New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Good examples of low-Wis characters in fiction

Edward Elric is a good example of a high-Int, low-Wis character: he has a strong but easily manipulated moral center and can be fooled really easily into thinking he's doing the right thing. The entire FMA series is about him increasing his Wis score.

Darth Vader has Wis as his dump stat. He has high everything else, but his judgement is poor and the high-Int high-Wis high-Cha Palpatine can play him with no effort at all.
    " Welcome, Nerevar. Together we shall speak for the Law and the Land, and shall drive the mongrel dogs of the Empire from Morrowind. "

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Good examples of low-Wis characters in fiction

Ahem.

"Joxer the Mighty
    roams through the countryside,
    he never needs a place to hide.
    With Gabby as his sidekick,
    fighting with her little stick.
    Righting wrongs and singing songs.
    Being mighty all day long.
    He's Joxer! He's Joxer the Mighty!"

He might have had a bad intelligence score as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

That depends entirely how one believes ability scores control personality and dictate ability. As long as the mechanical results of the character's dice rolls can be explained with a reasonable degree of consistency, I don't personally care how someone roleplays a particular ability score. To my knowledge, there's no rule that covers every eventuality of how good someone's judgment is, so even a high-Wisdom character could exhibit bad judgment. But if there are rolls involved, then there should be an explanation of why a character played as very wise has a little trouble passing Wisdom-based checks. But coming up with such an explanation really isn't that hard. In Vader's case, his need for control makes it easy to turn him into the puppet of a tyrant, but that doesn't mean he's not otherwise just as savvy as everyone else.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

?

High Int Low Wis probably.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

MonkGuy

The Doctor is maybe the best example. Sure his Intelligence is 100, but he sure does not use it.

Doc Brown from Back the the Future.

Thor is often written this way, as is the Hulk, but not all the time.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

The cast of the Walking Dead except for Carol, Daryl, and Michonne.

Horror movie teenagers

The alleged "comic relief" sidekick of the Action Movie Hero

Dudley Do-Right, Bullwinkle
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Marv of Sin City would probably be a good fit.
    Order of the Stick Avatar done by the talented Kymme.

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    The Half-Hamster template gives me advantageous size and ability score bonuses, and combos well with my inherited Elderberry Radiance (Ex). Which is more than I can say for you, you class-dipping CL-losing Evoker!
    I was eating THOSE BEANS!!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

That depends on what aspect of Wisdom you're talking about. Remember that it's the basis for all perception rolls.

Lois Lane has the worst Spot check in the world. ("They're just glasses. Behind them, it's Superman, the man you love, working next to you every day.")

9. - Top - End - #9

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    Lois Lane has the worst Spot check in the world. ("They're just glasses. Behind them, it's Superman, the man you love, working next to you every day.")
    To be fair, Lois does have an halfway decent Spot check, it's just that Superman cranked up his Bluff and Disguise skills to the max.

10. - Top - End - #10

Griffon

-Syndrome from the Incredibles
    -The Brain, from Pinky & the Brain
    -Wile E. Coyote, Elmer Fudd
    -Eric Cartman
    -Romeo and Juliet - the titular characters, and much of the cast besides. Actually, many Shakespeare characters are unwise, since he wrote quite a few tragedies.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

Boromir, of The Lord of the Rings. He's told by some of the most knowledgeable people in the world, people who have personal experience dealing with the Ring and the corruption of the Shadow, that its power cannot be used without turning the bearer to evil, yet still decides that it's something he should attempt, with disastrous results. Even if you blame his mistakes on external magical influence from the Ring itself, he was still the only one of the fellowship who was manipulated that way, indicating he probably doesn't have the best Will save bonus (which is, of course, based on Wisdom).

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Elan. It is directly stated in the comic that he doesn't even have 'a smidgen' of wisdom. I think that counts as 'below average'.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Consider Saruman. He knows Gandalf will never side with him, and Gandalf himself reinforces that message quite emphatically, but he still insists on imprisoning him in the open air, atop an eminently-escapable tower.

Fenthick in Neverwinter Nights. Despite being a distinguished cleric, he's completely oblivious to what literally everyone else, including the rookie adventurer who's only met him a handful of times, can see, viz that Desther is an evil git. (I hate it when characters who are supposed to be extraordinarily wise are the last ones to see the huge honking menace right under their nose. The same goes for Yoda, who has no idea Palpatine is a bad guy until it's too late despite numerous honking great clues, and Durkon in OOTS, who critically fails his Sense Motive on Malack.)

A more difficult question would be "are there any literary villains who don't have WIS as a dump stat? Seeing how the plot invariably requires them to overlook, often to the point of wilful blindness, something absolutely central to their plans..."
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

14. - Top - End - #14

Oh, another one--Kamina, from Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. I'm pretty sure a lot of people would give him low Intelligence, but I don't really think that's fair; he's shown to be a competent strategist, and does come up with a lot of creative ideas. He just has no sense of self-preservation or the limits of his own abilities.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Well, there's Raskolnikov from Crime and Punishment which is perhaps the best example I could give.

For a fantasy example, there's Harry Dresden, who rarely sees the forest through the trees.

16. - Top - End - #16

Daffy Duck: In most of his incarnations he's pretty much oblivious to anything that doesn't immediately advance his goals. He's slick and manipulative, but easily duped.

Frasier Crane: He's obviously intelligent and well spoken, but never learns from his mistakes and is way too engrossed in himself to pick up on even the most obvious signals from the people around him. His brother might even be a better example.

The Tick: Just...everything he does. Only made worse by his low intelligence.

Pretty Much Everyone Ever Played By Don Adams: They'd pretty much all try to dig a waffle out of the toaster with a fork if nobody stopped them.

Quote Originally Posted by roko10 View Post
    To be fair, Lois does have an halfway decent Spot check, it's just that Superman cranked up his Bluff and Disguise skills to the max.
    Yes, he's the Lord Bearington of DC comics

Quote Originally Posted by Winter_Wolf View Post
    At least we can say Kid Jake has style. And possibly is insane.
    My Campaign Journals

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    For a fantasy example, there's Harry Dresden, who rarely sees the forest through the trees.
    I think Harry actually has fairly good Wisdom, as evidenced by having enough self-awareness and willpower to have resisted corruption by dark magical influences many times. Plus, he's normally pretty good at reading people and judging character. Not that I think he has an 18 or anything, but I'd put him solidly in the 12-13 range.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Almost any scientist portrayed in fiction.

Exception: Jeff Goldblum's character in Jurassic Park

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    Frasier Crane: He's obviously intelligent and well spoken, but never learns from his mistakes and is way too engrossed in himself to pick up on even the most obvious signals from the people around him. His brother might even be a better example.
    Good one. But Niles, at least, does learn from his mistakes, to the point where he ends up winning the girl. (Which for me is where the series jumped the shark anyway... the tension between Niles and Daphne, and of course Maris, was the number one source of funny, and once that got resolved it became distinctly meh.)
    Last edited by veti; 2015-01-07 at 05:53 PM.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    Fenthick in Neverwinter Nights. Despite being a distinguished cleric, he's completely oblivious to what literally everyone else, including the rookie adventurer who's only met him a handful of times, can see, viz that Desther is an evil git.
    He even has an evil character portrait! And bad things happen to you when you ask for Helm's Blessing. I also want to nominate his girlfriend, the only paladin in existence who thinks that finger-waving and telling people they are naughty will somehow stop them from murdering an entire city after they've already stabbed a few people. Maybe you should stop...Healing them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

any shonen protagonist. any counterexamples are exceptions that prove the rule.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Keen Intellect(INT to will) and Force of Personality(CHA to will) could be used to bump up will saves while having a low WIS, so Harry Dresden could be low wis.

Ummmmm... Pagan Min from Far Cry 4 has pretty poor judgment if you think about it. Many of the main characters in the Redwall Series could have pretty low WIS. That's all I can think of right now.
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla View Post
    I always thought understanding Scottish required a fort save vs. Alcohol poisoning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twelve.five
    Hipsterdin- Smiting Heathens before it was cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla
    See, this wouldn't happen if you were a Zweihander Sentinel Warder with Silver Crane. You'd have a 60 ft. fly speed with good maneuverability, DR and glowing pants as early as level 8.

Pink is Neutral Evil, because reasons.

Exalted Monk Avatar by ThePrez1776

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Sheldon Cooper.

Are we done yet?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Every single villain who decides to gloat instead of just shooting/stabbing the hero they captured.

Jokes aside, the 'megalomania' personality is pretty much indicative of low Wis (and often comes with high Int and sometimes Cha). This is pretty much the key defining trait of a Mad Scientist.

(So yeah, nearly all the characters in Girl Genius. Minions included since you have to have low Wis to work with them as well).

Other archetypes with low Wis include the oblivious-to-love rom-com protagonist who might as well be denser than neutronium and the by-the-book-bookish know-it-all with zero street smarts

As for Vader, well, one might make the argument that he's not necessarily low Wis in the original trilogy, but Anakin is pretty much a textbook example of low Wis in the prequel trilogy from the Clones onwards.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    GitP: The only place where D&D and Cantorian Set Theory combine. Also a place of madness, and small fairy cakes.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by IZ42 View Post
    Keen Intellect(INT to will) and Force of Personality(CHA to will) could be used to bump up will saves while having a low WIS, so Harry Dresden could be low wis.
    It's possible, but I don't think all the resisting he does is through Will saves alone. Some of it, like
    Spoiler
    Show
    reforming the fragment of Lasciel,

he manages because he has the good judgment to realize it's a possibility and attempt it when most people would give up even trying. And in many more cases, he's able to resist corruption by carefully sorting out his own emotions and reactions from those of external influences and focusing on ignoring the latter group (though I guess that could be Will saves, and is actually the best argument for Will saves being based on Wisdom that I can remember hearing). Plus, he's very self-aware about his own fallibility and never assumes he can avoid being turned or making bad decisions.

Anyway, this is going a little off-track, so I'll shut up about it after this
    Last edited by Amaril; 2015-01-07 at 11:48 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Low intelligence is not being able to figure something out.
    Low wisdom is making very bad judgements.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Matrim "Mat" Cauthon from the Wheel of Time.
    Intelligent, incredibly lucky and extremely poor decision making.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Cugel the "clever". The guy can't cross a village without coming up with an elaborate scam to profit from it, and most of the times it fails because people are not all blind/deaf/stupid.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

29. - Top - End - #29

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Amaril View Post
    ...he's able to resist corruption by carefully sorting out his own emotions and reactions from those of external influences and focusing on ignoring the latter group (though I guess that could be Will saves, and is actually the best argument for Will saves being based on Wisdom that I can remember hearing). Plus, he's very self-aware about his own fallibility and never assumes he can avoid being turned or making bad decisions.
    Charisma is basically defined as your sense of self and how strongly it interacts with your surroundings. This is actually a good argument that he has the Force of Personality feat (use CHA modifier in place of WIS modifier on Will saves).
    Last edited by illyahr; 2015-01-08 at 01:10 PM.
    See my Extended Signature for my list of silly shenanigans.

Anyone is welcome to use or critique my 3.5 Fighter homebrew: The Vanguard.

I am a Dungeon Master for Hire that creates custom content for people and programs d20 content for the HeroLab character system. Please donate to my Patreon and visit the HeroLab forums.

30. - Top - End - #30

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Amaril View Post
    Oh, another one--Kamina, from Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. I'm pretty sure a lot of people would give him low Intelligence, but I don't really think that's fair; he's shown to be a competent strategist, and does come up with a lot of creative ideas. He just has no sense of self-preservation or the limits of his own abilities.
    He doesn't need high Wis. He has a special prestige class that lets him add his Cha to everything