New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Protection from Energy Vs Resist Energy

I get that one absorbs all damage up to a limit from a single enery source and one removes the first 10(or more) points of damage from each application of the energy source.

My question is, In the spell discription of protection from energy, it says you are protected from a source of energy you "specify when you cast it," where resist energy simply says a source of energy "you select." Does this mean that you must specify the type of energy resisted when the spell is memorized/prepaired/etc? What about wand/scroll casting? Does a wizard need to create seperate scrolls for each energy type if he wants to be ready for anything?
    Olethros –
    From chaos expect everything.

I know not anger, I know not fear, I know not sleep...
    I am a Research Jedi.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Protection from Energy Vs Resist Energy

- With both spells, you normally select the energy type at casting.
    - With a potion, the type is selected by the brewer ("The character taking the potion doesn’t get to make any decisions about the effect —the caster who brewed the potion has already done so." -- SRD under Potions; note that resist energy is listed as "resist energy (type)" in the potions list)
    - With a scroll, the type can be chosen at activation time (I base this on the lack of "(type)" restrictor in the scroll list, and the lack of an equivalent sentence to that in the potions section.)
    - I'd guess that the same is true of wands (though a wand of resist energy isn't listed...)
    Spoiler
    Show

Gareth the human Transmuter
    Ajax the human Seer
    Grimshander the artic gnome Sorcerer
    Ulfgar the dwarven Cleric
    Froben the gnomish Rogue/Illusionist
    Granger the human Ranger
    and DMing Diabolical Urban Intrigue in Bristol
    and refereeing Wizard vs. Fighter: Arena Grudgematch

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: Protection from Energy Vs Resist Energy

In the case of a scroll, it is cast (I beleive) as if you had cast the spell yourself. I'm not sure on wands, but with potions you need to spell out every effect it will have, so there you would need to pick the energy type.
    Edit: Anyone know whats plagueing these parts? The town I left behind's been ninja'd to the ground.
    Last edited by Hamster_Ninja; 2007-03-31 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Simu-Ninjas
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    "Nonono. You are misinterpreting Favoured Enemy: Goblinoid. You don't just add that against every goblin you meet. That would be silly. You must have met that goblin personally in the past, and he must have done something to antagonize you...
    I mean, otherwise, he wouldn't be your enemy. It would just be racism."
    Obey the call of Narf!
    Hamster Ninja, Royal Gladiator of Narf
    "What, I always thought Dorothy was a nice name."