New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O-Chul's mount

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default O-Chul's mount

Will we get a chance to see his mount?

I don't think it is the standard horse, so what animal will it be?

My opinion: a bear (maybe polar?)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: O-Chul's mount

O-Chul would only need five levels of paladin to earn a special mount, but he hasn't even demonstrated a second daily use of smite evil (which would be gained at the same level). He had a lot of experience as a fighter, so it's probable he has more fighter levels than paladin levels. Given the dialogue when Lien's was revealed, if O-Chul has a special mount I'm guessing it would not be useful while moving across a tundra, probably be useful for guard duty, and he didn't have it when he was escaping Azure City/Gobotopia or he would have been able to summon it. I expect there will be a twist in the choice of the mount, but nothing is standing out to me as a more likely candidate right now.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

O'Chul's mount is so powerful, he's actually riding it all the time (it's planet earth).

O'Chul's mount is so large, he can't summon it without obscuring the sun. Since he likes people, he lets it shine.

O'Chul is so cool, the only way for his mount to be as cool as he is is that his feet are his mount.

Or maybe he's a variant paladin. I seem to remember a variant paladin with a sword instead of a horse, but I don't remember how it worked. PHB2 maybe?
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

I'm expecting Windstriker.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Or maybe he's a variant paladin. I seem to remember a variant paladin with a sword instead of a horse, but I don't remember how it worked. PHB2 maybe?
    Pathfinder paladins get to choose between applying enchantments to their weapon or getting a special mount for divine bond. Although, if there is a paladin which rides an animated sword as a mount, I really hope it also has a scabbard.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm going to go with "He doesn't have enough Paladin levels" for $500, Alex.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

7. - Top - End - #7

I'm still going with a blue roan. Humble, unassuming, tougher than 90% of the Monster Manual. Just like O-Chul.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

PHB2 has that alternate class feature where, instead of a special mount, a paladin deals triple smite damage if they smite evil on a charge attack. That's my guess.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    I'm going to go with "He doesn't have enough Paladin levels" for $500, Alex.
    This is to concur with the above utterly reasonable assessment.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Hinjo notes at one point that O-Chul gained levels during his imprisonment. If he wasn't a level 5 paladin at the time of the Azure City battle, I can easily see him either having reached level 5 recently, or reaching level 5 during the course of this book (or the next?). If that's the case, we may seem him gaining a mount for the first time, which will presumably be awesome.
    Last edited by Emanick; 2016-04-06 at 02:11 PM.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

O'Chul clearly rides a rampaging rhino.

As such, unfortunately, a rhino mount is so far highly impractical for the locations O'Chul has been (and presumably they took his summoning ball while he was imprisoned).
    Last edited by Olinser; 2016-04-06 at 09:40 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

He might not use it because it's behind in level and too weak to be of much use. Paladin mounts aren't the greatest even at full level. And if it dies he cannot get another for 30 days and gets a -1 to hit in the mean time. He'll probably use it some day for utility rather than combat. Maybe he would be riding it now if it weren't so cold.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2016-04-06 at 10:00 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

Upon defeating the yrthak rider, O-Chul will level up, tame the beast and use it as his ride from then on.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by ericgrau View Post
    He might not use it because it's behind in level and too weak to be of much use. Paladin mounts aren't the greatest even at full level. And if it dies he cannot get another for 30 days and gets a -1 to hit in the mean time. He'll probably use it some day for utility rather than combat. Maybe he would be riding it now if it weren't so cold.
    His mount would not benefit from his Cloak of Endure Elements, so...

That said, I could see him choosing to gain the benefit of a favored divine weapon rather than a horse. O-Chul would ask no creature to carry him where he might walk.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The gF View Post
    That said, I could see him choosing to gain the benefit of a favored divine weapon rather than a horse. O-Chul would ask no creature to carry him where he might walk.
    This. gF has captured the essence of O-Chul.
    *Golf Clap*
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I was thinking about this the other day. I think he could have reach paladin level 5 or even more during the Azure City ocupation or during last book. My guess (and it's just that, a guess) is that he would choose a flying mount, given the chance he has to face Xykon.

A griffon, maybe? That's level 7 or 8, I think.
    but just as some things can be right and useless at the same time, can’t something be wrong...and priceless?

17. - Top - End - #17

SamuraiGuy

I'm going to go with "He does not yet have enough Paladin levels, and when he gets that fifth level, he will choose MitD, and the level of awesome will be so great that even Xykon will be impressed".
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    I'm going to go with "He does not yet have enough Paladin levels, and when he gets that fifth level, he will choose MitD, and the level of awesome will be so great that even Xykon will be impressed".
    At the risk of working blue, I don't think that O-Chul would mount a man. I recall that he referred to MiTD as a good man.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

19. - Top - End - #19

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    At the risk of working blue, I don't think that O-Chul would mount a man. I recall that he referred to MiTD as a good man.
    I believe the definition of "man" may be broader than "bipedal humanoid with exterior plumbing" in this instance.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    I believe the definition of "man" may be broader than "bipedal humanoid with exterior plumbing" in this instance.
    I think he means that since the MitD is a person, O-Chul wouldn't use him as a mount. I'm not sure I agree with that given the existence of dragon-riders in various D&D settings, but still.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    PHB2 has that alternate class feature where, instead of a special mount, a paladin deals triple smite damage if they smite evil on a charge attack. That's my guess.
    Very in character, and it gives a good having waving explanation on how he managed to take out Redcloak's eye with one shot.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    I'm still going with a blue roan. Humble, unassuming, tougher than 90% of the Monster Manual. Just like O-Chul.
    Being tougher than 90% of the Monster Manual isn't very impressive, especially if the other 10% is the covers.

Quote Originally Posted by Snails View Post
    Very in character, and it gives a good having waving explanation on how he managed to take out Redcloak's eye with one shot.
    Eyes don't have many HP.

I don't see any reason to think O-Chul would have anything but a common horse as his mount. O-Chul is a pretty average guy, despite being a badass. In fact, part of what makes him such a big badass is that he's just a normal guy, without any serious magic or dragon blood or what-have-you.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    I'm expecting Windstriker.
    That... that's an awesome idea! I don't know if it makes sense within the story or the rules, but I now want this to happen.

Maybe combine it with the "he doesn't/didn't have enough levels" theory to say that he now has got or will get enough paladin levels and somehow ends up getting Windstriker though whatever means mounts are allocated.
    Allergy advice: posts may contain traces of sarcasm

24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

That sounds like an excellent fit for O-Chul, smiting evil more effectively instead of giving himself the convenience of a mount.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

A lion!
    I like a rhino, too.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Onyavar View Post
    Upon defeating the yrthak rider, O-Chul will level up, tame the beast and use it as his ride from then on.
    Sadly, paladin mounts don't work that way. It has to be a creature that lives on one of the upper planes and is summoned by the paladin.
    Last edited by PallentisLunam; 2016-04-18 at 11:28 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PallentisLunam View Post
    Sadly, paladin mounts don't work that way. It has to be a creature that lives on one of the upper planes and is summoned by the paladin.
    Do you really think its soul will still be on the material plane once O-Chul's done with it?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    Do you really think its soul will still be on the material plane once O-Chul's done with it?
    No, but yrthaks are neutral and paladin mounts specifically come from "celestial realms".

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The gF View Post

Well, I know what my headcanon is.

Though, I don't think O-Chul would necessarily object to riding the MitD if push came to shove, especially since odds are that conversation would start with the MitD asking O-Chul to ride him, not the other way around (and since my choice of wording opens the door to it I'm going to preemptively state that I DID NOT MEAN the MitD would try to ride O-Chul, amusing as that might be). It's not really imposing when a sentient creature says "hop on", right?

It would be particularly interesting if the MitD turns out to be some sort of divine beast, at any rate. Might technically count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrous View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    Incidentally, this is why you never see a group of halflings together. Their collective gravitational force could rip apart fabric of space-time. No halfling can ever spend too much time near another halfling, lest they end the planet as they know it. They live solitary lives, separated from their own mothers from infancy, for the sake of the planet. It is a grave burden they bear...
    There are three halflings at the Godsmoot. Guess how the Gods will destroy the world if Dvalin votes yes.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Yeah, but Paladins seem to treat their mounts with respect, pretty much as equals and fellow intelligent beings (see Miko with Windstriker), so I don't think that's an impossibility.

Quote Originally Posted by ChillerInstinct
    Though, I don't think O-Chul would necessarily object to riding the MitD if push came to shove, especially since odds are that conversation would start with the MitD asking O-Chul to ride him, not the other way around (and since my choice of wording opens the door to it I'm going to preemptively state that I DID NOT MEAN the MitD would try to ride O-Chul, amusing as that might be). It's not really imposing when a sentient creature says "hop on", right?
    Also, that.
    I don't think it would make sense for MitD to become O-Chul's actual mount, but if it happened as a one-time-deal (in the final series of confrontation for example), it would be pretty cool.

In all seriousness, I think that if O-Chul had a mount we'd have seen it by now.
    My True Neutral Handbook, a resource for creating and playing TN characters.

Check out my extended signature and the "Gitp regulars as..." that I've been honored with!