Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920 LastLast
Results 361 to 390 of 584
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Various Places
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: All the Path of War Guides in One Place!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaxenomorph View Post
    I appreciate the update! Since you cover Sleeping Goddess and its style, I'm surprised you didn't mention Awakened Animus, though.
    If you actually appreciated it, you'd write a medic guide.

    You're right, that's an oversight on my part. I'll get Awakened Animus in there in a sec.

    EDIT: And done.

  2. - Top - End - #362
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: All the Path of War Guides in One Place!

    Quick Guide for the Medic:

    Go Ambu-lancer and take a Racer archetype mount. Charge at 600 feet in a round.

    Be awesome.
    DMs only roll dice for the sound they make

  3. - Top - End - #363
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Various Places
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: All the Path of War Guides in One Place!

    Quote Originally Posted by Wartex1 View Post
    Quick Guide for the Medic:

    Go Ambu-lancer and take a Racer archetype mount. Charge at 600 feet in a round.

    Be awesome.
    Do you really want me to add that to the first post? Your name will be on it.

  4. - Top - End - #364
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: All the Path of War Guides in One Place!

    Sure.

    I bought the Medic as soon as it came out. From a mechanical standpoint, it's probably my favorite. It's smooth and simple, but still plenty of versatility. Plus, with Strikes, especially Charge ones, 3/4 BAB isn't that bad.

    My only pet peeve is that the Ambu-lancer's magic bell thing is a physical item. Just feels weird to have an item be a class feature past level one.
    DMs only roll dice for the sound they make

  5. - Top - End - #365
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Various Places
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: All the Path of War Guides in One Place!

    Quote Originally Posted by Wartex1 View Post
    Sure.

    I bought the Medic as soon as it came out. From a mechanical standpoint, it's probably my favorite. It's smooth and simple, but still plenty of versatility. Plus, with Strikes, especially Charge ones, 3/4 BAB isn't that bad.

    My only pet peeve is that the Ambu-lancer's magic bell thing is a physical item. Just feels weird to have an item be a class feature past level one.
    I'm glad you're enjoying the class. The problem with making the Ambu-lancer's siren into an item is that then it has to obey all the explicit and implicit rules regarding items. In this case, those are more trouble than they're worth, unfortunately.

  6. - Top - End - #366
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: All the Path of War Guides in One Place!

    My peeve isn't that it isn't an item, but that the flavor text describes it as acquiring an item rather than, say, the Medic producing the sound themselves (be it magically or screaming the old fashioned way).
    DMs only roll dice for the sound they make

  7. - Top - End - #367
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Various Places
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: All the Path of War Guides in One Place!

    Quote Originally Posted by Wartex1 View Post
    My peeve isn't that it isn't an item, but that the flavor text describes it as acquiring an item rather than, say, the Medic producing the sound themselves (be it magically or screaming the old fashioned way).
    The text says "gains a glowing, magical siren" It doesn't specify that the siren is an item, although that's definitely one interpretation. It's a supernatural effect, so I tried to leave its exact nature vague. I guess I missed the mark though.

  8. - Top - End - #368
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2014

    Default Re: All the Path of War Guides in One Place!

    I'm not sure that Medic even needs a guide.The class is so perfect in terms of simplicity of usage AND fun...
    I would shorten it to:
    Go Ambu-lancer.Be awesome.
    Last edited by Draacul; 2017-09-16 at 02:31 PM.

  9. - Top - End - #369
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: All the Path of War Guides in One Place!

    The class, I feel, is one of those rare "perfect classes" where it hits the nail on the head just right in terms of power and flexibility.

    One other class that comes to mind in that regard is DDS' Luchador, mainly because of how customizable and comboable it can get while not changing the system in any way.
    DMs only roll dice for the sound they make

  10. - Top - End - #370
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Various Places
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: All the Path of War Guides in One Place!

    Quote Originally Posted by Draacul View Post
    I'm not sure that Medic even needs a guide.The class is so perfect in terms of simplicity of usage AND fun...
    I would shorten it to:
    Go Ambu-lancer.Be awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wartex1 View Post
    The class, I feel, is one of those rare "perfect classes" where it hits the nail on the head just right in terms of power and flexibility.

    One other class that comes to mind in that regard is DDS' Luchador, mainly because of how customizable and comboable it can get while not changing the system in any way.
    Please, continue to shower it with compliments, but a guide would help spread the word about the class. Which would help get it onto the pfsrd faster, and get more people playing it. That's why I started the guides during the PoW playtest, to highlight what makes them cool and fun. Gotta build the hype, yo.

    Guides aren't just for tricky or difficult classes, they offer new players and DMs a chance to look over something in an informal way that might speak to them better than the initial structure. There's a lot of things that look tricky but are easy to understand once explained (animus springs to mind), and at the very least triage could be considered one of those things.

  11. - Top - End - #371
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Antonio.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: All the Path of War Guides in One Place!

    Hey, I'd gladly volunteer if I'd ever played one, but I haven't had the chance. Plus, I'm one of those people that doesn't quite get triage; I still don't know if it's usable outside of combat.

  12. - Top - End - #372
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Various Places
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: All the Path of War Guides in One Place!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaxenomorph View Post
    Hey, I'd gladly volunteer if I'd ever played one, but I haven't had the chance. Plus, I'm one of those people that doesn't quite get triage; I still don't know if it's usable outside of combat.
    Triage can only be used during an encounter, because it is a per encounter ability. So strictly speaking it cannot be used outside of combat. However, as an encounter lasts past the end of combat (as defined in PoW), you can use that brief amount of time after combat ends (but before the encounter ends) to heal up using Triage.

  13. - Top - End - #373
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2014

    Default Re: All the Path of War Guides in One Place!

    Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla View Post
    Please, continue to shower it with compliments, but a guide would help spread the word about the class. Which would help get it onto the pfsrd faster, and get more people playing it. That's why I started the guides during the PoW playtest, to highlight what makes them cool and fun. Gotta build the hype, yo.
    The only way i can spread the word about it is by spreading the word.English isn't even remotely my first language.

  14. - Top - End - #374
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Antonio.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: All the Path of War Guides in One Place!

    Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla View Post
    Triage can only be used during an encounter, because it is a per encounter ability. So strictly speaking it cannot be used outside of combat. However, as an encounter lasts past the end of combat (as defined in PoW), you can use that brief amount of time after combat ends (but before the encounter ends) to heal up using Triage.
    Ah, see, that's what I thought, but I wasn't 100% sure.

  15. - Top - End - #375
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2014

    Default Re: All the Path of War Guides in One Place!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaxenomorph View Post
    Ah, see, that's what I thought, but I wasn't 100% sure.
    Well,real-life medics have a golden hour,Medics have a golden minute.
    Problem is,you can spend that minute recovering maneuvers and healing up,which pretty much just guarantees full health for the team.For free as opposed to three gold per hit point.
    Congratulations,you're justified in your existence.
    Well,you was before Radiant Dawn came into being and now everyone can do it.
    Good news is:Medic can and in fact must take Radiant Dawn to shine her awesomeness into the far reaches of the galaxy.
    I don't get why Medic got 16 maneuvers and not 21 though.It's abilities are pretty sane compared to Stalker or Mystic.
    Last edited by Draacul; 2017-09-16 at 03:47 PM.

  16. - Top - End - #376
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Various Places
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: All the Path of War Guides in One Place!

    Quote Originally Posted by Draacul View Post
    The only way i can spread the word about it is by spreading the word.English isn't even remotely my first language.
    Well do what you can to spread the word then. The Medic is seriously suffering from a lack of exposure.

  17. - Top - End - #377
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: All the Path of War Guides in One Place!

    So, what is the third member of the new trio? We've got Wisdom for the Medic and Charisma for the Rajah, so now we have Intelligence for the mystery class.
    DMs only roll dice for the sound they make

  18. - Top - End - #378
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Various Places
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: All the Path of War Guides in One Place!

    Quote Originally Posted by Wartex1 View Post
    So, what is the third member of the new trio? We've got Wisdom for the Medic and Charisma for the Rajah, so now we have Intelligence for the mystery class.
    You sure you're not reading too much into things?

  19. - Top - End - #379
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2014

    Default Re: All the Path of War Guides in One Place!

    Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla View Post
    You sure you're not reading too much into things?
    I'm reading the same thing,so i second the question.

  20. - Top - End - #380
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: All the Path of War Guides in One Place!

    If I said yes I'd be lying.

    I mean, I think that another Int initiator would be nice. Maybe like a Kensei or something, master of weapons and tools and stuff.
    DMs only roll dice for the sound they make

  21. - Top - End - #381
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2014

    Default Re: All the Path of War Guides in One Place!

    Quote Originally Posted by Wartex1 View Post
    If I said yes I'd be lying.

    I mean, I think that another Int initiator would be nice. Maybe like a Kensei or something, master of weapons and tools and stuff.
    Also should be full BAB,because we have 1/2 and 3/4 already.

  22. - Top - End - #382
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Various Places
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: All the Path of War Guides in One Place!

    Design philosophy is more about filling roles than meeting stat requirements. If there isn't a niche to fill, there isn't likely to be a new class coming out. Still, that's what homebrew is for.

  23. - Top - End - #383
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: All the Path of War Guides in One Place!

    Maybe a crafter?

    I mean, sure the Mystic and Rajah can craft magic items, but no one can craft mundane items quickly. Plus, it can also fulfill the niche of improvised weaponry since nothing in PoW uses that to my knowledge, and maybe add a crafting subsystem sort of like magic weapons but instead of using spells, it uses maneuvers.

    Plus, a class that better supports switching between weapons on the fly would be cool.
    DMs only roll dice for the sound they make

  24. - Top - End - #384
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Various Places
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: All the Path of War Guides in One Place!

    Quote Originally Posted by Wartex1 View Post
    Maybe a crafter?

    I mean, sure the Mystic and Rajah can craft magic items, but no one can craft mundane items quickly. Plus, it can also fulfill the niche of improvised weaponry since nothing in PoW uses that to my knowledge, and maybe add a crafting subsystem sort of like magic weapons but instead of using spells, it uses maneuvers.

    Plus, a class that better supports switching between weapons on the fly would be cool.
    The system itself doesn't support switching weapons on the fly due to the individualization of feats, weapon special abilities and class abilities. And mundane items are sorely lacking compared to magical items, they'd need their own entire book worth of support to even start to approach the utility of magic items.

    If you want to switch "weapons" on the fly, the Soulknife does that pretty well, and can get really modular with it's stuff if you multiclass with aegis.

  25. - Top - End - #385
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: All the Path of War Guides in One Place!

    I mean, one could just craft "mundane" weapons with magical effects, and then just add a slight touch for initiators like bonuses when used with different disciplines that count as +1/+2 effects on a magic item.

    Plus one could say, build golems that are also initiators, build traps that mimic maneuvers, craft weapons that morph between different forms based off of stance, etc.
    DMs only roll dice for the sound they make

  26. - Top - End - #386
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Various Places
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: All the Path of War Guides in One Place!

    Quote Originally Posted by Wartex1 View Post
    I mean, one could just craft "mundane" weapons with magical effects, and then just add a slight touch for initiators like bonuses when used with different disciplines that count as +1/+2 effects on a magic item.

    Plus one could say, build golems that are also initiators, build traps that mimic maneuvers, craft weapons that morph between different forms based off of stance, etc.
    I'm not saying it can't be done, just that it steps outside the boundaries of a "class.". I also have reservations about the idea of switching weapons frequently to receive bonuses. Mithral Current's action requirements are already pretty punishing without feat support, can you imagine having to add the gold cost of additional weapons to that? The system assumes you'll be sticking to one weapon for the majority of your play, and the rules and assumptions heavily enforce that.

  27. - Top - End - #387
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2011

    Default Re: All the Path of War Guides in One Place!

    Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla View Post
    Archetypes aren't supposed to be power boosts. They are supposed to be a lateral trade, or as close as you can get.
    In Theory Sure, In Practice not so much. They are either trash, optimize a certain play style, are laterals, or are broken. And Flavor isn't usually enough to convince anyone to weaken their base power level.

  28. - Top - End - #388
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Various Places
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: All the Path of War Guides in One Place!

    Quote Originally Posted by skaddix View Post
    In Theory Sure, In Practice not so much. They are either trash, optimize a certain play style, are laterals, or are broken. And Flavor isn't usually enough to convince anyone to weaken their base power level.
    And that has little to do with the discussion at hand. You stated the Harbinger archetypes were a side grade, not an upgrade. I stated that was the design goal with archetypes, which makes the Harbinger archetypes an example of successful theory, not something to be looked down on. That other archetypes succeed or fail at this goal to varying degrees has no bearing on the issue at hand.

  29. - Top - End - #389
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Various Places
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: All the Path of War Guides in One Place!

    Updated feats and stuff for harbinger just like I did with the mystic. Should be a much cleaner and more up to date document.

  30. - Top - End - #390
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2014

    Default Re: All the Path of War Guides in One Place!

    Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla View Post
    Updated feats and stuff for harbinger just like I did with the mystic. Should be a much cleaner and more up to date document.
    I object to Crimson Countess's Sanguine Empowerment rating.
    It's literally the only thing that makes Harbinger tolerable.These so-called"scaling bonuses to attack and damage"are better than anything you'll ever get from Int,setting up it as easy as being within close range from targets,so-called"minor HP gain"is in most circumstances Fast Healing 20 starting from level 2(updated) and i can go on if needed.
    Grim News is rated even lower and this is just crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla View Post
    Lets trade out the ability to fly, swim, climb, or teleport (pick two!) for the ability to turn into a pool of blood (LoL and WoD fans rejoice, again) that canít attack, canít initiate and canít threaten anybody.
    No,let's trade ability to fly(1st level stance),swim(1st level stance),climb(you actually get climb)or teleport(2nd level maneuver)for the ability to turn into completely unkillable entity that can use it's burst,cones or plain target maneuvers against anything it wants.Don't have any?Use Drain!You can solve most physical combat encounters by yourself while party is around the corner making you tea and drawing straws who'll massage your feet when you return!
    Last edited by Draacul; 2017-09-17 at 03:23 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •