New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Quick Ioun Stone questions

I recall seeing a book somewhere that listed the price of a Dull Gray Ioun Stone. Can anyone help me find it?

Also I vaguely remember seeing a crown or headband that let you put Ioun stones in slots and get their full effect without having them orbit. I think this was a 3.0 thing but am not sure. If I could get an answer as to whether I'm nuts or not on ths item I'd appreciate it too.

Thanks All!

Aerlock
    Last edited by Aerlock; 2007-03-31 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Forgot to finish my post before I hit Enter.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: Quick Ioun Stone questions

The dull gray ioun stone was priced in 3.0, 25gp IIRC. It was removed from the table in 3.5, though you can still get them by burning out one of the spell absorbing ones.

I don't know about any "ioun crown", but there's an ioun blade in the Arms and Equipment Guide that can hold one stone.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Thanks! I found the price for the dull gray ioun stone in the 3.0 SRD. It was indeed 25gp.

I'm beginning to think that that crown I'm thinking of was possibly in a dragon magazine or some third party 3.0 book. I've been looking for that for a couple years now just so I can prove to myself I'm not nuts. :)

Aerlock

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Its also in the XPH, as psionic players can gain something from the stones.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ioun Stones are overpriced as slotless items. Compare them to another similar slotless item, the Stone of Good Luck. In comparism they have some glaring disadvantages.

1) They are gaudy to the extreme. They float around your head and scream "I'm an expensive magical item. My owner is a rich adventurer/troublemaker/etc. Please kill him and take me."

2) They can be easily snatched away or sundered.

Imho they should be priced as x 1,5 instead of x 2,0
    Last edited by Amiria; 2007-03-31 at 04:46 PM.
    The Countess of Mispelling hath returned !__________________________________________________ _________Behold my magnetoresistance !
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingAScarab View Post
    This isn't just any drow. This is a drow who is willing to have a good-aligned flying snake come out of her body so she can then fart rainbows.
    Outer Sphere__________________________________________________ _______________Inkatar !__________________________________________________ _______________Starship

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Do think a 20th level character could fly if he spent all his money on dull grey ioun stones, and stood on them.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

They'd orbit his head, not stay stationary under his feet, so no. All you'd accomplish with 760000 gp worth of them (25 gp each IIRC) would be to blind yourself and look very silly with a 6 feet wide globe of the things rotating around your head.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Cast Continual Flame on a dull gray Ioun stone, and you have a hands free light.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Once a DM I had in highschool made a liche whose phylacter was a dull gray ioun stone.