Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Warhammer 40K Tabletop XXII: I C'Tan Has Cheese?

Warhammer 40,000 in the Playground

I'm new to the hobby. Which army should I start?
    It really depends on what you want to play. And how your meta-game shapes up. Find out what everyone else is playing near you, and play anything not those armies for best results. Otherwise, if you're starting from scratch with no-one really to play with - or, you've got a friend who is also starting from scratch - buy the Dark Vengeance starter box.

What's Dark Vengeance?
    Dark Vengeance contains a rulebook and a bunch of dice.

It contains roughly 850 Points worth of Dark Angels. However, it only contains around 500 points worth of Chaos Space Marines. Of course, if you're playing DV as it's meant to be played, you're never using all of the models at once so the points difference doesn't really matter.

However, in practical terms, the Dark Angels are only barely legal and lack enough Scoring models. And, while the CSMs are legal, they're almost 300 points behind and lack anything that packs a decent punch. You will also need the relevant Codecies for your faction as it will dramatically change the way you play the game as opposed to using the reference sheets that come with DV.

How much does it cost?
    The Dark Vengeance box, one Codex, one other box of your choosing, and a Starter Paint Set costs you about the same as a Playstation 3 and one game*. In both cases, you'd be good to go for about a month. This author thinks of most boxes as console games, and Flyers and Land Raiders are the AAA-Title Collector's Edition game. The difference being that in this hobby you can use all your 'games' at the same time, and continuously.

Is WH40K expensive? Yes. I suppose it is. We all know it is. But, practically speaking, it's no more expensive than any other hobby.

*Priced in $AU where everything is more expensive - although the ratios should be the same.

Okay, I've got everything. What next?
    Play some games. Playing some actual games, is a far, far better learning experience than anything you could glean from the internet. Although we really would appreciate some stories and how you're finding your army.
    Find out what works for you, find out what doesn't (just because the internet likes something, doesn't mean you will too). You, more than anyone know who your opponents are and what they're putting on the table. You are in the best position to find out what you need to bring to the table.

However, if you're still stuck. Just ask.

How many points do I need? What size board do I need?
    There are ways that you can play 200, 400 and 500 point games using altered rules. But, if you want to play the game as-is, the recommended minimum is 750.

The game 'balances out' at 1500. Most games should be played at this level since pretty much all armies get a fair shake.

However, in other meta-games, find out what the local tournament standard is. Most people in your area should be playing at that points level. While you're at it, here's How to write an army list.

As for board size; a 4x4' table can accommodate up to 1250 with reasonable room left for movement. But, after that you should probably look at finding a 6x4' area. The floor is never a bad start.

I did what you said and I still lost. What gives?
    First, this game is all about dice. Dice are random (most of the time anyway), sometimes you just get bad rolls all game and there's nothing you can really do about it. It's best to accept it, otherwise you're not going to have a very fun time.

Sometimes your opponent can make a minor change in his list - like changing from Plasma Cannons to Lascannons. That can totally alter the flow of the game and what happens when they next play you.

Sometimes the terrain placement is just bad (or the terrain itself is bad) and right from Deployment you can find yourself getting shot at and there's nothing you can do about it. Really, this can only stress how important terrain can be to how the game gets played.

And, lastly, maybe you just 'did it wrong'? Maybe you used [X] to shoot [Y] when they should have been shooting [Z]. Maybe you Charged, when the better move could have been moving backwards and Rapid Firing instead? There are all sorts of ways you can be out-played. You didn't just lose because your opponents' Queens are overpowered.

Terrain? You said this hobby was only as expensive as any other.
    Yes and no. Most of your 'starting' terrain can be household items. Books. Soda-cans. Small boxes. Whatever.

If you look around the internet, you can also find a few tutorials on how to make some really decent-looking terrain. Made out of what you essentially would have otherwise thrown in the bin.

Only GW Terrain actually costs you any significant money. Making your own should only cost a few dollars tops - and your time and effort.

How much terrain do I need?
    Up to 12 pieces is the official word. However, that can get crowded pretty fast if you've got big pieces.

A better guide is roughly anywhere between 25-33% of the board should be covered by terrain. On a standard 6x4' table, you would want anywhere between 6-8' square of terrain. It seems like a lot. But if you divide that up to 7-12 pieces, it doesn't look like much. Or you could just put a 2x3' block in the centre of the board.

I don't like using Special Characters, and I think Allies are dumb.
    Your opponents probably don't. Special Characters are pretty powerful and there's no real reason that you shouldn't be using them if your opponents are. That's not to say that all Special Characters are good - they aren't - and certainly don't get the impression that just because it's a Special Character that you need to use it - you don't. But some of them are still good and they do make certain armies a lot better.

However, Allies, on the other hand. Are often a required part of the game. Some armies just don't have the units required to fend off other units. Does this make the game unfair? Kind of. But, GW doesn't update their entire range at once (it's a big range), and so some units are always going to be better than others. But, allowing Allies is a big step to evening the playing field.

So which Allies should I pick?
    This guide is very rough. But should provide you with at least a starting direction.

I can't paint.
    Like any skill worth having, you get better if you practice. 90% of a good paint job is just brush control - how much paint you put on your brush and where you put it. The other 10% is just colour theory (yeah, it's a thing). The most important tool this author has is a $5 Colour Wheel.

But, on a more serious note, the only real reason that you need to paint is if you want to participate in tournaments. Well, that and painted models just look better - if you've practised, of course.

Unfortunately, painting is a practical skill, not knowledge. The only person who can get you better at painting is you. Wraith has put together how you can go about Painting your army without losing your mind.

Which army is the best?
    That's a loaded question. It depends what points limit you're playing at (at 1500 there really isn't one). But, there is no 'best' army. Plasma beats Terminators beats Mech beats Plasma. 40K is much like Rock, Paper, Scissors. None of the armies are 'best', as each army can be countered. Some armies are better than others, but there is no 'best'.

However, as you play the game you will notice that your Codex doesn't have the units that beat another Codex. That's not to say that you haven't won any games, and it's not to say that your opponents' armies haven't lost several games to armies that just aren't yours. It just means that your army can't beat your opponent's army with what you've got available to you. That's why Allies need to be in the game.

Wait, so there are bad Codecies?
    Yes. But, every Codex should be usable between 1000-1500 points. So, no matter what army you pick, you'll be okay within those points limits, or, you should be. If you find that your Codex/Army isn't doing well against certain opponents, and there's nothing you can do; You may need Allies.

Helpful Army Building Guides
    Spoiler
    Show
    7th Edition Guides
    Blood Angels
    Chaos Space Marines
    Chaos Daemons
    Dark Angels
    Dark Eldar
    Eldar
    - Codex: Iyanden by Wraith
    Grey Knights by Squark
    Imperial Knights by Drasius
    Khorne Daemonkin by Grim Portent
    Necrons by Squark
    Space Wolves by Squark
    Tyranids by Wraith
    Space Marines
    - Space Marines Supplements
    Space Wolves by Squark
    Tau Empire by Tome
    - Farsight Enclaves by Tome
    Orks (placeholder)
    -WAAAGH!!! Ghazghkull

(Misc.) Fighter Aces by Vaz

Forge World
    Siege Assault Vanguard

30K/Heresy Guides
    30K Relics by Vaz
    Solar Auxilia by Vaz
    Taghmata Omnissiah Army List by Vaz
    Questoris Knights by Vaz

Old Guides from 6th Edition
    Adepta Sororitas
    Chaos Space Marine Supplements
    Inquisition by Wraith
    Orks by Wraith
    Astra Militarum Imperial Guard
    Guide to Apocalypse Units
    Warzone: Damnos - Ultramarines vs. Necrons
    Warzone: Pandorax - Chaos Space Marines vs. Catachans, Dark Angels and Grey Knights
    Warzone: Damocles - Tau Empire vs. White Scars, Raven Guard, Imperial Guard and Knight Titans

Forge World
    (IA1/2E) Imperial Guard Armoured Battle Group by Issabella
    (IA2/2E) Space Marine Vehicles
    (IA3/2E) Elysian Drop Troops by Issabella
    (IA9 / 10) Space Marine Chapter Tactics and Special Characters
    (IA12) The Dark Harvest - Necrons
    (IA12) The Minotaurs and Krieg Assault Brigade - Space Marines and Imperial Guard

30K/Legion Rules
    Legion Crusade Army List
    Legion Special Rules
    The Primarchs

Previous Threads

Here's a bunch of Battle Reports for you to read. Plenty of army lists in there.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2015-04-05 at 10:24 AM.
    Steam Name: Cheesegear
    League of Legends Name: Cheesegear
    You can fight like a krogan or run like a leopard but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop XXII: I C'Tan Has Cheese?

Might be useful to pop the guides to the Leviathan formations in under the tyranid section, if we're going to start with the usual updates to the OP.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Necron rumors and leaks are so painful when you know that the book isn't going to come until January some time

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

The Grey Knights guide linked to in the OP is out of date- It's for the old dex.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Devil

And there is the Book IV guide including 30k solar auxilia and knight lists, and theAdmech Taghmata Omnissiah rules. Put a bit of effort into those be a shame if they were lost.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Friend has challenged me to a game; problem is he has fliers and the best AA I can come up with is probably two HRR broadsides. Also has a forgefiend but a hammerhead should probably be enough for that. Or I could go Mehrens and flakk his stuff out of the sky...

God damn it I swear that nobody gets decent AA that isn't also flying. Guess I could grab my valk out of storage, but don't really want to.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I find skyrays are nice for AA. The local tyranid player is quite afraid of mine.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Yaktan View Post
    I find skyrays are nice for AA. The local tyranid player is quite afraid of mine.
    Don't have one, and I hate them conceptually - they rely entirely on limited-shot missiles and then wander around the battlefield aimlessly for the rest of the game.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Friend has challenged me to a game; problem is he has fliers and the best AA I can come up with is probably two HRR broadsides. Also has a forgefiend but a hammerhead should probably be enough for that. Or I could go Mehrens and flakk his stuff out of the sky...

God damn it I swear that nobody gets decent AA that isn't also flying. Guess I could grab my valk out of storage, but don't really want to.
    By your mention of Broadsides and Hammerheads I assume you have Tau?

In which case you have tons of options for anti-air. Seriously, our codex is literally the one with the strongest anti-air. Skyrays or any of the battlesuits will do, even stealth suits can help out if you're desperate, just stick a Velocity Tracker on them and you're good.

EDIT
    Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Don't have one, and I hate them conceptually - they rely entirely on limited-shot missiles and then wander around the battlefield aimlessly for the rest of the game.
    Skyrays are actually quite useful even after they've shot their load (though that load is definitely pretty impressive for their cost). Smart Missile Systems are useful and having Skyfire Markerlights on a durable, mobile platform is worth more than you'd think.

I'd say get a Crisis team with some missile pods as a second choice. Failing that, go with the Broadsides but try to bring some other suits with Velocity Trackers as backup. You should have some decent options, unless you've been relying exclusively on Hammerheads for your anti-AV firepower. What fliers is your opponent likely to bring? Even Burst Cannons from a Stealth Team are good if it's only AV10.
    Last edited by Tome; 2014-12-15 at 06:05 PM.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Finally, a clear picture of the Necron formation from next week's WD.

I love Immortals. I love Monoliths. I think this formation is going to be pretty nice.
    Last edited by Requizen; 2014-12-15 at 07:33 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post
    By your mention of Broadsides and Hammerheads I assume you have Tau?

In which case you have tons of options for anti-air. Seriously, our codex is literally the one with the strongest anti-air. Skyrays or any of the battlesuits will do, even stealth suits can help out if you're desperate, just stick a Velocity Tracker on them and you're good.

EDIT
    Skyrays are actually quite useful even after they've shot their load (though that load is definitely pretty impressive for their cost). Smart Missile Systems are useful and having Skyfire Markerlights on a durable, mobile platform is worth more than you'd think.
    This. HYMP with optional skyfire are probably the best ground bound AA in the game after skyrays. Hell, even HYMP broadsides with interceptor are decent AA, doubly so if you wave your laser pointers into the air. Stick a commander with pen chip in there to give 'em tank/monster hunter as well if you're so inclined, double points for having him mount a quad gun as well so your broadsides get a cover save/are in a building.

Farsight HBC riptide with ECPA and skyfire/interceptor is rad, again, even just normal IA tides with EWO and VT are decent if you've taken the TLFB like you should.

Hell, crisis suits with double pod and VT are troops if you use farsight enclaves, add double pod, PENchip, VT commander for super-best-funtimes. Expensive troops to be sure, but troops nonetheless. Even something like a single double fusion with VT is an option aginst fliers since they can DS down in the rear quarter, and with a 9" double melta range, you can be reasonably safe about where you put them.
    Spoiler
    Show

You mentioned a valk, so you should also have a vendetta stashed somewhere or can proxy the valk as one for what is arguably one of the strongest AA platforms in the game, with only a stormraven beating it out that I can think of.

If you've got marines, a decent sized unit of grav cets, even without precience (though let's face, you should be running them as Ultras with tigurius), has a reasonable chance to put down a flier per turn and the stormtalon is great AA, as is the stormraven.
    Last edited by Drasius; 2014-12-15 at 08:59 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Cheesegear plays Sanctus Reach

Wrath of Gork
    1. The Red Waaagh! Descends (Planetstrike)
    2. The Knights Strike Back
    3. The Fall of House Kestren
    4. Enter the Steel Host
    5. The River Runs Red (Planetstrike)
    6. The Clockwork Massacre

Toof o' Mork
    7. Flight of the Morkanauts (Planetstrike)
    8. Attack of the Wreckin' Krew (Planetstrike)
    9. Battle for the Oasis (Planetstrike)
    10. The Klaw of Mork

Castellan Jakren Stein looked into the sky with his magnoculars. Tempestor Prime Salem Whitlock had failed, but his Mission was doomed from the start, the comet was going to crash into Alaric Prime no matter what Prime Whitlock did. Stein suspected that Whitlock undertook the Mission anyway, just to do something, anything, before the great comet struck the planet. Rage, rage against the dying of the light, as they say. The Sacred Mountain would turn to a smoking crater, and with it, all Imperial souls within the mountain would perish along with it. Jak had to coordinate the evacuation of the Mountain Fortress, but at the foot of the mountain stood a horde of Orks, ready to cut down any man who ran from the mountain.
    "We can die in the Fortress, holed up like rats, or we can give the Orks the fight they want. Either way, that comet's coming down, and I intend to do out swinging."
    Lord Neru Degallio, the Old Walrus, Seablade, The White Warden, the man who had issued the call for help weeks ago when all other Nobles holed up in their Houses. Degallio, who listened to the off-worlder General from the start, and thus the only intact House on the planet, took Stein's hand. "We're with you. Emperor Protects."

The Orks milling around the base of the mountain began to scatter and dive to the dirt as the opening salvos of the Imperial guns began to fire. However, Big Mek Mogrok had devised his latest Know-Wots just for this occasion. The giant shells from the Imperial guns hung in the air, the anti-grav shields that Mogrok had handed out to his most trusted Bosses bagan activating and staved off the massive explosions. The Orks looked at each other in confusion "We'z not getting shot up!?" questioned one Ork in the throng. Understanding dawned. "We'z not getting shot up!" This time, not a question. "Waaagh!"

Mission 11. The Imperium Sallies Forth

Imperium
    Spoiler
    Show
    List Restrictions
    AM, MT and Knights
    Warlord must be Codex AM.
    Must include Adamantine Lance and/or Steel Host

Special Rules
    Super-Heavy Walkers have Scout.

Codex AM, CAD
    Company Command Squad - 110 Points
    - (W) Castellan Jakren Stein; Krak Grenades, Carapace Armour
    - Vox-Caster, Heavy Flamer, Medi-Pack, Flamer, Carapace Armour

Ministorum Priest - 25 Points
    Ministorum Priest - 25 Points
    Enginseer; Melta Bombs - 45 Points
    Enginseer; Melta Bombs - 45 Points
    Enginseer - 40 Points

Infantry Platoon
    - Platoon Command Squad; Vox-Caster, Lascannon, Flamer - 60 Points
    - Infantry Squad; Vox-Caster, Lascannon, Flamer - 80 Points
    - Infantry Squad; Lascannon, Flamer - 75 Points
    - Infantry Squad; Vox-Caster, Autocannon, Flamer - 70 Points
    - Infantry Squad; Autocannon, Flamer - 65 Points

Infantry Platoon
    - Platoon Command Squad; Vox-Caster, Lascannon, Flamer - 60 Points
    - Infantry Squad; Vox-Caster, Lascannon, Flamer - 80 Points
    - Infantry Squad; Vox-Caster, Autocannon, Flamer - 70 Points
    - Infantry Squad; Autocannon, Flamer - 65 Points

Shadowsword Steel Cyclops - 515 Points
    Sponsons; Twin-Linked Heavy Flamers, Twin-Linked Heavy Flamer

Codex AM, Rampart Detachment Formation (Red Waaagh!)
    Platoon Command Squad; Vox-Caster, Lascannon, Flamer - 60 Points
    Bullgryn Squad (x10); x3 Power Maul and Brute Shields - 505 Points
    Bullgryn Squad (x9) - 415 Points

Knights, Adamantine Lance Formation (Red Waaagh!)
    Knight Paladin - 375 Points
    Knight Errant - 370 Points
    Knight Errant - 370 Points

Total: 3750 Points

Victory Conditions
    Objectives are worth 1 VP.
    Linebreaker is worth D3 VPs.

* As much as I would have liked to call the most powerful model in my collection 'Gotthammer' after Zorg like I always do, the Narrative decrees that the Shadowsword is named 'Steel Cyclops' instead. But, the point is that my Shadowsword should be named after Zorg, but isn't. Just this once.

Orks
    Spoiler
    Show
    List Restrictions
    Must include Mogrok's Bossboyz Formation

Special Rules
    Every Ork Independent Character comes with a 12" Bubble Field for 0 Points;
    - 4++ against Shooting Attacks
    - 2++ against Barrage weapons
    - When the model dies, every unit within 12" takes D6, S8, AP3 hits

Orks, Mogrok's Bossboyz Formation (Red Waaagh!)
    (W) Big Mek Mogrok; Mega Armour, Kombi-Skorcha, Cybork Body, Da Finkin' Kap, Tellyport Blasta - 125 Points
    Big Mek Daggog; Eavy Armour, Shokk Attack Gun, Cybork Body - 94 Points
    Big Mek; Eavy Armour, Da Fixer Upperz, Cybork Body - 59 Points
    Goffboss Drogg; Eavy Armour, Kombi-Skorcha, Power Klaw, Bosspole, Cybork Body, Da Lucky Stikk - 134 Points
    Big Redd da Warphead; Mastery Level 2 - 70 Points

Orks, CAD
    Painboy - 50 Points
    Painboy - 50 Points

Boyz (x20); Shootas, 'Eavy Armour, x2 Rokkit Launcha, Boss Nob; Power Klaw, Bosspole - 270 Points
    Boyz (x20); Shootas, 'Eavy Armour, x2 Rokkit Launcha, Boss Nob; Power Klaw, Bosspole - 270 Points

Meganobz (x4); x2 Kombi-Skorchas, x1 Bosspole - 175 Points

Blitza-Bommer - 135 Points
    Blitza-Bommer - 135 Points

Stompa - 770 Points

Orks, CAD
    Painboy - 50 Points
    Painboy - 50 Points
    Boyz (x20); Shootas, 'Eavy Armour, x2 Rokkit Launcha, Boss Nob; Twin-Linked Shoota, Power Klaw, Bosspole - 273 Points

Stompa - 770 Points

Total: 3750 Points

Victory Conditions
    Objectives are worth D3 VPs.

Deployment
    Spoiler
    Show
    So, once again, it's a pre-set Map, so the board is already decided for me. It's supposed to be a Wall of Matyrs Imperial Defence Network, except the illustration presented is not one of those things. Instead, what it actually is, is;

x5 Wall of Matyrs IDLs
    x2 Firestorm Redoubts
    x2 Vengeance Weapons; Battle Cannons
    x2 Macro-Cannon Aquilla Strongpoints

Completely missing Bunkers, one too many Defense Lines and no Defense Emplacements.
    In my opponent's DZ, there's a bunch of Ruins, but that doesn't really matter since pretty much everything he owns has a 4++ vs. Shooting attacks. What looks like a set of Promethium Relay Pipes is also in the Ork DZ, but since Orks don't have Flamer weapons (no, they don't, look it up), it seems pretty pointless. We called it a Defense Line since Orks might actually be able to use that without any downsides, but, as mentioned, 4++ anyway.

D3+2 Objectives. We roll four. I place first. Fairly standard. I place my Objectives in my Mighty Bulwarks because 7th Ed. allowing Objectives to be placed in Buildings is totally fair and arguably one of the changes from 6th Ed. that is worse. Putting Objectives in Buildings is stupid. Especially when Stronghold Assault is a thing.

I roll on the AM Warlord Traits and pick up the one that says I don't have to take Morale checks from 25% casualties. Awesome.
    Mogrok, being a pseudo-Special Character has a fixed Warlord Trait - Kunnin' but Brutal - and then rolls on Strategic due to Finkin' Kap, and picks up +1 to Seize and re-roll Reserves. Holy poop. For those of you unaware, Mogrok already Seizes on a 5+, so now he's Seizing on a 4+ , and the Formation bonus from Mogrok gives D3 Ork units Outflank and Acute Senses, which means the ability to re-roll Reserves is even more awesome... Mogrok immediately rolls a '3' to determine how many units can Outflank.
    I'll say it now, Mork knows what's up. Kunnin' but Brutal indeed.

Big Redd rolls Da Jump (because at this point, why wouldn't he!?) and Power Vomit. Bloody Hell.

Imperium deploys first. For those of you who haven't kept up with my posts, this Mission is played on an 8x6' table. The Imperium has the entire 36" half to deploy in, which, conveniently enough ends just in front of the forward Defense Line.
    I deploy my Rampart Detachment front-and-centre on the...Ramparts. For those looking a bit confusing, Bullgryns in base contact with each other gain +1 to their Armour Save, so, T5, 3 Wounds, 3+ Armour and a 4+ Cover Save. Pretty happy with that. I throw my Adamantine Lance in the Defense Line bottleneck (the Knight Paladin sprite is currently bugged, you're going to have to trust that one of them is a KP), but they'll Scout anyway, so I'm not bothered where they go. Tempestor Prime Salem Whitlock did his job like a man, and winning Mission 10 also gives my Super-Heavy Walkers Rage and Furious Charge. Though I'm not entirely sure how sabotaging a huge Traktor Kannon translates into giving Knights bonuses in Assault, but that's what the bonus for winning Mission 10 is.

The Macro-Cannon Bunkers hold 30 models and 20 models, respectively. So I throw 2 Lascannons into the Large Bunkers, and 1 Lascannon into the Medium Bunker. Using the 10 extra Transport Capacity in the larger Bunkers, I place an Enginseer on the Battlements of either Macro-Cannon to shoot it.
    In the two Firestorm Redoubts, I place 20 models with two Autocannons apiece. During this campaign, I have repeatedly learned my lesson about putting Order-giving units inside Buildings, so I opt not to do that, and place them where they can actually maybe do something.

Last but not least, I place Gotthammer Steel Cyclops in the back, with clear sight lines to most of the board, then I place Castellan Jakren Stein's squad, joined by an Enginseer, where the Enginseer is most cunningly standing right next to the Super-Heavy for no reason whatsoever. My Warlord isn't in Cover, but he's in the back of the board, he'll be safe for a while. I just have to watch for Outflankers coming in behind my Defence Lines.
    For ~4000 Points, as I look at my army, it feels really, really small. But, then I remember that I have four models that average to ~410 Points apiece. If I remove those four models, I'm playing with roughly 2000 Points, plus a free Fortification Network that includes two AV15 Mighty Bulwarks and suddenly I'm not so bothered.

Fine Print
    Spoiler
    Show
    I also wrote a list that included everything seen in the Narrative for this particular Mission. My army list had a Baneblade, Shadowsword, Adamantine Lance Formation and Gerantius, with a Rampart Detachment thrown in for good measure, and 50 Infantry with a pair of Priests. As I looked at my army list with six Super-Heavies (yes, I fit all that in 3750), I realised that it would be no fun for my opponent to play against it. Especially when factoring in the free Fortification Network that includes two Mighty Bulwarks. Instead, I deliberately toned down my list to the Adamantine Lance - which I have to and should take anyway, because I have to take one of the Formations presented and Super-Heavy Walkers have Scout making the choice a false choice - and a Shadowsword because it's awesome. So, yeah. My army could have been something else entirely, but I decided against it for the sake of fairness. This has nothing to do with the Mission design, and everything to do with how under-powered the Ork Codex is.

He puts his two Stompas front and centre locking eyes with my Adamantine Lance (when you lock eyes you have to fight). Inside one is Goffboss Drogg, and in the other is the random Big Mek with the Fixer Upperz. Keep in mind that Ork ICs are carrying Bubble Shields, so the Stompas have a 4++ against Shooting attacks and my heart hurts. But Knights have Ion Shields, so, whatever. I'll also point out at this time that since a Warboss isn't the Ork Warlord, my opponent can't Waaagh!, I am fine with this.
    Big Mek Daggog sets up in the Ruin containing an Objective with the Meganobz picking up Slow & Purposeful and therefore Relentless on his Shokk Attack Gun. Another unit of Ork Boyz crowds the Objective in the Fuel Depot Defense Lines. The rest of the Ork Boyz crowd around the Stompas, my opponent declares that both of his Fliers will be in Reserves, Outflanking, and his fourth unit of Boyz will also Outflank.

My Knights make their Scout move.

Turn 1
    Spoiler
    Show
    Orks Seize! Of course they did. At least it's not Night Fighting.
    The Stompas peel off from each other and the Ork Boyz units move up. Nothing special.
    At the beginning of each Ork Shooting Phase, roll a dice, if the result is equal or less than the Turn number, the comet smashes into the board. Resolved as a D/10/8 1/2/3 Apocalyptic Mega-blast. Fortunately, my opponent doesn't roll a '1' on the first turn, so everything is fine. Had Tempestor Prime Salem Whitlock failed his mission, the Orks would get -1 to the roll. But, Tempestor Prime Salem Whitlock is awesome, so I don't have to worry about that.
    The Stompas completely ignore my Adamantine Lance, and fire their Deff Kannons at the Firestorm Redoubts. One blows thanks to AP1, and the other Redoubt takes a Structural Collapse destroying on the Quad-Icaruses. Oh, I see, he's taking out my Skyfire Interceptor Fortifications and- Oh. I get it. Since we already learned way back in Mission 3, a single Stompa can easily take an Imperial Knight or two in Assault, and he has two of them. At this point I realise that he wants me to Charge his Stompas, since he knows that I know that there's really not much damage I can do to them by shooting them. As underpowered as Orks are generally considered, in the right hands, able to use the tools they have, Orks are pretty impressive. But, then again, everything with a 4++ vs. Shooting stacks the odds markedly in their favour.
    Dagz' Shokk Attack Gun rolls something stupidly low, so nothing happens and Rokkits bounce off my Knights. Pass turn.

I break the Adamantine Lance. I send two Knights to meet Goffboss Drogg's Stompa, while I only send one to deal with the Fixer's Stompa. Since I don't have the Stompas surrounded, from the angle I'm looking at, I'm probably not able to even get two Knights into Assault with a Stompa, let alone three! *grumble, grumble stupid base sizes*

4 Lascannons into the Front Armour of Drogg's Stompa. One gets through. Bubble Shield. 3 Lascannons into the Side Armour. One gets through. Bubble Shield.
    Macro Shells have two shots, so, thud-thud. Knocking off two Hull Points. Second Macro-Cannon. Thud-Thud. A massive Scatter takes the Shell into the arse-end of my Knight. Thank ****, I roll a '1' and deal no damage. The second shell hits the Stompa square, dealing another two HPs.
    Not!Gotthammer scores a direct h-. Bubble Field. Never mind.
    My Vengeance Weapons actually deal damage to the Ork Boy units. Though not nearly as much as they should be.

My lead Knight having rolled Seneschal drops his Thermal Cannon on t- Bubble Field.
    My second Knight drops a second Thermal Cannon on the Stompa, scoring a Penetrating Hit, knocking off a Hull Point, but, as a Super-Heavy, the Stompa doesn't actually take damage.
    Unfortunately, since I Scouted, I can't Charge in the first game turn. So that's that with that.

The left Stompa is on 7 HPs.

Turn 2
    Spoiler
    Show
    One of the Ork Fliers comes on, the other re-rolls (because Mogrok) and still fails. The fourth unit of Boyz+Painboy arrives on the board, and using Acute Senses, still 'fails' and ends up on the wrong side of the board that my opponent wants. The rest of the Orks kind of shuffle forwards, as Orks are want to do.
    The Boom Bomb drops in the Movement Phase as it does, and everything goes A-OK. S7 Armourbane manages a Penetrating Hit, but AP2 and Mighty Bulwark cancel each other out, but I still take a Catastrophic Breach reducing the AV to 14, but, it also turns out that Mighty Bulwarks and Super-Heavies are not the same thing, and MBs can suffer Weapon Destroyed, which I did not know, and that's really annoying. Although to be fair, I have also never used a Mighty Bulwark until now. Luckily, Catastrophic Breach also happens to be one of the only results that doesn't impact on the Embarked models in any way, so that's good.
    'Interceptor Phase', my one remaining Quad Icarus happens to be out of range of the Flier. My opponent had pre-measured this fact carefully, and angled his Flier accordingly. Unfortunately for him, a Quad Icarus Lascannon is not a Lascannon, and has a range of 96", not 48". So my opponent declares a Jink. Doesn't matter. The target isn't Flyboss Wingnutz so there's no lucksacking on Named Models (a true thing that exists) here, and the Bommer is blown away. Unfortunately, the Flier has already dropped it's Bomb, destroying the Macro-Cannon, so it's job was already done, really, except not really, 'cause now my Command Squad wont be shot at by Supa Shootas. The resulting Crash & Burn Scatters harmlessly.
    Later, we discussed whether or not I should have told my opponent when he was pre-measuring, that he was pre-measuring wrong. It would have been the polite thing to do. But with 96" range, there was really nowhere he could have put his Flier where I couldn't tag him, and the dice rolls would have been the same (always assume the dice rolls would have been the same, otherwise your brain will start to hurt and post-game discussions don't mean a thing "I could have rolled [X]!", no, you couldn't. You still rolled dice anyway, and they came up with what they came up with - the only way to not have the dice rolls that you did, is to play a new game). In the end, my opponent admitted that he would have made the same move, as there really was no other move, dropping Boom Bombs on Mighty Bulwarks was what they were for, to've not dropped the Bomb on the Mighty Bulwark, and then get shot down anyway, would have been a waste. So, yes, it probably would have been polite to point out that my opponent was measuring wrong, but it wouldn't have changed anything.

The Stompa fires it's Deff Kannon at the Mighty Bulwark, Primary Weapon and Ordnance mean the same thing, unfortunately, it's still only a Glancing Hit. Fine. Still 3 HPs left, and the squad inside is still full strength. The right Stompa fires everything at the Firestorm Redoubt, demolishing it in the process, and causing a bunch of Wounds on the squad inside. My brave Guardsmen stick around, and then get shot at by Ork Shootas coming in from the flank, but, a Ruin is a Ruin, and it's Ork Shooting, so no-one's bothered too much.
    Another squad of Ork Boyz fires into the Ruin on the other side of the board, and causes exactly zero Wounds. Ork shooting is the best - except when it actually is.

My turn, my Knight Seneschal manoeuvres around behind the Stompa to open up the Charge lane for the Knight behind him. My Bullgryns shift around and I silently thank the Emperor that my opponent hasn't gotten around to dropping his Massive Blast, S10 shots on my Bullgryns which would kill all of them in one shot. But, those Fortifications really are scary, and my opponent does have to deal with them.
    The Enginseeer tries to fix the Mighty Bulwark, and fails.
    Some Ork Boyz die, but due to Bubble Fields, which I'm really starting to get annoyed with, nothing really happens. My Vengeance Weapons actually do some work, and take out a bunch of Boyz from the middle Boyz squad, and, rather than shooting my own Knights, I throw down my Macro-Cannon shells at the Ork Boyz on the far Objective (I realise near the bottom of Turn 2, that for Orks, Objectives are worth D3, so I really should look into fixing that).

My Bullgryns fail the Charge. Overwatch does nothing. BS1 vs. T5, 3+ Armour, you know the drill.
    My Seneschal and Knight Paladin Charge the Stompa with Goffboss Drogg in it. Because I won Mission 10, my Knights have Rage. Furious Charge actually does nothing, because Str-D, and you can't Weapon Destroy a Super-Heavy, so I don't know why the Designers put on Furious Charge (that's as stupid as giving Super-Heavies Daemonic Possession, wait, IA13 did that). Anyway, I throw a truck-ton of Str-D attacks at the Stompa with 7HPs, it explodes (as Super-Heavies do), and my opponent rolls the Titanic Explosion, which tags both Knights with a Str-D explosion hit, straight up rolls a '6' on my Knight Paladin D6+6= Minimum 7, so then my Knight Paladin also explodes, HE rolls a Titanic Explosion as well, throwing a second Str-D hit on my Knight Seneschal, who after taking two sets of D3 Hull Point damage is down to like, two HPs left. But we're not finished. That Stompa? Contained an Independent Character, who therefore held a Bubble Shield. He takes a S10, AP2 hit from being inside a Super-Heavy when it explodes, he takes the S10 hit, and is Instant Death'd. What happens when a Bubble Shield implodes? That's right, gravity collapses in on itself and every unit with 12" takes D6, S8 hits. So my Seneschal takes two HPs and also explodes.
    ****in'. BOOM! Combined, there's about 1800 points tied up in that one, giant explosion.

You had to be there. There's nothing like rolling dice as three Super-Heavies explode right next to each other. That just happened! There'll be radiation fallout in that zone fear years. Unfortunately, Orks seem to thrive on radiation.

My last remaining Knight Errant Charges the Stompa, again, with the Rage. Six attacks with a Str-D weapon is a lot (consider 12 attacks vs. a Stompa with 7HPs, above). I deal four/five (I forget) HPs, and a Stompa has four attacks base without even needing Rage or Charge, and he deals four/five back to me. The difference is, a Stompa starts with 12 HPs, a Knight has only six. He's done far more damage to me, than I have to him. And now the Stompa is locked in combat, so I can't even shoot it. But, this is the bottom of the turn, so it's not like I could shoot it anyway.

Turn 3
    Spoiler
    Show
    Now that both my Firestorm Redoubts are destroyed, his Burna-Bommer is free to come onto the board unmolested (can I say that word? I've been to tournaments where you can say s* and f*, but saying 'rape(/d)' is a DQ-able offence, PC-ness is weird. That said, Zorg [who I respect a lot, if you didn't know by now] asked me once not to use 'rape' in this thread, and I've tried to keep that going with other posters...Now where was I? Right...Reserves). Mogrok gets to re-roll Reserves and Acute Senses lets him re-roll into where he wants to be, and the Burna-Bommer drops its Boom Bomb onto my Mighty Bulwark - no, the other one - once again, Armourbane is a thing. He rolls a Structural Collapse which destroys the Macro-Cannon, but the real damage is the 2D6 hits distributed on the squad inside. Except then I remembered that Claimed Buildings count as Scoring, so I'm still good.
    Orks shuffle around. Big Mek Mogrok and his unit move away from the Stompa-Knight combat. After what just happened, Big Mek Mogrok doesn't intend do die from a Super-Heavy explosion.
    Big Mek Mogrok says "Do it now." Big Redd da Warphead and a Painboy peel off from the squad, creating their own little squad of two.
    The Stompa is locked in combat. Although now I don't have Rage+Charge anymore, so that's probably a bad thing.

"You'z ready?" Big Redd asked. "'Ere. We. Go." Big Redd's lit up, as the bright, red warpaint liberally applied all over himself began to glow aaand...Jump. Having liberally used Gate of Infinity during the Battle of Boiling River, Big Redd was really, really good at teleporting (It's probably how he got out of Waaagh! Grukk before the whole thing went to Hell). Big Redd da Warphead and Friend-O the Painboy teleport, landing directly behind Castellan Jakren Stein's Command Squad. "I'z dizzy..."
    The great, green energy boiling up inside Big Redd manifested itself as projectile vomit. Of great, green power. You may even call it a...Power Vomit. Yeah, there's nothing I can do against a S7, AP2 Template. Auto-hits everyone in the squad, S7 ignores FNP because I'm only T3. Officers aren't even Independent Characters, so Castellan Jakren Stein meets his final end, during the Battle of Sacred Mountain, getting Power-projectile vomited on by the biggest Weirdboy ever seen. The Enginseer, being an actual Indepdendent Character, passes his Look Out, Sir! roll. Unfortunately, the Enginseer fails his Morale check...And then rolls a '3' for distance. Basically, what he's done, is scurried underneath Steel Cyclops to get away from Big Redd.
    Welp, that's Slay the Warlord.

Big Mek Dagz' Shokk Attack Gun, once again, does nothing useful. But, at least it's not exploding.
    Orks Charge the Autocannon-unit in the Ruins of the Redoubt. Flamers do some Overwatch damage, but these are 'Ard Boyz, and have 4+ Armour and FNP from the Painboy, in the end, the Orks win combat by enough, and Sweeping Advance the rest.
    Orks Charge my Bullgryns. My opponent obviously didn't read the Formation, because my Bullgryns have Counter-Attack as well, get Charged or be Charged. Doesn't make a difference to the Rampart Detachment. Orks manage to kill one whole Ogryn (just one). Orks lose by a lot, but manage to Bosspole into not failing the Morale check, so locked in combat it is!

My Knight, now not Charging, only has 3 attacks, he still manages to deal 2HPs because Str-D is just that good.
    The Stompa, in retaliation, with four attacks base, at the same Weapon Skill, annihilates the last remaining one or two HPs on my last Knight. The resulting explosion Scatters somewhere harmlessly, while the Blast does tag the Stompa, it's too weak to do anything.

Okay, Turn 3, start to think about how to win the game. My opponent currently controls two Objectives, which are worth D3 apiece, and he has Slay the Warlord and First Blood. I need Linebreaker if I want to have any chance of winning at all. I have a Shadowsword, currently untouched, and he has a Stompa below half HPs. If I can destroy the Stompa, he has nothing which can reliably hurt my Bullgryns to any degree that matters. They're Fearless. If he wants the Bullgryns gone, he has to remove all of them, and that's not happening without the Stompa.
    My Enginseer Regroups. He's an IC, he can do what he wants.
    I move a Platoon Command into the Defense Line and prep my Bullgryns for Charging into the Ruins with the Ork Boyz. Steel Cyclops pivots to get an angle on the Stompa, unfortunately, that takes Cyclops' Heavy Flamers out of arc to fire at Big Redd.
    One of my Enginseers manages to bring a Macro-Cannon back online.
    My Vengeance Battery with double Battle Cannons attempts to pummel Mogrok's unit, and doesn't do so well, because 4++ Saves are a thing that Orks have now.

I really want to fire Lascannons at Big Redd and the Painboy. If I manage to kill one of them, the other one will take D6 S8 hits, and that should kill the other one. But, I really, really need that Stompa down if I want to have any chance of winning the game at all. Power Vomit is great, but it can't roll a '7' to Penetrate my Bulwarks on a D6, wheras the Stompa has Massive Blast, S10, AP1 attacks which can and will do serious damage. I fire four Lascannons into the Front and Side Armour of the Stompa. AP2 gives +1 to Damage, and now the Stompa is on two HPs.
    Steel Cyclops speaks. There can only be one Highlander!
    Str-D rips the last two HPs from the Stompa (Bubble Fields aren't Void Shields). While the Stompa had 12 HPs to begin with, and Cyclops only dealt 1/6th of the damage, it was Cyclops who scored the kill. So I'm painting another Super-Heavy kill-marking on Gotthammer. What? It's technically correct - and that's the best kind of correct.
    The resulting explosion kills the Big Mek inside, dealing S8 hits to nothing. I'm going to regret letting Big Redd live, aren't I?

The Bullgryns Charge the Orks in the Ruins, the Orks have FNP from the Painboy, and the Charging Bullgryns don't do nearly as much damage as they should, as always. On the other hand, the Nob with the Power Klaw can't even kill a single Bull', you need S10 for that, buddy. I still win combat by four, he Bosspoles into sticking around. Butt.
    My Bone 'ead with the other Ork Boyz declares a Challenge. The Painboy accepts. Oh, sneaky. The Painboy is obliterated into a fine mist as the Bone' ead carries a Power Maul. When the Painboy dies at Initiative step 2, gravity collapses and all of the Ork Boyz die except the Nob. Only being S8, none of the Bullgryns care about collapsing gravity fields, and the Nob with Power Klaw punches out a Bullgryn. Ork Characters with Bosspoles by themselves are basically Fearless - as I've learned - and the Nob sticks around.

Turn 4
    Spoiler
    Show
    His remaining Burna-Bommer flies off the board.
    Big Redd Power Vomits on my Platoon Command, killing all of them.

Tempestor Prime Salem Whitlock was screaming into his Vox "Incoming, get out. Evac. T-minus 60 seconds to impact. Move! Move! Move!" The Vendettas and Valkyries in low orbit were trying their best trying to pick off smaller parts of the oncoming comet as it burned up in the atmosphere, but, as the main chunk of asteroid ignited on the atmosphere, the Guard's gunships broke off from the comet, they'd done all they could. Now all's that was left was Castellan Stein's ability to evacuate his men. But it was already too late. Broken and battered, Stein's Vox-man lay dead, Stein himself lay dead, the Vox squawking its evacuation order to no-one, no-one at all.

WHUMPF!
    The comet lands on my Mighty Bulwark. Str-D doesn't care about now-AV14 in the slightest. Penetrating Hit. Structural Collapse breaks the Emplaced Weapon and causes 2d6 Hits on my Guardsmen, killing a bunch of dudes, then my opponent rolls a 6 on his D3 getting all the remaining Hull Points, so the Building also does it's Total Collapse, dealing another 2d6 Hits, and then the Str-D portion of the Blast also clips the secondary structure on the Mighty Bulwark and blows it apart.
    Lucky the Psychic Phase comes before the Shooting Phase, otherwise my Objective grabbers would be Power-Vomited on, and I need those guys alive.
    Big Mek Mogrok and Boyz Move and Run into some Ruins.
    Big Mek Dagz rolls an 11 on his Shokk Attack Gun, but does nothing against the mighty AV15.

My Bullgryn Bone'ead Challenges the lone Nob, the Nob gets demolished by a Power Maul.
    My Bullgryns on the left similarly demolish the other unit of Boyz. The Painboy explodes and removes a couple of Bullgryns.

My turn, I move my Bullgryns forwards to grab Linebreaker. I need it to win. I need Linebreaker to just not make this game a wash. I also need Slay the Warlord. I need it.
    My Vengeance Weapons target Mogrok's unit and kill a few, but, again, that 4++ vs. Shooting is really, really dumb. But then my Guardsmen open fire on Big Redd and Friend-O the Painboy. I needed those guys dead because now they can't contest my Objective. But I forget that all Ork Independent Characters implode, killing a bunch of my Guardsmen, but they're sitting pretty with a Priest, so my remaining few guys left on the Objective are Fearless.

Some pot-shots from my Guardsmen with the Autocannons pick off a Meganob. Partly because Dagz Look Out!s everything that goes his way.
    Cyclops' Blast attack Scatters badly, and that's my turn over.

Turn 5
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, now with the comet out of the way, I'm breathing slightly easier. It didn't do nearly so much damage as it could have. But, still, I can potentially lose an Objective, and I need those. The Burna-Bommer uses its Acute Senses to come on the edge next to my shelled Guard squad, but Boom Bombs don't Ignore Cover, and my Priest makes them Fearless, so nothing really happens. Probably the biggest outcome is now my Autocannon squads have lines to the Rear Armour, not that that matters against Ork Fliers. Big Mek Mogrok realises that he's in a losing fight, and is now trying desperately to get out of Line of Sight of Steel Cyclops. Cyclops only needs one solid shot and I get Slay the Warlord, which I really, really want.

Big Mek Daggog fires his Shokk Attack Gun at the advancing Bullgryns...Zoink!, and teleports himself into combat with the Bullgryns, I'll take it!
    Ork Boyz' shooting manages to knock out a single Bullgryn...Somehow.

Assault! Dagz gets his head caved in and my Bullgryns get a free consolidate move forwards. Nothing wrong with that.

If I know my luck, if I shoot the Bommer down, it's going to Crash & Burn backwards and land on my squad and I'll lose the Objective. So my Enginseer guarding Cyclops peels off and moves towards the Objective, the Shadowsword hasn't been touched all game, and isn't going to die anytime soon, so that's not a problem, I move my Bullgryns kind of in between the Meganobz and Big Mek Mogrok, depending on how the Shadowsword shoots, I want my options open.

Cyclops roars. Bad Scatter. Hits the Bullgryns. Really. Still, a Shadowsword only shoots a small Blast marker, not a Large one, so it's fine 'cause Bullgryns have large bases. Vengeance Weapons fire at Mogrok. Two Battle Cannon shots later, Mogrok finally fails a Look Out, Sir! roll, and he implodes. Bullgryns don't care 'cause they're T5, but the Meganobz take a clipping, and S8 doubles one out when he fails his 2+ Save.
    My three Autocannons fire at the Bommer, then some Jink saves, and the Bommer is fine.

Since I made sure to save my Bullgryn shooting, I shoot some shots at the Meganobz, nothing happens. Then I fail the Charge, and the Meganobz get their Kombi-Skorcha shots anyway, but Bullgryns have a 3+ Save and aren't particularly bothered.

At the end of Turn 5, both of us are tired. If the game could end right now, that'd be great.
    ...It doesn't.

Turn 6
    Spoiler
    Show
    His Turn 6, he does nothing. The Bommer is out of Bombs, and flies around, picking off a single Guardsman.
    Ork Shooting takes out another Bullgryn.

My turn, Vengenace Weapons and Cyclops fires, not doing any damage because Cover Saves are a thing, and against the Battle Cannons, Meganobz have a 2+ Save.
    My Autocannons bring down the Bommer, and predicatably, it Crash & Burns onto my own units, and they all die, luckily, they weren't on an Objective. I didn't exactly need it dead, 'cause it can't Hover and so therefore isn't Scoring and can't make Linebreaker, still.

My Bullgryns Charge. Bullgryns beat the Meganobz in combat by 1 thanks purely to Hammer of Wrath hits and having Frag Grenades. Sweeping Advance kills the Nobz and I consolidate onto the Objective. My Bullgryns charge the untouched unit of Boyz, and don't win combat. They stick around.

Game ends. Finally.

Results
    Spoiler
    Show
    Orks have Objective Secured and Bullgryns don't. My opponent also has Slay the Warlord and First Blood.
    I control three Objectives, Slay the Warlord and have Linebreaker.

Imperium: 4+D3 - 2+D3 :Orks
    Preferred Enemy (Dice), don't you dare do this to me...

Final Score...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Imperium: 5 - 4 :Orks
    IMPERIUM WINS!!!!

Castellan Jakren Stein, Commander of the Imperial Forces on Alaric Prime, lay dying, choking on ectoplasmic goo. He'd evacuated his men from the mountain. Tempestor Prime Salem Whitlock had done what he could. But the planet's Noble Knight Houses were smashed to ruins, only a handful of Imperial Knights still stood on the entire planet. Big Mek Mogrok had smashed the Imperial strongpoint to smithereens. As Stein's eyes began to close for the last time, adrenaline surged in him one final time, as he saw more comets headed for his position. How can the Orks have more comets!? There were still so many Orks on the planet, and the Imperium had no leaders left to lead to last remaining Guardsmen on the planet, and whatever Knight Nobles left would surely fight amongst themselves for command, as only Stein himself had held them apart this long. But then the small meteorites broke atmosphere, and Stein saw retro-thrusters burn for a controlled descent. With his fading vision, Stein could make out the square eggs that could only be Space Marine Drop Pods, Stein could barely make out the blue-grey patterns marking the 'Pods...

Tune in for Part 2 of Sanctus Reach...THE SPACE WOLVES COMETH.
    You can fight like a krogan or run like a leopard but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

That was awesome to read.
    Claspedchurches: This is a mudstone dwarven fortress. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with bauxite, studded with ice, decorated with gold, and adorned with hanging rings of magma. This fortress menaces with spikes of steel, iron, bronze, and silver. On the fortress is an image of an image of cheese in pitchblende.

On the fortress is an image of a megaweapon in gold, silver, jet, obsidian and adamantine. The goblins are burning.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Loads of awesome stuff
    That was fantastic, and totally worth waiting for. Nice work Cheesegear.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Thanks for writting up those reports Cheesegear. Had a blast reading them. Are you planning to continue with the campaign?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Okay, so, with the new Blood Angels Codex, with the right units, it's possible to get Dante's Attacks up to 11 (It goes up to eleven!) on a charge.

He has 4 standard...
    +1 for pistol and axe.
    +1 for Chapter Banner (join Sanguinary Guard).
    +1 for Charging.
    +d3 (max 3) for the Quickening (Librarian).
    + an extra 1 for Rage, thanks to Unleash Fury (Librarian).

On a charge, he's striking at Strength 7, a Initiative 7-10 (6+d3 from the Quickening, possible +1 from Baal Strike Force), with a Weapon Skill of 6 or 7 (Priest dependant), and a Master-crafted Weapon, with an AP of 2.

If you're taking Dante, you're needing another HQ, so it may as well be a Librarian. And if you're taking Jump Packs, why not the dudes with the Chapter Banner? A pretty cool Death Star, even though Death Stars aren't always game-winning.

Personally, I think a small unit of Sanguinary Guard, with a Chapter Banner, accompanied by Dante, a Librarian and a Priest, one of which has Angel's Wing, is pretty cool, though, and capable of tearing through anything, assuming they don't get cut up by plasma. Drag along an Ordo Xenos Inquisitor, with a Plasma Siphon, Psychic Communion and some Servo-Skulls, maybe?
    Last edited by bluntpencil; 2014-12-16 at 12:28 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Where are you getting the third HQ slot for the Priest?
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Tehnar View Post
    Thanks for writting up those reports Cheesegear. Had a blast reading them. Are you planning to continue with the campaign?
    Maybe. The second half of the campaign deals strongly with Space Wolves, and personally, I'm not a fan. However, the Space Wolves actually have a few restrictions in every Mission which prevent the Wolves from just spamming Thunderwolves or Stormwolves and calling it a day. My opponent - who is having a blast, BTW, since his Orks aren't just getting immediately shat on - wants to continue. So, yeah, it depends on how much I love Space Wolves.

Another, minor part of the Campaign is Mission 9 & 10, while its essentially the conclusion of the campaign, Orks don't feature in it. Basically, it's up in the air, Christmas/New Year is around the corner and I think I'll wait 'til that nonsense is all over before I commit to anything.

Quote Originally Posted by bluntpencil View Post
    If you're taking Dante, you're needing another HQ, so it may as well be a Librarian. And if you're taking Jump Packs, why not the dudes with the Chapter Banner? A pretty cool Death Star, even though Death Stars aren't always game-winning.
    Sounds like a lot of points for something that isn't the Formation that can Charge after a Deep Strike, it's also a lot of points for a Death Star that isn't carting around a reliable means to get Invisibility. It's possible, sure, but it's not worth it.

Chaos Lord - 3 Attacks
    Mark of Khorne - Rage +2 on Charge
    Axe of Blind Fury - +D6, attacks are at-Initiative AP2
    Two weapons - +1
    Juggernaut - +1

7+D6. And doesn't rely on a host of other things to remain effective. Every model that you remove that isn't Dante, actually hampers him anyway. All the Juggerlord needs to do is spend ~150 Points on Cultists, and he's good to go. In total, with a few extra pieces of wargear, the Lord and Cultists comes to 335 Points. Serving also as a Troops unit.

Dante is 220, Librarian is 90, Sanguinary Priest is 60. Jump Pack and Angel's Wing is 40. 410 Points, and you haven't even got a unit yet, and you need to be running a list with 3 HQ slots, which means you need at least four Troops units to grab double-CAD. As a theoretical exercise, fine, but Chaos Marines have been doing something similar for ages, better, and aren't hamstringing themselves when they do it. As a practical exercise, just play Chaos Marines.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2014-12-16 at 07:06 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Something you mentioned in the last thread, Cheasegear, is that Space Wolves are doing fairly well against Knights by, "Not playing the game." Could you elaborate on that?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    Something you mentioned in the last thread, Cheasegear, is that Space Wolves are doing fairly well against Knights by, "Not playing the game." Could you elaborate on that?
    Sadly, I totally did.

Blood Claws (x5) + Stormwolf - 275 Points

Total: 1375 Points

Fill out the rest with whatever you think you need. Go second. Knights can't hurt Fliers. Fly around for six turns. On the last turn, drop all your ObSec Transports into Hover Mode on Objectives and you win (5 Transports for 5 Objectives). You don't even need to destroy the Knights because they don't have ObSec and you do, and the Knights can't really hurt you, so the only dice that ever get rolled are Space Wolf Reserve rolls and whatever the Knights do to hurt your ground Troops on Turn 1.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Maybe. The second half of the campaign deals strongly with Space Wolves, and personally, I'm not a fan. However, the Space Wolves actually have a few restrictions in every Mission which prevent the Wolves from just spamming Thunderwolves or Stormwolves and calling it a day. My opponent - who is having a blast, BTW, since his Orks aren't just getting immediately shat on - wants to continue. So, yeah, it depends on how much I love Space Wolves.

Another, minor part of the Campaign is Mission 9 & 10, while its essentially the conclusion of the campaign, Orks don't feature in it. Basically, it's up in the air, Christmas/New Year is around the corner and I think I'll wait 'til that nonsense is all over before I commit to anything.

Sounds like a lot of points for something that isn't the Formation that can Charge after a Deep Strike, it's also a lot of points for a Death Star that isn't carting around a reliable means to get Invisibility. It's possible, sure, but it's not worth it.

Chaos Lord - 3 Attacks
    Mark of Khorne - Rage +2 on Charge
    Axe of Blind Fury - +D6, attacks are at-Initiative AP2
    Two weapons - +1
    Juggernaut - +1

7+D6. And doesn't rely on a host of other things to remain effective. Every model that you remove that isn't Dante, actually hampers him anyway. All the Juggerlord needs to do is spend ~150 Points on Cultists, and he's good to go. In total, with a few extra pieces of wargear, the Lord and Cultists comes to 335 Points. Serving also as a Troops unit.

Dante is 220, Librarian is 90, Sanguinary Priest is 60. Jump Pack and Angel's Wing is 40. 410 Points, and you haven't even got a unit yet, and you need to be running a list with 3 HQ slots, which means you need at least four Troops units to grab double-CAD. As a theoretical exercise, fine, but Chaos Marines have been doing something similar for ages, better, and aren't hamstringing themselves when they do it. As a practical exercise, just play Chaos Marines.
    I'm going for cool at the same time. :)

Chaos have to issue challenges, right? Lack of Eternal Warrior may be a thing, too.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    Where are you getting the third HQ slot for the Priest?
    Dante isn't an HQ. ;)

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

If they were an obscure imperial fists chapter called the stone hounds, or some such name, would that be a better narrative to forge? 'Cause what's the point of forging a narrative if you can't make it your own.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I'm going for cool at the same time. :)
    Dante isn't an HQ. ;)
    If you were a real man, you'd use a third HQ, and bring Sanguinor for another +1 Attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Arutha View Post
    'Cause what's the point of forging a narrative if you can't make it your own.
    Because the Narrative isn't the problem. The problem is Space Wolf rules which I don't like. The problem is having to Ragnar and/or Logan need to be your Warlord in like, 6 of the 8 Missions.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2014-12-16 at 08:41 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Edit: No, read that wrong. Are there any Detachments without the Faction restriction, though?
    Last edited by bluntpencil; 2014-12-17 at 12:10 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Edit: No, read that wrong. Are there any Detachments without the Faction restriction, though?
    Why do you need special Detachments, what's wrong with CADs? From what I've seen (during the weekend and an odd game), Blood Angels, like Orks, benefit greatly by having several Detachments. The more Priests (FNP) that you can throw around, the better. Blood Angel Librarians are looking like they're getting the hard pass since they don't have access to Telepathy, in favour of more Priests. Corbulo appears mandatory, and Mephiston being ML3 with Adamantium Will made himself recognised over the weekend, though of course, not as Telepathy-caddy, throwing in a second CAD brings another two Priests.

What interests me though, is Death Co. and Sanguinary Guard now vie for the same slots, at fairly competitive points costs, too.
    Death Co; Power [Axe/Sword], Jump Pack - 38 ppm
    Sanguinary Guard; Encarmine [Axe/Sword] - 33 ppm

Both have identical statlines, DC have FNP vs. SG's 2+ Save. On the Charge, DC have Rage and two weapons for +3 Attacks. All the time, SG have Master-Crafted Weapons. In a five-model squad, the Chapter Banner on the SG evens out to 38 ppm, and only gets more efficient the more SG you cram into the unit. It's fairly equalised since Inferno Pistols and Power Fists have identical points costs and so cancel out. In the coming weeks I strongly suspect that Blood Angel players are going to fall into two camps; Death Company or Sanguinary Guard. But, that's my take, and only having the Codex for a week.

ION;
    Trying to get my 'Space Wolf' on, in Hour of the Wolf, Ragnar Blackmane must be the army's Warlord for three Missions (out of eight), unfortunately, I have no idea what to do with him. He has to Issue and Accept Challenges whenever possible, but only carries an AP3 weapon that doesn't cause Instant Death. What do I do with that? It's Krom Dragongaze all over again. Ragnar wont kill a Warboss in one turn, in return, will receive a Power Klaw to the face and die. I strongly suspect that if I have any illusions about playing HotW, I should probably start learning to Space Wolf...Now where did I put my Three Wolf Moon shirt?

Spoiler
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

What interests me though, is Death Co. and Sanguinary Guard now vie for the same slots, at fairly competitive points costs, too.
    Death Co; Power [Axe/Sword], Jump Pack - 38 ppm
    Sanguinary Guard; Encarmine [Axe/Sword] - 33 ppm
    Yeah, I guess Death Company can be made cheaper by only giving Power Weapons and Fists to a few models, using the others as ablative wounds. Is Lemartes worth it - he seems expensive? Astorath's axe seems an utter liability, so he's right out.

Sanguinary Guard, in numbers, with the possible addition of a Priest, is pretty cool too. I'm thinking Angel's Wing will be used in every army planning Jump Pack Deep Strikes.

Personally, I think Command Squads' access to Storm Shields is still pretty useful. They can make for reasonably cheap human shield for the likes of Dante, who does seem like something of a beatstick now.

Command Squad, 3 Storm Shields, Jump Packs: 155
    Add in Dante, or maybe Mephiston, and you've quite the scary, hard-to-kill, melee squad.

Is Gabriel Seth now the cheapest Lord of War in the game? This could prove useful for spamming Priests (although I love the idea of teaming Librarians up with Seth or Dante in order to cast the Quickening on them). Seth with the right buffs could prove very effective, possibly in a Death Company.
    Last edited by bluntpencil; 2014-12-17 at 03:47 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Yeah, I guess Death Company can be made cheaper by only giving Power Weapons and Fists to a few models, using the others as ablative wounds.
    If you don't give the Death Co. Power Weapons, their effectiveness drops considerably, as Melee attacks don't have an AP value, while Sanguinary Guard keep steamrolling because they do have Swords and Axes. Death Co that don't have Power Weapons can trade for Relentless Boltguns, which is kind of okay. But Sanguinary Guard come with AP4 Angelus Boltguns which are Assault weapons cancelling out Relentless, and AP4 takes out Dire Avengers and Fire Warriors. If you need to be cheap, sure, 23 Point Death Co. models have some strong staying power since they don't rely on a Priest for FNP saving even more points.
    If its your turn and you can Charge, DC are really, really strong with Power Weapons. If it's not your turn, and you're getting Charged, SG are kind of better, sort of, for five points less than a kitted Death Co. Marine.

Like I said, I don't think there's really a right answer. Both units have merits, depending on what you want to do and how you use them. But, what I do know, is that it will be a rare Blood Angels' army that fields both units.

Is Lemartes worth it - he seems expensive? Astorath's axe seems an utter liability, so he's right out.
    Lemartes is a Character in a unit that doesn't have any. He can pick up Challenges, but his more important use is to throw a Chaplain in your Death Company without taking your valuable HQ slots which are reserved for Priests and force multipliers. The only actual problem with Lemartes is that he isn't a unit addition, he actually takes an Elite slot all to himself, and can only join DC, which means you're probably using two Elite slots for one unit.

Astorath doesn't have any language on him that says he can only join units of DC. So, if he's your Warlord, he can pass out Adamantium Will to any squad. But, so does Mephiston, with ML3 for more bonuses.

Sanguinary Guard, in numbers, with the possible addition of a Priest, is pretty cool too. I'm thinking Angel's Wing will be used in every army planning Jump Pack Deep Strikes.
    Death Company, in numbers, with the possible addition of a Priest, is pretty cool too. The difference is that Death Co. already have FNP and have less use for the Priest. Priests are Independent Characters, they can go anywhere.

Personally, I think Command Squads' access to Storm Shields is still pretty useful.
    Yes.

They can make for reasonably cheap human shield for the likes of Dante, who does seem like something of a beatstick now.
    Sort of. Command Squads have problem in that the Company Champion has to Issue and Accept Challenges with an AP3 weapon, Space Marines have the same problem, but, for them, Champions are optional, wheras Blood Angels are forced into having one. Also, Blood Angels get Apothecaries for free as well. Maybe having a Champion and Apothecary for free is the Designer's way of making Command Squads a little bit attractive when standing next to DC and SG. Having said that, DC, SG, CS with free Champion and Apothecary, what are Vanguard even doing in the Blood Angels Codex? I can't really see any reason to take them at all.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

ION;
    Trying to get my 'Space Wolf' on, in Hour of the Wolf, Ragnar Blackmane must be the army's Warlord for three Missions (out of eight), unfortunately, I have no idea what to do with him. He has to Issue and Accept Challenges whenever possible, but only carries an AP3 weapon that doesn't cause Instant Death. What do I do with that? It's Krom Dragongaze all over again. Ragnar wont kill a Warboss in one turn, in return, will receive a Power Klaw to the face and die. I strongly suspect that if I have any illusions about playing HotW, I should probably start learning to Space Wolf...Now where did I put my Three Wolf Moon shirt?
    Stick him in a unit of wolf guard with Thor and have Lysander-lite issue/accept challenges since he's got the same rule about must issue/accept? Unfortunately, now you're in the hole for what, 450 points?

You could also stick him in a pod/flyer and have it come in from reserves, heroicly capturing an objective far, far away from his warboss or anyone with a powerklaw, though that's hardly an enticing narative is it?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Drasius View Post
    Stick him in a unit of wolf guard with Thor and have Lysander-lite issue/accept challenges since he's got the same rule about must issue/accept? Unfortunately, now you're in the hole for what, 450 points?

You could also stick him in a pod/flyer and have it come in from reserves, heroicly capturing an objective far, far away from his warboss or anyone with a powerklaw, though that's hardly an enticing narative is it?
    Alternatively, just use company of the great wolf (Plus, as long as a wolf guard is in a challenge, the whole unit gets preffered enemy- including Ragnar). Not entirely fitting with the narrative, but, hey, take what you can get.

Edit: Only problem is some of the missions are demanding you use his stupid blood claw formation, I imagine.
    Last edited by Squark; 2014-12-17 at 08:25 AM.