New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Necromancer IC

"Sounds like trouble" comments Thanat, groaning inside at the thought of what's coming next. "I guess it's time for us to move out, if we do not want our news to be meaningless..."
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

2. - Top - End - #242
    Banned

The horses are at the foot of the mesa. Safe, I hope. The gnolls are fast runners, and near tireless - but they cannot keep up with a good horse. And I picked good horses for us. She muses for a moment. Actually, I suspect Ranold has been waiting to discuss my selection with me ever since he had a chance to find out which ones I picked.

She motions to the camp - the gesture seeming to mean 'is there anything here you feel we absolutely need to pack'?

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

"Glad to hear that" comments Thanat with sincerity. "Take only what we need to get back. Let's not waste any more time".

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

4. - Top - End - #244
    Banned

Felidae grabs only the saddlebags - where the food is - and runs off to where you scaled the cliff. As you follow, you look over your shoulder. The gnolls are clearing their mesa at rather an alarming rate. And they are not climbing down or any such thing. You have no idea how they get up or down, but it's not climbing, that's for sure.

At the foot of the mesa, you find the horses. All is well, and you happen to be on the far side of where the gnolls are - and on the right side in relation to the town. You set off, as fast as possible.

Ordinarily, you'd never ride a horse hard, in the night, with no vision. But basically, you have no choice - the gnolls are fast, and you quite simply have to be faster.

Spoiler: Stuff
    Show

I'd like some checks - and any plans you may have. Or questions, if there's something I didn't cover.

First up: Ride check. You get a +2 for Felidae assisting you.
    Second: Constitution check. No dc - but the longer you're capable of pushing on, the better.

That should do for now.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    No questions at the moment, no plans save for getting back asap.
    Ride - (1d20+3)[5], Con - (1d20+2)[16]

Edit: aaaand... not a rider. Dratz.
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2015-03-17 at 04:37 PM.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

6. - Top - End - #246
    Banned

Spoiler: Are you sure ....
    Show

.... you do nothing else? Like, for instance, cast light spells for whenever the terrain is the roughest or similar?

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Yes, that would be sensible, even if it's only for 20 min.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

8. - Top - End - #248
    Banned

Show

Yes, but you can cast several. Like, I dunno, 3? Without checking I'm not really sure.

Night riding is fun and full of excitement. So fun and exciting that at one point you come upon a small brook among the tall grass that you had no chance of seeing in advance. Your horse stumbles, and you are thrown from the saddle. Luckily, Felidae had asked for light already - sensing a change in the terrain. In the glow from your spell, you have just an instant to realise a jagged, broken old spear has lodged in the ground here (for reasons unknown). You barely manage to roll aside, rather than be impaled.

The fall is still anything but pleasant, but luckily the horse seems to be fine, and you're able to remount (if in a slightly wobbly manner) and ride on.

Show

You take three points of damage from the fall. If you like, you can look around - or you can take the broken spear, if you desire. Otherwise ... you reach town in the morning of the second day of travel. The gnolls will be something like 12 hours behind, provided they travel all out, and attack immediately. These things are conjecture of course, you have no way of knowing for sure until you see them.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    I can, but only if I take no less than 15 minutes to prepare. Which I should, I guess.

Thanat looks around the broken speak, more to regain his composure than anything. Getting impaled by accident is a bad way to go... and then they are off. They travel as fast as they dare, knowing that being reckless if not counterproductive.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

10. - Top - End - #250
    Banned

Show

Cantrips are not prepared and memorized. They are like snap-your-fingers magic. You just do that.

The rules may state differently - but blech.

There was a battle here - long ago. The spear was clearly meant for use from horseback, and just as clearly of human make. The reason why it's positioned so dangerously is because it's still in the ribcage of the gnoll it was used to kill.

But the spear tip is bronze. This was a long time ago - long before Mountainshade was founded. You wonder just how long this has been going on, back and forth.

It's still a long ride back to town, but you manage it. From time to time you spy a buzzard, over your shoulder and high in the sky. It's not always there - but every once in a while, it's up there.

It's a relief when you finally spot fields around you, and see the town walls in the distance. As you approach, a bell is rung, and when you reach the gate, Ranold is already there, awaiting your report.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Nice to know. I agree with your vision. In PF they made them at will, to give something extra to do to low-level characters...

Thanat rides directly to Ranold and is all down to business: "Send out word that a massive Knoll attack is imminent. We'll be ready with the details when you are done".

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

12. - Top - End - #252
    Banned

We need the details to get ready. How massive an attack? Did you find out anything about the leadership? Do you know anything about their force composition? Do you know how well provisioned they are? Do you think they can siege the walls - or will they have to assault them? Ranold is full of questions, and not in a mood to wait for answers.

He does however immediately order a few militiamen to get to work: Assemble the troops, man the walls, fetch the alchemist, heat the oil, bring the civilians to safety ... orders roll out of him with the speed of a hardened veteran who has been doing this for years on end.

At the end of it, he turns to Felidae.

Did you, by the way, happen to take my horse, and that of lieutenant Efrem? We'll have a ... a chat about that, if we happen to survive this.

Felidae looks guilty and crestfallen - but in a unguarded moment winks at Thanat.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

"She did, and she did well: every second we gained over the approaching army might save a life" says Thanat, defending his traveling companion. "As we speak, hundreds of gnolls are marching toward the town. They are led by three men, at least one of which is a druid; possibly all three of them are. They travel with some sort of large wooden creature that we were unable to identify, but which might pose a problem on the battlefield and double as a siege weapon; this is a conjecture of mine, mind you. As for provisions, I cannot say. Druids are known to be excellent foragers in the wild, but I can hardly picture a knoll army of that size organizing a siege." He turns to Felidae: "What is your opinion on the matter? Did I miss anything of note?"

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

14. - Top - End - #254
    Banned

Oh. Er. She's clearly surprised anyone is asking her opinion, there was one druid with a wolf, likely one with a bird, and maybe a third with the tree-thingy. I don't know much about druids really.

They had some way onto and off the mesa where their camp was. Fast-like.

That druid set up an ambush for us. Can you believe it? The gall!

What's even more weird was that he also helped us.

I think that's all.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

"Indeed" confirms Thanat. "If they can climb up walls the way they climbed down those mesas, the town might be in big trouble".

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

16. - Top - End - #256
    Banned

As furious preparations pick up speed around time, a number of people show up. Vardryn, the alchemist, shows up with two porters in tow, each carrying bags and boxes of .. stuff. A moment later, a dark-skinned, very muscular man with long braided hair, a fierce beard and several swords distributed about his person shows up - with a young elf in tow. The dark skinned man would be Efrem. The young elf is not known to you.

Ranold. The militia are all but assembled - though outriders are still out, we don't know how many know a fight is coming yet. Which is bad, cause we need our cavalry.

By the way, this young man was caught cheating on the table. I volunteered him, cause he wont be any good in jail. Got a job we can push on him?

17. - Top - End - #257
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

The Elf shifts his weight back and forth across his feet, awaiting a command. I'm more than happy to take all their money in poker, whoever they are. Is this the kind of situation we're in? He smiles at his own joke, before nodding at Thanat and Felidae. You look quite worried. How much trouble are we in?
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger
    gnome"Toss me"
    goliath"wut"
    gnome"I don't have any ranks in jump, you'll have to toss me"
    goliath"lolk"
    gnome"KNIFE EYE ATTAAAAAAACK!"
    PbP games I'm in or DMing for:

Ivellios in 'The Necromancer!'

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanat shoots the young elf an appraising look. A scoundrel if I've ever seen one - he thinks - He might possess the skills I need...

"I'll take the young man under my care for the battle: I'm sure i can find something useful to him to do." he says to Ranold. "He'll have the chance to prove his worth". He gestures for him to come near, then says in a lower voice: "This town is in big trouble, kid, but if you stick with us and do your part you might end up walking away free and, more importantly, alive."

Back to Ranold: "So, what do you need us for the most right now?"

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

19. - Top - End - #259
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

I appreciate your concern, but I'll do fine on my own. If you won't miss me, I don't think I'll hang around for long. I say quietly before Thanat speaks to Ranold.
    gnome"Toss me"
    goliath"wut"
    goliath"lolk"

20. - Top - End - #260
    Banned

Ranold, along with Efrem, hands out orders. The basic plan for defense is just that - basic. Man the walls, get as many archers up there as possible. Prep the fields with traps, load the towns two small catapults with greek fire the alchemist has brought.

Hope for the cavalry to flank the main gnoll force and save the day.

But the town has less than a hundred trained militia - plus about twice as many random armed civilians. There are hundreds of gnolls, and they are larger, stronger, better armed. It is not an even fight.

Look, you are propably not worth putting on the walls. I bet you're as capable a fighter as the cobbler or the blacksmith - but I'm quite sure you can do better in some other way. Don't wait for me to tell you what to do. I tell the men on the walls what to do.

You figure out a plan that fits your abilities. What do I know, decapitation attack maybe? Some sort of flanking move? Rain green fire from the skies. But you'll have to be what turns this battle, one way or another.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Ivellios whispers into Felidae's Ear.
    And we haven't run because...
    gnome"Toss me"
    goliath"wut"
    goliath"lolk"

22. - Top - End - #262
    Banned

Because we live here? Also, we're not cowards? Gnolls are. They want plunder and slaves, not a real fight. If enough of them bite it - the rest will run.

Oh, and also the gnolls are legendary runners, and we'd never outrun them.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Ivellios sighs in exasperation
    We're all utterly, completely dead, aren't we?
    gnome"Toss me"
    goliath"wut"
    goliath"lolk"

24. - Top - End - #264
    Banned

Nah, we'll be fine. Alastor is going to finally rain green fire from the skies, and burn the gnolls to cinders. No problem!

You should have seen him in that ambush by the mesas.

Come to think of it, maybe you shouldn't. But we killed a dozen gnolls, the two of us.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Tell you what... Ivellios says, as quietly as he can, but not enough to avoid Thanat's ears. I'm going to slip out of here as soon as I can. Keep quiet, and this thing's yours.

Ivellios draws a rather large, weighty ruby from within his jacket and discreetly shows it to Felidae.
    Last edited by Atsull; 2015-04-04 at 08:50 PM.
    gnome"Toss me"
    goliath"wut"
    goliath"lolk"

26. - Top - End - #266
    Banned

Did you know gnolls are pretty much like ravens - regarding shiny things? I honestly bet you could get them figthing each other over that thing.

But if you want to run, I'm not going to stop you. I just can't. This is my home.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

"Ok, we'll figure something out" says Thanat to Ranold. What's with the locals and green fire from the skies, he wonders...

He leads his small group to the side, thinking hard about their next move, but he can't help but overhear the conversation between the young elf and Felidae.

"Oh, come on, kid!" he snaps "You can keep on looking out for number one if you wish, but did you ever stop and ask yourself why? What do you have to do with your life, that you are so concerned with preserving? What marvelous talents do you bring to the world, that would be so diminished by your demise?"
    He ends the rebuke with a scoff, thinking about his own situation. He does have something else to do with his life, somewhere else to be. Why am I even sticking around?
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2015-04-05 at 04:02 AM.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

28. - Top - End - #268
    Banned

Ranold looks up when Alastor speaks, and gives his own input.

We need colonies like Mountainshade to work, to prosper. Because the population of Madripor is growing, and we need ... supplies. More farms, more materials. If we cannot win oyt here, there will be starvation elsewhere.

Also, these are our homes. And we can't run, cause I've no doubt the gnolls will have much more fun slaughtering us outside the walls than inside. They are faster than us, except for those few who have horses.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Ivellios stands still for a moment, thinking hard about what Thanat has said, but springs back and puts on a smile. So we're not running. Ivellios speculates his outcomes. Could we bribe 'em with this thing?
    gnome"Toss me"
    goliath"wut"
    goliath"lolk"

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'd wager they would be more likely to gut you and take it from your corpse with a laugh..." comments Thanat gloomly.
    "The problem is that we do not know what is the driving force behind this attack, though th ethree druids are likely involved. If we were to find out something more specific, perhaps we would be able to stop the assault before it even begins... With that in mind, our next logical step must be to go back out there and investigate."

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika