New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: All the Path of War Guides in One Place!

It does still need updated though. I need to make time to properly update everything, but between work and DSP stuff, I don't have the free time to tackle all the little edits I need to make.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla View Post
    It does still need updated though. I need to make time to properly update everything, but between work and DSP stuff, I don't have the free time to tackle all the little edits I need to make.
    I think I started writing down some of them I noticed. I will try to find that.
    Do you need our help at all? If yes, post them here or in private message?

EDIT: Found it

Spoiler: Noticed mistakes
    Show

Spoiler: Black Seraph
    Show
    7th level - Charge of the Ravager: I think the restriction of targeting different foes with every attack does not apply to primary target of your charge, you get to make full attack AND punch some other unlucky dudes, once per enemy in case you case change the direction of your charge

8th level - Vampiric Aura: As I read it, it stacks with itself, granting you HP for every target in range but refreshing that HP every round

8th level - Void Seraph Strike: How does it protect your target? The miss chance applies to your target's attacks, not to attacks made versus him

Spoiler: Broken Blade
    Show
    Subject to rework, so it I am not going to look at it it now

Spoiler: Cursed Razor
    Show
    3th level - Dogpile Strike: As I understand, the target does not need to be flanked, only cursed to have the chance to be knocked prone

4th level - Warlock's Stride: That's not the question about your guide but I'd like to clarify whether the cursed aura is visible for others

5th level - Festering Curse: The text does not mention that the damage stops when your target succeeds on save, only that the damage for that round is negated

7th level - Traitor's Roar: You may want to mention that the target has to make "whatever it percieves as the most harmful ability possible". Although it is very DM-dependent even in that case

8th level - Warlock's Mirror: You redirect the attack not to one but to three targets of your choice. Don't know if you missed that or simply decided not to write about it

I am not going to argue about your ratings, that's more or less subjective thing. But I will write here some maneuvers in which I noticed some kind of mistake or need for clarification.

EDIT 2: Damn, did not see your reply . Anyways, it is done now
    Last edited by Dgrin; 2015-04-23 at 02:39 PM.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dgrin View Post
    I think I started writing down some of them I noticed. I will try to find that.
    Do you need our help at all? If yes, post them here or in private message?
    Hang on to them for now. What I might do when I have some free time is open the docs up for comments/suggestions so people can go in and suggest corrections directly in the document. That way I can just go through and accept/reject people's suggested changes. Makes things quicker and easier than running through a bunch of PMs or forum posts. Obviously, I'll include big thank yous for anyone who helps out!

4. - Top - End - #124
    Pixie in the Playground

How do Stances work out of combat?

(Apologies if this is answered elsewhere--I've Googled a bit but haven't found an answer.)

Lines like this (from System & Use) imply one might be in a stance all day long:

A stance remains in effect indefinitely and is never expended. The benefit of your chosen stance continues until you change to another stance you know as a swift action.
    Though this implies there could be some limit, or at least that they're intended for combat more than out of combat:

A stance is a type of fighting method that you maintain from round to round. So long as you stay in a stance, you gain some benefit from it. A martial disciple who performs a kata and assumes a specific posture as he prepares to fight is using a stance.
    Lets take as an example this stance from the Shattered Mirror discipline (which was just released in the Harbinger PDF but isn't yet on the PFSRD).

Silvered Mirror Stance (Su): When you assume this stance, choose a single non-personal range power, psi-like ability, spell, or spell-like ability affecting you. While you maintain this stance, allies within 30 feet of you also gain the benefits of the chosen effect for as long as it is affecting you
    This would be an amazing way to share buffs out of combat, e.g. casting Overland Flight or Stoneskin on the Harbinger and getting it for free on any ally within 30'. What are the limits to this?

5. - Top - End - #125
    Pixie in the Playground

As an aside, just realized that Tenebrous Reach + an ability to strike everyone in your reach (e.g. Broken Blade's Spinning Flurry Rush) could get incredibly nutty: Punching everyone within 50' (twice!!)

6. - Top - End - #126
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jff362 View Post
    How do Stances work out of combat?

(Apologies if this is answered elsewhere--I've Googled a bit but haven't found an answer.)

Lines like this (from System & Use) imply one might be in a stance all day long:

Though this implies there could be some limit, or at least that they're intended for combat more than out of combat:

Lets take as an example this stance from the Shattered Mirror discipline (which was just released in the Harbinger PDF but isn't yet on the PFSRD).

This would be an amazing way to share buffs out of combat, e.g. casting Overland Flight or Stoneskin on the Harbinger and getting it for free on any ally within 30'. What are the limits to this?
    OK, got my answer: one can indeed stay in a stance from the moment you wake up to the time you go to sleep (or go unconscious or are otherwise made helpless).

7. - Top - End - #127
    Pixie in the Playground

I've been kicking around ideas for a Path of War character for a while now, and I recently fell in love with the Eternal Guardian discipline from the playtest. The only real issue with it is that I'm not big on the Zealot, but I know I can sub a discipline out in another class for it.

I've been eyeing Zweihander Warder for a while as well, as the idea of the 'Zone of Nope' appeals to me (I played a similar character as a Jedi in SAGA edition Star Wars), and was wondering if anyone had any reccomendations for this combination.

I'm also afraid Eternal Guardian on Warder might be a little redundant as they cover some of the same ground, and I'm not sure what kinds of things I should look to use out of other disciplines (I know I can resonably expect to use stuff from 1 other, and Counters from Iron Tortoise seem a likely candidate).

Thoughts anyone?
    Come visit my youtube channel ADark Gamer; Currently hosting multiple Let's Plays, I'm hoping to get enough subscribers that it becomes worthwhile to branch out into other areas like Tabletop Gaming vlogs.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Halfling in the Playground

Beholder

Old thread, but relevant question: do you intent to update these guides with the recent revision of Zealot, Sleeping Goddess and Eternal Guardian? Or are the revisions so minor that this is not required?

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by mostholycerebus View Post
    Old thread, but relevant question: do you intent to update these guides with the recent revision of Zealot, Sleeping Goddess and Eternal Guardian? Or are the revisions so minor that this is not required?
    Every guide will be updated after PoW:E is finished to include the new material from that book. Right now there isn't much point in updating the guides yet. Depending on forum rules I might have to post them all in a new thread though. We'll see.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

And if you can add things like analysis of the Crane discipline (Maybe you did and I missed it)
    And I think some maneuvers were changed after you did the guides too.
    Thanks to Kurien for drawing my avatar, and NightWolf16a for coloring it.

Spoiler: The master lurker
    Show

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Renen View Post
    And if you can add things like analysis of the Crane discipline (Maybe you did and I missed it)
    And I think some maneuvers were changed after you did the guides too.
    A lot has changed. There's going to be major overhauling done once I get around to updating these guides. Obviously, help is appreciated.

Silver Crane should be in the Initiating Introduction Guide, which has ratings for all the disciplines.

12. - Top - End - #132

Beholder

Awesome, thanks for the response and eventual update. Really looking forward to release of this book.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Pixie in the Playground

Hey there. I'm building a 2nd level Warder with a 15pt buy. I see the recc to put CON and INT first, followed by STR. I am willing to dump CHA below 10 but really reluctant to do so with WIS or DEX. We'll do max HP at 1st, 1/2+1 after that, so at 2nd he'd have 12+7+CON+fcb. With a +2 from CON he'd have 31 HP (or 33, with fcb).

I'm leaning toward either
    STR: 14(16) DEX: 9 CON: 14 INT: 16 WIS: 10 CHA: 7 (putting +2 into STR)

OR
    STR: 15 DEX: 12 CON: 14 INT: 14(16) WIS: 10 CHA: 7 (putting +2 into INT)

I see your recommend to max CON in order to max tankiness...and I haven't played the class or seen it played so I'm sure there's a bunch I'm missing...but would you really bump CON higher for this build? More broadly, what overall 15pt buy might you consider? It's so hard for me to imagine a martial character with a 14 STR, which is I think the max I can get if I bump up CON...but maybe I'm thinking too much about Fighters and not understanding how different a Warder (or PoW in general) plays?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
    Last edited by jff362; 2015-09-11 at 03:04 AM.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sorry to bug you, but is the Black Seraph information in the guide outdated? Black Seraph Onslaught is one of my favorite maneuvers, and I've had it confirmed as "Pounce, and you can attack every enemy you threaten while moving", rather than "Pounce, but split between multiple enemies".

EDIT: And Broken Blade still has the discipline weapon restriction. Are you going to be update at any point, or are you leaving it as is?

RE-EDIT: Okay, right. Rereading the maneuver I can see how you got confused because I actually made the same mistake. I asked a while ago, and the intention is that you may only make one attack on each ADDITIONAL target, thus why the first line still says 'full attack'.
    Last edited by Taveena; 2015-09-11 at 04:18 AM.
    Incredible avatar made by Ceika.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jff362 View Post
    15pt buy
    Play a wizard or summoner.

Ahem. I'd probably put 5 points into str, con and int (making them 14), dump cha to 8 or 7 and increase wis and maybe dex to 12 with these points. Racial +2 goes to str.

Or use your second array, but put +2 into str.

There's a new thread specifically for builds.

16. - Top - End - #136

Quote Originally Posted by Taveena View Post
    Sorry to bug you, but is the Black Seraph information in the guide outdated? Black Seraph Onslaught is one of my favorite maneuvers, and I've had it confirmed as "Pounce, and you can attack every enemy you threaten while moving", rather than "Pounce, but split between multiple enemies".
    I take it you're actually talking about the 7th level Charge of the Ravager, not the 9th level Black Seraph Onslaught (which doesn't include any charging as far as I can tell)? Or has this been changed in some way by recent errata I somehow missed and that doesn't yet up show on d20pfsrd?

EDIT: And Broken Blade still has the discipline weapon restriction. Are you going to be update at any point, or are you leaving it as is?

RE-EDIT: Okay, right. Rereading the maneuver I can see how you got confused because I actually made the same mistake. I asked a while ago, and the intention is that you may only make one attack on each ADDITIONAL target, thus why the first line still says 'full attack'.
    Updates will happen once PoW:E has been released according to Elric's posts above.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

I recall them saying that the restriction was removed, but it didn't make it into the PDF version. Same thing with Scarlet Throne only working with Einhander/Two Handing (though Scarlet Einhander still has the restriction, of course)
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

18. - Top - End - #138

Quote Originally Posted by upho View Post
    I take it you're actually talking about the 7th level Charge of the Ravager, not the 9th level Black Seraph Onslaught (which doesn't include any charging as far as I can tell)? Or has this been changed in some way by recent errata I somehow missed and that doesn't yet up show on d20pfsrd?
    No, you're right, I just... brainderped. Both being full attack high-levelled Black Seraph maneuvers. ><
    Incredible avatar made by Ceika.

19. - Top - End - #139

Ah, OK thanks. I was worried I was the one doing the brainderping, since that really seems to be the statistically far most prevalent case when somebody's saying something I don't follow...

20. - Top - End - #140

Harbinger guide needs a severe update. The whole guide hinges on the character only ever investing in intelligence, but now that feature only applies to half attacks and damage, instead of a ton of things.
    That changes the stats' weight and feat priorities a little, which also takes a little of the save based maneuvers' oomph.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Elric mentioned he won't be updating these until the full release of PoW:E.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

22. - Top - End - #142

Makes sense. Just had to bring it up.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Orc in the Playground

In lieu of the guides being updated, or perhaps to support that endeavor via comparing notes, what would be the most appropriate thread to discuss options for the released Harbinger? I've posted some general questions in a couple threads but there doesn't seem to be much talk going on about it.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    In lieu of the guides being updated, or perhaps to support that endeavor via comparing notes, what would be the most appropriate thread to discuss options for the released Harbinger?
    Probably this one.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

Quoting in from my post on the old Stalker thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    A useful old feat you seem to have missed: Barroom Brawler gives any Combat feat you qualify for for a minute as a Move action once per day. This includes Extra Stalker Art, Advanced Study, Martial Training I, and possibly a higher Martial Training if you have the BAB and have gone farther down the line. Also the list of Rogue Talents via the relevant Stalker Art. In all that, there's got to be some useful-but-situational stuff that's good even if it only lasts a minute. Off the Rogue list, just from a quick glance down the first-party part of the list, I see Guileful Polyglot, Grig Jig, Esoteric Scholar, maybe Developed Poison Immunity to trick someone (in a "where's the poison" gambit like in Princess Bride)... The list of actual Stalker Arts useful for this is smaller, but maybe Obfuscation or Mind Bending. "All Combat feats" is a big enough list I'm not looking. Maneuvers might be useful in a situation where you want to get some ranged damage and aren't a specialist, or maybe something from out-of-class schools. Also Ninja Tricks - I can't see why you can't chain to that through Rogue Talents.

It's already a pretty versatile feat, but getting full access to four other sets and limited access to a fourth (out-of-class maneuvers) is a really big boost to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

26. - Top - End - #146

in your maneuver guide, you list Shards of Iron Strike as causing a stun effect, rather than a staggering effect. it would also lower it to probably blue, rather than purple.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Pixie in the Playground

Are there any guides that hit on the piercing thunder, black seraph, silver crane, or tempest gale disciplines?

The rest seem to be covered here and there.

Thanks ;)
    Last edited by Ecliptic; 2016-09-26 at 03:48 PM.
    Pew pew pew

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ecliptic View Post
    Are there any guides that hit on the piercing thunder, black seraph, silver crane, or tempest gale disciplines?

The rest seem to be covered here and there.

Thanks ;)
    In the very first post in this thread.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla View Post
    In the very first post in this thread.
    Ah thanks. I see it now... I hadn't noticed the first link because I was specifically looking at the various class guides:)
    Pew pew pew

30. - Top - End - #150
    Pixie in the Playground

Actually, even with that link, I still don't see guides for piercing thunder or tempest gale?

Could very well be missing something though. If so, apologies and thanks for the guides, in any case.
    Pew pew pew