A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default [D&D 4e] IC - The Pearl of Time - combat oriented adventure

Link to the OOC thread.

As each of you enters a tavern or an inn on your own, you realize that the place you're in is special.
    In fact, it isn't special at all, in a way that makes it special : there isn't anything specific from the region you are in, and even if it looks like any random tavern, it seems to try too much to hide the fact that there are weird people here.

In a matter of seconds, though, it doesn't seem to matter anymore. Any chatter ceases, and nearly everyone in the tavern disappear, leaving only a faint cloud of smoke behind.

Only 6 persons remain, including yourself.

The dwarven bartender quickly shouts : "The world needs your help ! We don't have much time, so I'll try to be quick. You know the stories : ancient artifact, great power, dangerous threats, creature-infested dungeon, group of adventurers. It's all real, and guess what, you're the group of adventurers, this time."

After a pause to catch his breath, he continues : "I am a member of an group of Time Watchers. An old traitor from our ranks created an artifact that can stop time in the plane it is in, provided a sufficient knowledge of how to make it work. We caught him a long time ago, but he hid this artifact, the Pearl of Time."

"Somebody apparently became aware that this artifact exists and sent people after it. We sent scouts for it when we found out it is hidden in a series of pocket dimensions large enough to contain a dungeon. Time flows slowly in those, so we must hurry as long as you aren't there : Someone must have sold an access to the planes already."

"You have been select by our Sear, who told us you would be sane enough not to betray each other nor to try to use the Artifact, should you success in your quest to find it. If you have no question, I suggest that you go back through the same door that brought you here, it will send you to the first pocket dimension."
    Last edited by TomPliss; 2015-01-09 at 03:33 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: [D&D 4e] IC - The Pearl of Time - combat oriented adventure

Leechius
    Teifling Warlock

Never caring to have his path decided for him, Leechius, feels the all too familiar build of rage growing. However, considering this a chance to light something or someone on fire, it could be a great way release some of it and just maybe grow his power along the way.

However, Leechius didnít make this far by rushing headlong into danger.

Leechius starts standing up from his chair. "You know that cute barmaid just handed me this ale, and I was just hoping to try and relax. I think we would have time as well, since if time is slower in there than out here, those we pursue cannot get to far ahead of us, while you take a few questions, yes?" A wiry grin curls around his left lip that appears more menacing, than joyful.

"First, whatís in it for us? And second, can you give us any details, from your scouts, about the trials ahead?"
    Spoiler: What am I?
    Show
    My Games
    Demon Lord-Mepudon 4e:
    Recruitment;OOC;IC
    Dark Secrets of Havengul 4e:
    OOC; IC

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

The Pearl of Time eh? A likely story, Gregoras mused. Oh sure all the facts seemed to line up. People had disappeared out of thin air. All the names were names that... okay he didn't know them, but they sounded existent. It all added up, except for one small thing... the bar maids had disappeared. Everyone knew that barmaids were immune to teleportation. It was one of the perks for being initiated into the Secret Society of Snooping Servants. As such, the barmaid had to be in on it... and if the SSSS were involved, it couldn't nearly be as simple as a chronological threat to creation having them be forced to rush into adventuring. S4 didn't play that way.

Let's see... if S4 were involved, then this had to really be a plot by the Ministry of Maniacal and Menacing Minions. While the S4 was hardly benevolent, the M4 was much worst. If the M4 were involved that meant... it had to be a ploy to gain access to some sort of magical artifact to forward their cheese based agenda. But what sort of artifact could they... of course! They intended to bring their curdling equipment into the slow time plane! With the extra time to curdle their dairy based creations, they could create an army of cheese golems in merely a fraction of the time! They had to be stopped!

"Don't worry, we'll stop this vile dairy incursion before it can even begin! Right, Professor Quakers Ducksire the Third?" Gregoras paused for a few moments. "Quakers says yes."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

A rather large, thick-furred dog in the corner seems to grow bored of ganwing on the bone in its mouth as it heads towards the bar. One quick blur of motion later, the dog becomes a women leaning back in a stool, using a funny-looking blade to pick her teeth. She thinks over this deal for a little with a bit of a smile. Things on this kinda scale are usually a bit above her normal grade, but that probably means the reward should be as well.

"Just point me in the right direction. Need a hurry, you wont get much faster moving than I."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The dwarf seems a bit puzzled by your answers.

"Well, at least, I have a few positive answers. The time is thousands times slower in the pocket dimensions than here, not the other way around. Hours are lost each time we talk, here.
    About that, open the door and you will see big circle or stone. You have to push the 4 buttons at the same time to activate it, before you can go through. It should take a few seconds so you should do it sooner rather than later..."
    Last edited by TomPliss; 2015-01-12 at 12:52 AM.
    Playing Gregoric "Dragonborn" Khuzir, the Silver Winged Magus in [PF] Killer Dungeon: Borealum (IC / OOC)
    GMing [D&D 4e] The Pearl of Time, a combat oriented adventure (IC / OOC)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

"I still believe your science is all wrong, dwarf, but I don't like wasting my time with such meaningless debates." Leechius follows with a smug look. "Nor do I care anymore to bother with the details" He disappears in a burst of fire, reappearing again out of large single flame, concealing his appearance for just a moment, by the door. "Are we ready now?" A stern look of impatience crosses his face.
    Show
    My Games
    Demon Lord-Mepudon 4e:
    Recruitment;OOC;IC
    OOC; IC

7. - Top - End - #7

RedKnightGirl

"The longer we wait, the longer our our enemies have time to prepare! Let's go before they prepare any culinary counter measures," Gregoras agreed.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hey, let the dwarf speak! He probably knows more than we do.", says the iron-clad deva sitting in the corner trying to look unsuspicious: it's probably not working.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    The Joker is supposed to be a nightmarish figure, the culmination of all things despicable and horrible about mankind. Of course he's a hipster.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

"Open the door and press the buttons, then. Our sensors indicate that there might be up to a few dozen portals between here and the Pearl Of Time. The scouts reported many traps and monsters, even in the first plane, so be prepared to face them. The portal should bring you somewhere safe, and will send you with your usual equipment, as well as an extra backpack with some special items for this mission. Now, if you have any question left, I will answer them while the first portal activates."
    Playing Gregoric "Dragonborn" Khuzir, the Silver Winged Magus in [PF] Killer Dungeon: Borealum (IC / OOC)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Quickly snapping a snarl over at the Deva who challeneged him, "..." after a short pause a sarcastic glee comes over Leechius's face he turns towards the dwarf, "Hey some fricken answers finnaly! Shame they lack real details, but there is always so little to truly hope for."

Scanning across the room to his would be companians he grumbles to himself, 'My god I'm going to be annoyed.' Wanting nothing more than to light a face on fire, or be left alone Leechus barks, "Long enough chat here, let's move!" And he heads out the door.
    Last edited by rafet; 2015-01-12 at 01:12 PM.
    Show
    My Games
    Demon Lord-Mepudon 4e:
    Recruitment;OOC;IC
    OOC; IC

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Leodor Wildroot
    Elf Druid

In one of the dark corners of the tavern, an elven stranger finishes his cup of wine. His mind was elsewhere, thinking about his destroyed homeland. He noticed that most of the people in the tavern have vanished, and listened to what the dwarven bartender had to say. He stayed in his seat until the tiefling barked an order to get moving. He wondered why the Time Watchers would choose them to retrieve the Pearl of Time. Surely there would've been somebody more capable of accomplishing the quest than the odd bunch that didn't disappear from the tavern.

"Very well." Leodor spoke up, getting up from his seat.
    "I'll come along as well, even though I question the tiefling's leadership."

With that said, Leodor makes his way to the door.

12. - Top - End - #12

RedKnightGirl

"Now now, tieflings make fine leaders by nature," Gregoras remarked, following the others. "They actually built the first friendship in the early second century. Of course back then the term was labelled after Sir Isaac Litigus Friend, and it was actually a battle cruiser the size of a continent. Since they were away from shore for months at a time, more than any other ship of the age, the people on board bonded famously. Hence friendship became the vernacular for a close companionship with another. Unfortunately the shop was eventually sunk by narwhals." He sighed. "A tragedy only a narwhal would have the evil heart to commit."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

"That is the most absurd thing I've ever heard." Leodor says in Elven.
    "I know humans can commit heartless acts, but I didn't know they can talk mindless gibberish as well." He says in elven again before storming out of the tavern.

"And to believe they called me wild." Leodor muttered under his breath in common as he followed the tiefling.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Behind the door, the adventurers see a vertical circle of black stone, 6'5" high (2m). In its center is a vortex, looking like a lake of shady water, magically held not to flood the inn.

As the door is opened, the dwarf announce, apparently proud of it : "This is the portal that will lead you in the first pocket universe. Please step in. I wish you good luck."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

Alejandro twirls his staff in a salute and snaps his visor in place. He makes a few divine passes on his breastplate and then hurtles through the portal with the others.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

"Whelp, no time like the present". Another blur of motion, and women is again wolf, leaping through the portal.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Ignoring the leadership conversation, as something Leechius does not want to be. "'Bout time" Into the portal he steps, praying to whatever god or devil will hear him, 'Please let some of them be sane.'
    Last edited by rafet; 2015-01-13 at 08:57 AM.
    Show
    My Games
    Demon Lord-Mepudon 4e:
    Recruitment;OOC;IC
    OOC; IC

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

As the adventurers step through the portal, the dwarf shout one last sentence : "The scouts told us he left tips for you near the exit portal !".

After a few seconds of what feels like being flushed over by waves, the party step out of a portal, as dry as they entered it.

The adventurers are in what seems to be a room in a dungeon, with stone floor, walls, and ceiling, torches hanging every few paces on the walls and columns. There is no other living soul in sight, but one goblin corpse lies down near the portal. It is pierced in the feet, calves, knees, hands, elbows, and shoulders.

A nearby scroll, kept in place thanks to a dagger, reads :
    "There is a portal that will bring you closer to the Pearl, a thousand feet to the west.
    There are a few dozen Goblins in this pocket dimension.
    They seem oblivious to the portals.
    They don't seem very aggressive towards the wild animals here.
    We're spotted giant rats, beetles, and bats here.
    The compass will indicate the north and will try to sniff the Pearl."

A bag, nearby, contains a dozen rations and a compass, a green needle indicating the right of the room, a blue needle indicating forward, toward the only exit of the room.

Other than that, the room seems empty.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'll stay behind to guard the exit. I suppose you guys wouldn't have liked to be stuck in a dungeon."
    Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    The Joker is supposed to be a nightmarish figure, the culmination of all things despicable and horrible about mankind. Of course he's a hipster.

20. - Top - End - #20

RedKnightGirl

"A riddle, hm," Gregors mused, looking over the page thoughtfully. After stepping through the portal of course. Wait... what if he DIDN'T step through the portal and he was here anyway? What if he'd just hallucinated stepping through? This could still be in the same inn! But why would someone want to do something like that? It could be the perfume salesmen... it wasn't their MO, but all perfume was a potent hallucinogen. Someone could have unknowingly sprayed hte entire inn with it. Unless... oh, a riddle! Where'd this come from?

"...interesting. There are too many layers here for me to puzzle out reliably," Gregoras admits. "But it seems as though the reference to the cardinal directions is actually code for the two main fruit companies, Bananas Inc and Apples Plus. West refers to Bananas Inc, and it claims there are many goblins in that area. This HAS to be a reference to the gagnin fruit, a rare fruit that is only sold on Tuesdays and only know the code word. It must be some sort of storage facility... the fact that they're oblivious to the portals means that we have a chance to eliminate their whole supply while their attention is elsewhere! And... I don't know what it means by giant animals, what do you think Quackers?" Gregoras was quiet for a moment. "Quackers says he thinks it's a d*** joke. It's as good an explanation as any I suppose."

Pausing for a moment, Gregoras continued. "So the note is clear - we must find this portal in a direction unspecified in the note, and smash this entire supply of fruit before they wise up."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Looking at the strange man with the fox skin on his head with the most dumbfounded of looks on his face, "I don't know who you are, but your insane, but honestly, if 'smashing fruit' means 'killing goblins,' then let's try a fruit fry recipe I have in mind." Switching his gaze to the dead to dead goblin, "But let's maybe sort things out first, like checking what this green arrow is pointing too, and checking those wounds from goblin are just from the scout who left the bag."

'Dammit, if I could be just a bit more patient, I wouldn't be the one giving obvious directions' His gaze looks over at few of the quieter, more normal looking company 'Still...' the last thought in his head

"Speaking of which," Leechius reaches down to grab the bag, "I'll hold on to this being one of the few sane ones here"
    Last edited by rafet; 2015-01-13 at 01:00 PM.
    Show
    My Games
    Demon Lord-Mepudon 4e:
    Recruitment;OOC;IC
    OOC; IC

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

As soon as Leodor steps through the portal, and finds himself in a stone brick dungeon. There, he can see a goblin corpse.

He comes closer to investigate the dead goblin.

"What have I gotten myself into this time?" He whispered to himself.

Spoiler: Perception check
    Show

Perception check for the dead goblin: (1d20+15)[23]

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

While various compatriots busy themselves with the finer details of a corpse and bemoaning there current status, a wolf sniffs around closer to the door, black eyes searching for more relevant signs: How long since someone else was here? Given how the dwarf said time worked, that corpse could be hours old. Old enough for an ambush to be set up in revenge...
    Spoiler: Rolling Perception
    Show
    (1d20+10)[26]

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Spoiler: Leodor's check
    Show
    The corpse looks like nearly any goblin. He has been tortured with a dagger, most likely the one (or one with the same shape) holding the scroll (though it has been cleaned). He's been finally killed a few hours ago.
    You also notice a recent crossbow-bolt wound (a few hours old), and older rat bites (days old). He doesn't wear anything, and traces over his body indicates that he didn't wear anything when he was alive.
    You don't think that this goblin would have been a real danger in combat.

Spoiler: Centabra's check
    Show
    The room is rectangle, 30' by 50' (9m by 15m). The portal is at the middle of one of the short side, and you can see a 10' wide corridor making a T-junction after a few paces, on the other side of the room.
    The room is a bit dusty, and you can see wide footprints, most likely made by dwarves, around the portal and narrower and bloody ones, from the corridor to the goblin.
    Apart from those and the 2 bolts stuck in the wall near the corridor, you can't see any trace of life here, until you quickly notice a giant rat crossing the T-junction (from the right to the left).

25. - Top - End - #25
    Barbarian in the Playground

Alejandro mutters a benediction for the tortured goblin, then gathers up his share of the rations and goes to the exit, to look peer down it, on guard. "Do what you need to here. I am prepared to leave when the group is, and I'll take point."

26. - Top - End - #26

RedKnightGirl

"Time is of the essence if we don't want to be groin deep in gouda," Gregoras agreed, following his companions lead.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

The wolf that was sniffing around the door lets out several mixed growls and barks as its companions move out the door. Realizing its not going to be understood, it then runs up to the plated warrior before returning back to a human so it can speak. "Not in armor like that, you won't be. If there's a trap, you won't be able to dodge it as well as I with all that armor strapped to you. I'll be a bit ahead of you.". Without waiting for a response, she returns to her more lupine form and runs a bit ahead.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

"I'll follow" Leechius replies with the bag in hand, "Anyone else want a share of their rations just ask" And with that he stands near half-elf paladin.
    Show
    My Games
    Demon Lord-Mepudon 4e:
    Recruitment;OOC;IC
    OOC; IC

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

"This goblin was tortured with a dagger and killed by the shot from a crossbow." Leodor says as he gets up.

"We should move on."

The elf druid stands behind the tiefling, reaching into his cloak for his totem.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

As you reach the T-junction, you can see torches hung every few paces on the walls of the corridor. The section to your left turns right and the section to your right turns left, both after 30 feet (10m).

The most sensitive of you (Centabra, Leodor, and Gregoras) can see a giant rat fleeing you on your right, and smell a musty chlorine odour from the left.