoring wars between varying tribes and the losses incurred with that.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BeerMug Paladin View Post

You can still be Rick, Michonne, or Daryl without putting up with Shane, Governor, Bob, or Tyreese.

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    They move slow.
    They don't care if you're sick.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I was actually talking more about the inability to reproduce. Being immortal just increases the chance that you will eventually be permanently immobilized to 100%. Little zombie timmy fell down a well and cant get up! Darn these mine shafts and cave ins! Oh no! A tree fell on me and shattered everything in my body leaving me trapped! Basically, eventually something will happen to whittle down the numbers. Thats ignoring wars between varying tribes and the losses incurred with that.
    I know what you meant.. my objection to this is that it's not supposed to work.. it's a tv show and as such will be at best a finite number of seasons long... factor in the millions of individual zombies you could tell the story off and the hunderds of attemts at building something or .. not just drool after brains, that could occur, and you get a wealth of things to show and talk about that should fill the show's plotlines to capacity, well before the numbers of zombies start dropping on account of accidents, cave-ins, explosions or other means of unnatural death/incapacitation. by the end of the show they can either "find a cure to zombie sterility", find a magic thingamabob that will allow them to endure or heal even the unhealable, find a way to return human and mortal, or simply walk into the night knowing that they're all doomed to, one day, end up trapped under a fallen tree.

have fast zombies become bandits and/or reavers (pirate zombies!!), or runners for more civilised zombie aggregations, have stronger zombies become fighters, enforcers, bullies.. have smarter zombies try to lead, study, make profit, gain some comfort, find ways to turn zombietude in an advantage over their fellow zombies, have mystically endowed zombies become lich lords.. really, once you start mixing up the zombie variations or develop how they might find some sort of balance and organise themselves beyond the trivial eat anything you can catch, the directions a show can go in are infinite. some zombies would become "augmented humans", somehow redefining morality as they are forced to feed on lesser zombies and fight the frenzy urges that come with being a zombie, others might go nuts and embrace the more violent aspects but still in a socially recognisable manner, others might just become full blown predator zombies, popping up randomly to eat one or the other main character until they're put down.. others might just be followers of a large troop of standard fare zombies, but retaining a glimmer of humanity, maybe fighting to defend a former love interest or a child, or maybe looking to find new ways to comunicate something beyond "braaaainns".

all of this may well be ultimately doomed to failure of course.
    Last edited by dehro; 2014-10-17 at 02:59 AM.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

They don't care if you're sick.
    Nah, I was talking about the book.
    The movie... gah. The part "you're sick, so you're fine" it's absolutely ridiculous and unsalvageable.
    Last edited by Killer Angel; 2014-10-17 at 07:04 AM.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.