Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Vox, the Faceless Shadow [Vestige]

Vox, The Faceless Shadow
    Vox was a masked revolutionary who rallied the people of an oppressive empire up into revolution. Though he died on the same day his revolution succeeded, when the mask was pulled back, there was no body. Vox had kept his face hidden even in death, and entered into the ranks of the vestiges.

Vestige Level: 2nd
    Binding DC: 15

Legend
    Almost half a century ago, a small island kingdom was conquered and dominated by a cruel, oppressive empire. The rightful king of the nation was beheaded, and was replaced by a heartless, scheming agent of the empire. The people of the island were either forced into labor camps, dragooned into the army, or executed. Few had to courage to resist the imperial ruler, and those who did soon found themselves in unmarked graves.

But there was an exception. A masked rogue, calling him or herself Vox, took up arms against the empire’s rule, waging a covert campaign of infiltration and sabotage. Soon, the grinning white mask Vox wore became a sign of hope for the people, a sign they could rally around.

A year after Vox had first begun his mission, he made a daring assassination attempt on the imperial leader, as the tyrant was giving a speech denouncing the revolutionary. Vox fought brilliantly, slashing out the demagogue’s eyes and nearly fatally wounding him–but the masked warrior could not hope to match the legions of soldiers that had been assembled. Despite all his cunning and subtlety, he fell in battle.

As a commander of the imperial army knelt over to remove the mask Vox had worn, the assembled people suddenly burst into a riot. Their hero had been killed like a dog–but they would not let his memory be dishonored by allowing him to be unmasked. The legions of soldiers fled before the rioting mass, and, though many died on both sides, the people won out on the end. What traces of imperial power remained were quickly driven out by revolution, and soon an heir to the deposed, true royal line of the island had been placed back on the throne.

In the aftermath of the rioting, Vox’s body was lost. His grinning mask, however, was found smiling triumphantly, atop the corpse of the killed tyrant. Even in his death, Vox led his revolution on–but now, he was more than a man. He had become a vestige.

Manifestation
    Vox appears in his seal as a shadowy, indistinct figure wearing a white, grinning mask. He–or she–speaks in hoarse whispers.

Sign
    While bound to Vox, you appear to be wearing a replica of his mask. Nothing can remove the mask from your face while you remain bound to Vox.

Influence
    Vox’s influence as a vestige is the same as it ways in life. He will not allow you to witness an injustice or oppression without taking some steps towards righting it.

Granted Abilities
    Vox grants you stealth, subtlety, and secrecy.

Mask of Shadows
    As a swift action, you may turn yourself invisible for 1 round. Once you use this ability, you must wait 5 rounds before you can use it again.

Masked Soul
    While bound to Vox, you gain spell resistance equal to 10 + your binder level. However, this spell resistance only works against spells of the divination school. If you do not display Vox’s sign, then you do not gain the benefits of this ability.

Vox’s Stealth
    While bound to Vox, you gain a +5 enhancement bonus on all Hide and Move Silently checks.

Weapon Finesse
    While bound to Vox, you gain Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat.
    Last edited by The Demented One; 2007-03-17 at 08:45 PM.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Closed Account

Default Re: Vox, the Faceless Shadow [Vestige]

I feel a V for Vendetta moment coming.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

You felt it, too?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sage in the Playground View Post
    You felt it, too?
    ...Verily.
    Terrence Randall and the Kinslayer by NEO|Phyte
    Dencamp Bertrande takes a bow.
    Spoiler
    Show

Terrence Randall by The Stoney One

Rennac Belnades by Lord Iames.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

If it weren't for thateverybody knew that movie's general plotline and the imagery involved, this would be a great vestige. Unfortunately, using it may result in your DM killing you.

Koboldsarbeiter avatar by Mindfreak

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Indeed.

As a representation of V, it leaves much to be desired. As the stand alone vestige I believe D1 meant it to be, it's just fine.

Trying to find oomph in it, I see that it baisically depends on how well you can use that swift invisibility, I can't remember if there's a vestige that grants sneak attack, but using them together is quite obvious. I don't see any of it's abilities as overpowered anyway, and it's much like the other lower level vestiges in requiring a little work to use well.
    Attention Imgur Users! Imgur apparently doesn't like hosting images anymore and only works in certain places or for people who already have the image cached: No one can see your avatars or images!
    Also Photobucket users? Don't know if it's a bandwidth or region lock or something, but I'm seeing some avatars blurred out with a watermark that looks like the photobucket icon.
    And Tinypic went down a while back, seeing plenty of old avatars showing their downed image.
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

Sounds a bit like the movie V. a fantasy representation of V.

"Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin van-guarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. "
    Ia! Ia! Cthulu Ftagn!
    Spread Hugs, not Drugs!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

You might also want to consider changing the SR against divinations only to a Nondetection effect. The same thing, just not as clunky.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

cool beans. i'm gonna insert a reason to use this in my current campaign; don't know how yet, but it's happening...
    my own diabolical experiments (homebrew)

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns
    Watchtower––Volume III (running since 2008)

Announcer— “Your cable television is experiencing difficulties. Please do not panic. Resist the temptation to read or talk to loved ones. Do not attempt sexual relations, as years of TV radiation have left your genitals withered and useless.”

Wiggum, checking— “Well I'll be damned.”