New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yu Gi Oh RPG

1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Yu Gi Oh RPG

Ever since Yu-Gi-Oh has been put on netflix ive had it on the brain. Hell me and my buddies have gone back to playing the card game again. So now im looking for a (preferably tabletop) Yu-Gi-Oh RPG as i think it would be a blast. So if anyone knows of an official or homebrewed one id love to hear about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Yu Gi Oh RPG

The immediate problem I see with such a thing is, are you going to actually play the card game when the scenario calls for it? If not, how does dueling work?
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

To be honest playing the card game as substitution for combat could be awesome - as long as its a small enough group to get everyone involved all the time.
    The Thing is though - the DM would need to have all the "enemy" decks on hand - and be able to play it, even then it could get overwhelming when you need to play multiple NPCs at once (like a 2v2 matchup).

You could add some RPG "Feats" to involve the RPG rules with the Card Game (dont know much about YuGiOh TCG, but something like draw an additional Card at your first turn, get f.e 200 Additional LP at the start of the Game and so on)

The interactions with NPCs and the Story could resolve in like any other RPG with dice Rolls.

Another Approach would be to create "Booster Packs", before the start of the Game - let every Player get x Booster and make their starter Deck out of this (before they decide any character traits & abillities)
    Then let them win Money/Ante cards by dueling other NPCs.

Money can be spend on additional Booster - that you build beforehand. This way you kinda get to cotrol the merits of which cards are to be played, and can balance your NPC encounters a little better. Also you can give out special cards, similiarly to loot in DnD or so.

Still a lot of work for the potential DM, and may need some testing tbh
    Last edited by Nahro; 2014-11-24 at 04:25 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Not an expert, but I'd think actually playing the card game by the rules would be the worst way to simulate what goes on in the tv show.
    "What can change the nature of a man?"
    __
    Guybrush Threepwood avatar by Ceika

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

One of these days I'm going to get around to actually putting my homebrew class on here. It could be exactly what you are looking for.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

An idea:

In Deadlands Hucksters cast magic by essentially imagining a contest of Will as a game of poker, represented by the player drawing a number of cards based off their casting roll, and making the best poker hand they can. This system could be used to determine a system to represent duals.

Spoiler: example system
    Show
    Each player has a deck of 10-40 cards, which is representative of their character's deck. This deck must be shuffled before every dual. NPCs have a deck of 10 (or whatever number you think is appropriate) cards, and a hand size of 1 to 10.

Before the dual the PC must make a luck roll, which determines their hand size, and all participants must make a dueling strategy roll, which determines how many of those cards they can use. They must then use up to their maximum 'combo size' to try and creates stronger monster than their opponent (including fusion, synchro and xyz monsters), with the monster with the highest attack/defence (based on it's mode) "wins" the dual for it's owner.

And a life point system to simulate more lengthy duals.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

I thought up some homebrew for a Yu-gi-oh game a while ago. Roughly like nWoD. Ended up losing interest, but I remember the basics:

A PC has stats similar to nWoD. Basic attributes, health, and skills. They also have a special 'Sanity' or some such stat. It should probably be tied to their willpower and be a numeric amount.
    PCs can fight physically, but this should probably happen rarely to fit the theme of the game.

When in a duel, if it's a shadow game, damage inflicted to the player in the duel also damages the player's sanity. You lose the duel if you lose the game (reduced to 0 life (? forget what's it's called)) or if your Sanity is reduced to 0 (you get KOed, which is the same as forfeiting.)

I could see some feats or special powers. For example, "Heart of the Cards" lets you (OOC) search through your deck and place whatever card you want on top, to emulate how Yugi so often draws exactly what he needs despite usually (if not always) having horrible decks. Or even a "Rule of Cool" power (maybe usable a few times per story) which lets a player change how a card works for cool effect.

---

As for how to make this work as a table-top game and be fun, I'm not so sure. It would slow things down a lot to actually play the duels in-game, and leave anyone out of a duel rather bored. I do like the idea of having to use base starter decks instead of letting players make their own decks from scratch, as that equalizes the playing field a bit more.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

I'm actually having an idea for a full system now, including stats, skills, special abilities, both "quick duals" and "plot duals", and shadow games. I'm going to try writing this up, and maybe posting it in the homebrew forum.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

To be honest, it would work better if you go by the fluff of the game.

The Duelists are magic users doing battle with one an other by casting spells and summoning monsters, conjuring magic items, and setting traps*

So in an RPG, you're either in the modern day or Ancient Egypt, or some Fantasy+Scifi Kitchen Sink world playing as some caster, with a class and level system determining your specialty int he kinds of spells you cast, what kind of monsters you prefer to summon, and have alevel to determine how powerful the monster you summon are.

Do something like a prestige class or the NWoD's Z splats to cover people who specialize in a specific archtype or group of archtypes.

State the monsters with abilities based on the powers they demonstrate in the cardgame

*If this sounds like Magic: the Gathering, well, there's a good reason for that:When the game first appeared in the Yu-Gi-Oh Manga, it was essentially Magic with the serial Numbers filed off and the mana mechanic dropped for expedience
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

10. - Top - End - #10

I have to agree with the sentiments that this is a heavy bookkeeping class. There are a lot of things to keep track of along with the duelist.

It was for D&D 3.5 which of course can already be a heavy bookkeeping system.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    An idea:

In Deadlands Hucksters cast magic by essentially imagining a contest of Will as a game of poker, represented by the player drawing a number of cards based off their casting roll, and making the best poker hand they can. This system could be used to determine a system to represent duals.

Show
    Each player has a deck of 10-40 cards, which is representative of their character's deck. This deck must be shuffled before every dual. NPCs have a deck of 10 (or whatever number you think is appropriate) cards, and a hand size of 1 to 10.

Before the dual the PC must make a luck roll, which determines their hand size, and all participants must make a dueling strategy roll, which determines how many of those cards they can use. They must then use up to their maximum 'combo size' to try and creates stronger monster than their opponent (including fusion, synchro and xyz monsters), with the monster with the highest attack/defence (based on it's mode) "wins" the dual for it's owner.

I would concur with this: use the existing card game rules as a starting point. Strip them down and make them into the means of resolution. Not a full duel, but rather a minigame that evokes the mechanics.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Comet View Post
    Not an expert, but I'd think actually playing the card game by the rules would be the worst way to simulate what goes on in the tv show.
    And using any kind of RPG mechanic would be the second-worst way, considering that the challenge to the hero always comes from a specific card or combo that does blah blah blah. Kind of hard to represent that without actually involving the TCG.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    An idea:

Show

...This, on the other hand, is about halfway to working. Still doesn't enable the "How will you overcome the villain's OP monster" scenario, but that might be a necessary sacrifice to make anything remotely functional.
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    To be honest, it would work better if you go by the fluff of the game.

The Duelists are magic users doing battle with one an other by casting spells and summoning monsters, conjuring magic items, and setting traps*

So in an RPG, you're either in the modern day or Ancient Egypt, or some Fantasy+Scifi Kitchen Sink world playing as some caster, with a class and level system determining your specialty int he kinds of spells you cast, what kind of monsters you prefer to summon, and have alevel to determine how powerful the monster you summon are.

Do something like a prestige class or the NWoD's Z splats to cover people who specialize in a specific archtype or group of archtypes.

State the monsters with abilities based on the powers they demonstrate in the cardgame

*If this sounds like Magic: the Gathering, well, there's a good reason for that:When the game first appeared in the Yu-Gi-Oh Manga, it was essentially Magic with the serial Numbers filed off and the mana mechanic dropped for expedience
    Honestly i figured that this was the best way. Basically you play the Legendary Heroes episodes and play a fairly normal D20 game. Though honestly a few of the other suggestions have been fairly interesting.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    Honestly i figured that this was the best way. Basically you play the Legendary Heroes episodes and play a fairly normal D20 game. Though honestly a few of the other suggestions have been fairly interesting.
    I've already got a basic class system set up-You get one Generalist "Duelist" class, and then one Class for every Type of Monsters(Except for Divine Beast, because an entire Class for four monsters is all kinds of stupid"

Like Generalist, Dragonmaster, Technomancer, Beast Lord, Necromancer, bla bla bla, etc etc.

If you specialize, then when you summon that type of monster, it's a little bit stronger than when a generalist summons it(of if you encounter it in the wild) but the other types a just a teensy bit weaker. You can maybe get a bit more mileage out of support spells for you type. As you level up, you might get a few extra abillities for your monsters beyond whats on the statblock-Maybe a Necromancer Duelist who is level five or higher, his Zombie Type monsters get back up at half strength the first time their destroyed, or something like that.

No Multiclassing, you either specialize in something or you don't.

And like, prestige classes are things like, some are general like everyone can get it "I'm awesome at Fusion Summoning!" "Xyz is My Game!" or maybe you're really good at setting traps.

Then Others are based on class: Generalists Might get Archetypes like the Neospacions, where there's multible types of monster in the Archetype. Necromancers might get the "Skull Master" Prestige Class or what have you that specializes in the Weight Archetype(Skull Servent, King of the Skull Servents, the weights) Maybe a "Master of the Blue-Eyes" thing for dragon users, that kind of thing.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Oh My God

LARP it.

LARP it so hard.

Have card duels using actual cards with their rules being the only mechanics. Otherwise play entirely free form.

You're going to need some hair dye and vinyl.
    amazing avatar of my favorite character, Gheera, by Pesimismrocks

16. - Top - End - #16
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by (Un)Inspired View Post
    And hair gel. And gold spray paint. And belts. A ridiculous number of belts.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2014-11-25 at 03:39 AM.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by (un)inspired View Post
    oh my god

larp it.

Larp it so hard.

Have card duels using actual cards with their rules being the only mechanics. Otherwise play entirely free form.

1, 2, 3, lay on!!!
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

If I were to use Yu-Gi-Oh as an RPG, I would do it in Cortex Legendary (the system used for Marvel Heroic Roleplay).

Your traits would be:

* Style: [Brute Force, Cunning, Thoughtfulness]. These cover both your style of play, and your abilities outside of the card game, so a Brute Force character has physical strength and uses big, dangerous monsters, whereas a Cunning character can manipulate people and plays traps and conditions.
    * Distinctions - Three catchphrases or descriptions of you that can be used for good or bad.
    * Power Set One: Deck. This power set has a couple of dice in it to refer to specific ways you tend to use your deck, and SFX named after individual powerful cards. It's only used in games.
    * Power Set Two: Heart. This power set gives you a set of connections to other people or ideals that you can call on, with limits based on situational problems, and would probably be where millenium items would go for SFX. It's used in and out of games.
    * Specialties: Specific skills that you have. Generally only used outside the card games.

And done.
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Friv View Post
    If I were to use Yu-Gi-Oh as an RPG, I would do it in Cortex Legendary (the system used for Marvel Heroic Roleplay).

Your traits would be:

* Style: [Brute Force, Cunning, Thoughtfulness]. These cover both your style of play, and your abilities outside of the card game, so a Brute Force character has physical strength and uses big, dangerous monsters, whereas a Cunning character can manipulate people and plays traps and conditions.
    * Distinctions - Three catchphrases or descriptions of you that can be used for good or bad.
    * Power Set One: Deck. This power set has a couple of dice in it to refer to specific ways you tend to use your deck, and SFX named after individual powerful cards. It's only used in games.
    * Power Set Two: Heart. This power set gives you a set of connections to other people or ideals that you can call on, with limits based on situational problems, and would probably be where millenium items would go for SFX. It's used in and out of games.
    * Specialties: Specific skills that you have. Generally only used outside the card games.

And done.
    Intriguing, i should look into this
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by (Un)Inspired View Post
    Oh My God

LARP it.

LARP it so hard.

And plastic Duel Disks.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    And belts. A ridiculous number of belts.

"Do I have enough yet?"

Intriguing, i should look into this
    As should I.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    And plastic Duel Disks.
    Waaaay ahead of you there
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Firbolg in the Playground

If you base it off the anime but want to use the official card game, you're going to need a "screw the rules" stat to pull off the various Catapult Turtle Flying Castle Gambits that they perform on the show, like summoning a bunch of monsters in one turn, having one of the opponent's Equip cards give you a terrain advantage even after the monster it's equipped to is destroyed, and of course blatantly cheating without getting immediately disqualified for it.

If you're working off the American dub, you'll additionally need a "heart of the cards" stat that lets you put the cards you want on top.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

23. - Top - End - #23

Waaaay ahead of you there
    I've got the Blue Scythe Shaped Orichalkos Duel Disk and the Duel Academy Disk.

Though they need new batteries.
    If you base it off the anime but want to use the official card game, you're going to need a "screw the rules" stat to pull off the various Catapult Turtle Flying Castle Gambits that they perform on the show, like summoning a bunch of monsters in one turn, having one of the opponent's Equip cards give you a terrain advantage even after the monster it's equipped to is destroyed, and of course blatantly cheating without getting immediately disqualified for it.

If you're working off the American dub, you'll additionally need a "heart of the cards" stat that lets you put the cards you want on top.
    Catapult Turtle's Special ability allows you to sacrifice a monster to inflict half that monster's attack points as direct damage to your opponents life points.

In other words, that scene in the Anime was just how they chose to roleplay Catapult Turtle's effect in that specific scenario.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2014-11-25 at 09:50 PM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Topdecking would be like Protagonist Power #1 in any RPG about playing card games.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Ive got the Battle City one, and it too needs new batteries.

Honestly i may just call the power Screw Your Rules
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Catapult Turtle's Special ability allows you to sacrifice a monster to inflict half that monster's attack points as direct damage to your opponents life points.

In other words, that scene in the Anime was just how they chose to roleplay Catapult Turtle's effect in that specific scenario.
    No excuse for the Swords of Revealing light Supporting Castle of Shadows (was that the name) bull. Spell cards do not work that way.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    No excuse for the Swords of Revealing light Supporting Castle of Shadows (was that the name) bull. Spell cards do not work that way.
    1. Castle of Dark Illusions.

2. Fluff for Swords of Revealing Light is it freezes mionsters in place. Is why can't attack en stuff.

3. Spellcards not working that way is irrelevant the entire scenario is how they fluffed the special effect of an effect monster. If it were a diferant Scenario, it would have been fluffed differently.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Swords disappeared, Castle crashed to the ground. That's a crunch change, not a fluff interpretation.

29. - Top - End - #29

Part of the reason why that all happened that way was the actual card game had not been created yet.

All of the duels in the Duelist Kingdom arc were plot based and not based on the game rules.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dysprosium View Post
    Part of the reason why that all happened that way was the actual card game had not been created yet.

All of the duels in the Duelist Kingdom arc were plot based and not based on the game rules.
    Which is why the show acted more like MtG than modern Yu Gi Oh, also it was just plain cool.
    Show