New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Legend of Zelda 5e: Monsters of Hyrule

So for a couple of months I have been building a Player's Handbook and Master Guide to a Legend of Zelda RPG setting using D&D 5e's rule set. And so far it's great. PHB is done, and the Master Guide is done*.

But there is a problem. A BIG problem. A huge, colossal, massive, titanic, sup- I need a Monster Manual.

Balancing Monster Stats has always been my bane, if only because I tend to second-guess myself all the time. My worst problem at the moment is judging how powerful enemies from the LoZ should be. Make them too weak, and they become boring quickly. Make them too strong, and now the players can't win. I am bad at math, is what I am getting at.

So from here on out, I will be posting Zelda monsters to this thread, looking for nothing more than discussion, critiques, and alternative ideas. If you want to post your own stats for a Zelda monster, please post it here so we can compare!

First up: Armos.
    Spoiler: Armos
    Show
    Armos
    Medium Construct, unaligned
    Armor Class 18 (Natural Armor)
    Hit Points 33 (6d8+6)
    Speed 25ft
    Str2 Dex0 Con1 Int-5 Wis-4 Cha-X
    Damage Immunities poison, psychic,
    Damage Resistances slashing, bludgeoning, piercing
    Conditional Immunities blinded, charmed, deafened, exhaustion, frightened, paralyzed, petrified, poisoned
    Senses blindsight 60ft (blind beyond this radius), passive Perception 6
    Languages ---
    Challenge 1 (200xp)
    Antimagic Susceptibility. Incapacitated in Antimagic Field. If Dispelled, Con Save or Unconcious for 1 Minute.
    False Appearance. While Armos remains motionless, it is indistinguishable from a normal suit of armor.
    Flanked. Armos loses Damage Resistances when flanked.
    Actions
    Multiattack. Armos makes two melee attacks
    Slam. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 hit, reach 5ft, one target.
    Hit: 5 (1d6+2) bludgeoning

I feel these aren't powerful enough. As is, they gave my 3-man party a good, solid boss fight, but now that they've leveled will this monster get sidelined too easily?

*except for Alt-Rules, of which I only have one (Alternate Alignment System) but I keep feeling like there's another I'm missing
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    Ninjadeadbeard just ninja'd my post. How apt.
    Ninjadeadbeard's Extended Homebrew

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Legend of Zelda 5e: Monsters of Hyrule

You're not gonna give him legendary actions? He should be able to knock nearby characters prone (negating the flanking bonus), move 30 feet and stomp over somebody while doing it (Dexterity save negates), and shoot lasers from his eyes.
    Last edited by Thomar_of_Uointer; 2014-12-09 at 12:46 AM.
    I make games.

"...I worry that modern gaming is gradually shrinking the wide spectrum of gameplay mechanics into a single narrow red bar with "KILL" written on it sideways. Exploration, navigation, puzzles, platforming, all gradually shrinking away until only one thing remains, being taken by the hand from room to room, moving on only when nothing remains alive in each one." - Yhatzee Crosshaw

3. - Top - End - #3

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Thomar_of_Uointer View Post
    You're not gonna give him legendary actions? He should be able to knock nearby characters prone (negating the flanking bonus), move 30 feet and stomp over somebody while doing it (Dexterity save negates), and shoot lasers from his eyes.
    I assumed Legendary Actions were for Bosses? While I said "boss fight", I just meant in general. Not literally. Or should I have?

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjadeadbeard View Post
    I assumed Legendary Actions were for Bosses? While I said "boss fight", I just meant in general. Not literally. Or should I have?
    Oh, I thought it was a boss.

Anyways, if it's not a solo encounter, then it looks like its AC is too high, especially for something with so much HP. I would drop it to 15.
    I make games.

"...I worry that modern gaming is gradually shrinking the wide spectrum of gameplay mechanics into a single narrow red bar with "KILL" written on it sideways. Exploration, navigation, puzzles, platforming, all gradually shrinking away until only one thing remains, being taken by the hand from room to room, moving on only when nothing remains alive in each one." - Yhatzee Crosshaw

5. - Top - End - #5

PirateCaptain

I will probably lower the AC for when multiple ones show up (the smaller models!), but I like at least the Stomp legendary action idea for boss encounters. I like that Flanking is how to hurt it, so I doubt I'll mess with that though.

Where do LASERS come from??? Which game had those?!

6. - Top - End - #6

Wait, you've written a PHB and DMG? Are these available for public consumption?
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby Frost
    `This is just the beginning, Citizens! Today we have boiled a pot who's steam shall be seen across the entire galaxy. The Tea Must Flow, and it shall! The banner of the British Space Empire will be unfurled across a thousand worlds, carried forth by the citizens of Urn, and before them the Tea shall flow like a steaming brown river of shi-*cough*- shimmering moral fibre!`

7. - Top - End - #7

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by TheTeaMustFlow View Post
    Wait, you've written a PHB and DMG? Are these available for public consumption?
    Spoiler: non Zelda Monster info
    Show
    MASTER GUIDE

PLAYER'S BOOK

The Master Guide contains stuff on specific parts of the world, including potential quest-giving NPCs (rulers and the like) as well as potential quests for each region (in case someone wants something to start from). The PHB has racial stats (all based on posts by Playgrounders Yuki Akuma and Thomar_of_Uointer) and some general stuff players could use to build off. I rather enjoyed the process of putting them together. Might just do it for all my settings now. Will repost in Worldbuilding eventually once MM is done/I'm sick of it.

To add another topic of discussion, Beamos. Red and Blue variants. I originally stat'd them as creatures with 10-20 hp, but damage immunity (bypassed by magical and "Readied" attacks), plus different damage dependent on type. Blue Beamos used the Firebolt cantrip, while Red used a 5th level magic missile. I'm thinking of switching both to different levels of Eldritch Blast with the Knockback Invocation (I know not real name).

Thoughts?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

your links are out of heart aka broken
    liked the monster

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

I loved the player's and DM's books. Are you still working on this one?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

I adore your guides so far, but are you still working on this monster guide?