New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Dreamscarred Press Announces - Lords of the Night Playtest

It sure sounds like it'd be a problem at the moment. Even then, though, with the delayed HD progression and mediocre hit dice, a 10 Charisma animal companion is going to be very squishy indeed for a presumable front-liner. Might want to find a way to bump it up somehow?
    Incredible avatar made by Ceika.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by leonfenrir View Post
    I'm currently writing a ranger who's enjoying being undead a little too much. I reached for "Undead Companion" feat, but I found that it doesn't quite work so well for animal companions, like this poor alligator. An alligator has a Con of 15 and a Cha of 2. Even the host of undead immunities doesn't make up for that kinda loss.

Since undead alligators should be awesome and terrifying, it's clear that the feat needs a little bump. I'd consider adding a clause that increased their Charisma score to a minimum of 10.

Thoughts?
    Yeah, animals in general tend to have low Charisma so adding a clause to account for that would be good. I don't know if there's any unexpected ramifications of flat out boosting their charisma; maybe allowing them to determine their hit points based on the master's Cha score?
    Last edited by Ssalarn; 2015-03-15 at 07:43 PM.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Undead Companion [General]
    Your companion or familiar becomes undead.
    Prerequisites: animal companion, dark messenger, or familiar
    Benefit: Your animal companion, dark messenger, or familiar gains the undead type (if you have more than one of these features, choose one upon gaining this feat). Do not recalculate its base attack bonus hit points, saving throws, or skill points. If the creature’s Charisma score was less than its Constitution score before becoming undead, its Charisma score becomes equal to its former Constitution. Additionally it gains channel resistance +4. If another ability you possess would permanently alter the affected creature’s type (such as the sorrow’s shadow class feature), instead improve its positive energy resistance by +5 and its channel resistance by +2.
    Special: You may take this feat multiple times. Each time you do, choose another animal companion, dark messenger, or familiar you possess to be affected.

I feel this may work a lot better.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Firbolg in the Playground

And now I am pleased beyond beyond measure to present the final chapter for Lords of the Night, detailing a shadow society in which vampires gather for mutual protection and community. Now introducing: The Leatherworkers' Guild.

A few of the stat blocks are not yet finished; we're working on those.
    Last edited by Lord_Gareth; 2015-03-17 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

This is chock-full of REALLY sweet flavor, even if I need some brain bleach from the image of the initiation ritual

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire
    Optimization stops being practical and starts being theoretical when your DPR is measured in Tarrasques instead of hit points
    My Guides:
    PsyBomb's Guides to the Akashic Mysteries (Now with all three classes!)
    Fear Itself: the Dread

Extended Signature HERE

6. - Top - End - #216
    Orc in the Playground

The Leatherworker's guild is flippin amazing and would be a great little basis for a campaign or several!

So how would you guys try to incorporate these guys into your campaign?

I'd try to get them to view a council meeting and have them decide who they want to support secretly and let them do as they please. They could be as overt or covert as they want in pushing their faction to victory.

How do you think Astrid would respond to the death of Noras if a group of PCs just up and jumped him? Would she banish them? Have them killed? Reward them? Pretend it never happened?

That's probably best left to GM, but I'd probably have her banish them+give a reward.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ettin in the Playground

False Dawn needs the [light] descriptor
    Gift of Life should lose the "harmless". There are more obvious offensive applications (and one explicit one!) than Enlarge Person, and that doesn't ahve it.
    Hungering Blade (and greater) is missing from the anti-paladin list. Should also be on Bloodrager's.
    Hungering Blade on an archer Paladin is pretty deadly. 5/6 con damage for every future round in combat adds up fast. With the greater version even the highest CR Paizo creature not immune to ability damage (Balor Lord cr25) dies from con damage alone in 2/3 full attacks (from a level 16!)
    Swarming Bat Surge also sounds pretty antipaladin. It fits some bloodrager bloodlines pretty well too.
    Last edited by deuxhero; 2015-03-18 at 12:46 AM.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by deuxhero View Post
    False Dawn needs the [light] descriptor
    Gift of Life should lose the "harmless". There are more obvious offensive applications (and one explicit one!) than Enlarge Person, and that doesn't ahve it.
    Hungering Blade (and greater) is missing from the anti-paladin list. Should also be on Bloodrager's.
    Hungering Blade on an archer Paladin is pretty deadly. 5/6 con damage for every future round in combat adds up fast. With the greater version even the highest CR Paizo creature not immune to ability damage (Balor Lord cr25) dies from con damage alone in 2/3 full attacks (from a level 16!)
    Swarming Bat Surge also sounds pretty antipaladin. It fits some bloodrager bloodlines pretty well too.
    Cheers deuxhero, those are some excellent points.

Hungering blade (and its greater variant) are tricky from a balance perspective. The easiest thing to do would be to increase the spell level, or to allow it only apply on the first successful attack made each round.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ettin in the Playground

It's really only a problem with archer paladins. Archery's two bonus arrows and range and Paladins being the only full BAB user (more attacks) increase the damage far past what a mid BAB archer or melee Paladin could do. Its not a problem at all in the hands of a mid BAB melee.

Saying that it only applies once to to multishot is specific, but seems like it would work

10. - Top - End - #220

The stat block for Izzie Redwaters has been updated, and now Astrid has been added. Endless thanks to PsyBomb for both!

Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    The stat block for Izzie Redwaters has been updated, and now Astrid has been added. Endless thanks to PsyBomb for both!
    They were fun to write. Let me tell you, do NOT face Astrid without easy access to True Ressurection and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire
    Optimization stops being practical and starts being theoretical when your DPR is measured in Tarrasques instead of hit points
    My Guides:
    PsyBomb's Guides to the Akashic Mysteries (Now with all three classes!)
    Fear Itself: the Dread

Extended Signature HERE

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

Smythe's stat block is incoming; I had some Third-Party Thursday stuff that ended up taking a bunch of my time and delaying that one.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Barbarian in the Playground

She slew her husband, but that was not the sin.

They had been walking for many days across a great desert. Neither had water but each others' sweat touch their lips for nearly a week. Both could feel nothing but hot dust in their throats. When the woman turned on her husband, it was for water. She cut open his neck and drank from him in the heat of the daytime sun, and for the rest of the day she lay in the sand breathing heavily. Sun looked down upon her.

“You wish to slake yourself with all the blood in a human's body. You cannot do this. Only the gods can do this. So, you shall be like them, holding power mortals can never touch,” the Sun said. “Blood will sate your hunger and thirst, only for a time. Only blood can sate the hunger. Forever, until even the stars wink out, one by one, and unto again the next iteration, and when there is no blood, you will shrivel until blood is spilled upon you again. I sleep now, and if I ever again see your face, I will tear this curse and blessing away from you with fire. Your body will die, but you will lurch ever onward, unwelcome among the gods.”

The woman cried silently, but at nightfall, began walking again. She reached the shore of a great river just before sunrise the next day. She pleaded at the Sun.

“What did I say?” Sun howled, and her flesh began to boil.

“What of children?” she called back. “You would curse me to forever wander the night, give me power, and yet kill my body so that I may not have children?”

“Very well,” Sun said. “Find those who have sinned, and you may pass your curse to those who wish to repay that sin, not just of yours, but of the sin that follows them, that you may be bound to earthly hunger and desires of flesh forever.”

So she scurried under a rock and waited for nightfall.

“You,” Moon said.

The woman looked up and saw the moon.

“I heard about your troubles with Sun,” it said. “I'll put my curse on it, as well.”

“Why do you curse me further?”

“I curse you with an escape!” Moon said. “As you hunt, hunt the sinners, give them your curse as your children, and they shall draw it from their prey. They will devour the earthly sins and keep them here, so that demons might not catch those that die. Find the most sinful, and spare them torment by feasting! In so doing, also atone for them in this ritual I will show you.”

And Moon came down, and showed Vampire how to bring sin to the surface, how to feed when it is at its most powerful, and how to purge it once their bellies were full of blood. The woman thanked Moon and walked away into the night.

She hides from Sun, still.
    "Scary magical hoodoo and technology are the same thing; their difference is merely one of cultural context." - Arthur C. Clarke (paraphrased)

14. - Top - End - #224

And then, I updated Unquiet Grave in the master playtest doc. I'm going to go through and eliminate the side-docs, they're kinda a pain in the butt to remember and update >.>

My extended homebrew sig

15. - Top - End - #225

Added Natasha Hollowshade to the document, as well as a pair of sidebars - "Soon the Living Shall Envy the Dead" and "Wretched Hives of Scum and Villainy".

My extended homebrew sig

16. - Top - End - #226
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Have I mentioned how awesome it is to have a public playtest and community feedback? I'm so used to writing in a vacuum, and it's so good to hear everyone's cool ideas.

Greater Hungering Blade has been changed so that it's a slightly higher level, and allows a save for half. Paladins no longer get this version of the spell, although normal hungering blade is only 3rd level for them. I feel it is now much closer to balanced, but I'd love to hear your thoughts.
    Last edited by leonfenrir; 2015-03-25 at 10:04 PM.

17. - Top - End - #227

We should have the new powers up tonight or tomorrow, depending on how things go. In the meantime, we're about to announce some edits to Nightguard that are being transported into the doc now.

My extended homebrew sig

18. - Top - End - #228
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

We made some changes to the Nightguard, both to make it smoother and to make it feel more tactical (as opposed to just feeling powerful).

The main changes are:
    • Aura of Fury: Now resilience it makes you and nearby allies harder to crit.
      Watchman's Zeal: Now Gravekeeper's Vigil, boosting the touch AC of you and nearby allies.
      Weaken: Now allows a moderate save.
      Condemn: Only prevents healing
      Guilt Wrack: Now confuses your target

The biggest change is that while you can now apply powerful penalties to the target of your smite, you must choose one when you declare the smite. Hopefully this makes the choice of Nemises a more thoughtful one, and more in line with the power of the replaced mercies.

Thanks Djinn_in_tonic for all your feedback.

19. - Top - End - #229

I normally don't read fluff in this sorta vein, but I really liked it, was actually surprised with the bit about forgeborn especially since it remembered how horrible the charisma of forgeborn are (I think).
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

20. - Top - End - #230

Just wondering, where is Geth's Mind Control printed?
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

21. - Top - End - #231

Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    Just wondering, where is Geth's Mind Control printed?
    Ultimate psionics. You'll also find it on PFSRD under just "mind control"; in fact, you can follow this link.

My extended homebrew sig

22. - Top - End - #232

And now I arise once more, in the glory of darkness, to make an announcement!

Formal playtesting is now over. The playtest document is going to stay up (and all information in it is current), and we are of course still accepting any feedback that's available, either for last-minute changes to the document or for the creation of an errata document, but Lords of the Night is now in layout. Keep an eye on the usual spots to see when it's up for grabs.

I cannot thank you guys enough for your feedback, and for putting up with a solid month of me just vanishing with little in the way of warning or explanation. This book wouldn't be what it is without you, and I'm honored to have shared the experience.

Good evening, everyone. Mine co-author will be around shortly to add his own thoughts.
    Last edited by Lord_Gareth; 2015-03-31 at 09:59 PM.

My extended homebrew sig

23. - Top - End - #233
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

This is the first project I've done with a formal open beta, and, well: Wow.

Thank you guys/girls, you were an enormous help. Vampires are my favourite mythical creature, and I'm happy with the work we've done to make them both a PC option and a campaign option.

For the complete experience, please reread my co-authors post in a thick Aussie accent, as that will adequately express my views.

Thank you all.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ettin in the Playground

I look forward to the finished book, and I must say, thank you for being awesome. And playtesting. And taking feedback and using it smartly. It's just wonderful to see something like this happen and work, given the normal PF playtest quality (even if it is third-party; you guys are awesome!).

25. - Top - End - #235
    Bugbear in the Playground

Been a hell of a lot of fun playing with this, and I remain super excited for the published product. ^^
    Incredible avatar made by Ceika.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm disappointed that the majority of this playtest happened while my laptop was down. I feel I could have been a bit more active with it. That said, woot, vampbook.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Halfling in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

In its last sentence, Starving Vampire Stance refers to itself as a maneuver, rather than as a stance.

Also, what is the point of Gravekeeper's Vigil nemesis? Don't deflection bonuses already apply to touch AC?

Headstone Breaking Strike: 4 ability damage on a successful attack roll, with no save, seems awfully powerful for a strike available at character level 3. Am I missing something here that makes this more tame than it looks?

The wording on Epidermal Fissure's first augment is messed up. Can this be applied more than once per casting?

Otherwise, looks very good. Have some ideas for vampire PCs I'd like to run, and this vampire template looks much easier to put on a PC without ruining the campaign than the Bestiary one. I'm also looking forward to using the Unquiet Grave discipline, especially on a Zealot where I can combine its temp HP with martyrdom.
    Last edited by Kymera; 2015-04-21 at 08:50 PM.

28. - Top - End - #238

Quote Originally Posted by Kymera View Post
    In its last sentence, Starving Vampire Stance refers to itself as a maneuver, rather than as a stance.
    I'll see if I can get that fixed in the PDF.

Also, what is the point of Gravekeeper's Vigil nemesis? Don't deflection bonuses already apply to touch AC?
    Right now that bonus only applies against critical confirmation rolls. If you take Vigil, it applies against all touch attacks, as well as against critical hit confirmation.

Headstone Breaking Strike: 4 ability damage on a successful attack roll, with no save, seems awfully powerful for a strike available at character level 3. Am I missing something here that makes this more tame than it looks?
    Meant to revise that to 1d4, forgot to fix it. Sorry, don't hurt me >.>

The wording on Epidermal Fissure's first augment is messed up. Can this be applied more than once per casting?
    Gonna get that fixed too, apply just once.

Otherwise, looks very good. Have some ideas for vampire PCs I'd like to run, and this vampire template looks much easier to put on a PC without ruining the campaign than the Bestiary one. I'm also looking forward to using the Unquiet Grave discipline, especially on a Zealot where I can combine its temp HP with martyrdom.
    Woo! Glad to hear you like it, and thanks for the feedback/catches. You got us just in time; we almost released :V

My extended homebrew sig

29. - Top - End - #239
    Halfling in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    Right now that bonus only applies against critical confirmation rolls. If you take Vigil, it applies against all touch attacks, as well as against critical hit confirmation.
    Ah. found my mistake. It applies to the Aura of Resilience ac bonus, not the Smite one.
    Last edited by Kymera; 2015-04-24 at 08:27 PM.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Dwarf in the Playground

I know that this is very late to the party but I wish there was a trait that let living party members heal from negative energy and maybe get the possible healing from unquiet grave. Something like this.

Touch of Undeath

Through some cruel twist of fate your spirit has been changed to something darker than most.

Benefit: Though you are a living creature, you react to positive and negative energy as if you were undead. Positive energy harms you, while negative energy heals you.

You can take my idea if you like it. :)