New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Epic Level play and a Dragon Fire Adept/Shaman

My group and I are on the cusp on reaching Epic levels...I have never reached this high with this particular DM and have no idea what to do lol. I am currently playing a Dragonfire Shaman (Adept but with Shaman HD and Auras) and am having a blast with him. Got reincarnated and rolled Kobold (DM allowed me to switch a then redundant feat for Dragonwrought). Took a level in Sorcerer (Draconic bloodline) and did the rituals and archetype for some free Sorcerer levels (DM didn't care, so no need to debate the legitimacy of that tired old debate). Mainly picked up utility spells and defensive options like Wings of Cover. We also adjusted Bahamut's breath to work on Undead and objects (main enemies are Undead and sentient Weapons). Yes...I know Tiamat's is far more potent, but I was playing a good character and would had to jump through some hoops to switch alignment. I tend to be the front liner defense (highest AC and near highest HP) and utility spell caster with all the scrolls and wands we pick up.

I am currently DFS 15/Sorcerer 1 (+3 free) and am less than 1500 XP from my next level. I was going to try and do a Draconic Theurge multiclass homebrew but the DM wasn't onboard for whatever reason. Could change his mind, but I am not counting on it. Aside from 2 Levels in Warshaper for that sweet crit immunity and +4 to STR and CON, where else should I go from here? We might 30 more sessions at least (unless TPK). Will have to go into the Underdark and the Circles of Hell for 2 particular targets of interest.

Sorcerer for more options is always good, but finishing up my main class would boost my primary damage and get me a few more options. The Heir of Siberysis PrC would require me to use one of my epic level feats to get into and another to make the most out of it (not saying no to it just pointing the logistics.

On a side note, I hadn't gone the metabreath feats but near the end turned back to them and got Power Surge and will be getting Maximize breath on level 18 (though open to other options). The party consists of a Warblade, Cleric, Druid (so far no multiclassing from them, though the warblade is considering it as he has also hit his capstone), and a Barbarian that may be replaced with a Bard (player is a bit wishy washy and his ranger already died).

As always, any thoughts, feedback, suggestions, or questions always appreciated.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Epic Level play and a Dragon Fire Adept/Shaman

I would take DFA to 18 for the capstone (why not you mostly there), and see if your DM is okay with converting eldritch theurge to advance breath and DFA invocations with casting as opposed to eldritch blast and casting. Marshall lets you double dip auras but that might not be worth it this late.

Especially if eldritch theurge tweak is okay, and since DFA has no epic support I can think of, see if you can start taking warlock invocations because epic warlock has some support. It adds a bunch more utility and since an eldritch theurge is a 10 level PRC, you can epic progress it if you care to.

If he is not willing to adapt, a crucible of fell power and maybe a single level of warlock would let you theurge, and RAW can advance DFA invocations.

Other than that fill gaps in your build, a lot of subsystems (binding, incarnum, psionics) can give you a bit more flexibility in utility and can nab some pretty potent effects with just a small investment.

2 levels of totemist and maybe a few feats gives you a ton of stuff, and you can fast track higher binds a bit with feats if you want. It's also mostly con SAD. Binding has lots of goodies and anima mage is a super strong theurge. Psionics can give a pretty solid boost as well to a lot of miscellaneous stuff if you so desire with lower level powers.

For raw power just advance sorcerer casting or do true dragon shenanigans, but DFA is a solid tier 3 as is and always has something relevant to do as is so you can lean I to that as well.

My 2 copper.

edit: correcting autocorrect's mistakes
    Last edited by Efrate; 2020-08-06 at 03:53 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Efrate View Post
    Marshall lets you double dip auras but that might not be worth it this late.
    I have looked at that before. If the bonus stacked onto my other Auras, absolutely, but at this point not really worth it.

Especially if eldritch theurge tweak is okay, and since DFA has no epic support I can think of, see if you can start taking warlock invocations because epic warlock has some support. It adds a bunch more utility and since an eldritch theurge is a 10 level PRC, you can epic progress it if you care to.
    I am hoping he changes his mind on that as it would make the most sense for my character's evolution, plus it would be easy too. Though adding some Warlock to the build could be interesting and would definitely open up options per RAW.

2 levels of totemist and maybe a few feats gives you a ton of stuff, and you can fast track higher binds a bit with feats if you want. It's also mostly con SAD. Binding has lots of goodies and anima mage is a super strong theurge.
    Funny enough, I built a Totemist as my next character, so I am strongly considering this option. As for the Sorcerer progressing, it is an option I have considered, just hate to not progress my main character shtick especially without an in-game reason to (no time skips to signify researching magic as opposed to being in combat a lot).

Thank you, I will look over these options.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Taking the Infernal Adept may allow you to qualify for some of this stuff...