http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0421.html

I suppose we're not supposed to ask...

2. - Top - End - #152
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #427 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Horned View Post
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0421.html

I suppose we're not supposed to ask...
    Actually, it was in comic http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0135.html.

EDIT: oh, this was a old question and allready answered. Well.. let this be a correction to Horneds misinformation.

EDIT#2: just to say how great these comics are. Since I've not said it for a while
    Last edited by Hart av Srednak; 2007-03-17 at 07:42 AM.

Hart av Srednak

.....................?

Spoiler
    Show
    There are three steps to everything,
    three steps to death, three steps to life,
    watch your steps, count:
    one, two, three

*PS pardon my ennglish*

3. - Top - End - #153
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hart av Srednak View Post
    Actually, it was in comic http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0135.html.

EDIT: oh, this was a old question and allready answered. Well.. let this be a correction to Horneds misinformation.
    Which just goes to show the awesomeness of this comic. I'd have forgotten all about those potions were the writer, good thing I'm not. lol

Re Strategic Mistake (from Warmachine) if the Hobos do withdraw 13 big fellas with a lot of reach could pursue (although they would become huge targets to the archers) for the duration of the spell, potentially kicking a lot of ass.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pendrake40 View Post
    I think it is safe to say that Vaarsuvius is at least 13th level by the Mass "buff" spells.

What really impresses me about Vaarsuvius (and Burlew's quality of writing ) is how higher level magic-users can make the most of the their wider range of spells rather than just relying on their highest spell-level and most powerful.

As a minor note/question, which Bigby's "Hand" spell is he using to shore up the wall?
    It may even be Mage Hand.
    Awesome Avatar by Shattersnap.

Spoiler
    Show

Many thanks to El Goonish Shive for the banner image.

Give a player a fish, and he’ll probably try to sell it to an NPC fisherman.

Teach a player to fish, and next week he’ll show up with the book, “The Complete Adventuring Fisherman”. He’ll start hunting for some monstrous leviathan to catch and enslave, and he’ll be dual-wielding two fishing poles.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by okpokalypse View Post
    If it's just a regular Dispel Magic, it's only got a 35% chance of dropping any effect from a CL 13 Caster. And since it'd have to be an area dispel, it can only Dispel 1 Spell per Target in the Area.
    I already addressed this, actually (on page 3).
    The odds of a Dispel Magic dropping any one Enlarge Person is about 15% considering two L6 Spells (Bear's, Bull's) and L4 Spell (Enlarge). By the Spells description, it affects higher-level spells first.
    Area Dispel hits spells with the highest caster level first, not the highest spell level. That means the Heroism effects are fairly safe, but there's a 1/3 chance of going after any of V's spells first.

From the SRD:
    Area Dispel: When dispel magic is used in this way, the spell affects everything within a 20-foot radius.
    For each creature within the area that is the subject of one or more spells, you make a dispel check against the spell with the highest caster level. If that check fails, you make dispel checks against progressively weaker spells until you dispel one spell (which discharges the dispel magic spell so far as that target is concerned) or until you fail all your checks. The creature's magic items are not affected.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Bugbear in the Playground

It seems V is at his/her best in a war, rather than when adventuring in a band of misfits.

7. - Top - End - #157

RedWizardGuy

Yeah! Buff'n Bash! Wizard Power!
    Just watch out for nasty dispels/debuffs

8. - Top - End - #158
    Orc in the Playground

More Vaarsuvius! Yes! And it seems like he's learning, too; he knows that his explanations take longer than his plans!
    Yup.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rebarth View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's not Xykon. Why? Because that one is carrying a sword
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yup. I think that one could be this Hobgoblin (Panel 4 and onward) using some sort of Disguise: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0190.html .

10. - Top - End - #160

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by warmachine View Post
    Alas, Vaarsuvius is making the strategic mistake of burning too many high level spells too quickly that can be countered by mundane techniques: withdrawing and waiting for the buffs to expire. The buffs last one minute per caster level, so will only last thirteen minutes. This forces the hobgoblins to retreat through archery fire and approach again through archery fire but it's better than facing buffed fighters. Attrition and time wasting favours the humans but Vaarsuvius can't keep this trick going for an hour, let alone all day.

This leaves the question whether the hobgoblins have the brains to do this. Sadly, they do. They are not thick like orcs and their society is organised around the military. They'll have officers who've studied tactics in war college and whose job is to stand back and think about what's going on. In a world where magic is commonplace, spell effects will be well known. The officer in charge will see the enlarged humans and know such effects have limited duration.
    you're forgetting that those hobgoblins have xykon and redcloak in theyre backs, both of whom will kill them instantly when they start to retreat

11. - Top - End - #161
    Pixie in the Playground

Just realised that one of the Hobgoblins is skewered and still alive looking quite stressed. :D
    Go that tough HobGoblin!

12. - Top - End - #162
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rebarth View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's not Xykon. Why? Because that one is carrying a sword
    Spoiler
    Show
    And because he's on a zombie dragon flying in from the mountains. #300

13. - Top - End - #163
    Orc in the Playground

I'm so sad! I can't see the comic. can someone post the picture please?
    So I can die in peace?

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #164
    Pixie in the Playground

And for V's next trick:
    Spoiler
    Show
    A readied antimagic field for when an enemy spellcaster brings out the greater dispel magic. Bonuses suppressed, but not dispellable. Move away (bonuses pop back) and ready a move back into range for if they try again.
    Okay, probably not, but I'd be real impressed if V stepped up like that.
    withdrawing and waiting for the buffs to expire.
    If a portion of the forces do that, it's a actually good thing as a siegebreaking technique to stagger their forces like that. And even a momentary full withdrawal is going to have its own logistical issues in coordination and provide a liability for the sieging forces.
    Last edited by bitnine; 2007-03-17 at 09:20 AM.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

BOOYAH! That's all I can say to today's strip. BOOYAH!

Gooo, V!

And once again we demonstrate the difference between a wargame and D&D! I wonder what the wargamers like Gygax who originally made D&D thought of that ...

Respectfully,

Brian P.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Pixie in the Playground

Wow, V rocked there :)
    he really is stealing the thunder from the other members of the group. although I want to see Roy do some great cleaving :)

17. - Top - End - #167
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

I love V, s/he's so arrogant, but deserves it so much.

Great comic Giant.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by okpokalypse View Post
    Personally, I think Clerics are even better suited to this than Wizards are . I'd love to see what Durkon can do, other than the same old Thor's Might. If he's L13 as well, he could be ripping entire chunks of the Army apart with Holy Word, or Immobilizing it with a Control Weather. And he should very well kill the Lich in 2 shots with Bolt of Glory (L6 Spell: 13d12 Damage - No Save) x2.
    I don't think Bolt of Glory is an option. Strip #32 made it pretty clear that Rich will only be using stuff out of the SRD, and stuff he makes up himself.
    Head sous-chef for House Kato

19. - Top - End - #169
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Hehehe, that is so true what V. said about his explanations. Loved it all :)

20. - Top - End - #170
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elftist View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    V is almost too awesome. I'm worried she's going to get killed. That would be the worst thing ever.
    Spoiler
    Show
    In a world with Raise Dead, you're worried about V dieing? It would be an inconvenience to lose a level, sure, but (as Belkar said in #286), Durkon can it like three times a day (which is another indication that the party is APL 12 or 14).

OTOH, the good Mr. Burlew may use Reincarnate instead, just for the comedic effect of turning V into something other than an elf.
    Aelfwyn Trondheim from the Iron Cauldron campaign
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatar by me in SP-Studio, with help from The GIMP and Inkscape.

~~~~
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Webwalker View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yup. I think that one could be this Hobgoblin (Panel 4 and onward) using some sort of Disguise: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0190.html .
    Spoiler
    Show
    None of them are Xykon. Maybe the one still standing by redcloak, but I'm not even sure if he is.
    Because: Xykon's not wearing any kind of amulet usually. Those are used by clerics (as redcloak is one) so i think all three Xykons shown are decoys.

And the one walking in the southern division is apparently the "Xykon" shown already in this strip:
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0422.html
    Which explains why that one looks so fearful (undead are as far as i know immune to fear) and shows no authority over Redcloak.

Pretty easy, isnt it?

22. - Top - End - #172
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kilbia View Post
    I don't think Bolt of Glory is an option. Strip #32 made it pretty clear that Rich will only be using stuff out of the SRD, and stuff he makes up himself.
    Actually, we have mention of Oriental Adventures stuff (between the Samurai class and the Master Samurai Class and those weird undead things), FF6 game mechanics were used by people native to the world, and Zz'dtri was copyright infringing for a good 21 strips before he was dragged away (there was a 22 strip gap between his first appearance and his last, but his first appearance did not have him do anything to warrant copyright infringement). The Giant does what he thinks is funny (and the majority of us will agree with him on that).
    Last edited by MReav; 2007-03-17 at 10:06 AM.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Pixie in the Playground

Totally awesome! I'm loving this battle.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nightclaws View Post
    Really good comic, I didn't expect that, I thought they were gonna push the wall over onto the hobgoblins :D

It would have been funnier if you had Xykon's face at the end, Scared face,
    "Unholy Crap"
    Except, why would Xykon be scared of a low level spell?

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ettin in the Playground

Now to nitpick the mechanics (note that I don't really care, this is just fun.)

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Enlarge Person, Mass
    Transmutation
    Level: Sor/Wiz 4
    Target: One humanoid creature/level, no two of which can be more than 30 ft. apart
    13 soldiers, standing abreast in their own 5' square, are 65' apart at the ends. It's drawn wrong! They'd need to be in three rows...
    Last edited by Talya; 2007-03-17 at 10:28 AM.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Barbarian in the Playground

So the commander isn't impressed by the effects of 2nd and 3rd level spells (Bull's Strength, Bear's Endurance and Heroism) but a simple 1st level spell (Enlarge Person) does the trick? :P

(Yes, I know the spells cast were the "Mass" versions, but that doesn't really change the effect from the point of view from a single target)

Apart from this small piece of whining, it was another great comic!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Linker View Post
    Soepvork? Bang freakin' on. A cookie must be doled out, though I fear its chocolate chip-deliciously-infected substance is far too lacking of grandeur to be a prize of the appropriate scale.

So you get two cookies.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Talya View Post
    Now to nitpick the mechanics (note that I don't really care, this is just fun.)

13 soldiers, standing abreast in their own 5' square, are 65' apart at the ends. It's drawn wrong! They'd need to be in three rows...
    Maybe theyre not using the square system.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deathmachine View Post
    you're forgetting that those hobgoblins have xykon and redcloak in theyre backs, both of whom will kill them instantly when they start to retreat
    Xykon and Redcloak are well out of shouting range and, indeed, most weapon and spell ranges. It is the officer on location who is in charge of the task force and he gives the orders. This assumes, of course, an army with an officer command structure. Considering hobgoblins form an organised, military society, it's a safe bet. Also, assuming the officers haven't been purged in Stalinesque fashion but seeing the general is still alive and troop morale isn't shot to hell, I'm going with the officers still being alive.

Besides, I suspect Redcloak is in charge of the entire battle, rather than Xykon and, though he hates hobgoblins, is patient and levelheaded enough not to pointlessly waste troops. Better to have half a task force than no task force. Neither does he rebuke subordinates who talk back to him.

Mind you, if the gung ho Xykon is in charge, he may think that a determined push will result in fewer casualties than a withdraw and re-attack. Even trained officers can make really dumb decisions, let alone amateurs. However, without accurate intelligence, one cannot rely on this and burning lots of high level spells on the small chance the enemy officer is a gung ho twit is stupid.

It seems more likely that V is going for the morale boost, which will buff more soldiers for longer than his spells and potions ever will. Very clever.
    Matthew Greet
    My purpose in life is to play games.

29. - Top - End - #179

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by MReav View Post
    I'm thinking these troops have Great Cleave.
    Being 5th level (probably Warriors) and Human, they'd have 3 feats. I'm betting they'd have something along the line of Power Attack, Cleave, and Great Cleave - good general choices for combat, and especially good for people using two-handed weapons with reach. Doubly so when you've got comparatively high base attack, bull's strength, and heroism.

Alternately, they may have Combat Reflexes instead of Great Cleave, which'd also be useful for defending with reach, but if they've only got general NPC Warrior stats, there's a good chance their Dex isn't high enough for the extra one or two AoO to be worth it.

Of course, that's discounting a whole wealth of feats from non-core books, but that way lies madness.

Without breaking down the likely stats of the guards, I'm thinking they've got that breach covered. At least, for the next 13 minutes, until V's spells wear off.

30. - Top - End - #180

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Tanhauser View Post
    Wow, you'd think as useful as a 13 level wizard is, AC would have had one of their own, weren't all their wizards lower level? Or was the drunk who got et by the roc higher? Sure didn't act like it.
    Well, he was definitely at least 9th level (to cast Teleport), so he was no wizard to scoff at. Which is exactly why he was so frustrated at being ignored as "just an NPC", I'd assume.

I'm sure there are lots of low level wizards/sorcerers and clerics amongst the crowd. But when you've only got a handful of spells a day, a massive war means you go through your usefulness pretty fast.