Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Equestria World: Applejack's Infrastructure Adventures (UPDATE: First playtest)

Playtest document

It is time. It is happening. I am starting on my path to create my very own Apocalypse World hack based on my favourite pastel horses. It's going to be the game that I've always wanted to play but no one else will run.

So let's start with the basics. First, the agenda. Then, the moves. Then, the principles. Then maybe the playbooks. Why the moves second? Because the basic moves define the entire shape of the game through their presence or absence.

AGENDA:
    - Focus on the little things
    - Plant seeds and watch them grow
    - Play to find out what happens

And here's the very first move:

Ask Your Friends For Help

When you ask your friends for help, roll +Honesty

On a 10+ you clearly explain your problem to them and accept their help if they offer it.
    On a 7-9 choose one:
    - You can bring yourself to explain the problem out loud
    - You can accept their help when they offer it

There it is, that's the move that underpins so many episodes of Friendship is Magic and creates such simple, sweet, interpersonal drama. It's the move that turns small things into big things. It's the foundation of this entire system and everything's going to build from there. I'm really proud of it.

Discussion is welcome, I'm literally making this up as I go.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2016-01-06 at 01:26 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: Equestria World: Applejack's Infrastructure Adventures

and subscribed.

Rolling +Honesty lets you explain a problem and ask for help. Requiring a roll implies this shape of not being able to be open without the roll.
    Can you explain problems without rolling +Honesty?
    If you start to explain your problems, is that retroactively +Honesty roll?

Questions aside that's beautiful. That really is the heart of things.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    and subscribed.

Rolling +Honesty lets you explain a problem and ask for help. Requiring a roll implies this shape of not being able to be open without the roll.
    Can you explain problems without rolling +Honesty?
    If you start to explain your problems, is that retroactively +Honesty roll?
    You can explain problems but you can't explain your problems, the things you personally need help with. If you start to explain your problems and then fail the roll it could turn into 'And that's what Applejack would have said if pride hadn't gotten the better of her in that moment'.

The execution is a little tricky. It's not as elegant as some AW moves where you make the threat, and then roll the dice for Go Aggro. It's something that players have to consider a little bit more/buy into before they make the action or the MC has to be on point about asking. I wonder if I can refine that somehow.

E: Though I suppose it's not that different from Monster Heart's Share Your Pain.

Questions aside that's beautiful. That really is the heart of things.
    Thank you!
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2014-10-15 at 05:40 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Would it be good to ponder which attributes there are (and how they build into moves) or which other moves there are (and what common traits they break down to)? I think you've got a choice between going full Elements of Harmony, or picking appropriate overlapping traits, and there are merits to both.

That's all I have for a while. Now I play the waiting game.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It is time. It is happening. I am starting on my path to create my very own Apocalypse World hack based on my favourite pastel horses. It's going to be the game that I've always wanted to play but no one else will run.

So let's start with the basics. First, the agenda. Then, the moves. Then, the principles. Then maybe the playbooks. Why the moves second? Because the basic moves define the entire shape of the game through their presence or absence.

AGENDA:
    - Focus on the little things
    - Plant seeds and watch them grow
    - Play to find out what happens

And here's the very first move:

Ask Your Friends For Help

When you ask your friends for help, roll +Honesty

On a 10+ you clearly explain your problem to them.
    On a 7-9 choose one:
    - You can bring yourself to explain the problem out loud
    - You can accept their help when they offer it

There it is, that's the move that underpins so many episodes of Friendship is Magic and creates such simple, sweet, interpersonal drama. It's the move that turns small things into big things. It's the foundation of this entire system and everything's going to build from there. I'm really proud of it.

Discussion is welcome, I'm literally making this up as I go.
    Hmm. Interesting concept, though I'm not sure that it matches Apocalypse World's game design.

As I understand it, Apocalypse World is designed so that all active power is in the hands of the PCs. By that, I mean that the motive force is all in the PC's camp. NPCs do not Go Aggro or Seduce and Manipulate. They might attack, or try to bargain for more, but all the power lies with the person making the move.

The Master of Ceremonies, on the other hand, is mostly reactive. There might be outside forces moving in the background, but the MoC usually moves on a failed roll by the PCs to Activate Weaknesses in Your Stuff, or Predict Future Badness, etc. Apocalypse World is all about the PCs, what they choose to do, how they do it, and what the world does in response.

As such, I feel that a move where you are literally rolling to figure out whether you can even open your mouth is contrary to the AW philosophy. It doesn't empower the PCs. It takes away an ability--to open your mouth, to decide to accept someone's help--and then masquerades as generously giving something that PCs should be able to do by default.

Further thoughts:
    -Very rarely in AW is the result of a move that you get what you want, no strings attached. Partial success usually involves "Yes, but..." consequences. Even full successes don't get you 100% what you want. Seize by Force successfully means that you can decimate somebody and take little damage, but there's still a chance you'll get hurt. Reading a Sitch, in addition to turning what might have otherwise been an innocuous scene into a charged situation, has a limited list of questions that can be answered.
    -Moves are designed to move a scene along. This seems more like it's designed to end a scene. It's the resolution of the episode, the moment where the central character realizes that what he or she is doing is causing problems. Usually, there's maybe two minutes left in the episode, where all that's left is to tie up the loose ends and write a Dear Princess Celestia.
    -How does this even work? On a 10+, I can explain clearly what the problem is, but it's not stated that I can accept their help. Does that require a second roll? Why?
    Last edited by Balmas; 2014-10-15 at 05:59 PM.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Those are good thoughts, but remember that this is a hack. Thanqol's statement of but-in is a resonant one. This is, in it's own way, a game of hubris. I could see just this one mechanic rolling around through Green is Not Your Color, [rarity wings episode], Applebuck Season, Sweet and Elite and a few others. The players then would make all the drama.

I suspect this is built as much on Monster Hearts as apocalypse world. You should check out monster hearts, Balmas!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh well ninja'd by Siuis there, but that was going to be my point to Balmas. Just because AW doesn't do it that way doesn't mean a game Powered By the Apocalypse can't. It gives a more optimistic tone too, if there are more moves that succeed completely on 10+.
    Devoted artificer of the church of Scorching Ray.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    Hmm. Interesting concept, though I'm not sure that it matches Apocalypse World's game design.

As I understand it, Apocalypse World is designed so that all active power is in the hands of the PCs. By that, I mean that the motive force is all in the PC's camp. NPCs do not Go Aggro or Seduce and Manipulate. They might attack, or try to bargain for more, but all the power lies with the person making the move.

The Master of Ceremonies, on the other hand, is mostly reactive. There might be outside forces moving in the background, but the MoC usually moves on a failed roll by the PCs to Activate Weaknesses in Your Stuff, or Predict Future Badness, etc. Apocalypse World is all about the PCs, what they choose to do, how they do it, and what the world does in response.

As such, I feel that a move where you are literally rolling to figure out whether you can even open your mouth is contrary to the AW philosophy. It doesn't empower the PCs. It takes away an ability--to open your mouth, to decide to accept someone's help--and then masquerades as generously giving something that PCs should be able to do by default.
    Yes but, I'm probably drawing more on Monster Hearts than AW in this situation. Monster Hearts is the AW system for petty teenage drama and it has moves like 'Hold Steady', where the consequence of success is 'you don't freak out'. Monster Hearts benefits hugely from this move because the move implies that from time to time teenagers will freak out because they're messy, uncontrolled sacks of emotions. It's odd in that it's a move primarily triggered by the MC, but it doesn't undermine the system or anything.

For AJA to work players need to be incentivised to create friendship drama. They can either be inspired to do it through something they can't do - like this move - or something they can do - like future moves. Monster Hearts also defines it's limits by staking out something teenagers can't do: Teenagers can't choose who they're sexually attracted to. It's a denial of what seems like a fundamental part of the player's decisions about their character but it's also the most profound statement the system makes.

Further thoughts:
    -Very rarely in AW is the result of a move that you get what you want, no strings attached. Partial success usually involves "Yes, but..." consequences. Even full successes don't get you 100% what you want. Seize by Force successfully means that you can decimate somebody and take little damage, but there's still a chance you'll get hurt. Reading a Sitch, in addition to turning what might have otherwise been an innocuous scene into a charged situation, has a limited list of questions that can be answered.
    It's the same principle here. Ask Your Friends turns what should be an innocuous, 'hey Twilight, help me buck these apples?' into a charged situation where, even if AJ can come out and say it, represents a significant investment for the character. We respect her more for overcoming her mental blocks and stubbornness.

The not get 100% of what you want thing is a good point but I'm also not sure if it's in genre for always partial failures.

-Moves are designed to move a scene along. This seems more like it's designed to end a scene. It's the resolution of the episode, the moment where the central character realizes that what he or she is doing is causing problems. Usually, there's maybe two minutes left in the episode, where all that's left is to tie up the loose ends and write a Dear Princess Celestia.
    This isn't designed for episodic format. It's, like, sometimes Applejack aces her Honesty roll, asks her friends for help, and beats the Flim Flam brothers. Other times she doesn't and winds up in Dodge Junction. It's all like one long arc of Applejack.

Also, just because you ask your friends for help doesn't say anything about what they do about that!

-How does this even work? On a 10+, I can explain clearly what the problem is, but it's not stated that I can accept their help. Does that require a second roll? Why?
    10+ is you can act freely here. Needs clarification.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

The move given could maybe use some work. While I like the concept, I think that it currently requires a bit more, hmmm, either metagaming from players than it should, or shuts the plotline down.
    10+: problem explained, and your friends and you can go and solve it together. Sunshine and Rainbows.
    7-9:1: ask for help successful, but implication being that you can't accept any help (from the other option). This seems like a false choice. You've asked your friends but won't accept help if it is offered. Why all of a sudden change your mind? What happens if they just help you anyways without your acceptance? Do you have to actively avoid it then? As it reads, it just sounds like instead of 6 ponies trying to buck all the apples, you just have 1+5 ponies bucking all the apples (since we're going with AJ here and friends decide to help)
    7-9:2: problem not explained, but you can accept help. Which is useless, since no pony knows you have a problem (unless they did, in which case you have to hope they can connect your sudden failure in communication or act on their own initiative (which means you never had to do the move in the first place)). As written, it cancels the trigger, which is hella weird.
    Miss: ? No GM moves/principles yet.

I really think I did a complete failure about explaining what I meant there with the move, but I'll post it anyways.
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2014-10-15 at 07:12 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Madcrafter View Post
    The move given could maybe use some work. While I like the concept, I think that it currently requires a bit more, hmmm, either metagaming from players than it should, or shuts the plotline down.
    10+: problem explained, and your friends and you can go and solve it together. Sunshine and Rainbows.
    7-9:1: ask for help successful, but implication being that you can't accept any help (from the other option). This seems like a false choice. You've asked your friends but won't accept help if it is offered. Why all of a sudden change your mind? What happens if they just help you anyways without your acceptance?
    Applebuck season. I.e. "I need to buck all these apples but I don't need no help doing it!" You're clear about what the problem is but you're also clear that it's your problem alone.

7-9:2: problem not explained, but you can accept help. Which is useless, since no pony knows you have a problem (unless they did, in which case you have to hope they can connect your sudden failure in communication or act on their own initiative (which means you never had to do the move in the first place)). As written, it cancels the trigger, which is hella weird.
    This is that you can't bring yourself to ask for help but you can accept help if offered. You don't have the courage to articulate the problem, i.e. Fluttershy in Green Isn't Your Colour.

EDIT: The move asks, "What stops you from getting your friend's help? Your pride or your cowardice?"
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2014-10-15 at 07:44 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Applebuck season. I.e. "I need to buck all these apples but I don't need no help doing it!" You're clear about what the problem is but you're also clear that it's your problem alone.
    The problem here is that that statement does not trigger the move. Applejack is not Asking her friends for help, she's just making a statement. Even if it is technically a problem (even if she doesn't realize it).

This is that you can't bring yourself to ask for help but you can accept help if offered. You don't have the courage to articulate the problem, i.e. Fluttershy in Green Isn't Your Colour.

EDIT: The move asks, "What stops you from getting your friend's help? Your pride or your cowardice?"
    Yeah, I think it's the trigger that's the issue here. As a preliminary fix, you could try changing it to When you try to ask your friends for help..., though that still doesn't solve the problem above.

Maybe When you reveal a personal problem to your friends...? Still might need a better definition of a problem.

12. - Top - End - #12

Yes but, I'm probably drawing more on Monster Hearts than AW in this situation. Monster Hearts is the AW system for petty teenage drama and it has moves like 'Hold Steady', where the consequence of success is 'you don't freak out'. Monster Hearts benefits hugely from this move because the move implies that from time to time teenagers will freak out because they're messy, uncontrolled sacks of emotions. It's odd in that it's a move primarily triggered by the MC, but it doesn't undermine the system or anything.
    I don't have full access to Monster Hearts, so I can't fully comment, but from what I have, Monster Hearts isn't just Teen Drama. It's Buffy the Vampire Slayer with dice. As such, Hold Steady isn't about blowing up at your friends so much as it is about resisting the urge to eat somebody's face. Gives the move a different feel, I think.

Would this move happen every time someone has to ask for help?
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

13. - Top - End - #13

Core Mechanic: Responsibilities

A big theme of FiM is taking on responsibilities. Many episodes have this current running through them and so I'm thinking your list of Responsibilities is going to be the core social mechanic in AIA in the same way that Conditions dominate Monster Hearts. Responsibilities might be things like, 'Coach a small team of fillies', 'keep the weather under control', or 'organise a town festival'. Some sort of mechanic needs to be attached to Responsibilities to make sure people take them on. Responsibilities should be something that you want to have but can't always handle.

I'm thinking that the solution to the 'definition of problem' issue with Ask Your Friends might be to add a mechanical definition to 'Problem'. So the Responsibility is 'harvest apples' the Problem is 'Down a worker'.

I'm not sure about it but I feel like that does summarise the small town feel I'm going for here. I'll think about it some more.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

A big theme of FiM is taking on responsibilities. Many episodes have this current running through them and so I'm thinking your list of Responsibilities is going to be the core social mechanic in AIA in the same way that Conditions dominate Monster Hearts. Responsibilities might be things like, 'Coach a small team of fillies', 'keep the weather under control', or 'organise a town festival'. Some sort of mechanic needs to be attached to Responsibilities to make sure people take them on. Responsibilities should be something that you want to have but can't always handle.
    These sound like Bonds with the setting instead of another character. You could have the same resolution (when players agree they are done, maybe at end of session, award XP). For ability to handle, that doesn't seem like something anyone would be able to know ahead of time. Seems like a good place for the GM to intervene with complications, but that isn't really in their agenda.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

The problem here is that that statement does not trigger the move. Applejack is not Asking her friends for help, she's just making a statement. Even if it is technically a problem (even if she doesn't realize it).
    How so? Ruling point of AW is that if something happens that should have been a move, it is a move. If the natural fiction brings you to and through a situation handled by a move, the game says that's a move.

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    I don't have full access to Monster Hearts, so I can't fully comment, but from what I have, Monster Hearts isn't just Teen Drama. It's Buffy the Vampire Slayer with dice. As such, Hold Steady isn't about blowing up at your friends so much as it is about resisting the urge to eat somebody's face. Gives the move a different feel, I think.

Would this move happen every time someone has to ask for help?
    I don't know. I didn't get that impression at all, although the camp level certainly can drive it that direction.

I hate to say this, but maybe Reaponsibilities should be as defined as tags are in A*W? They mean and so what the group consensus is that they mean or do.

I'm thinking that the solution to the 'definition of problem' issue with Ask Your Friends might be to add a mechanical definition to 'Problem'. So the Responsibility is 'harvest apples' the Problem is 'Down a worker'.

I'm not sure about it but I feel like that does summarise the small town feel I'm going for here. I'll think about it some more.
    Interesting. No comments yet.

16. - Top - End - #16

I hate to say this, but maybe Reaponsibilities should be as defined as tags are in A*W? They mean and so what the group consensus is that they mean or do.
    Yeah, like, Rainbow Dash's mentor relationship with Scootaloo is a responsibility. There'd be suggestions and guidelines but they'd also be pretty malleable in terms of what they are, just like Conditions.

On the other hand, they should have similar mechanical impact and interaction with Moves. "When you fail a responsibility..." "When you need help with a responsibility..." "When someone has conflicting responsibilities..." etc

These sound like Bonds with the setting instead of another character. You could have the same resolution (when players agree they are done, maybe at end of session, award XP). For ability to handle, that doesn't seem like something anyone would be able to know ahead of time. Seems like a good place for the GM to intervene with complications, but that isn't really in their agenda.
    Yeah that's an interesting point.

GMs intervening with complications will be a Principle, but not an Agenda.

17. - Top - End - #17

Help Decide

When you help someone decide between two conflicting responsibilities, roll +Loyalty (NB: Stat names still under heavy consideration, for now I'm thinking elements of harmony)

10+: Both.
    7-9: Pick one:
    - They mark XP if they take your advice
    - They take [some sort of penalty/freeze up/generate a new Problem] if they don't.

Another common theme of FiM episodes is someone, usually Rainbow Dash but everyone's been there, deciding between temptation and friendship. Usually these arcs resolve in someone finding out about it and giving some snarky advice. I think this move will gain more definition once Responsibilities get fleshed out and once I come up with a reason to encourage ponies to try and juggle multiple, conflicting responsibilities. The +problems thing is really cool I think because it lets a friend predict doom if their advice is ignored, much like a Perspective in Kingdom.

18. - Top - End - #18

Oh, obviously:

When you do something nice (gift/party/etc) for someone else, roll +Generous:

10+: Both
    - You appreciate it
    - They appreciate it
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2014-10-15 at 10:45 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

I'm going to read through this in the morning, and probably will waste many an hour coming up with mechanics and ideas.

You monster.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

(NB: Stat names still under heavy consideration, for now I'm thinking elements of harmony)
    Maybe Elements of Harmony with the addition of "Friendship" to replace hax*?

Nevermind me. I'm just stoked to find out there are non-zero people on this board that play Apocalypse World. Will follow this with interest.

*Obviously I mean 'History', but we always call it hax because of the 'Hx' abbreviation on the Apocalypse World sheets.
    Last edited by Xefas; 2014-10-15 at 11:18 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    Maybe Elements of Harmony with the addition of "Friendship" to replace hax*?

Nevermind me. I'm just stoked to find out there are non-zero people on this board that play Apocalypse World. Will follow this with interest.

*Obviously I mean 'History', but we always call it hax because of the 'Hx' abbreviation on the Apocalypse World sheets.
    Oh that might be a good idea. Six core stats is too many so I was planning on leaving Friendship out.

I don't know about using Hx as my base, though, perhaps I might steal Strings instead. Don't know about that, though, strings are emotional leverage. And the one of the Agendas is about growth which Hx better models. Hmmm~
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2014-10-15 at 10:54 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22

Oh that might be a good idea. Six core stats is too many so I was planning on leaving Friendship out.

I don't know about using Hx as my base, though, perhaps I might steal Strings instead. Don't know about that, though, strings are emotional leverage. And the one of the Agendas is about growth which Hx better models. Hmmm~
    Plus, Hx affects how well you help/hinder somebody. Most of the moves thus far are some variation on helping a friend out. Hx on top of that would seem redundant, and a little too generalized.
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2014-10-15 at 11:08 PM.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

It's been a while since I watched some ponies, but I figured I'd take a shot at helping. IIRC, Twilight's magic doesn't always work as intended. I'm thinking about stuff like Twilight's spell that turned the parasprites into (more) ravenous clouds of destruction.

Cast A Spell

Whenever you want to cast a big spell - not just some minor feat of telekinesis, but something that effects a whole town or more - roll +Magic.

On a 10+ choose two.
    On a 7-9 choose one.

- The spell can be cast without significant preparation. If you have everything you need, you can set it off whenever.
    - The spell only requires things you have lying around. You don't need to ask anypony for help or go on an adventure to find a mysterious reagent.
    - The spell is a one-pony job. You won't need some friends to help with your ritual chants or to act as energy conduits or anything.

Then, when you successfully cast the spell, roll +Magic again.

On a 10+ choose two.
    On a 7-9 choose one.

- The spell had the effect you wanted it to.
    - Only one of your friends will suffer some unintended fallout from it.
    - A large number of innocent bystanders have not been put in danger because of your hubris.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    It's been a while since I watched some ponies, but I figured I'd take a shot at helping. IIRC, Twilight's magic doesn't always work as intended. I'm thinking about stuff like Twilight's spell that turned the parasprites into (more) ravenous clouds of destruction.

Cast A Spell

Whenever you want to cast a big spell - not just some minor feat of telekinesis, but something that effects a whole town or more - roll +Magic.

On a 10+ choose two.
    On a 7-9 choose one.

- The spell can be cast without significant preparation. If you have everything you need, you can set it off whenever.
    - The spell only requires things you have lying around. You don't need to ask anypony for help or go on an adventure to find a mysterious reagent.
    - The spell is a one-pony job. You won't need some friends to help with your ritual chants or to act as energy conduits or anything.

Then, when you successfully cast the spell, roll +Magic again.

On a 10+ choose two.
    On a 7-9 choose one.

- The spell had the effect you wanted it to.
    - Only one of your friends will suffer some unintended fallout from it.
    - A large number of innocent bystanders have not been put in danger because of your hubris.
    No, this isn't what the system wants to look at. When you cast a spell to help out your friends you roll +Generous to Do Something Nice. What we've got here is an effects based Move which is trying to simulate a magic system, it makes one of the base stats 'are you a unicorn', and moreover it's too big. Affecting the entire town is explicitly not the scope of this game. It's not Twilight's Sorcery Simulator, it's Applejack's Infrastructure Adventures.

Casting big scale spells might be a class move under the Princess playbook but they are not basic moves.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2014-10-15 at 11:25 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Casting big scale spells might be a class move under the Aristocrat playbook but they are not basic moves.
    Ahhh. I see. Cool.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

How so? Ruling point of AW is that if something happens that should have been a move, it is a move. If the natural fiction brings you to and through a situation handled by a move, the game says that's a move.
    Mmm, but I read that differently, also because I was thinking about before Applejack starts trying to buck all the apples. Once she is tired, then I agree that is likely a problem and should trigger, but she still isn't "asking for help". It puts the action that triggers the move as part of the effect of the move which is weird, and why I suggested "reveal a problem" instead, though it isn't a perfect fix.

Help Decide

When you help someone decide between two conflicting responsibilities, roll +Loyalty (NB: Stat names still under heavy consideration, for now I'm thinking elements of harmony)

10+: Both.
    - They mark XP if they take your advice
    - They take [some sort of penalty/freeze up/generate a new Problem] if they don't.

Another common theme of FiM episodes is someone, usually Rainbow Dash but everyone's been there, deciding between temptation and friendship. Usually these arcs resolve in someone finding out about it and giving some snarky advice. I think this move will gain more definition once Responsibilities get fleshed out and once I come up with a reason to encourage ponies to try and juggle multiple, conflicting responsibilities. The +problems thing is really cool I think because it lets a friend predict doom if their advice is ignored, much like a Perspective in Kingdom.
    This one reads strange with Both and Pick One. I'd write it out in full sentence perhaps.
    Probably have something to say about the weal/woe duality, but can't really brain it right now. For this style of move maybe take a look at the DW Wizard's Know-It-All move? It's similar, but generally a little more positive. Have to see how problems turn out before seeing if adding one with a basic move really works.

27. - Top - End - #27

Mmm, but I read that differently, also because I was thinking about before Applejack starts trying to buck all the apples. Once she is tired, then I agree that is likely a problem and should trigger, but she still isn't "asking for help". It puts the action that triggers the move as part of the effect of the move which is weird, and why I suggested "reveal a problem" instead, though it isn't a perfect fix.
    I'm becoming increasingly convinced by having Problems be a mechanical thing like Conditions, so that way you know straight up what you can't talk about without rolling.

This one reads strange with Both and Pick One. I'd write it out in full sentence perhaps.
    All of these are in alpha draft mode. A lot of it's open to adjustment/specifics as the system develops, right now it's just the skeletons.

Probably have something to say about the weal/woe duality, but can't really brain it right now. For this style of move maybe take a look at the DW Wizard's Know-It-All move? It's similar, but generally a little more positive. Have to see how problems turn out before seeing if adding one with a basic move really works.
    Wilco. It's using the same architecture as seduce/manipulate from AW but it's all hyper sketchy right now.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm becoming increasingly convinced by having Problems be a mechanical thing like Conditions, so that way you know straight up what you can't talk about without rolling.
    All of these are in alpha draft mode. A lot of it's open to adjustment/specifics as the system develops, right now it's just the skeletons.
    Wilco. It's using the same architecture as seduce/manipulate from AW but it's all hyper sketchy right now.
    Yeah should maybe hash those out first then. I am by no means trying to delve straight into editing paralysis, just getting stuff down so I don't forget/miss it.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

Explain the word "infrastructure" in the game's title.

Not to me. I think I get it. But calibrate the expectations of folks coming in, s'il vous plaît.

30. - Top - End - #30

Explain the word "infrastructure" in the game's title.

Not to me. I think I get it. But calibrate the expectations of folks coming in, s'il vous plaît.
    The focus is rapidly turning away from an original intention to focus on architecture due to the organic generation of the moves, but the basic idea is that digging an irrigation ditch should be a major project and source of contentment. It's about making your own surroundings better; it's about simplicity and small town life.

I'm thinking things like 'Shopkeeper', or 'Performer', or 'Shelter' and such for Playbook names. Things that imply your daily job. Since the Agenda is to sweat the small stuff it'll be stuff like running your business, figuring out what to spend your meagre savings on and so forth.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2014-10-16 at 12:41 AM.