New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default New Rogue Archetype: The Thug

There's no good archetype for your standard-issue thug yet, so I homebrewed this. I'm a little worried it's not strong enough.

Rogue Archetype: Thug

Dirty Fighter

When you choose this archetype at 3rd level, you gain the ability to sneak attack with any weapon you are proficient with, even those without the finesse or ranged property.

Intimidating Presence

Starting at 3rd level, you become more intimidating to people around you. You have advantage on Cha (Intimidation) checks made against unarmed opponents.

Extortion

Starting at 9th level, you are able to force people into giving you what you want. If you successfully use the intimidation skill against a creature that can see you, you can treat that creature as indifferent if it was hostile and friendly if it was indifferent. (Your DM will adjudicate what these attitudes mean.) For the next minute, you and your allies have advantage on persuasion checks made against that creature. After a minute has passed, the creature realizes it was coerced and becomes hostile toward you. Some individuals may try to seek revenge.

No Holds Barred

By 13th level, you have mastered the technique of causing pain with no remorse. You deal an extra die of weapon damage whenever you hit a creature that is blinded, prone, incapacitated, or frightened.

Armor of Doubt

When you reach 17th level, as long as you have not taken damage in combat, enemies have disadvantage on attack rolls made against you. This is a mind-affecting fear effect.
    Last edited by Human Paragon 3; 2014-12-16 at 01:30 PM.
    Click the spoiler to see all the great games I design:
    Spoiler
    Show

Who Beats Who? the hilariously geeky game of hypothetical battles.

Who has two thumbs (up) and a board game coming out from Rio Grande? This guy. Gladiators (Rio Grande)

PIZZA IN SPAAAAACE! Cambridge Games Facotry and Spoiled Flush Games Cosmic Pizza coming soon.

Matrix Solitaire, likely the best Solitaire game you will ever play.
    Spoiled Flush Games

Twitter... where I talk about game design and beer.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: New Rogue Archetype: The Thug

I like it. It seems like a great attempt at creating your stereotypical thug rogue.

At first I thought the 3rd level ability was underpowered, but it's true advantage is hidden in the ability to wield any non-finesse weapon for sneak attack.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Instead of all weapons, it should just be the great club. I'd suggest another feature in place of Armor of Doubt, which is incredibly op.

Something like:

"Bigga Beata": Increases greatclub damage die to d10. Maybe later add:

"Put Some Nailz Innit" changes great club damage to pierce and increases the damage die to d12.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by bloodshed343 View Post
    Instead of all weapons, it should just be the great club. I'd suggest another feature in place of Armor of Doubt, which is incredibly op.

Something like:

"Bigga Beata": Increases greatclub damage die to d10. Maybe later add:

"Put Some Nailz Innit" changes great club damage to pierce and increases the damage die to d12.
    Do you really think the 9th level power is OP? If you take damage from any source in combat, it stops working. It also doesn't work on undead, constructs, or any other creature type immune to fear.
    Last edited by Human Paragon 3; 2014-12-02 at 03:51 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Who has two thumbs (up) and a board game coming out from Rio Grande? This guy. Gladiators (Rio Grande)

PIZZA IN SPAAAAACE! Cambridge Games Facotry and Spoiled Flush Games Cosmic Pizza coming soon.

Spoiled Flush Games

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MadBear View Post
    At first I thought the 3rd level ability was underpowered, but it's true advantage is hidden in the ability to wield any non-finesse weapon for sneak attack.
    Including improvised weapons if you have the Tavern Brawler feat.

What did you think the ability did before you realized it allowed you to SA with non-finesse weapons?
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Human Paragon 3 View Post
    Including improvised weapons if you have the Tavern Brawler feat.

What did you think the ability did before you realized it allowed you to SA with non-finesse weapons?
    At first glance, I just thought the 3rd level ability added intimidating presence. (What you wrote was clear, I just skim a bit)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I might consider adding on medium armor prof. Since you won't be Dex based anymore you are loosing out on AC in exchange for any gain from bigger weapons.

Otherwise I like it. Particularly like how it allows for an "opportunist" type fighter.
    Last edited by Regulas; 2014-12-02 at 04:10 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8

it might be nice to give them some way to disarm enemies so they have better control over the use of the intimidating presence feature as a fun battle tactic.

like you could disarm a guy then intimidate him into surrendering or running away mid battle.

in general though I really like what you have and think the balance is actually quite good.
    My Characters:

Rai'un - Monk(8)/Warlock(2) :: The Westfold: Homebrew persistent open world campaign RIP
    Myrion Farcaster - Rogue (no levels) :: The Adventurers Code Vice: homebrew RP campaign RIP
    Pellanistra Tuin'tarl - Paladin (10), Rogue (1) :: Drow underdark campaign RIP

all the campaigns....they are died....

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Regulas View Post
    I might consider adding on medium armor prof. Since you won't be Dex based anymore you are loosing out on AC in exchange for any gain from bigger weapons.
    I like where your head's at. Do you think it's OK to just toss medium armor on top of everything?

If the archetype doesn't grant medium armor, they'd have to find another way to get it (i.e. through a feat, race, or multiclass choice).
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

i like it ..lots of flavor here. would be cool to incorporate some brawling stuff too...like sucker punch or haymaker (maybe at low levels fist attacks would make sense).
    check out my deviant art page here http://selkirk.deviantart.com/

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
    i like it ..lots of flavor here. would be cool to incorporate some brawling stuff too...like sucker punch or haymaker (maybe at low levels fist attacks would make sense).
    I'd just recommend taking the Tavern Brawler feat. It pairs very well with the archetype.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'd just recommend taking the Tavern Brawler feat. It pairs very well with the archetype.
    that does work pretty well ...but still there are so many fun things contained within. leg whip , eyepoke , dirt in face ... even biting :D. dragonborn thug could be pretty vicious.
    Last edited by Selkirk; 2014-12-02 at 04:24 PM.
    check out my deviant art page here http://selkirk.deviantart.com/

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I like where your head's at. Do you think it's OK to just toss medium armor on top of everything?

If the archetype doesn't grant medium armor, they'd have to find another way to get it (i.e. through a feat, race, or multiclass choice).
    I do question the power, and it really depends on the relative power of the weapon usage, though valor bards get it as an addon for them. And there are trad-offs like sneak penalty and having no use for high dex (which further hurts normally roguish things), so you basically just become a type of unique fighter, that is far more my style then any of the other ones.

Also note that as far as power goes the better weapons damage buff doesn't scale since you don't get multiple attacks.

For this archetype I picture the "cunning brute", the character who seems a bit like a thickset brutish fighter, but whom actually relies heavily on cunning and cleverness and knows how to take advantage of his size strength and intimidating nature.

You can try running some math but ultimately would probably have to just try it out.
    Last edited by Regulas; 2014-12-02 at 04:55 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

Do you really think the 9th level power is OP? If you take damage from any source in combat, it stops working. It also doesn't work on undead, constructs, or any other creature type immune to fear.
    It works out to about +5 ac against the majority of enemies in the game.

A large selling point of 5e was that low level mooks could still challenge a high level character in numbers. This can give you an effective 25 ac. That's the same as a god. Those cr 1 or 2 nooks will only hit on a nat 20. You, in all likelihood, won't take any damage unless every enemy is focusing on you. If you have any sort of Frontline tank soaking up hits or use your roguish talents to disengage, then it's likely you'll never take damage at all.

Also, thugs don't use halberds. Give them sneak attack with great clubs and improvised weapons.

Maybe add extra attack as a 9th level feature.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by bloodshed343 View Post
    It works out to about +5 ac against the majority of enemies in the game.

A large selling point of 5e was that low level mooks could still challenge a high level character in numbers. This can give you an effective 25 ac. That's the same as a god. Those cr 1 or 2 nooks will only hit on a nat 20. You, in all likelihood, won't take any damage unless every enemy is focusing on you. If you have any sort of Frontline tank soaking up hits or use your roguish talents to disengage, then it's likely you'll never take damage at all.

Also, thugs don't use halberds. Give them sneak attack with great clubs and improvised weapons.

Maybe add extra attack as a 9th level feature.
    What is your thing with clubs? It's just odd.

Also for the bonus to AC, that's as much up to the DM as anything. As soon as he takes any damage at all he looses it's benefit so it's only really OP if the DM avoids getting around it.

You could always make it so it instead of being until he takes damage make them take a cha (intimidate) save or else they have disadvantage. Save on every attack until they succeed one.

16. - Top - End - #16

I know right? and aside from the clubs i can't take anyone who says/writes the words "Bigga Beata" and "Put Some Nailz Innit" seriously
    My Characters:

Rai'un - Monk(8)/Warlock(2) :: The Westfold: Homebrew persistent open world campaign RIP
    Myrion Farcaster - Rogue (no levels) :: The Adventurers Code Vice: homebrew RP campaign RIP
    Pellanistra Tuin'tarl - Paladin (10), Rogue (1) :: Drow underdark campaign RIP

all the campaigns....they are died....

17. - Top - End - #17

I'm of the opinion that I should never be taken seriously.

Also, all thugs are orks.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Flavor-wise, what does this accomplish that a STR-Thief or a Champion with a Criminal background does not?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by EvilAnagram View Post
    Flavor-wise, what does this accomplish that a STR-Thief or a Champion with a Criminal background does not?
    Flavour wise what can be accomplished by a rogue, barbarian, paladin, or Hunter-Ranger that a fighter cannot? Why are there multiple Arcane classes? Why are there clerics AND druids?

These kinds of subclasses are about the flavour of the mechanics moreso then pure flavour by itself. So the point here would be to be an opportunistic fighter rather then a flurry of attacks.

In that vein I was thinking for intimidate power at lvl 3: What about instead if when you attack you can make an intimidate check as a bonus action, if you succeed that specific attack gains advantage, but if you fail the target can't be affected again that day.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I agree with this. But rather, I would choose Battlemaster with Criminal background. You can sneak, you have easy access to Intimidation skill, you have some maneuvers which can be reflavoured to dirty fighting and can be extremely useful for team rogue in thematic party (for example, extra attack for him).

For me, It perfectly fit that "Thug" should be. No need to homebrew here.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

I would limit the thug weapon proficiency. I see no reason for them to run around with polearms, for example. Simple weapons should be enough IMO (morningstar, for example).

Instead of the armor of doubt ability, I'd like to see something triggering off of sneak attack, like forcing a condition. Knee-cap busting or hamstring-cutting for example, halving the opponent speed.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gwendol View Post
    I would limit the thug weapon proficiency. I see no reason for them to run around with polearms, for example. Simple weapons should be enough IMO (morningstar, for example).

Instead of the armor of doubt ability, I'd like to see something triggering off of sneak attack, like forcing a condition. Knee-cap busting or hamstring-cutting for example, halving the opponent speed.
    You are forgetting that they havn't gained any weapon profeciencies beyond a normal rogue.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Right, got side tracked by the ensuing discussion.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Regulas View Post
    Flavour wise what can be accomplished by a rogue, barbarian, paladin, or Hunter-Ranger that a fighter cannot? Why are there multiple Arcane classes? Why are there clerics AND druids?
    This is not really a good point at all. Rogues, Barbarians, Paladins, and Rangers all have distinct flavors from a fighter (Finesse-based skill monkey and opportunistic combatant, primal warrior who flies into uncontrollable rages, knight who draws on divine power to fuel his magic, warrior with strong ties to nature). Clerics derive their powers from gods, Druids from nature. The different arcane classes all have different sources and play quite differently.

The Thug is a big, tough criminal. A STR-based Thief fits that role. A Fighter with a Criminal background fits that role.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

This is not really a good point at all. Rogues, Barbarians, Paladins, and Rangers all have distinct flavors from a fighter (Finesse-based skill monkey and opportunistic combatant, primal warrior who flies into uncontrollable rages, knight who draws on divine power to fuel his magic, warrior with strong ties to nature). Clerics derive their powers from gods, Druids from nature. The different arcane classes all have different sources and play quite differently.

The Thug is a big, tough criminal. A STR-based Thief fits that role. A Fighter with a Criminal background fits that role.
    A Thug is an intimidating opportunistic fighter. All of the thief abilities are pretty much wasted meaning that subtype has no purpose since a thug is not focused on dex which is the thiefs speciality. You could just say STR based rogue, but since there is no real sub-type for it hence this build.

A criminal background adds some of the flavour but doesn't get the intimidation benefits, infact a barbarian berserker with criminal background would be closer since it does get an intimidation like ability.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

the class is amazing idea IMO but I think it should have a different name than thug, maybe brute or something of the like. Thug just sounds more like part of the criminal background than an actual class. If you could figure out a different name I'd be down

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I suppose it could be a fighter's subclass, too. Just replace the first ability with a sneak attack die or something. Or maybe the ability to grant advantage to an ally within 5 feet as a bonus action.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

28. - Top - End - #28

And thugs use clubs. It's what they do. And I agree with removing Armor of Doubt in favor of "Knock 'em Down" allowing you to prone an enemy when you get your sneak attack. With a bonus action intimidate check to keep them from standing up next turn.

29. - Top - End - #29

Then add an ability that gives you bonus damage to prone opponents. 1/2/3 extra sneak attack die.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Why can't a thug use a sword? Or an axe? Or a war hammer? Are rogues even proficient in greatclub?
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games