New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default [mundane item] spear-chain

this mundane item allows the wielder of a spear or greatspear to throw the spear, then retract the spear back to their hand as a swift action.
    2sp

suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by knightsaline View Post
    Living Vengeful Gaze of God/Contingent True Resurrection: Kills you, kills itself, True rezzes itself, kills again, kills itself again, true rezzes itself again..........
    "On the other hand, maybe all of this could have been prevented if you had just managed to get laid once in a while. You can't tell me you would have been as tightly wound if you had been getting treasure type O once in a while"

Roxas avatar made by Adghar. The keyblades are Diamond dust and One Winged Angel

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: [mundane item] spear-chain

I'd make it a move action to pull it back and either with a strength check or reflex save. 30 ft range increment.

When it's thrown, the wielder gets a -4 to disarm and can't make attacks of opportunity till it's back in it's hand.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Hmm. Having a chain attatched to your spear would seriously limit the range at which you could throw it effectively. Perhaps instead of a 30ft range increment, 30 feet would become the maximum range.

flawed.perfection has good ideas about how to get it back, but how about making it a barbed spear and having it retracted with an attack action that causes spear damage again on the way out?

I'd say the wielder can be tripped or disarmed by anyone who can reach the spear or the chain. No penalty to the disarm check, but the wielder can choose to drop the chain to avoid being tripped.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Anyone within 5 ft. of the line of effect (where the chain is on the projectile path) can get free sunder attempts on the chain until it's retracted.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
    Like holding your palm to your temple and blasting your brains out with magical force.
    Congratulations, you just conjured up the greatest mental image ever.

Spoiler
    Show

My Not So Humble [Villain]