Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Martial Adept Paladin Variant

So I'm a little surprised that this doesn't exist already (that I could find unless I was looking in the wrong places) so I decided to make a little variant ruleset here based on the Crusaders Initiator rule set to allow a Paladin to ditch their ****ty spellcasting (and more often than not useless remove disease ability) for something a little more worthwhile in battle.

Paladin Variant: Martial Adept Paladin

Loses: Turn Undead, Spellcasting, Remove Disease

Gains: The Maneuver and Stances learned and readied progression of a Crusader, using the same method for determining Maneuvers granted and recovery; initiator level as class level. Maybe only learn from Devoted Spirit and White Raven however.

Pretty simple and to the point, but I figured restricting the Stone Dragon style out made up for the fact that Paladin's aren't losing so much to get this compared to a Crusader and what they get besides maneuvers.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Martial Adept Paladin Variant

No comment? It's not too much extra for too little or anything?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ryunosuke View Post
    No comment? It's not too much extra for too little or anything?
    I'm no ToB fan, but...

1. 5.5 hours is really not that long to determine you're ignored.
    2. Consider displaying your complete vision of the pally remake in a table (might help speed up feedbacks).
    3. If you're losing Turn Undead and Spellcasting, why not just go straight Crusader?
    4. You could modify the Crusader as follows:
    - Replace Indomitable Soul with Divine Grace.
    - Since Divine Grace > [Indomitable Soul + Zealous surge], replace Zealous surge with fear immunity (but no aura).
    - Lose Smite for something better (1/day at levels 6 - 17 amounts to practically nothing). Consider moving Mettle to 6th level (your call what to put into 18th).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

-the first post was 3 days ago not 5.5 hours (you didn't check the dates)
    -I don't want to make them a straight crusader for several reasons, including the aura power, divine grace, mount an dteh smite evil is actually fairly decent and the paladin gets it at a better use rate than Crusader

-this is a quick check in since holiday so if i don't get any replies after dinner tonight ill make up a modified table

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nonsi View Post
    3. If you're losing Turn Undead and Spellcasting, why not just go straight Crusader?
    4. You could modify the Crusader as follows:
    - Replace Indomitable Soul with Divine Grace.
    - Since Divine Grace > [Indomitable Soul + Zealous surge], replace Zealous surge with fear immunity (but no aura).
    - Lose Smite for something better (1/day at levels 6 - 17 amounts to practically nothing). Consider moving Mettle to 6th level (your call what to put into 18th).
    Indeed. This feels like it should be a Crusader variant that grants Turn Undead, Divine Grace, and Special Mount.
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!