New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Zodi Plays: Sproggiwood

Hello and welcome to a new game thread! Sproggiwood! A fantasy roguelike based on Finnish mythology, Sproggiwood is a cute, funny, and honestly quite enjoyable (though a little simple/easy) indie developed Roguelike. We'll be discussing the genre of roguelikes, in addition to discussing the inspirations for much of the creatures and characters in this game. The person who contributes the most will, at the end, get a prize. With that said, lets go on to the first video!

Zodi Plays: Sproggiwood [1] Oh God Spiders Why

Video Length: 14:57

Notes: This video is terrible desynced, and I am not able to fix it. However, future videos will not have this problem!

And thus begins our adventure! The talking sheep that walks us calmly through the tutorial reveals itself to be Sproggi, the dark lord! Tasking us with going into Ickykolo to beat up Bigick, a slime boss, we venture forth...with mixed results. I'll admit I did not anticipate how troublesome the spider spawners would be, oops!

Second try though, things go decidedly more "my way" shaped, leading us to getting some pretty cool gear that I'll maybe buy for real later. I sadly don't explore the floor before Bigick himself to the fullest because...I didn't know it was a hole! Oops again

That said, Bigick was pretty easy, as starter bosses should go. Learning that the thrown weapon skill of the Farmer has the on hit effect of your weapon was pretty great, and made short work of the fellow. We unlock the Archer class, and get access to our next dungeon. Now, for a question! Do you want me to show off going through the other dungeons with the other classes? And how? Do you want them sped up and put in the beginning of each video, or as separate videos all together? Or do you want it cut out like the city modificationing that I'll be doing off screen?

====================

Now, for a little primer on Finnish mythology, so you can have an idea of what we're going to be getting into here. It is believed that the earth and all it's stuff was made from the egg of a water fowl. The sky and it's stars are the upper half of the egg shell, or otherwise seen as a tent held up by the North Star (which they saw as a pole. Dad puns are apparently a feature of Finnish mythology.) The rotation of the stars in the sky was due to this North Star Pole turning, causing the sky around it to whirl endlessly. Near the North Star, where the spinning was most strong, there where cracks for you to get out of the Earth and into the world of the dead, Tuonela.

This is important because, as far as I can really tell, I think Ickykolo is meant to be Tuonela, symbolically. All of it's inhabitants are goopy, delicious jellies, and the inhabitants of Tuonela are shadowy figures that roam around listlessly (which I can see a parallel to). But that's just a theory. We'll be speaking more of the symbolism of stuff later. If any of you happen to be skilled at this sort of thing please feel free to correct me.

Last edited by LaZodiac; 2015-01-19 at 11:11 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: Zodi Plays: Sproggiwood

i've subscribed, but i'm gonna have to wait until later this morning to watch the video. hopefully i contribute to this thread more than the skyland one
    elemental avatar by kaariane

extended signature

3. - Top - End - #3
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Yup, definitely out of sync, highly out of sync. Makes things really disconcerting... Glad you have it fixed for future videos though!

There's no live voiceover commentary!

I'm a fast reader, but many are not, you shouldn't flick through the text so quickly! Heck, maybe you should even read the story text aloud.

Don't skip through buying things at the city, but feel free to skip over designing your city/moving things around. I vote for not skipping over alternate class attempts for levels, but playing through and recording them normally.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Somensjev View Post
    i've subscribed, but i'm gonna have to wait until later this morning to watch the video. hopefully i contribute to this thread more than the skyland one
    Fingers crossed

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Yup, definitely out of sync, highly out of sync. Makes things really disconcerting... Glad you have it fixed for future videos though!

There's no live voiceover commentary!

I'm a fast reader, but many are not, you shouldn't flick through the text so quickly! Heck, maybe you should even read the story text aloud.

Don't skip through buying things at the city, but feel free to skip over designing your city/moving things around. I vote for not skipping over alternate class attempts for levels, but playing through and recording them normally.
    Sorry, I don't have a mic

Right, sorry. I was going at Zodi speed there, I'll slow it down in the future.

Yeah, if I buy any equipment I'll make a note of it. And you'd be okay with bonus videos showing off the other dungeons as the other classes? Noted! So far from some of the people I've talked to that's the majority, so I guess each stage is gonna get like, 6 bonus videos as I beat it with every class

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Sorry, I don't have a mic
    Then get one!

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

"Look! A portal! Let's enter it needlessly!"

This is gonna be a funny game.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

7. - Top - End - #7

Then get one!
    Working on it!

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post

Yes it is. What's cool is that the portal thing actually has some ties, I feel, to the mythology. The North Star Pole I mentioned spins the sky around, and at it's closest point whirls appear that let you leave the Earth through cracks and stuff (I mentioned this). The whirls kind of resemble the swirly portal doors!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Now, for a question! Do you want me to show off going through the other dungeons with the other classes? And how? Do you want them sped up and put in the beginning of each video, or as separate videos all together? Or do you want it cut out like the city modificationing that I'll be doing off screen?
    Hmm...
    I think you should at least show off every class once at normal speed so we get a feel for it, plus perhaps new weapons and abilities. And perhaps switch around the main character a bit. Other than that, I don't know, do what works the best for you and everyone else.

Now, for a little primer on Finnish mythology, so you can have an idea of what we're going to be getting into here. It is believed that the earth and all it's stuff was made from the egg of a water fowl. The sky and it's stars are the upper half of the egg shell, or otherwise seen as a tent held up by the North Star (which they saw as a pole. Dad puns are apparently a feature of Finnish mythology.) The rotation of the stars in the sky was due to this North Star Pole turning, causing the sky around it to whirl endlessly. Near the North Star, where the spinning was most strong, there where cracks for you to get out of the Earth and into the world of the dead, Tuonela.

This is important because, as far as I can really tell, I think Ickykolo is meant to be Tuonela, symbolically. All of it's inhabitants are goopy, delicious jellies, and the inhabitants of Tuonela are shadowy figures that roam around listlessly (which I can see a parallel to). But that's just a theory. We'll be speaking more of the symbolism of stuff later. If any of you happen to be skilled at this sort of thing please feel free to correct me.
    Oooh, interesting! Though I don't think Ickykolo is Tuonela, it's too early for the cracks in the world, and Sproggi said that all of the locations are dungeons as well. I also must say that the goopy, delicious jellies don't perhaps make me think as much of the dead as of yolk. And it fits too!

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post

Well, "heedlessly", but I agree! I'd love to have this game as a boredom killer for my lectures when the teacher isn't progressing fast enough, but I don't think I'm quite willing to pay 15 for a game which I'd essentially want of to use as little of my brainpower as possible, even if it's cute and fairly well-made...
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    Hmm...
    I think you should at least show off every class once at normal speed so we get a feel for it, plus perhaps new weapons and abilities. And perhaps switch around the main character a bit. Other than that, I don't know, do what works the best for you and everyone else.

Oooh, interesting! Though I don't think Ickykolo is Tuonela, it's too early for the cracks in the world, and Sproggi said that all of the locations are dungeons as well. I also must say that the goopy, delicious jellies don't perhaps make me think as much of the dead as of yolk. And it fits too!

Well, "heedlessly", but I agree! I'd love to have this game as a boredom killer for my lectures when the teacher isn't progressing fast enough, but I don't think I'm quite willing to pay 15 for a game which I'd essentially want of to use as little of my brainpower as possible, even if it's cute and fairly well-made...
    Noted! Looks like we'll be getting bonus videos . For those curious, those will be uploaded whenever and won't get a specific post update about them (though I will note them when they're up in the next post update, which will be Friday as it always is).

Hmm, that's a god point. I think Clogheads are meant to be analogous to human beings, but I really have no idea, they could be some kind of fairy or something.

Understandable. I do think that for 15 dollars, it's...alright a price. Everyone works well control wise (though it's clearly a port of an iOS game) except for the identification, which doesn't seem to have a button assigned to it so you have to use the mouse to get to it. Also, I've got an idea of what the prize for this thread will be now, hehehe

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Wow. I think my brain got a little scrambled by the sync issues.

This looks like it's going to be a fun game. The characters are cute and I like the humourous descriptions. I will add my voice to the Zodiac commentary plea, as the game is a bit flat without being able to play it or hear somebody play it. It doesn't have to be spoken commentary: some subtitles would be fine. I know that there's the stuff in the thread, but switching back and forth between tabs while trying to work out what corresponds to where is a pain.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

So I have to say, I'm actually a little disappointed that Sproggi turned out to be a good guy. He was just so entertaining as a villain.

Still, looks like a good game. Fighting monsters while building stuff. Mmmmmmmmmm. Wonderful. It'll be interesting to watch this, just because I know zilch about Finnish myth. Greco-Roman, Scandinavian, and a bit of Mesopotamian and Egyptian myth are where I'm strongest, so it'll be cool to see a bit of the Finnish stuff, even if it is through the filter of an amusing and cute video game.
    "Love takes up where knowledge leaves off."
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Durkoala View Post
    Wow. I think my brain got a little scrambled by the sync issues.

This looks like it's going to be a fun game. The characters are cute and I like the humourous descriptions. I will add my voice to the Zodiac commentary plea, as the game is a bit flat without being able to play it or hear somebody play it. It doesn't have to be spoken commentary: some subtitles would be fine. I know that there's the stuff in the thread, but switching back and forth between tabs while trying to work out what corresponds to where is a pain.
    I'll work on it, the video editor I use seems kind of troublesome to put subtitles in (I just need to work out how to use them).

Quote Originally Posted by DraPrime View Post
    So I have to say, I'm actually a little disappointed that Sproggi turned out to be a good guy. He was just so entertaining as a villain.

Still, looks like a good game. Fighting monsters while building stuff. Mmmmmmmmmm. Wonderful. It'll be interesting to watch this, just because I know zilch about Finnish myth. Greco-Roman, Scandinavian, and a bit of Mesopotamian and Egyptian myth are where I'm strongest, so it'll be cool to see a bit of the Finnish stuff, even if it is through the filter of an amusing and cute video game.
    Same here. I think he'll continue to be little cute little "I'm an intimidating turnip!" self, though.

I also know zilch about it so I'm interested in seeing what we'll figure out! According to my research the Finnish god of war is pretty fantastic.

Speaking of which the Archer run is up if anyone's curious.

Zodi Plays Sproggiwood [B.1] Archer of Ickykolo

Video Length: 7:07

So, thoughts on the Archer class? Broke as hell. Sight range on it's bow ability is pretty fantastic, and me spawning essentially on top of a Flamewhip bow sealed the run almost completely. I also remembered to scan Big Ick this time! All in all, a good run. The edit in there was from me getting a phone call, by the way!

Though, a note: while testing various recording stuff to fix the desync issue I ended up getting a LOT of archer equipment. I'll show it all off next video when I go into goatville to forcefully deliver a message of kindness to the goat lady. Also at one point I'm going to get the achivement for beating a dungeon without killing anything but the boss...
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2014-11-03 at 02:34 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

So, thoughts on the Archer class? Broke as hell. Sight range on it's bow ability is pretty fantastic, and me spawning essentially on top of a Flamewhip bow sealed the run almost completely. I also remembered to scan Big Ick this time! All in all, a good run.

Though, a note: while testing various recording stuff to fix the desync issue I ended up getting a LOT of archer equipment. I'll show it all off next video when I go into goatville to forcefully deliver a message of kindness to the goat lady. Also at one point I'm going to get the achivement for beating a dungeon without killing anything but the boss...
    *sees sword, sees the archer skill table*
    Link! It's Link! Blockhead Link!

And that was a lot of slimes in the goatfolk room. Good thing you had your Bow of Inevitable Demise by Fiery Inferno with you.

I'm only a little disappointed the game throws new enemies at you before you've played their levels...
    Last edited by Teddy; 2014-11-03 at 02:43 PM.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    *sees sword, sees the archer skill table*
    Link! It's Link! Blockhead Link!

And that was a lot of slimes in the goatfolk room. Good thing you had your Bow of Inevitable Demise by Fiery Inferno with you.

I'm only a little disappointed the game throws new enemies at you before you've played their levels...
    I think the INTENT is for you to play the story levels in order, before redoing things, but that's not how I Archer Ability 3

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by DraPrime View Post
    So I have to say, I'm actually a little disappointed that Sproggi turned out to be a good guy.
    Maybe.

That video crashed Firefox! Got it working, though, so no need to panic.

So, thoughts on the Archer class? Broke as hell. Sight range on it's bow ability is pretty fantastic, and me spawning essentially on top of a Flamewhip bow sealed the run almost completely. I also remembered to scan Big Ick this time! All in all, a good run. The edit in there was from me getting a phone call, by the way!
    Early days yet, that was the tutorial level, after all. You can expect things to be a little easier there...

And that's the rub with procedural generation. Sometimes levels can be created almost in perfect alignment with the player, sometimes not...

16. - Top - End - #16

That video crashed Firefox! Got it working, though, so no need to panic.

Early days yet, that was the tutorial level, after all. You can expect things to be a little easier there...

And that's the rub with procedural generation. Sometimes levels can be created almost in perfect alignment with the player, sometimes not...
    It was the power and majesty of my flame arrows.

Understandable and true!

Just see my encounter with the spider friends in the first video. Roguelike giveth, and Roguelike taketh away.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

As far as I can tell, the main character's boss is a nature spirit who was pretending to be an evil overlord who was pretending to be a sheep. On the other hand, he might not really be a nature spirit...

...At least he isn't pretending to be Tim Allen!
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

I love how the jelly enemies even come with their own serving plates. This game is silly and adorable.
    Last edited by Skeppio; 2014-11-03 at 08:52 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    As far as I can tell, the main character's boss is a nature spirit who was pretending to be an evil overlord who was pretending to be a sheep. On the other hand, he might not really be a nature spirit...

...At least he isn't pretending to be Tim Allen!
    I feel like you're referring to something here, but I can't quite tell...

Quote Originally Posted by Skeppio View Post
    I love how the jelly enemies even come with their own serving plates. This game is silly and adorable.
    Delicious jellies~

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

I feel like you're referring to something here, but I can't quite tell...
    Tim Allen was an actor who played an actor who played a space captain. It was hilarious.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

21. - Top - End - #21

Worse still would be Roger Moore. In The Cannonball Run, Roger Moore plays a character who pretends to be Roger Moore.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Worse still would be Roger Moore. In The Cannonball Run, Roger Moore plays a character who pretends to be Roger Moore.
    ...The "actors playing actors" thing is pretty common in comedy, isn't it?
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

23. - Top - End - #23

...The "actors playing actors" thing is pretty common in comedy, isn't it?
    Roger Moore wasn't playing himself, Roger Moore was playing someone who was not Roger Moore but was themselves pretending to be Roger Moore.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Roger Moore wasn't playing himself, Roger Moore was playing someone who was not Roger Moore but was themselves pretending to be Roger Moore.
    Acting as someone and pretending to be someone are basically two different ways of saying the same thing. So, if you're pretending to be someone else, you're acting... and therefore an actor (whether it's professional or amateur is largely irrelevant.)

Also, either the two situations are topologically equivalent (three nodes in sequence) or there are fewer nodes in the Roger Moore one (two nodes in a loop.)
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

25. - Top - End - #25

Acting as someone and pretending to be someone are basically two different ways of saying the same thing. So, if you're pretending to be someone else, you're acting... and therefore an actor (whether it's professional or amateur is largely irrelevant.)

Also, either the two situations are topologically equivalent (three nodes in sequence) or there are fewer nodes in the Roger Moore one (two nodes in a loop.)
    I know the words are functionally the same, that is entirely not the point. The point is that Roger Moore pretended to be Seymour Goldfarb, Jr., who pretended to be (a fictional version of) Roger Moore. Yes, there are only three people (fictional or otherwise) in this chain, the same as the one you proposed, but there are many shows where people pretending to be someone else on set, making Galaxy Quest nothing special. If you want to make it even more convoluted, you need to introduce new dynamics, such as when Roger Moore pretended to be a fictional character who pretended to be Roger Moore. This chain introduces not only the same number of steps, but an additional dynamic.

Tim Allen (Real) -> Jason Nesmith (Character they play in movie) -> Cmdr. Peter Quincy Taggart (Who character pretends to be)

Roger Moore (Real) -> Seymour Goldfarb, Jr. (Character they play in movie) -> Roger Moore (Who character pretends to be)

26. - Top - End - #26

This is not the direction I expected things to go, but damned if I'm not enjoying it *eats some snacks while I watch this recursive discussion on actors acting as actors)*

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

This is not the direction I expected things to go, but damned if I'm not enjoying it *eats some snacks while I watch this recursive discussion on actors acting as actors)*
    it has taken an interesting turn

anyway, i've watched both videos now, and i'm very tempted to buy this game, it looks really fun
    elemental avatar by kaariane

extended signature

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Somensjev View Post
    it has taken an interesting turn

anyway, i've watched both videos now, and i'm very tempted to buy this game, it looks really fun
    Glad you enjoyed! This game is very fun. In fact the only negative thing I can think of saying about it at the moment is that it's fun enough to make me want to play through it all at once...which wouldn't work seeing as how I'm supposed to be recording it for the internet

29. - Top - End - #29

it's clearly a port of an iOS game
    I'm not so sure about that... However, I am fairly certain that is is designed to be ported to iOS.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Barbarian in the Playground

So your character was basically spirited away by "Sprogi", a nature spirit. He seems very similar in nature and name to a spriggan, a traditional nature spirit. It also conveniently explains why your character never tries to kill the guy and escape. Spriggans were not only imortal in myth, but every time they were knocked down they got back up stronger than they were before. So your boss is literally an unkillable nature spirit.

Hel, your character is lucky that talking sheep wasn't a leishi, those things get you lost in the woods and then eat you. And the only way to beat it is to turn your hat inside out and out your shoes on the wrong feet. Then it has to let you go because of course spirit creatures have to follow ridiculous rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    If the players figure out and try to stop this from occuring, the wizard instantly crafts a HUGE mound of quarterstaves and clubs to obscure himself before teleporting out.