New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [Mystic Order] Order of the Shadow Mind

Order of the Shadow Mind
    Mystics who follow the Order of the Shadow Mind seek to embrace the darkest recesses of their mind. Their primal impulses of the Id, those negative tendencies most suppress, the haunting thoughts that turn pleasant dreams into the most vivid of nightmares. While there does lie power in the art known as subpsionics, it does not come without a price.
    Shadow Minds, as they are often called, are granted mastery over the darkest recesses of their minds. Or, more often, perish in the pursuit.

Bonus Disciplines
    At 1st level, you learn two additional psionic disciplines of your choice. They must be chosen from among the following disciplines: Crown of Despair, Crown of Disgust, Crown of Rage, Mantle of Fear, Mantle of Fury, Mastery of Light and Darkness, Nomadic Chameleon, Nomadic Step, Psychic Assault, Psychic Phantoms

Conjunctive Mind
    At 1st level, you learn temporary join your conscious mind and subconscious mind. This state lasts for 10 minutes. You can revert to normal earlier by using an action on your turn. You automatically revert if you fall unconscious, drop to 0 hit points, or die. While in this state you add +1d4 as an additional bonus to your Discipline save DC and Attack modifier, as well as damage dealt with disciplines, talents, and spells granted through this order. This state can be used twice, and these uses are regained upon taking a short or long rest.

At the start of your turn, if you’ve taken any damage since the beginning of your last turn, you must make a Wisdom saving throw to maintain control. The DC equals 10 or half the total damage you’ve taken from attacks since your last turn, whichever is higher. On a failed save, your mind lashes out at the closest creature to you, using the Mind Thrust psionic talent. If there is no such creature in range, you are the target instead. This occurs even if you do not possess Mind Thrust (though the DM may rule for you to use a different Psionic Talent if you lack Mind Thrust.) This consumes an action as normal.

Volatile Mind
    Starting at 3rd level, you learn how to dig deep into your mind to draw forth more strength. As a bonus action, you gain a number of Psi Points equal to your Psi limit and must perform a Wisdom save (equal to your Discipline save DC). If fail you take psychic damage equal to twice the psi points recovered. If you succeed, you only take half this damage. This damage ignores resistance. Once you have used this ability you cannot use it again until you finish a long rest.

Mind’s Shadow
    At 6th level, you learn three warlock spells of your choice. The spells must be 1st through 3rd level.
    As a bonus action, you can spend psi points to create spell slots that you can use to cast these spells, as well as other spells you are capable of casting. The psi-point cost of each spell is as follows: 2 for 1st, 3 for 2nd, 5 for 3rd, 6 for 4th, and 7 for 5th. The spell slots remain until you use it or finish a long rest. You must observe your psi limit when spending psi points to create a spell slot.
    Whenever you gain a level in this class, you can replace one of the chosen warlock spells with a different warlock spell of 1st through 3rd level. These spells are cast using Intelligence instead of Charisma.

Shattered Mind
    Starting at 14th level, you are able to sever your mind and make a duplicate of yourself as an action out of shadow stuff and psychokinetic force. The double looks, sounds, and smells like its creator though it always appears as if standing in shadow. You are capable of seeing what your double sees and visa versa. The double moves when you move, though it does not need to move in the same direction or as far. This double has an AC of 10 + your Intelligence modifier, and HP equal to twice your level + your Intelligence modifier. As a bonus action, you use a discipline, talent, or spell that ordinarily uses an action or bonus action through your double.

So long as this double is out, this double is considered under the effects of Conjunctive Mind, empowering abilities used through it. If either of you take damage, you must make the Wisdom save with disadvantage. If this save is failed, your double will use Mind Thrust on the nearest creature to it. If both saves would fail, it attacks the nearest friendly creature. This consumes your bonus action.

This double lasts 10 minutes, until killed, until it is no longer within 120 feet of you at the start of your turn, or until dismissed as an action. When the double vanishes you must make a Wisdom save (DC equals your Discipline save DC) or take psychic damage equal to the
    damage the double took. This damage ignores resistance. On a successful save you take half.

___
    This was inspired by the Shadow Mind PrC, and was ultimately an attempt to bring Subpsionics to 5e in some form.
    Last edited by Xuldarinar; 2019-07-05 at 10:11 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: [Mystic Order] Order of the Shadow Mind

I like the feel of this but the self punishing mechanics seem a little too fiddly (normally I love fiddly, but there’s a little too much if/then for me here).

The first level ability might half kill you at 1st level. That doesn’t seem like a good design for that level.

I think the Merged psyche thing from later would be better but I’d model it off of bless since static modifiers tend to be more rare. +d4 rather than +1/2 proficiency. That tightens it up for 1st level use.

The trickery domain clone, its good but I’d rather it have fewer penalties. It’s hardly better than the trickery channel divinity with the small HP pool, you could probably either eliminate the downsides and just say it’s more sinister looking and prone to violence (or vice versa if the character is good) or give it more HP.

Best of luck with this whatever direction you go!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Mystic Order] Order of the Shadow Mind

Quote Originally Posted by BerzerkerUnit View Post
    I like the feel of this but the self punishing mechanics seem a little too fiddly (normally I love fiddly, but there’s a little too much if/then for me here).

The first level ability might half kill you at 1st level. That doesn’t seem like a good design for that level.

I think the Merged psyche thing from later would be better but I’d model it off of bless since static modifiers tend to be more rare. +d4 rather than +1/2 proficiency. That tightens it up for 1st level use.

The trickery domain clone, its good but I’d rather it have fewer penalties. It’s hardly better than the trickery channel divinity with the small HP pool, you could probably either eliminate the downsides and just say it’s more sinister looking and prone to violence (or vice versa if the character is good) or give it more HP.

Best of luck with this whatever direction you go!
    Alright. I've swapped the 1st and 3rd level abilities, toned down Conjunctive Mind to be 1d4, changed the damage on Volatile mind to being 2x points recovered on a failed save, or equal to the points recovered on a successful one. Lastly, I have increased the HP on Shattered mind (Level x 2 + Int Mod). Thank you for your input.