New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Fireing into combat

Just curious how many people follow the cover rules when archers are fireing into combat.

-4 if something, including a creature, is between you and your target.
    -4 if the target is engaged in combat.

So if your behind your tank and fireing at his target you've got a massive -8 to hit.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Fireing into combat

Aside for it being +4 to AC for soft cover, and -4 to your attack for firing into melee, everyone does use that. You are supposed to get into good position to avoid soft cover, and take the feats that negate those penalties, if you are going to be a good archer.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Improved precise shot, that is how I fire into melee...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Point blank shot + standing right behind the guy helps too. The fighter is getting all that lovely flankatronic hit bonus and you're shooting the enemy in the back of the head for +1. Even nicer when dealing with the rogue. The poor enemy is asking himself, "Do I turn and get this archer off my butt and let the rogue snickersnack sneak attack me in the spine?"

Double awesome if you're an archer rogue () and the other flanker is a dagger/short sword etc rogue

God help me if you don't get sneak attack when flanking anymore. I've never been a rogue really.
    Last edited by ocato; 2007-03-31 at 03:48 PM.
    Being a jerk to people on the internet does not make you cool.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

You do get SA when flanking, but you cant flank with a bow, because ranged weapons dont threaten. So your whole scenario doesnt work.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh well, woulda been cool.
    Being a jerk to people on the internet does not make you cool.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

The Whisperknife (Row) gets Ranged Flank as a high level ability. Only works within 10 ft. of the enemy but still pretty cool.
    The Countess of Mispelling hath returned !__________________________________________________ _________Behold my magnetoresistance !
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingAScarab View Post
    This isn't just any drow. This is a drow who is willing to have a good-aligned flying snake come out of her body so she can then fart rainbows.
    Outer Sphere__________________________________________________ _______________Inkatar !__________________________________________________ _______________Starship

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Remember that only the person closest to the cover gets the bonus to AC, in this way, firing from behind crenalations (or out of arrow slits) provides the archer with cover but provides no bonus to the target. It workes the same way with people.

If you are the same distance from the "cover" than there is no bonus, so either clear a line of fire to the baddy up against the fighter, or stand directly behind your friend.
    Olethros –
    From chaos expect everything.

I know not anger, I know not fear, I know not sleep...
    I am a Research Jedi.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground

I actually ddn't realize that another character could be cover when trying to throw a dart at a skeleton one day (didn't have any stones handy to throw to be bludgening). Ended up missing due to cover, and since that cover was another character, it actually hit him in the leg.
    Luckily only did 1 point damage, but lesson was learned that day.
    Steve Weller
    www.ITOH.com for an online, Chat based D&D game.

:Belkar: I have an idea. It starts with "S" and ends with "litting their throats."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Olethros View Post
    Remember that only the person closest to the cover gets the bonus to AC, in this way, firing from behind crenalations (or out of arrow slits) provides the archer with cover but provides no bonus to the target. It workes the same way with people.

If you are the same distance from the "cover" than there is no bonus, so either clear a line of fire to the baddy up against the fighter, or stand directly behind your friend.
    While this is true for some things like, as you mentioned arrow slits, I don't think I've ever seen in the rules that creatures only provide cover to who ever is closer.

If there is an elephant standing 20 feet away from me it sure seems like that would still provide someone 100 further down.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Umarth View Post
    While this is true for some things like, as you mentioned arrow slits, I don't think I've ever seen in the rules that creatures only provide cover to who ever is closer.

If there is an elephant standing 20 feet away from me it sure seems like that would still provide someone 100 further down.

I agree completly with your logic, and would most likely impose a "situational" penalty on a player attempting to shoot over (or under) an elephant at a target. Also, I am suddenly unsure whch rule book mentioned the ruling on the proximity to cover.
    Olethros –
    From chaos expect everything.

I know not anger, I know not fear, I know not sleep...
    I am a Research Jedi.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Proximity to cover only applies to low cover PHB p151.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

I always preferred the 3.0 Cover Rules. The 3.5 ones are too bland. all the same, Cover often calls for a DM judgement call.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)