New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: All the Path of War Guides in One Place!

Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla View Post
    They're temporary though, and have a short duration
    One use is kinda short,yes.
    "
    I'll grant that none of these are particularly ideal, but at the very least the shard + synaptic mask combo is completely legit.
    Well,you kinda need to have psionics allowed and psionic items freely available,but yes.
    On the topic of mystic, I'm reluctant to recommend it to anyone unless they are an experienced player. Mystic is a very busy class, there is a lot to keep track of and it can overwhelm people who aren't familiar with the game or have excellent memory.
    But these things all do something.Usually even something good!
    However,even at it's core it's one of two full initiators(21 maneuvers known ones)who has ability to hit way better than it should.
    Add to this the ability to use firearms as a delivery system without all stuff that makes firearms horrible(like RELOADING TIMES!)and you can basically forget about all these glyphs and whatnot,because you'll contribute something anyway.
    And,of course,Mystic has easy access to Animus Adept,which not exactly has class features more powerful than the entire classes,but it's up there.It's also short,sweet and progresses both glyphs and ability to augment maneuvers.
    Last edited by Draacul; 2017-09-23 at 01:07 PM.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Draacul View Post
    Add to this the ability to use firearms as a delivery system without all stuff that makes firearms horrible(like RELOADING TIMES!)and you can basically forget about all these glyphs and whatnot,because you'll contribute something anyway.
    1. A mystic should never, ever forget their glyphs. They're a core feature of the class and one of the most useful and versatile packages of abilities in the game.

2. Using firearms doesn't help the guy who wants to build an archer.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Dwarf in the Playground

1. A mystic should never, ever forget their glyphs. They're a core feature of the class and one of the most useful and versatile packages of abilities in the game.

2. Using firearms doesn't help the guy who wants to build an archer.
    1)Or you can default to fire.
    2)I usually read"archer"as"ranged combatant",which is a problem,yes.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The default should never be your only choice though. You should learn how and when to use the other glyphs, there are plenty of situations where fire won't cut it.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Dwarf in the Playground

The default should never be your only choice though.
    If you're lazy enough to learn all the glyphs from the start,it might be.It's a GOOD option in most situations.Might not be the best one,but it's good and it works.
    And that takes away most of complexity from mystic.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Guides are usually designed to make the most of a character. When versatility is on the table, generally you'll be better off using it to its fullest. It's why people generally consider wizards better than sorcerers.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Ettin in the Playground

Well,you kinda need to have psionics allowed and psionic items freely available,but yes.
    Well, you're using DSP material already, so...
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Well, you're using DSP material already, so...
    Oh,i have very biased perspective.You see,incorporating Path of War into Golarion(or anywhere,really) is so easy it requires no work at all.
    Incorporating Akashic Mysteries is harder.You can write it off as"barbaric shamanism that always been here,just nobody cared",but it's somewhat a stretch.
    Psionics is harder still.
    This problem,of course,is non-existent in most other settings.Psionics has been a part of Faerun or Eberron right from the start.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Oh,i have very biased perspective.You see,incorporating Path of War into Golarion(or anywhere,really) is so easy it requires no work at all.
    Incorporating Akashic Mysteries is harder.You can write it off as"barbaric shamanism that always been here,just nobody cared",but it's somewhat a stretch.
    This problem,of course,is non-existent in most other settings.Psionics has been a part of Faerun or Eberron right from the start.
    I disagree. You just say "So psionics is a thing in our campaign." Then your players say "Really?" and you say "Yep." and they say "OK." and then you never actually get around to playing because you all work too much.

10. - Top - End - #430

It's just another kind of magic. Don't try explaining every little supernatural thing as arcane/divine in the everyday magics in your societies and you'll have space to add every magic that isn't blatantly dissonant.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Elan conspiracy did it.
    or
    Natural psionicists thinks they are sorcerers with still and silent spell, none are exactly willing to submit to wizard universities to compare number of goblins they killed in their life (aka amount of exp) to level of 'spells' they are casting, and/or wizards are not keen on touching dirty sorcerers either.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Titan in the Playground

Most settings don't fully account for the societal effects of the available magics (and other mechanics) in them anyway. And most splatbook magic systems do roughly the same sort of things as corebook magic. Between those two facts it shouldn't be remotely difficult to fit new systems in.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #433
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Most settings don't fully account for the societal effects of the available magics (and other mechanics) in them anyway.
    Eberron and Faerun do.Greyhawk incorporated not only psionics,but blasters and power armor,too.
    It's not that i don't allow psionics in Golarion.That would be stupid.But there is a difference between"yes,you can play as Zealot"and "psionic items are widely available in large cities".
    Fortunately,there is Rajah.Which can summon a magic djinni which can and will sell you ANY items,from anywhere in the multiverse!Even if you don't want or need them!
    Is there anything Rajah can't do?

14. - Top - End - #434

Daemon

I just realized there isn't a music themed discipline.

I'd dig that, though mainly because I want a spell-less Skald.
    DMs only roll dice for the sound they make

15. - Top - End - #435
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Eberron and Faerun do.Greyhawk incorporated not only psionics,but blasters and power armor,too.
    It's not that i don't allow psionics in Golarion.That would be stupid.But there is a difference between"yes,you can play as Zealot"and "psionic items are widely available in large cities".
    Fortunately,there is Rajah.Which can summon a magic djinni which can and will sell you ANY items,from anywhere in the multiverse!Even if you don't want or need them!
    Is there anything Rajah can't do?
    Again, I find myself disagreeing with you. Eberron does a good shake at trying to explore the effects of magical effects and items on a society, but Faerun certainly does not. It remains in medieval stasis like so many other places despite having arguably the highest concentration of high level NPCs of any setting.

Additionally, I don't see any reason why you can't have psionic items available in large cities if you can have zealots in the campaign. If there's one psionic guy, why wouldn't there be more? Nothing in the fluff implies that psionics are any rarer than other forms of magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Wartex1 View Post
    I just realized there isn't a music themed discipline.

I'd dig that, though mainly because I want a spell-less Skald.
    I guess you have a project for this week then.

16. - Top - End - #436

Daemon

Darn you PoW for being so interesting to inspire Homebrew which I'll likely never get to use.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Darn you PoW for being so interesting to inspire Homebrew which I'll likely never get to use.
    Well if you want to write stuff people are likely to use, there's a whole bunch of stuff that needs written for these guides.

18. - Top - End - #438

Daemon

Well if you want to write stuff people are likely to use, there's a whole bunch of stuff that needs written for these guides.
    Yeah but that requires me to actually understand the stuff I don't care about.

But I am genuinely surprised that I didn't realize there was a music or sound based discipline when there's stuff like whatever Radiant Dawn is supposed to be.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Yeah but that requires me to actually understand the stuff I don't care about.

But I am genuinely surprised that I didn't realize there was a music or sound based discipline when there's stuff like whatever Radiant Dawn is supposed to be.
    I keep saying this stuff is pretty simple. Even the things you don't care about. As long as you hit the major points it's nice to at least have something for people to work off of.

If there isn't something in PoW it's probably because nobody thought of it or nobody wanted to do it. Kinda how it goes when you're working with a bunch of artists.

20. - Top - End - #440
    Dwarf in the Playground

Again, I find myself disagreeing with you.
    No,you've just misunderstood my point.It's not about exploring effects and whatnot,but...
    Eberron has the whole continent of them psionic creatures,so psionics is widely available.
    Faerun has like two fallen psionic empires,so psionic items are widely available from logic standpoint.
    Golarion has pretty much nothing for some dumb reason,unless i missed some sourcebook.We can have lasers,railguns,thermonuclear reactors and frikkin Godzilla,but not psionics.
    They are on another planet,and i wish i was joking.
    Additionally, I don't see any reason why you can't have psionic items available in large cities if you can have zealots in the campaign. If there's one psionic guy, why wouldn't there be more?
    Because having what essentially a psionic fighter or two doesn't mean that there are cabals of psionic wizards mass-producing psionic items.
    Ring of Swimming,Improved sells good enough if my random rolls are to be believed.
    Fortunately,in Union apparently the situation is quite different.

21. - Top - End - #441
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

No,you've just misunderstood my point.It's not about exploring effects and whatnot,but...
    Eberron has the whole continent of them psionic creatures,so psionics is widely available.
    Faerun has like two fallen psionic empires,so psionic items are widely available from logic standpoint.
    Golarion has pretty much nothing for some dumb reason,unless i missed some sourcebook.We can have lasers,railguns,thermonuclear reactors and frikkin Godzilla,but not psionics.
    They are on another planet,and i wish i was joking.
    Yes, I'm familiar with Golarion's lore. And I don't think I've misunderstood your point at all. My point is that you're the DM and doing a "Find+Replace" on one country's magic to change it to psionics is easy as pie to do.

Because having what essentially a psionic fighter or two doesn't mean that there are cabals of psionic wizards mass-producing psionic items.
    Ring of Swimming,Improved sells good enough if my random rolls are to be believed.
    Fortunately,in Union apparently the situation is quite different.
    Except that those "psionic fighters" are perfectly capable of crafting psionic items. And as such, if they exist then it's entirely logical to assume that the psionic items they are capable of crafting exist as well.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yes, I'm familiar with Golarion's lore. And I don't think I've misunderstood your point at all. My point is that you're the DM and doing a "Find+Replace" on one country's magic to change it to psionics is easy as pie to do.
    Not as easy as getting the job done for you,as in case of Eberron.
    Moreover,if the campaign is half a planet away from that country,then psionics might as well be on the other planet where it really is.
    Whereas Akasha was always here(wherever"here"might be),just nobody paid attention to it,and Warlord is just a fighter with a good teacher.
    Except that those "psionic fighters" are perfectly capable of crafting psionic items. And as such, if they exist then it's entirely logical to assume that the psionic items they are capable of crafting exist as well.
    Wait,since when Zealots even have manifester level?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyaa View Post
    Elan conspiracy did it.
    This might work though.Everybody knows that bards are pure evil.Especially Daring Hero ones.
    Last edited by Draacul; 2017-09-24 at 04:47 PM.

23. - Top - End - #443

Daemon

Wait, so what is DSP's policy regarding homebrew submissions and whatnot?

24. - Top - End - #444
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Wait, so what is DSP's policy regarding homebrew submissions and whatnot?
    They don't really have one as far as I remember. If you look on their website I think there's information on how to contact them. I got involved with PoW:E because they appreciated my guides and stuff during the PoW playtest.

25. - Top - End - #445

Daemon

Cool, so I might make a new discipline and matching archetypes for the Skald and Warlord (Warlord archetype would combine Skald and Bard performances but with a few unique elements and no spells). And then maybe some other archetypes for the improvised weapon discipline I already made.

26. - Top - End - #446

Daemon

How does a sequence mechanic sound for a music-themed discipline?

Like, each maneuver has one of three properties: Sharp, Flat, Natural. And, whenever maneuvers with these properties are played in a sequence, they give a small passive bonus. Say, a sharp then a flat gives a +2 bonus to Reflex Saves, a sharp then another sharp gives a +2 bonus to damage rolls, and a sharp then a natural gives a +1 bonus to attack rolls.

These bonuses stack, but only 3 bonuses can be present at a time, but one can also prematurely eliminate every active bonus by using a Finale Maneuver, which consumes the bonuses for greater power.

Alternatively (and maybe for a bit of simplicity), there's only two properties two maneuvers (Major or Minor Key) and instead of stacking bonuses, three in a sequence gives a unique bonus (and it's easier to name since I can use typical terms like Fugue for Triple Minor or Aria for Triple Major) and Finale's aren't a thing (or are just repurposed into something else).

Any thoughts?

Also, I need a name for it. I'm leaning Brutal Ballad, but we already have a BB discipline. (If others are curious about the other discipline I already made, it's named Peasant Fork)

27. - Top - End - #447
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

How does a sequence mechanic sound for a music-themed discipline?

Like, each maneuver has one of three properties: Sharp, Flat, Natural. And, whenever maneuvers with these properties are played in a sequence, they give a small passive bonus. Say, a sharp then a flat gives a +2 bonus to Reflex Saves, a sharp then another sharp gives a +2 bonus to damage rolls, and a sharp then a natural gives a +1 bonus to attack rolls.

These bonuses stack, but only 3 bonuses can be present at a time, but one can also prematurely eliminate every active bonus by using a Finale Maneuver, which consumes the bonuses for greater power.

Alternatively (and maybe for a bit of simplicity), there's only two properties two maneuvers (Major or Minor Key) and instead of stacking bonuses, three in a sequence gives a unique bonus (and it's easier to name since I can use typical terms like Fugue for Triple Minor or Aria for Triple Major) and Finale's aren't a thing (or are just repurposed into something else).

Any thoughts?

Also, I need a name for it. I'm leaning Brutal Ballad, but we already have a BB discipline. (If others are curious about the other discipline I already made, it's named Peasant Fork)
    Sorry, but I'd like to keep this thread as much about published path of war material and the guides as possible.

28. - Top - End - #448

Daemon

Okay.

Can I put a link to a different thread in the Homebrew Forum then?

29. - Top - End - #449
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Okay.

Can I put a link to a different thread in the Homebrew Forum then?
    Sure. That's fine with me.

30. - Top - End - #450

Daemon

Tada: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...f-War-Homebrew

I also saw Elric's homebrew discipline. I'll comment on that once I've had enough time to absorb it.