New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

sigh (Advice Needed)LARP GM attached to bad ruleset, won't commit things to paper

So my college has an active LARP club, which is great- it was actually founded just this year.

What's LESS great is that the club's founder put together his own ruleset and style of play, and it is... not good. It's not impossible to salvage, or even particularly difficult, but it has some critical issues.

Spoiler: Spoilerd for not totally relevant- list of issues
    Show

Rogues and Wizards can point and say "You're dead now" to a monster or player, and then are borderline useless for the rest of the fight.

The XP system he's established has a very high number of essentially mandatory expenses and generally is potentially unappealing to new LARP'ers.

Certain types of characters start off with flat-out better stats.

Etc. Etc. All fixable- LARP rulesets don't have to be perfect, foam swordplay is a good equalizer.

The difficulty arises in that he is extremely hesitant to make any changes to his One True Ruleset, and furthermore, many rules, particularly those about XP expenditure on anything other than simple stat increases, exist only in his head and nowhere on paper.

I need some advice on the best way to convince the guy to make necessary changes to his ruleset-baby, and to get him to write it down so that the club doesn't disintegrate when he graduates in a year.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Re: (Advice Needed)LARP GM attached to bad ruleset, won't commit things to paper

Wait for him to graduate, and then fix the system or adopt a better system. There is nothing stopping you or anyone else from writing down the rules you know, and then filling in the rest yourself. When he's gone, someone else will need to run things, anyway. Why would you go on using a bad system?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: (Advice Needed)LARP GM attached to bad ruleset, won't commit things to paper

Some friends of mine LARP pretty regularly and have encountered a similar problem in the past; I'd recommend you read this post from the LARP section of RPG.net

Murderhobo with a Shotgun

Learn your rules, learn your rules, if you don't you'll be eaten in your sleep!

burn the munchkin, kill the min/maxer, purge the jediverse

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by McBars View Post
    Some friends of mine LARP pretty regularly and have encountered a similar problem in the past; I'd recommend you read this post from the LARP section of RPG.net
    Are you sure you got the right link there?
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WarKitty View Post
    Are you sure you got the right link there?
    Damnit, you're right. corrected

joking and foolishness aside, just sit down and have a talk with the guy; tell him your concerns both about the rules and the sustenance of the club after he leaves.
    Especially, point out to him that without a printed/e-copy of the rules, how are players and particularly new players going to be able to learn or want to join?
    Last edited by McBars; 2014-11-20 at 05:56 AM.

Murderhobo with a Shotgun

Learn your rules, learn your rules, if you don't you'll be eaten in your sleep!

burn the munchkin, kill the min/maxer, purge the jediverse

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by McBars View Post
    Damnit, you're right. corrected

joking and foolishness aside, just sit down and have a talk with the guy; tell him your concerns both about the rules and the sustenance of the club after he leaves.
    Especially, point out to him that without a printed/e-copy of the rules, how are players and particularly new players going to be able to learn or want to join?
    Still youtube. Nice videos though.

On the original topic, might be worth also discussing who else would be willing to run the larp if this guy can't get it together.
    Last edited by WarKitty; 2014-11-20 at 06:03 AM.
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Tell me if I get this right... so there's this guy who has a ruleset nobody likes and nobody really knows, and you're worried that when this guy leaves the club, the club will disband because nobody will know how to play the game any more?

Good, I say. Let the rules be lost forever to the mists of the time.

Here's the two things I can see happening if you get the guy to codify the rules.

1. Your group keeps following these rules that you hate, ensuring you will hate it for the rest of your time in the LARP club.

2. Your group decides to change the rules, but different people will have different ideas about what changes are good and what are not. You end up with a ruleset designed by committee, a broth ruined by too many cooks, ensuring you will hate it for the rest of your time in the LARP club.
    It always amazes me how often people on forums would rather accuse you of misreading their posts with malice than re-explain their ideas with clarity.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Might also look into any official rules the club has... not necessarily the LARP rules, but the bylaws. See if there are methods to get the LARP rules changed in place, and, if not, suggest some at a business meeting. I agree, work with the guy to create a good copy of the rules, and suggest changes as you go along. It can really only help the club to have the rules posted where everyone can read them.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudd View Post
    Wait for him to graduate, and then fix the system or adopt a better system.
    I say this if you're patient enough.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    If all you are doing is biding your time, why show up in the interim? It might just turn you off the whole hobby. Talk to other members, see if there is a consensus. If so, bring it up gently. Bring up the idea of playing a new game, or having a round table to discuss reworking the rules into something more fun for everyone. Is he an approachable guy?
    Homebrew PrC: The Performance Artist

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Might also look into any official rules the club has... not necessarily the LARP rules, but the bylaws. See if there are methods to get the LARP rules changed in place, and, if not, suggest some at a business meeting. I agree, work with the guy to create a good copy of the rules, and suggest changes as you go along. It can really only help the club to have the rules posted where everyone can read them.
    I agree with this. Work with the other members of the club for the club's betterment. This can be difficult if it's a new club, since many of the members will likely be friends of the founder, and thus committed to them no matter what. What's the lay of the land when it comes to club membership? Are there a lot of members who are discontented with the current rules system?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    That's a bit iffy, though. We don't know what year the OP is in. They may not have time.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.