New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Creatures beyond our comprehension

I'm looking for images creatures that transcend understanding or explanation. It's so easy to describe something as being beyond comprehension but so few monsters out there capture it. Can you think of any? I'm aware of the Gibbering Horror, Shrieking Terror, Cthulhu, and the word "Psuedonatural", which after some unfruitful googling, has lead me to post here.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Default Re: Creatures beyond our comprehension

Yog sothoth or Azathoth (I think I spelled those right) are giant formless masses of madness

Edit: In fact, any Lovecraft monster besides Cthulhu would do, and Cthulhu only lost his terror because he's been reinterpret so many times as to remove all horror from him
    Last edited by A Tad Insane; 2014-12-26 at 03:16 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

This may be some of what you're looking for.

Spoiler: Image
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4

ElfPirate

Women, any of 'em.
    Hmm, seem to have left the last letter out of my name I wonder if I can change that somehow...

Vestige by Marlowe http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...2&postcount=70

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Pretty much anything ever conjured by the diseased mind of Junji Ito fits the bill I think.

Actually, come to think of it, Salvador Dali is actually the place to look.

Just try to imagine any one element, object or creature, from a Dali painting moving around in the normal world. If you just soiled yourself in terror, then congratulations, you've succeeded in picturing it accurately.
    Last edited by DoomHat; 2014-12-26 at 05:33 PM.
    ...with a vengeance!

7. - Top - End - #7

Motherfrickin' angels and their vast and alien gods.

Also, if we're being traditional about it the biblical God, though that's all I'll say on that matter.
    Avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins! Three cheers and all that.

The World's Greatest (and only) Deceiver Askblog!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DoomHat View Post
    Just try to imagine any one element, object or creature, from a Dali painting moving around in the normal world. If you just soiled yourself in terror, then congratulations, you've succeeded in picturing it accurately.
    Instead, it just made me go 'what'.

Which, I guess, is the non-scary kind of 'beyond our comprehension'.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Cheers folks, you may consider me equal parts intrigued and sorry I asked.

I'll call that a successfully answered thread :D

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post
    Instead, it just made me go 'what'.

Which, I guess, is the non-scary kind of 'beyond our comprehension'.
    I agree with goto124, all I got was thinking about a melting clock flopping around screaming 'heeeeeelp meeeeee' in a tiny little voice. It's not scary, it's hilarious.
    Last edited by Honest Tiefling; 2014-12-30 at 11:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

11. - Top - End - #11

ElfWarriorGuy

I can imagine all of it moving, and it makes perfect sense to me. Maybe I just stare at too much M. C. Escher, or maybe I'm just insane.
    I'M NOT CRAZY!!

I just find sanity a rather dull affair

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by A Tad Insane View Post
    I can imagine all of it moving, and it makes perfect sense to me. Maybe I just stare at too much M. C. Escher, or maybe I'm just insane.
    Eh. Only a tad.

You know what creatures have driven men insane since the dawn of time? An incomprehensible mind-breaking creature that plagues mankind, unavoidable and inextricable?
    Spoiler: MADNESS LURKS WITHIN!
    Show
    Women
    My latest homebrew: Majokko base class and Spellcaster Dilettante feats for D&D 3.5 and Races as Classes for PTU.

Currently Playing
    Raiatari Eikibe - Ghostfoot's RHOD Righteous Resistance

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

If you can describe it, or draw it, it doesn't fill the requirements. Here is a verbal non-description from Alan Moore's Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?:

"I can't describe what <it> became. It had width, breadth, height, and a couple of other things. ... It hurt my head to look at it."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Honestly, I find it to work best if the horrors ARE comprehensible, but use alien rules. For instance, I had a game on a ruined Kirbyverse world once. The characters were always having to jump off high places, at minimal danger (in D20 terms, falling damage was capped at one point, DC 4 Tumbling check to avoid, for terminal velocity), and casting metal.

They found a huge metal object left by the invaders impaled through one of their gods, thus trapping it in statue form about on the scale of the Statue of Liberty. They broke some of it off and tried to melt it down, but had difficulty - it was an irregular piece, and if you turned it 360 degrees, you found you weren't looking at it at the same angle as before - you had to turn it 720 degrees to turn it around once, so they had to rotate it in the fire to heat it up. Then they dug the bottom of the rock out to get the bar out, and it dropped like a rock, wrecking stuff below. Between the two behaviors of the material, they seemed pretty freaked out. However, the alien stuff worked on predictable physics, just alien ones. Every time they figured out a bit more about the things, they got more creeped out by the alienness and not once did I try to retreat to "indescribable" and the like.

There are a lot of alien things in the world to use as a basis. For creatures, any extremophile or invertebrate is likely to have a remote enough craziness to use and work with. For physics, just read any of the new stuff on particles or whatever. One physics student I knew remarked that their favorite professor started out the class by telling everyone that their lectures were once a week on Thursday, and on any given week, if anyone hadn't found themselves wandering sleepless and gibbering at random people at 3 AM by Monday, they needed to be in his office to find out what they didn't understand from the lecture. Then proceeded to explain something about how everything in the universe was equidistant to everything else but that size was a dimension.
    "We were once so close to heaven, Peter came out and gave us medals declaring us 'The nicest of the damned'.."
    - They Might Be Giants, "Road Movie To Berlin"