A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 51 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default MtG: YMTC challenge II: The Purple Blues

So, I'm just gonna copy over the text from the other thread...

Rather than having a weekly contest with many entries and judging and a winner being declared who makes the next contest, instead everyone is a contestant, a judge, and the creator of the next contest all at once!

Each post should contain a short critique of the card made by the poster before them, a card that meets the challenge posted by the poster before them, and a new challenge for the next poster to take on.

Other contests:
    You Make the Card
    You Make the Mini-Set!

There is no time limit on when a challenge can be met, and no restriction on how often you can post other than that you can't fulfill your own challenges. If two people respond to the same challenge, the next poster simply picks which of those to judge and meet the challenge of, though if you're up to it you could also try fulfilling both challenges at the same time, assuming that's possible.

As with the other challenges, cards should be submitted in text format, like so:

Card Name Mana Cost
    Type - Subtype Rarity
    Card Text
    Flavor Text
    Power/Toughness

For example:

Giant Spider 3G
    Creature - Spider C
    Reach (This creature can block creatures with flying.)
    "It has a quickness about it that seems unnatural for its large size, yet its hunger is about right."
    —Endril, Kalonian naturalist

2/4

Spoiler: Purple and Idols FAQ
    Show
    Who are You and What did You do to Magic?

We're here to have fun, and having fun includes randomly making new subtypes and/or colours. The reason that this is here is that people keep on asking what they are and how they're supposed to work with them. Idols were designed originally by Fifth Column Games in their game War of Omens, and Purple was due to show up in Planar Chaos but never did. I grabbed both of these into Magic as it currently stands, and some people picked up on them.

This FAQ is to explain what exactly happens when someone's talking about "Purple" or something has the "Idol" subtype without you having a clue what that means.

Idols are probably something that Wizards can do - the idea is similar to Shrines, which happened - but purple is right up there with half-values on the Storm scale, and only half a point down from the eponymous defunct keyword. Challenges which require idols should be fine, but challenges shouldn't require purple, or at least should offer a let-out if you don't like it.

Idols and purple have their own sets and backstory which feature in some of the explanations below.

What's an Idol?

Styx Idol by Aisu Isme

An idol is one of many shrines, icons or holy objects (including weapons and animated constructs) that fell from the Otherworld due to the actions of Speaker Trianna, a planeswalker from Veldan. They are all spiritually interlinked, and a prayer to one would call out to all nearby.

Mechanically, an idol has the following characteristics (These are the defining characteristics, these are more mutable):

• It is an ARTIFACT with the IDOL subtype.
    • It is COLOURLESS but uses COLORED mana for its ACTIVATED ABILTITY.
    • It has "CCT: Energise each idol you control," where C are coloured mana. They may both be the same colours or different colours; they might be purple.
    • It has "When you energise ~, do something."
    • It might be a creature, equipment or fortification.

For example:

Idol of Life 1
    Artifact - Idol C
    WWT: Energise each idol you control.
    When you energise idol of life, you gain 2 life.

What About purple?

Purple by Edux

There was, originally, going to be a set with purple in it, which represented a sort of otherworldly, unnatural force. This never actually ended up happening, but the idea stuck with me. The basic land for purple was either going to be cave or city; I chose city, as it fit with Purple's unnatural, and yet all too close to home, theme.

Purple is the third colour of mana, after blue but before black - the new order is WUPBRG. The basic land for purple is City. Cities are basic lands but city isn't a basic land type; purple is a colour but purple isn't one of The Colours Of Magic. This means the following (Coalition Victory and Transguild Courier are the more interesting ones, the others act the same way they would with white)

All is Dust: Destroys purple permanents.
    Alloy Golem: When you're asked for a colour, "Purple" is a valid response and the golem can become purple.
    Brave the Elements: When you're asked for a colour, "Purple" is a valid response. "Protection from purple" is a valid ability.
    Coalition Victory: Checks to see if you control a plains, an island, a swamp, a mountain, a forest, a white creature, a blue creature, a black creature, a red creature and a green creature. It doesn't care whether or not you have a city or a purple creature. If you have a red and purple creature, Coalition Victory sees a red creature. If you have a swamp city, it registers as a swamp.
    Emrakul, the Aeons Torn: Has protection from purple permanents.
    Transguild Courier: Isn't purple. It would need to say "All colours, and purple." I know that doesn't sound as though it makes sense, but it does.

What is Purple as a Personality Type?

Purple Rain by Joe Maccer

My colour is purple. I value individuality and thought, I value justice and personal benefit, I value natural and mechanical. I take what I see as the best aspects of the world out of their context, and live it to the full, but also stand by my own way of thinking with utter disregard for the opinions of others. At my best, I am innovative and a maverick. At my worst, I am debased and an outcast. Nominally, my ally colours are blue and black, and my enemy colours are green and, to a lesser extent white and red, but in reality, I could be anyone's ally and my own worst enemy.

I am purple and white. I value personal discipline and excellence. I am a natural-born leader, and work to defeat tyrannical rulers and follow my dreams, helping others whenever I can. At my best, I am charitable and inspiring. At my worst, I am proselytising and over-zealous.

I am purple and blue. I enjoy escaping to my own company and thinking about the things of this world. I am so much better at considering things I can't see than other people that sometimes people ask whether or not I am real. At my best, I am intellectual and honest. At my worst, I am pedantic and unrealistic.

I am purple and black. I am an individualist to the extreme, believing my way of doing things to be objectively correct. I get things done at an alarming rate, ignoring anyone who thinks they know better than me. At my best, I am efficient and self-sufficient. At my worst I am over-proud and egocentric.

I am purple and red. I am loud and boisterous, and prepared to go with any scheme even without support. I am usually maniacal about something, and love being free from what the rest of the world things. At my best I am independent and confident. At my worst I am destructive and hot-headed.

I am purple and green. I can lose myself in the wilds easily, and much prefer the company of the outdoors to the company of humans, though I'm not averse to taking very close friends along with me. At my best I am carefree and impassive, at my worst I am reserved and distant.

What does Purple do Mechanically? What About the Colour Combinations?

Purple does quite a lot of things, actually!

The Cards are Made Up and the Rules Don't Matter

Keep Calm and Screw the Rules by Slamtackle

"This card has flying!" "No it doesn't." "You can't bring cards back from exile!" "Oh yes I can!" "Wait, it's a sorcery and a planeswalker at the same time?" "Well, no, not the same time. It's a flip card." "EXILE TARGET LIBRARY?" "Teehee~"

There are lots of things that don't happen in magic. Things don't move about between permanent and non-permanent. Things don't eat up people's abilities like cotton candy. You don't exile entire libraries. But then, whoever heard of "Protection from everything" or a spell that repeats itself each upkeep but nigh-on bans you from playing the game? Well, Progenitus and Epic would like to say hi. Strange corners of Magic which could be visited but aren't suddenly see the light. Be inspired!

Examples:

Quijuk Acolyte 1WP
    Creature - Human wizard R
    1WPT, exile Quijuk Acolyte: Revivify target card. (Return a card in exile to your hand)
    1/2

Quijuk Tranquil W/P
    Creature - Human Monk C
    Silenced (Quijuk Tranquil loses all abilities except silenced, and its equipment and auras have no effect except granting Silenced).
    People say they have no emotions. All we know is that they're the ones the Quijuk allow to leave, and they're the ones who've never wanted to return.

1/1

Card Wars: The Johnny Strikes Back

Throw Your Cards Down by Tempasta

"So then I play Crescendo, but because I cast another spell this turn, it does four damage instead of two but because I have a card with Flamestorm 1 that does another 1 damage, and it triggers Perpetual Motion so I draw a card, and then I cast Otherworld Lance, but I have a card with Accelerate so I only pay RP for it, and it does another point of damage, then I draw another card. I use Dust to Dust, draw another card with Perpetual Motion, and that exiles my graveyard, which means I use Otherworld Lance's Otherworlder cost to cast it again from exile, which does an extra point of damage from having Flamestorm, and Perpetual Motion draws another card. Okay, now it's your turn."

No-one does weenie instants or sorceries with much conviction, because they have to cantrip, and most of weenie effectiveness relies on synergy and anthems, which don't work as well with non-permanents. Solution: Have anthems which affect the spells that you cast, and have spells which synergise with other spell casts, in a sort of storm-esque way without bringing back Storm itself.

Examples:
    Perpetual Motion 4UP
    Enchantment - R
    When you cast a spell, draw a card.

Waize Flameholder 2PR
    Creature - Human Mage U
    Flamestorm 1 (When a source you control would deal non-combat damage, it deals 1 more damage)
    3/3

Crescendo 1PR
    Sorcery U
    Crescendo deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
    Second Wind - Crescendo deals 4 damage to that creature or player instead if you've cast another spell this turn.

Exile!

The Exile by Lostknightkg

The exile zone is meant to be a kind of super-graveyard for cards that never come back. AWOL highlights what happened to that idea. Now, purple capitalises on the exile zone, chucking entire graveyards in and pulling them back onto the battlefield with reckless abandon.

Examples:

Otherworldly Power 4PP
    Sorcery - R
    Otherworldly power deals X damage divided as you wish between any number of creatures and players and you gain X life, where X is the number of cards in exile.
    They may be in a better place, but they are no worse magi for that.

Void Dance 1P
    Sorcery - U
    Exile any number of target permanents you own.
    What was ours once will be ours forever.

Seek and Destroy P
    Sorcery - C
    Draw a card.
    Search your library for a card and exile it. Then shuffle your library.
    To the Otherworld! Go!

Guild Abilities

Purgators P
    Mechanics: Judgement (When a creature fighting, blocking or blocked by this creature dies, exile it), Otherworlder {Cost} (If this card is in exile, you may cast it for {Cost})

House Quijuk WP
    Mechanics: Silenced (This permanent loses all abilities except silenced, and its equipment and auras have no effect except granting Silenced), Revivify (Return target card from exile to your hand)

House Kasstar UP
    Mechanics: Warpstrike {cost} (When ~ becomes blocked you may pay {cost}. If you do, exile ~ and return it to the battlefield under your control, tapped and attacking.), Shift (Whenever ~ is targeted you may return it to your hand and put another creature with the same or lower converted mana cost onto the battlefield which then becomes the target instead. That card cannot Shift this turn.)

House Zelb PB
    Mechanics: Isolation (Spells and abilities which effect "all" or "each" do not effect this card),
    Outcast (Permanents with outcast cannot be exiled)

House Waize PR
    Mechanics: Flamestorm X (When a spell you control would deal noncombat damage, it deals X more instead), Second Wind - If you've cast another spell this turn, do X.

House Gidai PG
    Mechanics: Lock In (Target a card and remember what card it is); Paragon If X has the highest power among creatures you control, [effect].

Clan Trostan WPR
    Mechanics: Standalone - If you control no (other) creatures, [effect]; Substitute - If there are no valid targets/you can't/no Xs are Yed in this way, [effect].

Veldan UPB
    Mechanics: Conversion {Cost} (Cost, reveal ~ from your hand: Target spell you control becomes a copy of ~. If applicable, X is equal to the CMC of that spell); One Eye Open - When you draw a card, do X.

What's the Story Behind These Anyway?

Until recently, nobody had ever heard of Purple mana. How could a city, a congregation of humans who utterly destroy the land on which they live without reverence or care, be a source of mana? And yet, it was this very same left-fieldness, the selfsame strangeness, that led Trianna, a planeswalker from Veldan, to be able to draw mana from it. She realised that the power of mana on Veldan was being channeled through the creations of the people themselves.

However, Trianna's meddling did not go without consequence. Transplanar Rifts, which allowed anyone or anything to travel through, came between any plane that Trianna had visited and the planes where purple mana was more easily accessible. These rifts appeared first around the places of power, the idols, which were sucked through into the realms she had visited.

And so idols began to appear in Innistrad, Ravinica, Tarkir and Veldan. Preachers stood at the strange structures, praying for a miracle that would deliver them from their enemies. Guilds harnessed the idols' powers to wage war on another front. Clans guarded the idols as though they were sacred. And Trianna put her head in her hands and moaned.

It got worse. The purple guilds wanted their idols back. The Quijuk, responsible for ensuring morals more than law, tried to steal back their idols with minimal loss of life. The quiet and reserved Kasstar, known for their eminent dishonour, took similar tactics, while the psychotic sociopaths of house Zelb killed anyone who got in their way, where as the enraged and flagrant house Waize burned entire buildings to get what they wanted. The Gidai, masters of the hunt, assassinated anyone and everyone to return the idols of the gods. Ravinica was under assault and half of them didn't even know it.

More obvious were the Trostan clan, who ravaged across the wastes of Tarkir defying any and all to oppose them. Purgators, strange mockeries of what it means to be a free being, fought with angel and demon alike across Innistrad. And then, Trianna decided to move in, just to add to the confusion. Nobody was quite sure who was fighting whom, but Trianna was determined to stop them.

Are There Going to be Sets for These?
    Yes.

I have no idea what I'm actually calling these, but they get development codenames because they do. Yes, I might actually write them all up because I'm that crazy.

Yellow: In which idols are introduced - artifact themed set. Details the story of the idols appearing; limited purple in the form of mono-purple as Purgators invade Innistrad.
    Magenta: In which purple people invade Ravinica. Lots of use of guild abilities.
    Cyan: Where Trostan and Veldan lay their scene. Involves three-colour purple, and lots of things cantrip or cause each other to cantrip. (Might keyword cantrip?)

The idea of the set is "Playing Magic in a different way" - Artifact decks and Everything is Cantrips allow you to take a break from creatures and makes card advantage odd, Trostan's change-the-mana-cost abilities radically change the game dynamic, and purple is... well, purple!

Let's continue the proceedings:

Relentless Justicar is weird, and not particularly white. Also, I'm not even sure how you resolve something attacking you.

Lord Inquisitor 3WR
    Creature - Human Cleric R
    When a human enters the battlefield under your control, put a +1/+1 counter on it, and it has haste.
    3/3

Next: Make a tribal card which isn't a creature.
    Last edited by Jormengand; 2015-04-05 at 03:23 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: MtG: YMTC challenge II: The Purple Blues

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Relentless Justicar is weird, and not particularly white. Also, I'm not even sure how you resolve something attacking you.
    It is not able to and therefore wouldn't have to attack anyone.

Lord Inquisitor 3WR
    Creature - Human Cleric R
    When a human enters the battlefield under your control, put a +1/+1 counter on it, and it has haste.
    3/3
    Compare Bramblewood Paragon. Of course Human is a much more varied tribe than Warrior and as such a more powerful tribal. Elf Warriors were likely in that block to get spammed at human speed, however. As such I'd suggest lowering the cost and P/T to make it a little stronger or reducing its rarity.

Next: Make a tribal card which isn't a creature.
    Spoiler: I've made too much green stuff to these challenges...
    Show
    Herd the Trees 2G
    Tribal Sorcery - Treefolk
    Search your library for up to two forests and put one into hand and one onto the battlefield tapped.

If you control a treefolk you may play an additional land this turn.

Cast Down the Just B
    Tribal Instant - Demon
    Destroy target White creature unless you control a demon.

If you control a demon choose one:
    Exile target White creature.
    Destroy up to 2 target White creatures.

Challenge: Make something that would make Azorius (either the guild or the color combination) cry/be upset.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Spoiler: Ninja
    Show
    Pretty Good human tribal. Not that overpowered.

Prayer for Titania 3G
    Tribal Enchantment - Elf R
    Tap five Untapped Elf creatures you control: Target artifact's controller sacrifices it.

Nothing quite like demon tribal. I think it fits really well. It could read "If you control a demon Exile target white creature, or destroy two target white creatures. Otherwise, destroy target white creature"

Escape Artist BU
    Creature - Rogue R
    UB: If a creature you control would be the target of an enchantment spell, it targets Escape artist instead
    At the end each turn, exile Escape Artist, then return it to the battlefield under your control.
    2/3

Challenge, make a card with the "World" supertype
    Last edited by Beelzebub1111; 2015-01-01 at 09:20 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Prayer for Titania: Hmm... seems to have very specialist use, which I know was intended, but might be too far. Unless you're playing against hordes of artifact creatures, or something like idols (if idols were actually a thing), then it's not going to be at all useful. That's also a lot of elves.

Escape Artist is weird, with the bad guardianesque effect and then shaking the enchantments off. Also, has no creature subtypes? Might be just as well, or Champions of the Parish might laugh their faces off, but seems odd.

The Otherworld 3PPP
    Enchantment - World R
    Nonland cards in exile have "Otherworlder: pay purple mana equal to this card's converted mana cost" (If a card with Otherworlder is in exile, you may pay purple mana equal to its converted mana cost. If you do, cast it)

Next: Someone who's visited the Otherworld. Maybe they thought it was interesting, or creepy, or offputting... you decide!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

That is possibly one of the most exploitable cards I have seen, so far I am not liking the otherworlder ability, I do however like the idea from earlier that isolation could be purple so

Lonely shifter - 3P
    Creature - shifter - U
    Isolation
    Whenever ~ becomes the target of a spell or ability, exile ~ and return it to the battlefield
    "I walk in both this world and the other, just try to catch me"
    2/2

More purple isolation
    Last edited by braveheart; 2015-01-02 at 01:47 AM.
    The first rule of gaming, before you have even chosen the game is and always should be

HAVE FUN

(FUN being defined as it is in dwarf fortress)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by braveheart View Post
    Lonely shifter - 3P
    Creature - shifter - U
    Isolation
    Whenever ~ becomes the target of a spell or ability, exile ~ and return it to the battlefield
    "I walk in both this world and the other, just try to catch me"
    2/2
    Isolation + effective shroud. I'd be inclined to say as a 2/2 for 4 it is probably fine, but it can trigger ETB effects... whenever you target it which means it's just effectively heroic except it counters the spell that would have targetted it. So yeah it's fine.

More purple isolation
    What was the exact wording on Isolation ("This creature is unaffected by spells or effects which affect all, each, or every"?)
    Lost Krasis (U/G)P
    Creature - Fish Mutant U
    Isolation
    Evolve
    1/2
    "Specimen #104 passed through a strange rift. Twenty-six minutes later something came back... I think it had evolved." Simic biomancer on the time krasis project.

Challenge: Make something that does something neat with +1/+1 counters.
    Last edited by Zaydos; 2015-01-02 at 02:20 AM.

Current Projects:

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

I always liked simic, and I think that is a good card, by the way isolation was actually (spells and abilities that effect "each" or "all" do not effect this perminent)

I also like new abilities so let's try this on

Siphoning - GB
    Instant - C
    Target creature gets siphon (damage dealt by this creature may be negated to remove a number of +1/+1 counters from the creature that would be damaged less than or equal to the amount of damage that would be dealt, then place the same number of +1/+1 counters on the creature dealing the negated damage) until the end of turn
    Your power is mine

It's a bit wordy but the short is that siphon gives you the option to steal +1/+1 counters instead of dealing damage

Use siphon
    Last edited by braveheart; 2015-01-02 at 03:16 AM. Reason: Forgot the until end of turn part
    The first rule of gaming, before you have even chosen the game is and always should be

HAVE FUN

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Siphoning - GB
    Instant - C
    Target creature gets siphon (damage dealt by this creature may be negated to remove a number of +1/+1 counters from the creature that would be damaged less than or equal to the amount of damage that would be dealt, then place the same number of +1/+1 counters on the creature dealing the negated damage) until the end of turn
    Your power is mine

It's a bit wordy but the short is that siphon gives you the option to steal +1/+1 counters instead of dealing damage
    I'm trying to figure out a time you would use this except as some attempt to hose Simic if they became extremely prevalent. Even then Giant Growth, Doomblade, or many other cards will be more useful as most of the time this will not really be being used to kill but instead just remove tokens and weaken a target. It might pop up occasionally to get a few tokens on a creature that is being blocked, but unless it's an elusive krasis blocking you're unlikely to get more than +1/+1 or maybe +2/+2 and again there are better common, Green, 1 drops (I forget the name of the Innistrad one with morbid). It would work maybe on a first striker, or a creature which deals direct damage, but even then it's not worth the card slot. That's before you get into Siphon's wordiness, and complicated nature and interactions with rarity.

For something conceptually similar, but more widely applicable, and useful outside of rather specific meta you might want to think about the rather more powerful effect (which likely would never see print due to mixing -1/-1 and +1/+1 counters in a single card) of "This creature deals damage in the form of -1/-1 counters. Whenever this creature deals damage to another creature put that many +1/+1 counters on this creature."

Use siphon
    Darkplume Cultist 1BR
    Creature - Human Cleric U
    Siphon (damage dealt by this creature may be negated to remove a number of +1/+1 counters from the creature that would be damaged less than or equal to the amount of damage that would be dealt, then place the same number of +1/+1 counters on the creature dealing the negated damage)
    T: Deal 1 damage to target creature.
    1/1

Challenge: Make something Red. If it is dual colored add a guild keyword, if it has more than 2 colors it must have a guild keyword for each color combination of red and one of the other colors it has.

Current Projects:

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

I like it, but the ability could be worded better, I would do this:

Rakdos Skinflayer - RB
    Creature - Devil - U
    Unleash
    Siphon(If this creature would deal damage to a creature with one or more +1/+1 counters on it, prevent that damage, remove that many +1/+1 counters from that creature, then put that many +1/+1 counters on this creature.)
    2/2

It's still way too clunky. I wanted to make it only prevent damage equal to the number of counters but that would make it even more clunky.

Make something green with flying.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Still pretty clunky. And it would be killed by the creature that has the +1/+1 counters anyway, since it would still deal its full damage.

Rakk GG
    Creature - Beast U
    Flying
    When Rakk dies, put two 1/1 Green Beast creature tokens with flying onto the battlefield at the beginning of the next turn's upkeep.
    2/2

Challenge: Something based on Borderlands

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Hmm... compare Gather the Townsfolk, and then strap it to the tail end of a 2/2 flyer in its own right. I mean, it's probably not gonna be game-changing, but... ehh.

Border Land
    Land - R
    Border Land enters the battlefield tapped.
    Each land you control has each type among lands you control.

Seriously, though, I don't think that people are very likely to respond properly to a challenge that refers to something that most people don't know enough to answer about.

Next: As an example, I'm going to explain what my next challenge means in case anyone forgot.

Make an idol. An idol is an artifact (which is sometimes a creature or an equipment as well), and always has the idol subtype, almost always has an ability (usually costing two coloured mana and tapping) with "Energise each idol you control" and always has an ability triggered "When you energise ~".

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Interesting... makes heavy color weights much easier to deal with as long as you have basic lands. Probably balanced?

Idle Idol 3
    Artifact - Idol U
    T, 1UU - Energise each idol you control.
    When you energise ~, you may tap target permanent.

Challenge: Make a new keyword, and a card to go with it.
    Last edited by r2d2go; 2015-01-02 at 09:23 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by r2d2go View Post
    Idle Idol 3
    Artifact - Idol U
    T, 1UU - Energise each idol you control.
    When you energise ~, you may tap target permanent.
    The problem with idols is that to actually balance them at all you have to make them all at once (meaning that they'll only see use in one block at most) or standardize a minimum cost to energize them; the concept is neat but really belongs to a few tightly made horizontal cycles possibly with a WUBRG idol in a MR slot. Jorm's have been 2 mana to energize and ranged wildly in power. This would fit with a 2 mana energize cost better than most (tap creature is 1, T on creatures with it and tap permanent while stronger is not much stronger). That said even this becomes abuseable with several idols at a 2 energize cost (repeatable tapping is usually a 2 mana effect on its own).

Challenge: Make a new keyword, and a card to go with it.
    Too bad you said keyword and not ability word

Golden Idol B
    Artifact Creature - Construct C
    Usury (whenever an opponent casts a spell you may pay B, if you do gain 1 life).
    1/1

Challenge: Make an ability to represent a new multicolored faction such as a Ravnican guild or one of the Tarkir groups.

Current Projects:

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Spoiler: Ninja-sense, activate!
    Show
    Hmm... having the high-cost energise and not doing much other than tapping things puts it at the not-great end of the idol pool.

Keeper of the Peace 2PP
    Creature - Human wizard U
    2PT: Target creature gains Silenced until end of turn (Until end of turn, that creature doesn't have abilities except Silenced, and its auras and equipment don't affect it except for giving it Silence.)
    Your magic has no place in this world!
    1/3

So... a 1/1 which gives you bad kinda-extort? I would expect the getting life bit to be W, rather than B, but otherwise I guess that works.

Kasstar Peacekeeper 3UP
    Creature - Human Diplomat
    Other creatures get Silenced (They don't have abilities except Silenced, and its auras and equipment don't affect them except for giving them Silence.)
    Counter each spell unless its controller pays 1.
    Now, now, let's all take a moment to calm down here.
    - Viander, Kasstar Peacekeeper

Next: That was fun, so make one of the other purple guilds, or another Kasstar card.
    Last edited by Jormengand; 2015-01-02 at 10:12 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

That is a very powerful ability, I think the counter ability being added on makes it a bit too strong, also you forgot it's power and toughness as well as rarity I would pay that much for the silence and a 2/2 but when you add in the counters even if it were a 1/1 it might be too cheap now let's try this challenge

Waize striker 2RP
    Creature - shifter - U
    RP: Warpstrike(after blockers are declared you may activate Warpstrike. This creature is exiled then returned to the battlefield tapped and attacking an opponent)
    We can make it through any defense
    2/1

Make anything

HAVE FUN

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Re critique, remember it affects all your stuff too.

Nice, though you should say "After the declare blockers step you may pay RP. If you do, this creature is exiled, and returned to the battlefield tapped and attacking."

Gidai tracker 3PG
    Creature - Human ranger R
    Lock in - When Gidai tracker enters the battlefield, lock in target creature.
    2PGT: Search your library for a card that's a copy of the locked-in card and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
    3/3

Next: Make something for the WP or PB house, and a house special ability (keyword/keyword action).

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Lock in is interesting, I assume that it will have other uses besides just a tutor, and I wonder what they will be.
    Here we go

Lonely Outcast - BP
    Creature-human-C
    Isolation (spells and abilities which effect "all" or "each" do not effect this perminent)
    Outcast (perminants with outcast can not be exiled)
    Even among the outcasts of Zelb there are those who seek further isolation
    1/2

Alright let's finish these houses
    Last edited by braveheart; 2015-01-03 at 02:00 AM. Reason: Spelling

HAVE FUN

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

Outcast seems cool, although it might be confused with Outlast too easily.

Quijuk Paragon 3WP
    Creature - Human warrior R
    Paragon - Quijuk Seer is indestructible if it has the highest power among creatures you control.
    3/3

Next: Make another Quijuk (WP), Kasstar (UP), Waize (PR), Zelb (PB) or Gidai (PG).
    Last edited by Jormengand; 2015-01-03 at 02:09 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

It's nice, however what happens when there are two or more paragon creatures tied for the highest power?

Zelb decree - 3BPP
    Sorcery-M
    exile all creatures
    We were rejected now reality will reject you

I'm liking these houses let's keep to them make another card for the purple houses

HAVE FUN

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Ninja
    Show
    Quijuk Paragon 3WP
    Creature - Human warrior R
    Paragon - Quijuk Seer is indestructible if it has the highest power among creatures you control.
    3/3
    Paragon seems more of a Green ability than White. Otherwise it's fine, and it would be a good ability for the Green/Purple guild (where Lock-On would have been possibly a good one for UP).

Next: Make another Quijuk (WP), Kasstar (UP), Waize (PR), Zelb (PB) or Gidai (PG).

Quote Originally Posted by braveheart
    Zelb decree - 3BPP
    Sorcery-M
    exile all creatures
    This cannot see print as a mythic in a set with Outcast. Every Zelb deck will require a playset of these to make Outcast work and that will be the guild's one trick. Not so much a problem with this card as the Outcast ability, but as they're being made for the same house set dynamics between the two abilities must be considered.

I'm liking these houses let's keep to them make another card for the purple houses

Gidai Deshaper G/P
    Creature U
    Lock-in - When Gidai Deshaper enters the battlefield, lock in target artifact in a graveyard.
    Whenever a card with the same name as the locked-in artifact enters the battlefield exile it.
    1/1

Challenge: Create a card with strategically interactive ability which can be built around and create a playstyle (like Battalion, Unleash, Evolve, Detain, etc).
    Last edited by Zaydos; 2015-01-03 at 02:47 AM.

Current Projects:

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

It's nice, however what happens when there are two or more paragon creatures tied for the highest power?

Zelb decree - 3BPP
    Sorcery-M
    exile all creatures
    They're both paragons.

Ehh... compare Merciless Eviction. Definitely doesn't need to be M.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydos View Post
    Gidai Deshaper G/P
    Creature U
    Lock-in - When Gidai Deshaper enters the battlefield, lock in target artifact in a graveyard.
    Whenever a card with the same name as the locked-in artifact enters the battlefield exile it.
    1/1

Challenge: Create a card with strategically interactive ability which can be built around and create a playstyle (like Battalion, Unleash, Evolve, Detain, etc).
    Deshaper seems fine, yeah. Not much else to say.

Quijuk Acolyte 1WP
    Creature - Human wizard R
    1WPT, exile Quijuk Acolyte: Revivify target card. (Return a card in exile to your hand)
    1/2

Next: Make an instant or sorcery.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Response to critique: I totally agree after I look at it again, Zelb decks would want 4 of those and it really should be rare not mythic

I like it, I think that is an excellent way to bring back exiled cards

Waize warp Assault tactics- 4RP
    Instant-R
    Target creature gets (T):Warpstrike (after the declair blockers step you may activate Warpstrike, exile this creature then return it to the battlefield tapped and attacking)
    Target creature gets doublestrike
    I don't know where they came from, but we couldn't stop them

Make a BUG bug
    Last edited by braveheart; 2015-01-03 at 03:29 AM.

HAVE FUN

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

So... warpstrike is effectively a better unblockable. Of course, the way you've written this card it doesn't do what you want; if the creature leaves play and returns, it's a new object, so it doesn't have double strike. But that's okay, because it can also give double strike to a separate creature from the one it gives warpstrike, making this overall "Target creature gets unblockable/becomes unblocked and another target creature gets double strike until end of turn", which is simply ridiculously good. So no, I don't think so.

And thank goodness! A challenge that doesn't require me to make a gods-cursed purple card!

Spell-Eater Grave-Grub BUG
    Creature - Insect U
    Whenever Spell-Eater Grave-Grub attacks or blocks, you may pay X and exile that many instants or sorceries from your graveyard. For each instant or sorcery exiled in this way, Spell-Eater Grave-Grub gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
    3/3

EDIT: Sorry, forgot the challenge. Make a card whose art depicts something or someone stepping into a mirror.
    Last edited by Fortuna; 2015-01-03 at 03:34 AM.
    If I creep into your house in the dead of night and strangle you while you sleep, you probably messed up your grammar.

I'm always extremely careful to hedge myself against absolute statements.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

Ooh. Horrible if you can get it to be unblockable or trampling in an instant/sorcery based deck. The paying X is definitely necessary.

Odashir's Echo (UP)
    Enchantment R
    Suspend 3: 1UP
    Put a token that's a copy of target permanent onto the battlefield under your control.

(I know the original art isn't quite stepping into a mirror, but it was what I immediately thought of, so...)

Next: Another card from another game.
    Last edited by Jormengand; 2015-01-03 at 03:41 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Odashir's Echo (UP)
    Enchantment R
    Suspend 3: 1UP
    Put a token that's a copy of target permanent onto the battlefield under your control.

(I know the original art isn't quite stepping into a mirror, but it was what I immediately thought of, so...)
    Why is this an enchantment? It should probably be a Sorcery since it's one and off.

Next: Another card from another game.
    Trap Hole 1B
    Instant C
    Destroy the next creature with power 2 or greater that enters the battlefield this turn.
    Wait 2 isn't 1500!

Challenge: More BUG bugs!

Current Projects:

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

It's an enchantment because I changed my mind three times and forgot to change the type.

Anyway, isn't normal trap hole 1000? Bottomless is 1500 IIRC. Flavour text notwithstanding, I guess it works. Though taking out Progenitus might be a bit much.

Thoughtstealer Scarab BUG
    Creature - Insect U
    When Thoughtstealer scarab enters or leaves the battlefield, draw a card.
    1/1

Next: Make something Kasstar (UP).

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Thoughtstealer Scarab BUG
    Creature - Insect U
    When Thoughtstealer scarab enters or leaves the battlefield, draw a card.
    1/1
    With 3 colors might should be 2/2 or 1/2 (given that Black is now T > P and Blue is often as well). I mean Elvish Visionary gets you the entering for 1G, and while this is twice as good draw the color cost makes it more than twice as hard to play.

And it's been a long time since I played Yu-Gi-Oh, I forgot. Though I should have worded it as "Destroy target creature with power 2 or greater which entered the battlefield this turn" that way it doesn't destroy Prot Black.

Next: Make something Kasstar (UP).
    Kasstar Spy UP
    Creature - Human Rogue
    Shift (whenever ~ becomes the target of a spell or effect you may return it to your hand and put another creature with the same or less converted mana cost onto the battlefield which then becomes the target instead of ~)
    Unblockable
    1/1

Challenge: Mono-red Dragon.
    Last edited by Zaydos; 2015-01-03 at 04:30 AM.

Current Projects:

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

Hmm... I'm just slightly worried the ability is too complicated for a keyword.

Lord Ignacio 4RR
    Legendary creature - Human dragon knight MR
    Flying, haste
    If a source you control would deal non-combat damage, it deals twice as much damage instead.
    I've heard all the jokes. But tell me, how does it feel to know that just because some sorceress happened to have a thing for dragons, your army is now a mass of charred bones?
    4/4

Next: Create a card which draws cards in a clever way.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Infinite enter-the-battlefield triggers with two creatures with Shift and equal CMC. No.

Fifth-Peak Dragon 3RRR
    Creature - Dragon R
    Flying
    Whenever Fifth-Peak Dragon attacks, you may tap any number of untapped mountains you control. Deal X damage divided as you choose among any number of target creatures without flying, where X is the number of mountains tapped this way.
    5/4

Make a card whose art focuses on a constellation.
    If I creep into your house in the dead of night and strangle you while you sleep, you probably messed up your grammar.

I'm always extremely careful to hedge myself against absolute statements.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

You make a surprisingly good point, actually - Shockland into Champion of the Parish turn 1, city into Kasstar spy turn 2, mountain into shock turn 3. Find a way of getting Trample on your CotP while you're at it.

Anyway, dragon which sparks without paying cards gonna spark without paying cards. Given cost, attack requirement, and so forth, makes sense.

Blessing of Ophiuchus 3PP
    Legendary Enchantment MR
    Creatures you control have Judgement (If a creature they are fighting, blocking or blocked by dies, exile it). Creatures your opponents control have Silenced (They lose all abilities except silenced, and the effects of equipment and auras except granting Silenced).

Next: Make something Waize or Quijuk, or make the purple ally (UPR) or enemy (PWB) tribes. (I know Purple's enemy enemy enemy is really green, but the ones either side seem to work better.