New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: All the Path of War Guides in One Place!

I'm confused by the guide, the errata and the SRD on the subject of the Dragon Fury's disciplines. The guide says they get Broken Blade, Thrashing Dragon and Primal Fury, the Errata says that's changed to Thrashing Dragon, Primal Fury and 2 extras, but the SRD says Mithral Current, Thrashing Dragon, Primal Fury and 2 others.

I'm confused about which is correct, and also if the SRD is correct, why? Where does Mithral Current come from, Broken Blade seems way more appropriate, especially since the SRD still says you get the bonus counters for Broken Blade counters in Dance of Thrashing Claws.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Genth View Post
    I'm confused by the guide, the errata and the SRD on the subject of the Dragon Fury's disciplines. The guide says they get Broken Blade, Thrashing Dragon and Primal Fury, the Errata says that's changed to Thrashing Dragon, Primal Fury and 2 extras, but the SRD says Mithral Current, Thrashing Dragon, Primal Fury and 2 others.

I'm confused about which is correct, and also if the SRD is correct, why? Where does Mithral Current come from, Broken Blade seems way more appropriate, especially since the SRD still says you get the bonus counters for Broken Blade counters in Dance of Thrashing Claws.
    The Errata would be the most recent and correct set of information. It is incomplete as of right now, so I've been putting off adding its changes to the guides. I have no control over the SRD and no idea where they got Mithral Current from.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Any idea why they bumped broken blade off the list but kept it as giving bonuses still for the other abilities?

4. - Top - End - #454
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Any idea why they bumped broken blade off the list but kept it as giving bonuses still for the other abilities?
    Nope. No idea. Like I said, it isn't complete yet.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wartex1 View Post
    Tada: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...f-War-Homebrew

I also saw Elric's homebrew discipline. I'll comment on that once I've had enough time to absorb it.
    Ya, so when ya gonna get on dat homeslice?

6. - Top - End - #456
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

When I have time and am awake.
    DMs only roll dice for the sound they make

7. - Top - End - #457

Daemon

Tomorrow I should get most of the work done. Finished homework early and don't have any exams to study for, so anyone with critiques or suggestions get them in soon please.
    DMs only roll dice for the sound they make

8. - Top - End - #458

Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla View Post
    The Errata would be the most recent and correct set of information. It is incomplete as of right now, so I've been putting off adding its changes to the guides. I have no control over the SRD and no idea where they got Mithral Current from.
    The errata mentions their original PoW disciplines, but they got mithral current as a bonus in PoW:E and somebody forgot to clarify if it sticks around or not?

9. - Top - End - #459
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

*grumble grumble* As said, the guide has yet to be updated for the errata. It's on my to-do list, though much of the guide could use an overhaul.

10. - Top - End - #460

Is the SRD wrong or is the guide for the Stalker missing any mention of the Dodge Bonus ability giving Wis as dodge bonus to AC when recovering maneuvers as a full-round action?

11. - Top - End - #461
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Insanity View Post
    Is the SRD wrong or is the guide for the Stalker missing any mention of the Dodge Bonus ability giving Wis as dodge bonus to AC when recovering maneuvers as a full-round action?
    Fixed it. Whitespace

12. - Top - End - #462

Considering your evaluation of the Wis to AC bonus, we can assume it won't have an impact on the Soul Hunter archetype's rating (since it loses it)?
    Last edited by The Insanity; 2017-10-28 at 12:32 PM.

13. - Top - End - #463
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Insanity View Post
    Considering your evaluation of the Wis to AC bonus, we can assume it won't have an impact on the Soul Hunter archetype's rating (since it loses it)?
    I would say no. Since you can easily build a stalker that never needs to spend a full round action recovering maneuvers, the WIS to AC bonus really doesn't come up very much.

14. - Top - End - #464
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

I would say no. Since you can easily build a stalker that never needs to spend a full round action recovering maneuvers, the WIS to AC bonus really doesn't come up very much.
    Hmm, how would you go about doing that? The only thing I can think of is getting access to Sleeping Goddess, getting Psionic Meditation and Sleeping Goddess Style, and then using move actions to restore 1 maneuver each, but this comes with a hefty mobility cost, and two weapon fighting will also be a lot less useful.

Also, (probably a really basic question), am I reading it right that the deadly strike damage is applied to all attacks (i.e. whenever an attack roll is made). So two weapon fighting gives me two attacks, so apply the bonus twice? Same for BAB extra attacks?

In addition, how up to date is the stalker guide? I can see that it still uses the unnerfed Combat Precognition stalker art, where it lasts initiation modifier rounds instead of just the 1 round. Also, what would be your opinion of the Ninja Trick 'Pressure Points' (through Stalker Art > Rogue Talent > Ninja Trick), for Str or Dex damage on Deadly Strike? Because if the deadly strike damage applies on each attack, this seems REALLY powerful. Even without that, actually, so I'm wondering if I'm missing something obvious.

Love your guides, by the way.

15. - Top - End - #465
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Vans View Post
    Hmm, how would you go about doing that? The only thing I can think of is getting access to Sleeping Goddess, getting Psionic Meditation and Sleeping Goddess Style, and then using move actions to restore 1 maneuver each, but this comes with a hefty mobility cost, and two weapon fighting will also be a lot less useful.

Also, (probably a really basic question), am I reading it right that the deadly strike damage is applied to all attacks (i.e. whenever an attack roll is made). So two weapon fighting gives me two attacks, so apply the bonus twice? Same for BAB extra attacks?

In addition, how up to date is the stalker guide? I can see that it still uses the unnerfed Combat Precognition stalker art, where it lasts initiation modifier rounds instead of just the 1 round. Also, what would be your opinion of the Ninja Trick 'Pressure Points' (through Stalker Art > Rogue Talent > Ninja Trick), for Str or Dex damage on Deadly Strike? Because if the deadly strike damage applies on each attack, this seems REALLY powerful. Even without that, actually, so I'm wondering if I'm missing something obvious.

Love your guides, by the way.
    Victorious Recovery. If your GM is prone to extra long fights, an iteration of lightning recovery may also be helpful. Very few fights last long enough that you would need to recover maneuvers more than once, and given the Stalker's strong kill focus, getting off a Victorious Recovery isn't too difficult. At 12th level and above a stalker can recover one maneuver as a non-action after scoring a critical hit (you didn't think we gave you that expanded crit range for nothing did you?).

On top of that, Eternal Guardian Endurance will let you recover a maneuver when you reduce a cursed enemy to 0 hit points. Feat intensive, and out of style for most stalkers, but Eternal Guardian is actually decently flavorful when combined with say Cursed Razor and Veiled Moon.

Deadly Strike damage is applied to all attacks for as long as you have your deadly strikes up and running.

The up-to-date-ness is a bit in flux. The errata isn't "complete" yet so I was waiting for the full errata before doing the updates.

Pressure Points applies to sneak attack damage, not precision damage. It would only work on a vigilante archetyped stalker. Deadly Strikes is precision damage, but it is not sneak attack damage.

16. - Top - End - #466

Elric, do you happen to be in the know as to the status of the discipline errata?

17. - Top - End - #467
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by exelsisxax View Post
    Elric, do you happen to be in the know as to the status of the discipline errata?
    Nope. I'm as in the dark as you are.

18. - Top - End - #468

Nope. I'm as in the dark as you are.
    Well then here's to the vain hope of a christmas surprise.

19. - Top - End - #469
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Thanks for the answer!

Victorious Recovery. If your GM is prone to extra long fights, an iteration of lightning recovery may also be helpful. Very few fights last long enough that you would need to recover maneuvers more than once, and given the Stalker's strong kill focus, getting off a Victorious Recovery isn't too difficult. At 12th level and above a stalker can recover one maneuver as a non-action after scoring a critical hit (you didn't think we gave you that expanded crit range for nothing did you?).
    I must have overlooked Victorious Recovery, it looks quite nice. I can see how a lot of combat will finish before needing more than that.
    On top of that, Eternal Guardian Endurance will let you recover a maneuver when you reduce a cursed enemy to 0 hit points. Feat intensive, and out of style for most stalkers, but Eternal Guardian is actually decently flavorful when combined with say Cursed Razor and Veiled Moon.
    Eternal Guardian does have some nice moves, but I already made my stalker a servant of the hymn, so I don't see him picking up Eternal Guardian and / or Cursed Razor anytime soon.
    Deadly Strike damage is applied to all attacks for as long as you have your deadly strikes up and running.

The up-to-date-ness is a bit in flux. The errata isn't "complete" yet so I was waiting for the full errata before doing the updates.
    I didn't realize there were more errata announced-but-not-out-yet.
    Pressure Points applies to sneak attack damage, not precision damage. It would only work on a vigilante archetyped stalker. Deadly Strikes is precision damage, but it is not sneak attack damage.
    Pressure Points applies to sneak attack, but the Stalker Art "Rogue Talent" says "Talents that apply to a rogue’s sneak attack apply to a stalker’s deadly strike ability". So it's a pretty nice debuff.

20. - Top - End - #470
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Vans View Post
    I didn't realize there were more errata announced-but-not-out-yet.
    We have the class mechanics errata, part two will be the maneuvers & stances errata. Aka likely tuning down Primal Fury, Broken Blade, etc, and tuning up Steel Serpent among other cleanups that have been mentioned over time.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The Rajah Guide has been added to the list of Class Guides. Please review and offer suggestions for anything I've missed.

Now we just need to get a Medic Guide up there and we'll have one for all the currently extant PoW classes (wink, wink, nudge, nudge, kick in the head, kick in the head).

I'll be populating all the other guides with updated discipline reviews as well over the next few minutes.

EDIT:

I also noticed that the Mithral Current discipline guide is a bit out of date, and since I'm the author of said discipline I won't update it myself. If someone wants to go through and give it a once over it would be greatly appreciated.

22. - Top - End - #472
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hey Elricaltovilla, great guides, I just wanted to let you know that the Piercing Thunder Discipline is not on any of the guides besides the zealot and the new rajah guide (which looks great, can we expect to see a medic guide in the future?). I'm just asking because it seems like a pretty glaring error (no offense), and also because I am wondering whether to pick eternal guardian or piercing thunder for my new Zweihander Sentinel I am making. If you have some reason you don't want to at P.T., but at least could you tell me which one I should do for my sentinel(personally, I am leaning towards eternal guardian). Again, sorry for the minor gripe, great guide, keep making amazing content for this amazing game.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CthulhuEscobar View Post
    Hey Elricaltovilla, great guides, I just wanted to let you know that the Piercing Thunder Discipline is not on any of the guides besides the zealot and the new rajah guide (which looks great, can we expect to see a medic guide in the future?). I'm just asking because it seems like a pretty glaring error (no offense), and also because I am wondering whether to pick eternal guardian or piercing thunder for my new Zweihander Sentinel I am making. If you have some reason you don't want to at P.T., but at least could you tell me which one I should do for my sentinel(personally, I am leaning towards eternal guardian). Again, sorry for the minor gripe, great guide, keep making amazing content for this amazing game.
    Some stuff (detailed on the first post of this thread) I cannot write guides for as I was a major contributing author for, so someone else will have to write a Medic Guide (I've been trying to get someone to do it for a long time now, no luck). As for Piercing Thunder, I think it just didn't get propagated properly, I'll take care of that later on today.

Personally I'd recommend Eternal Guardian if you want to tank more, and Piercing Thunder if you prefer mobility/damage or want a more mundane feel.

EDIT:

The Zealot Guide is the only one with Piercing Thunder because it's a guide not written by me. PT was one of those things I worked a little to closely on to be able to provide an objective viewpoint. Maybe some kind soul will come along and write a guide for it for general use.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Some stuff (detailed on the first post of this thread) I cannot write guides for as I was a major contributing author for, so someone else will have to write a Medic Guide (I've been trying to get someone to do it for a long time now, no luck). As for Piercing Thunder, I think it just didn't get propagated properly, I'll take care of that later on today.

Personally I'd recommend Eternal Guardian if you want to tank more, and Piercing Thunder if you prefer mobility/damage or want a more mundane feel.
    Thanks, I will take Eternal Guardian. Yeh, I know how that feels not being able to do guides for your own products. I did some 5e stuff and I tpained me not to able to write a guide for it.

25. - Top - End - #475
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CthulhuEscobar View Post
    Thanks, I will take Eternal Guardian. Yeh, I know how that feels not being able to do guides for your own products. I did some 5e stuff and I tpained me not to able to write a guide for it.
    It's certainly a sad fact of life, isn't it?

26. - Top - End - #476
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Rajah Guide has been added to the list of Class Guides. Please review and offer suggestions for anything I've missed.
    Can i critique some of stuff that wasn't missed,namely ratings on a few things?
    Last edited by Draacul; 2018-04-08 at 02:52 PM.

27. - Top - End - #477
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Draacul View Post
    Can i critique some of stuff that wasn't missed,namely ratings on a few things?
    If you feel there's something important I've missed or misinterpreted, then go ahead. I won't make any promises to change anything, but I take everything under consideration.

28. - Top - End - #478
    Dwarf in the Playground

If you feel there's something important I've missed or misinterpreted, then go ahead. I won't make any promises to change anything, but I take everything under consideration.
    First i'd like to note that you place Dex WAY too high for something that is not(unless Batal)a frontline combatant.Rajah(crown of sky sovereign one,at least) has no incentive to be in the front.
    And,in fact,he's penalized for being there trying to hit somebody in the face.
    Next,The Sniper...
    " but other than providing unusual attack vectors, does little to actually improve what they can do or make them better at their jobs"
    So,unusual attack vector,first and foremost,NEGATES COVER.That's +4 to attack roll right there.And it does so right from the start,as opposed to IPS coming online at end of the campaign.
    Next,when you miss-you get attack against another target,which is worth...well,one attack at the very least!When attack in question carries a strike this is worth even more.
    And then essence investment can further reduce attack roll penalties...
    In the end,this is one of the best attack-buffing veils out there...and it's rated lower than veil that allows one to jump really high.
    Last edited by Draacul; 2018-04-08 at 03:42 PM.

29. - Top - End - #479
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Draacul View Post
    First i'd like to note that you place Dex WAY too high for something that is not(unless Batal)a frontline combatant.Rajah(crown of sky sovereign one,at least) has no incentive to be in the front.
    And,in fact,he's penalized for being there trying to hit somebody in the face.
    Next,The Sniper...
    " but other than providing unusual attack vectors, does little to actually improve what they can do or make them better at their jobs"
    So,unusual attack vector,first and foremost,NEGATES COVER.That's +4 to attack roll right there.And it does so right from the start,as opposed to IPS coming online at end of the campaign.
    Next,when you miss-you get attack against another target,which is worth...well,one attack at the very least!When attack in question carries a strike this is worth even more.
    And then essence investment can further reduce attack roll penalties...
    In the end,this is one of the best attack-buffing veils out there...and it's rated lower than veil that allows one to jump really high.

The Rajah needs DEX for the same reason that the wizard and sorcerer need DEX: AC, Saves and Initiative. But even more so because the Rajah's abilities very much require them to be within 25 ft. of combat, which is well within walking or charging distance for most creatures. Unless you know of some way to guarantee that your Rajah will never be the target of an enemy attack, I highly recommend DEX investment because otherwise you will get targeted and you will get hit. Might as well try to hold that day off a little longer.

As for The Sniper, I may be a bit harsh, but it really offers a lot less than you think it does, especially with other PoW stuff on the table. Plenty of Archers can ignore cover right from level 1 or veryearly on, with this only increasing as you level.

In addition, ignoring cover is the removal of a penalty, not the addition of a bonus. The default state is "no cover" and enough combats happen where cover is not applied that The Sniper's ability to ignore cover is less significant than you might think. If your Game Master makes heavy use of cover, then yes, it becomes much better. But it is a conditional benefit that relies on there being cover for you to ignore. This holds for everything regarding the penalties that the Sniper reduces, because ignoring those penalties doesn't make you more accurate, it makes you less inaccurate, i.e. you cannot go above 0.

Gaining an attack against a different target when you miss is nice sure, but often you are attacking a specific target because that is the target you need to hit, which makes the alternative target little more than a consolation prize and a potential disruption to your party's plans. As such, its benefit is minor and entirely negated if there is not another valid target available.

Compounding this is the need for line of sight and line of effect. Anything that blocks either one of those (such as mist, fog, invisible walls, etc.) can prevent you from getting your cover negating angle of attack. And because this is not up to you, but rather, the will of the GM, it becomes a game of "mother may I" which is something I generally try to avoid recommending one play.

The last bit of reason I dislike the Sniper is because of its "first range increment" stipulation. This makes it drastically better for Archers than other ranged weapon users, which limits its effectiveness further and makes it less party friendly on a class that needs to be able to support anyone in order to get the most out of its play potential.

I may be a bit overly harsh, but I find that the sniper offers too little for its opportunity cost. It is situationally useful at best.

30. - Top - End - #480
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Demiurge is missing from the guide. I think it's one of the most important veils for a Rajah to use once they can bind it, because it allows you to reshape titles as needed. No need to be stuck with the same titles for the entire day! As far as I know, the only other class capable of doing that is Vizier, and only a few times per day.

The Twin isn't plural.

I think the Batal's Mandate is purple. Once you've expended 4 maneuvers, you can use it as a move action, and it's a good attack. 4d6+cha damage to an enemy and THP to an ally for a move action while refreshing maneuvers is pretty incredible. If you expend 2 maneuvers per round, like with a strike and boost/counter, you can use Batal's Mandate every 2 rounds. The only initiator that does it better is Zealot.

Black Seraph ... Many maneuvers deal profane damage, which does an extra 50% damage to good aligned creatures.
    Broken Blade maneuvers can only be initiated while wielding a Broken Blade Discipline Weapon or Unarmed Strike.
    Silver Crane ... offers most of the healing maneuvers available in Path of War. Many maneuvers deal sacred damage, which does 50% more damage to evil creatures
    Not anymore.

The description for Sun's Gleam needs some fixing. It's close range and works only with ranged weapon maneuvers you could invest essence into, not any maneuver. So you need High Noon, Sunrise, or Sunset to use it with non-RD maneuvers. You should mention that up with the descriptions of those feats. Also mention that it's force damage, can be used with strength for attack rolls, and anybody can exchange a discipline for RD.

Even though you haven't put items in the guide, you really should mention the Amulet of War. It's a serious gamechanger that people looking to play Rajah should know about. Maybe put it in the Vassalage section.