New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Pop Culture Adventures/Hooks

I'm DMing a new game this next semester, and the idea of adding in guns (old school, like muskets and flintlock pistols) stirred a few players up. I was kind of disappointed, given I'm now making a Western-influenced campaign without it.

Given this, I figured I'd try for the next best thing to mess with the guys (in good fun) by answering the question -- what's the best idea of incorporating some pop culture reference into an adventure, hook, or NPC?

A few ideas I came up with were Santiago, the aging fisherman who can't catch anything (Old Man and the Sea), a Hound of the Baskervilles-style murder mystery with a real hellhound, and an over-the-top, bumbling Lone Ranger character. Any input from you guys would be awesome.
    Last edited by Generic; 2014-12-21 at 07:19 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Re: Pop Culture Adventures/Hooks

What are the ages of the players? That would determine what kind of pop culture references you'll have.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Pop Culture Adventures/Hooks

If they end up in the ocean, have them eaten by a colossal plus creature and inside its stomach, have them find an old tinkerer trying to find his construct aide (Pinocchio).
    Thanks to Kymme for my sweet avatar of Bendar Roy, my kick@$$ dwarven rogue.