New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 66
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Lentrax's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    In the Final Frontier
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Everybody wants to rule the world. (IC)

    Life is quiet in the small town of Femost in the middle of the threshold. People come and go. Trade flows through the countryside. And things seem to be shaping up to make this, the year of the Golden Blades, year 262 by the calendar of the Archmagi.

    Then the crier comes riding into town. He is clearly, from his voluminous purple robes and golden hat, a messenger from the Towers of the Archmagi.

    Hear ye, Hear ye! The honorable Archmagi of the Tower make this proclamation! The hour of the Prophecy draws near! This world must be readied, to defend itself from the Shadow Realm. They proclaim the following! To the chosen ones go the Prize. The magics of the Arbiters will be granted upon those who can unite the Threshold! Only the wisest, only the bravest will be able to do this. Unite the Threshold, and win the glory of leading the battle against the Ultimate darkness!

    For Glory! For Arret!


    Then the rider is gone, his horse vanishing in the distance in a blur of magic.

    Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

    Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.


    A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

    Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

    Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

    Follow me on Twitter!

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground
     
    dantiesilva's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Everybody wants to rule the world. (IC)

    High Farther Alexander Anderson had been living his life for many years as any normal priest would. Praising his god as the sun rose up into the morning sky over the mountains yonder, and helping the sick each day. Most days remained the same, and as such it became routine for Alexander, like breathing as he trained with the monks in the courtyard. All of the monks were much younger then this old man, however all knew his strength of will, not once had the old man ever given up no matter how hard the challenge they were doing, even when his old bones screamed out against his body. So it caught them all by shock when suddenly Alexander seemed to stop doing everything as he turned like a hawk towards the messenger. It can't be, I thought this would happen well after my old bones were in the grave. Alexander thought to himself as he looked to the teacher who was training everyone in the morning exercises. Master Iroh I have to get going, this is a matter of importance. Everyone have a blessed day and remember no matter how difficult the challenge seems, so long as your mind is strong enough to endure it so can your body. With that Alexander walked over to a very old looking set of fullplate armor set on a dummy. A solar disc made up the majority of the chest piece, with solar rays seeming to come out of the once proud armor. With much struggling, and a little help from the younger students, Alexander eventually got his fullplate on and lifted up a heavy mace and attached it to his belt as he began walking towards the main gate of the pelorite compound, the thought of heading to the town hall is the first thing on his mind as he thinks about all his friends he would be leaving behind to protect them from the oncoming darkness. He would be the first of many no doubt to lay their life on the line to hold back the darkness, and who better to combat it then a priest of the shining one.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Everybody wants to rule the world. (IC)

    Stephanus Ridgefall stands off to the side of what crowd has gathered around where the messenger was standing. He casually munches on some bread, mulling over what he just heard. The stares of people passing by barely register to him; He doesn't see himself as outlandish as he actually is.
    Well, that was interesting. I never heard about any prophecy. Granted, I've been too busy running around to pay attention to world politics. Hmm...
    He folds his left arm under this right and tilts his head to the side while he thinks, still casually munching on the bread he has. Perhaps this is the time for him to hit it big. Time to stop running around from place to place, dodging police.
    I'm a competent mage, I can do anything these people could possibly want people to do. Besides, its about time for me to become a household word, and what better way than to save the world from some shadow thing!
    A wry grin crosses his face. It'll be perfect! I save the world, gain some power, set up a regime change, and cruise into leadership town! His grin then turns into a horrified stare, as an important piece of information catches up with him.
    Wait...I've been spending the last few years running from cops for petty theft and other menial things. If that gets out...I'll look lame as hells! Just means I have to work fast and then cover my past. Hey, and that even rhymes!
    He swallows the last bit of his bread before heading out towards the town center. His massive coat flows around and nearly knocks over multiple people as he pushes his way through the crowd, mumbling quick and insincere apologies to each.

    Spoiler: For Reference-Description
    Show
    Not too tall, too short, too wide or too thin, this man still carries himself as larger than life. Blonde Hair pulled into a short tail and two way too long bangs hanging off to the sides of his face, with black roots showing, cloudy blue eyes, and a small nose with no facial hair. His clothing consists of a pair of completely black dress pants, with silver stitchings of dragon iconography throughout. A white dress shirt with very puffy collar, always with the top two buttons left open, to show off his (admittedly well toned) bare chest. Over this he has a dark brown vest (he swears it was black when he bought it) with the center cut down to just below where his shirt hangs open. To top it off, he always wears a huge grey-white overcoat, which is always open in the front, has a popped collar which reaches up to his ears, tails which almost touch the floor, and it always seems to stay way more stiff than fabric normally should. It is covered in golden stiching of yet more dragon iconography, and an elaborate design of his pseudonym "Elmo Blast" on his back. The only thing holding up this monstrosity is a wide brown belt with a single silver dagger holstered. He never actually attacks with it. A braided rope bracelet is always found on his left wrist, much less fancy than the rest of his getup.
    Any and all implied condescension, hatred, or distasteful subtext is entirely accidental. Internet context can be difficult, and I always mean well with anything I say.
    Anyone in the UCLA Westwood area looking for players, I'm looking for game groups. (UCLA Medical Physics Grad Student)

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Everybody wants to rule the world. (IC)

    It was Market Day in Femost. The market square was open every day but this day of the week was busiest as traditionally the local farmers came in from their fields with their freshest goods and needing fresh supplies. Traveling merchants would ensure their routes would have them arrive in time for each town's Market Day, which varied by town in order to accommodate the travelers and their needed goods. It wasn't a formal system, but developed over the decades informally by convenience for all.

    Rigar Goldfoot casually walked the busy square. The solidly built dwarf wore finely crafted breastplate. His helm hung from his waist and his unusually large waraxe with an axehead the size of some shields was strapped to his back. He was on watch but not so much for criminals. The merchants would hire battle school students as temporary low cost well-trained guards which for the students gained real world experience. It was a three way win for the merchants, students, and the school who would make some profit off it. On Market Day Rigar would be there watching his students. Even though he was not the head of the school he was one of the main instructors and he expected more from the students than just excelling with a weapon. The regular merchants knew that if there was real trouble Rigar would be around to step in.

    The messenger arrived and called out the message to all. It created a stir throughout the square but Rigar was already on the move. He quickly spoke to each working student, telling them to maintain their role with further instructions coming later from Djanriss, the battle school master. From there he went back to the school and delivered the news to Djanriss. Djanriss knew what Rigar was about to say next and nodded in agreement. Rigar had always felt a calling for war from Clanggedin Silverbeard and had come to this school to prepare for leading in battle. His time had come to pursue the next step of the calling. They embraced forearm to forearm as warriors do. Rigar went to his room, grabbed his gear, and headed to the town hall.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Rigar will speak in Maroon.

    Had I heard of this prophecy? What do I know of it?
    Knowledge (History): (1d20+4)[11]
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

    Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Lentrax's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    In the Final Frontier
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Everybody wants to rule the world. (IC)

    As coincidence would have it, you each arrived in the town center at roughly the same time. Once you make your way through the last of the crowd, you see the Elder's circle gathered. The five men stood together, talking to themselves about how they would defend the village against the attacks that were sure to come soon enough.

    "A wall? Labor'll be hard enough to come by for regular work, what with warlords is gonna be pressin' men into service. But to get enough to build a wall? Ain't happening. No way."

    "Jerrith is right, besides, a wall just makes us seem a better target."

    "Pelac, for the gods' sakes. Listen to you. Suggesting we cower?"

    "No, I just want our village to surv-" Pelac notices you coming into the open center.

    "Can we help you?"

    Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

    Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.


    A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

    Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

    Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

    Follow me on Twitter!

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground
     
    dantiesilva's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Everybody wants to rule the world. (IC)

    As High Father Alexander Anderson arrives at the town hall he notices two others seem to have had the same idea as him and he nods his head in acknowledgement to them. It comes as no surprise Master Rigar came, but what of this stranger, I have not seen him in town before. Alexander says to himself as he looks at the dwarf before looking at the stranger by his side. It has been a long time Master Rigar Goldfoot, a student of yours? Alexander asks pointing to the stranger as he waits for the elders, if they could even be called that given his age, to acknowledge them.

    Soon enough though they do and Alexander looks down at one of the chairs before going to sit down. Hope you don't mind, but I think it would be best if I sit for a bit. the old pelorite priest says to the elders kindly before speaking up. I take it by now the whole entire town has heard about the time of the prophecy being upon us, and because of that we both know they will be coming here soon looking for answers or packing their bags and fleeing to a more well guarded town. As you pointed out the warlords will no doubt try to conscript most of them, however until they do it may be best to think of ways to protect our homes without making it look defensible. I believe the old druids call it playing possum. Alexander says before reaching for a glass and a pitcher on the table and pouring himself a drink of water. Taking a quick swing to quench his thirst and get the dust out of his lungs the old wise man continued. Why not start working on ways to make the houses themselves harder to break into, I know the church and no doubt Master Rigars training camp are highly defensible and could hold of an attack for a long period of time, however why stop their, we could always start making a network of tunnels as well below our very town, this way should someone get stranded in their home they could still escape, and no bandits or attackers would know about it. The old man says, giving testimony to his old age by his ideas of war, and how they should be fought. He was not like many nowadays who thought to line up in neat rows and columns and attack, but more of a defensive coordinated attack from a smaller area where numbers meant nothing.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Everybody wants to rule the world. (IC)

    Warning! Extreme Cheese Incoming!
    Reaching the square, and the elders talking about important things, Stephanus notices two other rather heavily clad individuals of note after a brief scan of the crowd. He makes brief eye contact with the older one and narrows his eyes in an attempt to gain a temporary sense of superiority, but also to check out the two. Realizing that the man had ignored his gaze completely, Stephanus gets agitated as he sets up his big plan.
    Those two seem to be my only real competition here. The beefy dwarf looks tough, but not all that dangerous, and the old man looks like he could die to a stiff breeze. But there is something about him...He's just so...charming. In an annoyingly nice way. But I have a much more powerful weapon than his natural charm; Youth! You might be wise, but I can act!

    He carefully casts a Prestidigitation spell so as not to draw immediate attention, setting it to clean his garments and teeth for the moment.
    Have to look good, make a good impression. That is how you get known.
    Noticing the old man start to speak, he begins practicing his introduction in his head, miming out his gestures in a reserved way. The actual content of the conversation is drowned out by his own thoughts, save a few key words; "Warlords," "prophecy," "attack," answers."
    Alright, you can do this Stepho...Just need to nail the presentation and they should be begging me to help them. I can see it now... His eyes glaze over as he imagines the future, and a small smile creeps over his face. It'll be so great, Stephanus the wonder-worker...WAIT! Gotta have a new name. Hmm, gotta be catchy, but not that normal. Shows power, but not barbarism. Something "Blast" would work. I've always liked the name Elmo. "Elmo Blast." I can work with that.
    He repeats the name to himself a few more times as he waits for a moment to interject. Hearing the end of a sentence about bandits, he chooses the moment and jumps in.

    Waving his hands around and shifting his stance to punctuate his statements, he begins. "Help against attacks, you say? Well look no further! Cool, yet spontaneous; valorus, yet subtle, the master of disaster and King of swing. Hailing from far off lands near the boundaries of existance, descendant of the strongest dragons both known and unknown. Show me an army and I will tear it to the ground; A master of all things arcane, and a stud to boot, I am the biggest thing to come to this world, and if you don't know about me already, you sure as hells will! A name that will ring throughout the world for eons to come:"

    Raising his right hand behind him and above his head, while leaning forwards and moving his other arm in front, he throws back his right foot and screams the last part with all the vigor he can manage. Good, just stick the landing!

    "ELMO BLAST!"

    Raising his right hand behind him and above his head, while leaning forwards and moving his other arm in front, he throws back his right foot and screams the last part with all the vigor he can manage. He mentally pushes his Prestidigitation spell to its absolute limit, making tiny fireworks go off around him and brightening his coat's golden colors. He holds the stance for a moment before straightening himself and folding his arms, placing his left hand on his chin and smiling devilishly, turning just enough for the sun to shine off his perfectly white teeth. Closing his eyes, he takes in the performance and reflects.


    Bingo...

    Spoiler: OOC-Notation
    Show
    Holy Wall of Text, Batman! The cheese is real!
    For reference's sake, I will be using Medium Blue for Stephanus/Elmo while he is in his normal state, possible moving to a darker color for times when he would get depressed or psychopathic. Unless someone has an aversion to the Blue on White of the background, in which case I can change is up a bit. In addition, what he says is in quotations, while what he thinks is in Italics.
    As a final note, none of what he said is to be taken as a way to say he will be anti-party. He knows most of what he says is BS, but his image is all he has, and wants to keep it up where possible.
    Any and all implied condescension, hatred, or distasteful subtext is entirely accidental. Internet context can be difficult, and I always mean well with anything I say.
    Anyone in the UCLA Westwood area looking for players, I'm looking for game groups. (UCLA Medical Physics Grad Student)

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground
     
    dantiesilva's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Everybody wants to rule the world. (IC)

    As the newcomer entered the building Alexander looked at him oddly, Perhaps the boys sick, or maybe lost. Wait is he actually staring at me. Alexander laughs as he remembers when the young monks used to do the same thing before he tumbled right past them. Ignoring the boy for the moment Alexander went back to his discussion.

    Just when he finished he happily sat back and was getting ready to relax when the young brat began using magic to produce some sparkling lights like some showman or something. Great now we got a storyteller in our midst who claims to be descendent of dragons and uses all this flashy stuff. Perhaps I should just hit him over the head maybe that will knock some sense into the lad no skullcrusher? the old man said as he looked down to his heavy mace with a hint of amusement in his eyes. Tell me boy do you plan on using whatever power you do have just to look good and entertain the enemies while the real warriors do the fighting? Go back home and play with ye mother. Us adults are talking about important matters you know and we don't need all these, distractions flying around. Alexander says swatting away one of the incoming fireworks away from his glass of water.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Well we shall have a battle of youth shall we, I think this will actually be an amusing relationship between the two.Stephanus trying to rush in and be on the offensive, while Alexander is instead setting up plans so that when the boy comes back he has an army to defend him from the people chasing him lol.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Everybody wants to rule the world. (IC)

    Upon reaching the council the high priest greets him. Rigar warmly nods in return. "Greetings Father. I did not know you had a fine set of armor like that. Impressive. Him? No armor, no weapon? No, I don't know-" Rigar is cut off by the council's attention. He listens intently to the priest's wisdom, considering the pros and cons of his suggestions. He is about to make his comments when the stranger interrupts with his bombastic speech. Rigar stands and watches in disbelief with a hairy red eyebrow raised. Performance complete, the priest lays into the youth while Rigar's eyebrows return to normal replaced by a small smirk hidden by his beard. As the priest swats at the special effects, Rigar steps forward and intercedes in a very calm manner.

    "Gentlemen, Council... this is a time for level headed planning. Except for the stranger here, you all know of me. I do not own the battle school but it, and I, call Femost home. We do not want to see this town be overrun. A town with no defenses becomes easy pickings. Effective defenses come in many layers. Strong buildings are a last line of defense. There are plenty of means to add layers of defense for us without draining our workforce to nothing. A couple of simple watchtowers can give us warning. Communicating with the surrounding towns and villages greatly increase that warning time. A short, not grand, wall gives us cover to fight from and keeps the enemy from easily infiltrating or overrunning the town. A few hours a week of weapons training won't make elite soldiers but will give people a fighting chance should it come to that. For those that get conscripted that training will help them make it back alive."

    "I do have to disagree with building tunnels. They take a lot of skill and effort in order to have tunnels that will not collapse on their own never-mind withstand water seeping through the earth over time, also causing them to collapse. Perhaps dig hidden cellars for people to hide in if necessary. Building a minimal wall is safer, easier, and more effective. If our new friend here"
    directs attention to the stranger "is as blasty as he claims then the effort for building a wall and other defenses is greatly decreased, and he can blast away at any who dare attack us."

    "Of people leaving for better guarded towns, why not be one of those towns? Attracting people will give us more labor to build better defenses and have a larger militia to repel any attackers. If I had an army out to cause destruction I would first attack those areas that offered little or no resistance."

    "Fortunately the attack is not on our doorstep. We have time to prepare. How much time we have is something to also discover. The Council does need to make a decision- prepare or abandon the town? Staying without preparing gives the townsfolk no chance to survive even though many will probably stay anyway. If the decision is to prepare, the Council should appoint someone to be in charge of the preparations while the Council continues to run the town. Thank you for listening Council."


    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Makes me want to go watch Seven Samurai again.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

    Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Everybody wants to rule the world. (IC)

    Stephanus nods in agreement with the dwarf. Thank you good sir, for making this much less awkward.
    "Now this is someone I can get behind."
    And not just for cover, since he's shorter than me.
    "Intelligent use of ones resources is the key to victory on any front. Sending away a potential ally just because of his manner is at best inefficient."
    And at worst, condescending. Jerk...

    He nods a few more times, as if to agree with himself.
    "I'll admit I know little of this town; being a perennial drifter has it's disadvantages. So I'll concede to you, sir, on the best thing for this place. And despite my appearance, I'm not so pompous as to put myself above some labor, but neither do I call myself a tactician, so send me wherever you feel my particular talents for magical combat would be most useful."

    He smirks again, thinking he has ingratiated himself with the leaders here. Perhaps I can come up with a small show in case of attack. A bit of a bluff of our potential threat level, with all the bombast that entails. Might be harder, given the limited resources here, and me not being an illusionist. Gonna need a bit of the old Stepho~ Lateral Thinking!

    Brainstorming the possibilities, he strains to not let the old priest's words get to him; the memories of his mother and home hang from his wrist as an emotional ball and chain.
    Just you watch, Mom. Your son's gonna do something awesome!
    Any and all implied condescension, hatred, or distasteful subtext is entirely accidental. Internet context can be difficult, and I always mean well with anything I say.
    Anyone in the UCLA Westwood area looking for players, I'm looking for game groups. (UCLA Medical Physics Grad Student)

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Lentrax's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    In the Final Frontier
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Everybody wants to rule the world. (IC)

    "These are all good points to consider. But none of us on the council are truly warriors. The only thing we do know is that any undertaking we begin will require a vast amount of gold to undertake. And fortunately, we do have an idea as to where to start looking for that."

    "Yes. About ten days to the east is an abandoned dwarven stripmine. The place was abandoned after attacks from organized bandits became too much for the dwarves. As the dwarves were retreating they claimed the site to be mined out, but we are not so sure, especially since they have been looking to construct new operations in the area."

    "We do not suppose you could go and investigate and bring back whatever you can for us?"

    Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

    Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.


    A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

    Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

    Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

    Follow me on Twitter!

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground
     
    dantiesilva's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Everybody wants to rule the world. (IC)

    This old thing. High Father Alexander Anderson says pointing to the suit of armor he was wearing, I got this back when I was still young and thought I could fight a dragon with my bare hands. Mind you I never tried, but still. Now it is a reminder of long ago days. High father Alexander says as his eyes seem to be seeing something no one else can see, perhaps it is old battles against undead, or maybe even old battlefields covered in wounded, the old man seems not to be letting lose any of that information however.

    Alexander then sits forward leaning his arms onto the council table as he listens to what Rigar had to say, after all he was old, especially for a human. He was well past his prime to rule, and instead had to take on the role of an adviser, he knew this all to well as an old man could not lead an army. His old bones would become to tired and he would fall in battle to easily. Rigar I will go with your better judgement on the tunnels, as a dwarf your people, even at a young age know more about such things then I who have never tried digging a long term tunnel in my life. Alexander says kindly as he looks to his friend. However the watchtowers may be a bit to soon don't you think? If we expand quickly we will have an early warning system as you say, however now we leave our city open to attack with no walls as you put it. If we do anything it should be building the short wall you suggested first then along with the weapon drills. I am sure your master would be more then happy to have new recruits, and I can speak with the head priest of my order and see if he will have time to train some in the arts of healing. After all a good soldier is fine, but someone who can keep that warrior fighting is just as valuable if not more at times like these. the old man says kindly, before once more taking a drink, almost as if talking for long periods of time dried out his lungs.

    The old man then listens to the young boy, a stranger in their town who had seemed more about presentation then actual skill as he pointed out how it was a bad idea to send away potential help. If the wind wishes to blow to the south, it shall blow to the south. No matter what man dose, without magic they can not make it blow north. The old priests says not sure if the young lad would get what he was saying, but hoping enough that it would make him at least think. However when he speaks of having them send him wherever they thought his talents would best suit them the old priest stands up. You say you are good at blasting things yes? If we are to know how to best use you, it would be wise to know what you can do. Use me as your target boy, unless any of you have an objection. I should be able to take it, after all can't let the young think I am to old to help now can I. Alexander says as he lifts his heavy mace into his frail hands and a golden shield seems to surround his body and it seems to gain the appearance of youth.

    Spoiler: Spell cast
    Show
    Conviction for a +2 to all saves for 30 minutes unless someone objects to him throwing a spell at me.


    Non the less as the council once more speaks up Alexander nods at what they have said. I may have the most life experience in this group, however I am ill fit to lead, and an outsider who knows nothing of us knows to little of our customs to lead. Never mind he would not have the peoples respect, I think that leaves us with my friend here, and if he will take upon the title I shall grant him all my lifes knowledge to help him in the aid of our home. Alexander says as he turns to look to see what Rigar would choose.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Everybody wants to rule the world. (IC)

    Stephanus is taken aback by the sudden response from the old man. All the times he has had altercations with people trying to put down his skills, this is the first time that someone wanted him to hit them. He thinks for a moment as the man responds to the council. If he goes through with it, he keeps his ego strong but possibly hurts the man, and almost definitely damages his reputation with the general populace here. On the other hand, refusing would make him seem weak or not confident in his skills. Plus, I really don't want to give this guy any satisfaction. But I don't want to ruin this budding relationship with that dwarf guy. Hmm...
    The man thinks for a moment before turning to the old man and catches him casting a spell. Oh! He's a caster. In that case, he should understand exactly what he is getting himself into.

    Stephanus smirks at the thought, and takes a deep breath before speaking again.
    "I must say, you are the first person who has ever wanted me to attack them. I admire your courage there. Normally I wouldn't want to put people in such danger with my magic, but I will show those gathered my newest technique, which shows off my draconic heritage quite well. Now, watch carefully; I'm only going to do this once."
    He slowly moves forward, breathing deep in the process, until he comes to a few feet from the older man. He pulls out a gold coin and spins it in-between his fingers to show that there is nothing strange with it. Saying a few deep words in the Draconic language, he flips the coin far into the air. While it floats its way through its travel, he makes arcane gestures, flourishing where possible, and wraps his right hand into a fist, while keeping his left open and flat. As the coin falls he holds his right hand out as if to have it land on his closed fist, but at the last moment, he pulls it back slightly, and slams it into his open palm, catching the coin in the middle. His eyes land squarely on the man, and he exhales "Tails...", as a large translucent lizard tail flies out from his back and strikes at the old man.

    I'm going to enjoy this...

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    While I assume that you actually want me to cast, I feel that he would still keep himself somewhat reserved during this act, just in case.
    Casting Defensively (1d20+9)[19] VS DC17 Tail Slap(RotD, 2nd level)

    Attack Roll: (1d20+3)[18] VS Touch AC (Despite being a spell, it uses Strength)
    Damage (2d6)[9]

    Possible Crit (1d20+3)[6]
    Crit Damage (2d6)[7]

    Also, as per the spell description, since this is the first round of the spell, you must make a Str check versus DC16 or be pushed back 5ft+5ft/5 damage taken(rounded down); or 10ft.
    Last edited by Zak the Paladin; 2014-12-21 at 10:08 PM.
    Any and all implied condescension, hatred, or distasteful subtext is entirely accidental. Internet context can be difficult, and I always mean well with anything I say.
    Anyone in the UCLA Westwood area looking for players, I'm looking for game groups. (UCLA Medical Physics Grad Student)

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground
     
    dantiesilva's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Everybody wants to rule the world. (IC)

    Personal growth comes from knowing ones own limits, and learning how to expand them, as well as control them without endangering allies. By doing this I test myself to make sure I still have the ability I did as a young man to take such punishment, and you show those of us here the extent of your powers allowing us to know what to expect from you. Alexander says kindly, as he grips his heavy mace. Keep in mind however in combat you do not always have the time to cast, especially when the enemy is right before you, and you have no ally to defend you. he adds, waiting for the young mage who claimed draconic heritage to make his move.

    As the two begin to face off Alexander listens to the words of power intoned, after all even if he did not understand the language spoken magic itself always had the tell tale signs of what it could be. Looking up for a split second, he watches as the coin is tossed into the air, before beginning to lift his heavy mace up into his hands, ready to hit the boy before him as he notices the tale coming from behind. A ploy, I see however he barely got it to work against me at my old age. Wait thats coming kind of..offffph. Alexander says as the tale connects with the man, missing the deadly spikes upon his armor. In his younger days he may have been able to resist such a blow pushing him back, however Alexander was no longer young, and knowing this instead tried to tumble before falling down, using the force of the tail itself as leverage as he did so before getting back up.

    The tail slap spell, while it is indeed powerful, against younger people then myself it will not be very effective. For starters you have to be close to them, like you were to me. Meaning they can retaliate if you are not careful, had I not looked up you would have learned why skullcrusher earned his name. Alexander says patting the mace he was rehocking back to his belt. The greatest ability about the spell is that it is also defensive and tries to force an enemy back, in this case it was possible due to me no longer having the strength I once had, and preparing instead to counter a different kind of spell. You have natural talent I can give you that much, however read the situation better as do you think you would have been able to dodge skullcrusher while casting? Alexander says as he slowly make his way back to his chair and begins healing his wounds.

    Spoiler
    Show


    Tumble check for fun no real mechanical purpose to it, more to show off he is not just an old man (1d20+4)[13] Hey saying he has a -3 in that roll thats not bad
    And transforming balor nimbus into a healing spell (2d8+2)[4]

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Everybody wants to rule the world. (IC)

    Stephanus ("Elmo") seethes beneath his smug exterior. The attack struck home, and seemed to do the damage he expected; in fact, the man was forced back just as intended. However, his air of superiority never dwindled.
    Damn this guy. Is this what it means to get old? To walk around lecturing people and being condescending? I am SO dieing before I'm 40. Worst part is, he isn't wrong. Buuut, it does seem that people don't instantly hate me for this, so that's a plus. Just got to play up the right angle, and they will be all about me by the end of this mess.

    The young man just smirks, and crosses his arms, having the tail do the movements his arms would normally do, if only to point out the extremity's persistance.
    "I am well aware of the risks and downsides to my spells, else I wouldn't use them. However, your quip about being close loses some of its bite coming from a spellcaster talking more about his mace than his magic. Besides, this is but one of my many tricks, and I would lose the element of surprise to show them all here, so perhaps we can move on to other, more pressing topics." He finishes by waving his tail in a dismissive way, both towards the words from the older man as well as to move the conversation along. He turns eagerly towards the elders, happy to end the previous exchange before things get out of hand."Mines, potentially filled with enemies, threatening this town? Sounds like a significantly better use of time for those gathered than showing off; though I do love showing off." He turns again, towards Rigar the dwarf, and smiles wide, eager to get moving. "Lead on, my good sir, and let us be off!"
    Any and all implied condescension, hatred, or distasteful subtext is entirely accidental. Internet context can be difficult, and I always mean well with anything I say.
    Anyone in the UCLA Westwood area looking for players, I'm looking for game groups. (UCLA Medical Physics Grad Student)

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Everybody wants to rule the world. (IC)

    As Alexander takes his seat Rigar speaks up. "Heheheh. Well, he did take you by surprise even though you were asking and expecting it. Have to give him that. Looked like that blow could have easily dropped someone less inexperienced. You survived it well so that speaks well of you too. If we can get you two to work together that could be a good thing."

    "A dwarven mine eh? If that is what we need then yes, I'll go. As it is not a short trip I suggest preparations be started as possible in the mean time. I would ask for any aid the council can honor us with. Some horses and a handler would make it a much faster trip and allow us to carry more back with us. Some healing supplies would help ensure we make it back. If you two wish to come along and want me to lead then I'll do my best."
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

    Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Lentrax's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    In the Final Frontier
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Everybody wants to rule the world. (IC)

    A few days later, as you have been travelling down the road you spy from the top of a small hill the first signs of the coming storm. What appears to be an entire village is marching through the countryside, heading off east. You doubt they will be the last displaced village you will see.

    Continuing on your journey, you come across the small but always swift moving Selpe River. There is a crossing a day to the north, but with the continually rising numbers of people abandoning their own settlements to reach larger towns with better chances of protection. Many of those you question about it all say "Safety in Numbers, right?"


    Another several days and you start seeing signs that you are getting close. Broken axeheads. Signs in Dwarven pointing down trails and roads to various cities. You finally arrive at a collapsed entrance to what appears to be your destination. A broken support juts from the small hillside that remains overlooking the slumped remains of a cave in. There do not seem to be any discernible signs of entry to the collapsed mine.

    Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

    Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.


    A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

    Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

    Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

    Follow me on Twitter!

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Everybody wants to rule the world. (IC)

    "Elmo," anxious to be on solid ground, nearly fell getting off the horse, before rubbing his backside and stretching. His usual jovial demeanor is superseded by his discomfort from riding for so long. He looks at Alexander and shakes his head. "I don't understand how you two can ride so well in such heavy armor. If these horses were anything harder to control, I probably would have just walked..."

    He continues to stretch as he surveys the area. Hmm...Small, cramped, dingy, and far away from anyone who I would want to show off to. I guess it gives the old man a reason to focus on something other than plying me with his so-called wisdom. And I went through a ton of my food, too. I hate this crap.

    Walking up to the "entrance" to the mine, he surveys the rubble to see if he can figure out what caused the cave in. Though it has been a long time since he learned anything relevant, so little might come up.
    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Knowledge(Arch/Engi) (1d20+4)[23] to see if there is anything interesting he can gather from the cave in of the entrance, and perhaps spots that could hit to break it apart and make an entrance.
    Any and all implied condescension, hatred, or distasteful subtext is entirely accidental. Internet context can be difficult, and I always mean well with anything I say.
    Anyone in the UCLA Westwood area looking for players, I'm looking for game groups. (UCLA Medical Physics Grad Student)

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground
     
    dantiesilva's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Everybody wants to rule the world. (IC)

    The trek had been long and hard on the old and wise Alexander Anderson, and more then once he had though he may have popped out a joint or two. However when they arrived at their destination he couldn't help but laugh. Its because my armor is so heavy I am able to ride this horse. It knows enough that if it jousels around to much with me on it, one of the spikes will end up inside it of its own doing. Had it not been for them and the immense weight I doubt I would have been able to hold on, especially when the two of you thought it would be a good idea to race. Alexander says as he slowly gets down, trying to stretch his muscles after tying up his horse to a tree. Well anyone got any idea how to get in without colopasing the cave? he asks looking on as he knew nothing about this situation.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Lentrax's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    In the Final Frontier
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Everybody wants to rule the world. (IC)

    The cave in was probably caused by disrepair, though you won't be entirely certain until you get inside. You also know that one of the first things the dwarves would have done is cut several auxiliary shafts for emergency egress and proper airflow. You don't know exactly where they would have put them, being unfamiliar with the terrain, but you should be able to find one of them and it might be safer than trying to force your way through the main opening.

    Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

    Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.


    A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

    Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

    Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

    Follow me on Twitter!

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Everybody wants to rule the world. (IC)

    "Hey, at least it made things interesting..." "Elmo" sighs as he surveys the wrecked entrance. He had never been on the road with other people for that long before. It was actually a decent experience, although the slow pace just highlighted the boring nature of overland travel. And to think that they would have to spend the same amount of time coming back.
    "It's been some time since I learned anything like this, but there is no way we are getting in here. Probably some sort of side passage around here, but I have no idea how they lay their stuff out. You got any ideas, Rigar?"

    Man, I hope SOMETHING comes around soon, I feel like at this rate, I'm going to forget how to show off, having just stayed around these two for a week...
    Any and all implied condescension, hatred, or distasteful subtext is entirely accidental. Internet context can be difficult, and I always mean well with anything I say.
    Anyone in the UCLA Westwood area looking for players, I'm looking for game groups. (UCLA Medical Physics Grad Student)

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground
     
    dantiesilva's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Everybody wants to rule the world. (IC)

    As Elmo explains the situation Alexander thinks for a moment. Well if its a side passage we are looking for, perhaps we should simply walk around this hill until we find one we can enter. After all as you said there has to be one around here. Ridgar any idea in which direction your people tend to dig side passages? Alexander asks as he looks around the immediate area.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Everybody wants to rule the world. (IC)

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Assuming we had time to buy extra food since we knew we would be gone for a while. I was out of town and the hotel internet sucked but I'm back now.

    The dwarf is oblivious to his companions' complaints. Sliding off his horse he takes a closer look at the cave in while loosening his leg muscles.

    "Yes, there should be another way in. Where those are depends on the underground layout so it's hard to tell. Easiest way would be tracking for old paths or looking from a bird's view. Unless one of you can do some magic to float up I suggest we circle the hill and look from the top. If you two want to walk the horses around the hill I'll ride up to the top. Call out if you see something."
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

    Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Lentrax's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    In the Final Frontier
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Everybody wants to rule the world. (IC)

    It takes some searching around the hill and the depression of the former mine, but about a hundred feet away from the depression, you find a hole in the ground. It appears to have been wider at one point, and you reason that the piece of wood still inside the hole is the only reason the hole hasn't closed completely. this is what you have been looking for.

    You can probably dig through it with an hour or so of hard work.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Spot and Search checks please.

    Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

    Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.


    A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

    Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

    Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

    Follow me on Twitter!

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground
     
    dantiesilva's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Everybody wants to rule the world. (IC)

    As the group finds what looks like to be one of the many chutes for air to enter and exit the mining complex, he looks at how small the whole seems, and how if not for the wood it would likely close up completely. I suspect this will be a one way trip inside, better be ready for anything. Alexander says as he looks around the glade, and into the opening to make sure no one was watching them before entering.

    Spoiler: Checks
    Show

    Search (untrained) (1d20+3)[18]
    Spot (untrained) (1d20+4)[14]

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Everybody wants to rule the world. (IC)

    "Did anyone bring a shovel?"
    Elmo kneels down to look closer at the hole. No way in the 9 hells would he put a shovel in with his food. It would get dirty and inedible! Worst case, he could try and pick out small stuff with my dagger, or smack it with the tail a few times, but that would be inefficient. But, something about the hole stirs something within him. A primal memory he had pushed into the back of his mind, swimming around his subconscious. Under the guise of stretching, he incants some primal words of power and a blue power forms around his clothing for a moment, before disappearing into the ether from which it came.

    Spoiler: OOC-Rolls and Actions
    Show

    Spot (Untrained) (1d20+4)[11]
    Search (Untrained) (1d20+3)[21]
    In addition, cast Extended Mage Armor, using a 2nd level slot. Lasts for 8 hours.
    Any and all implied condescension, hatred, or distasteful subtext is entirely accidental. Internet context can be difficult, and I always mean well with anything I say.
    Anyone in the UCLA Westwood area looking for players, I'm looking for game groups. (UCLA Medical Physics Grad Student)

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Everybody wants to rule the world. (IC)

    "Yes, this is what we are looking for. A blast will make things worse. Digging it is. Anyone happen to notice any shovels along the way? If not it'll be dagger, axe, and shield. Father, would you keep an eye out please? Elmo, I'll use the axe to loosen the dirt, would you mind using my shield to scoop it out? It'll be faster with us working together."

    Rigar will get to work, using the backside of his large axe to loosen the dirt, being careful not to hit the wood support or weaken the areas holding the wood in place. Some of his strikes seem to strike harder and deeper than normal even for the dwarf's size and strength. If Elmo isn't up to helping, Rigar will alternate between the axe and scooping.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Spot [roll]1d20+2[/roll]
    Search [roll]1d20+3[/roll] (+2 if stonecunning is relevant)
    Maybe there was a shovel left behind at the main entrance?

    Using Mountain Hammer every other round to dig faster. Stone Dragon 2 Maneuver. +2d6 damage and ignores hardness.

    EDIT: From OOC, Spot 16 and Search 6
    Last edited by Cavir; 2015-01-02 at 03:51 PM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

    Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Everybody wants to rule the world. (IC)

    Well, Elmo thought, At least this works better than my knife. Don't know what is worse, backbreaking labor, or riding on that damn horse... as he begins to push the stone away with Rigar's shield. He find himself strangely in awe of the dwarf's technique; if only he could break things that easily.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Doesn't it suck when you press preview when trying to roll stuff? Rolls stand as for last post, but wanted to show him helping.
    Any and all implied condescension, hatred, or distasteful subtext is entirely accidental. Internet context can be difficult, and I always mean well with anything I say.
    Anyone in the UCLA Westwood area looking for players, I'm looking for game groups. (UCLA Medical Physics Grad Student)

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground
     
    dantiesilva's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Everybody wants to rule the world. (IC)

    As Elmo and Rigar begin to widen the hole for the three of them to enter, Father Alexander Anderson sits atop a nearby rock, and begins to pray for his allies to have the strength and agility to make it threw this day without worry of pain. That their very feet themselves would move them faster, and the gods would shelter them from harm. All this is done while he looks around watching to make sure no enemies come.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I posted my spell list in the OOC and marked the two spells persisted, they effect all of us mind you. I will also be casting the combat one that only effects me, though saying it lasts 3 hours should be worth it. Will be cast once we are about to enter the mine for the last one.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Lentrax's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    In the Final Frontier
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Everybody wants to rule the world. (IC)

    While you were searching for the entrance, you noted several sets of tracks. You aren't sure what made them, but there are some evidences of humanoid activity, judging from the footprints you saw in some of the muddy sections. It is impossible to tell however how many there are or what else made the other tracks, since none of you are experienced trackers. But so far, and for the entire time you dig into the ground, you do not see or hear anything else in the woods that might be a threat to any of you.

    But finally, you manage to dig down deep enough that you come across the wider cross shaft and you realize you have dug into the mine. Breaking through into the mine itself, you see a deep darkness spreading before you.

    Spoiler: Rigar
    Show
    You may not have spent your life around the mines common to your kind, but you know that the lack of air exchange between the mine and the outside world is not normal. Even with the air shafts, considering the condition the mine was in, there should have been stale air blowing out the shaft instead of the scent of damp stone and earth.

    Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

    Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.


    A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

    Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

    Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

    Follow me on Twitter!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •