New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 49 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default EMPIRE! CWBG XII: GOTY, now with optionally free Cthulhu and Pony DLC!

Hello! Pleasant to see you here! However, we've moved on to a newer thread. The current thread is here. Come on in!

EMPIRE!
    Gods, Kings & Adventurers
    A Community World=Building Game by Morph Bark

Now officially celebrating its one-year anniversary!

Current Year: 491-496
    IC thread: click!
    Dice-Rolling thread: click!

NOTE:
    Every so often, the rules have small updates, marked in red. If you discover a hole in the rules, please report it so it can be looked into and taken care of. We try to make the rules as clear, solid and usable as they can be, so they don't need a GM to make rulings too often.

Welcome to EMPIRE! A game of gods, kings and adventurers. In this game, you will play a character, a ruler of a region. And once s/he dies, you will play their heir and so on, continuing on the family legacy. You scheme, discover and conquer your way towards becoming the most-remembered person in history. Respected, loved, feared.

This world will start as a simple one similar to the times of the Middle Ages, but through the actions of players and random events the scope of the world will expand, science marches on and magic may even be introduced. Magic is rare, though monsters may be abound in players’ regions, strange natural resources or the crafts of alchemy may be at their use and supernatural phenomena can take place.

Best beware if you want to ensure your legacy.

If you want to become a player and all regions are currently taken, don't worry. New regions can always be added in during play, and we can put you on the waiting list in the meantime if need be. If Empire interests you, but you don't want to play the game, you can always partake in the Freeform RP threads that are open to everyone, or even in its World-Building threads. See the list at the end of this post.

Be warned! This is primarily a game of world-building, but contains some strategic elements, secretive scheming, and both cooperation and vehement competition between players at times. It's all easy enough to understand once you've read through the rules, and GREAT fun to play in and talk with all your co-world-builders in this thread, but keep in mind that in the game itself, IC, it can be a very bumpy ride. Let us ask questions, help each other, communicate, cooperate, build and have fun OOC, even as we bash each other's brains in IC.

Also, if you have a question, and you can ask a player (about their region or people, for instance), ask them instead of the GM. If you can ask it in the thread, do that instead of via PM. The GM's PM inbox is regularly cleared and thus things can easily get lost, so try keep it to secret stuff and (IC) reactions to stuff you get in your own inbox.

Atlas
    Spoiler
    Show
    Below is the most current map of the known world. Here is a list of regions that has been claimed and by whom. It is slightly outdated, so if you aim to take over a certain region, it is always good to double-check in the main thread (this one) whether it is taken or not. It might even currently be in the process of being taken over by someone else. This is especially good advice to new players, because then you're more aware of the general situation of the area you'll be dropping into.

[Underground]

The Rules of the Game
    See this thread.

Game Masters
    Rulecrafter: Morph Bark

Head GM: QuintonBeck

GM Team: Aedilred, TheWombatOfDoom, Waylander

~ ~ GM Data Collection ~ ~
    All the information on rulers & regions

See this thread for all records of rulers, population, military, agents, technologies, etc.

See this thread for all records on resources and trade.

New Player Tips and Advice (Morph)

FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions (Wombat)

Extra Player Resources (For the Players, By the Players)
    Heraldry Generator (thanks, Logic!)
    Family Banner Generator
    Flag Generator (thanks, Logic!)
    Family Tree Builder (thanks, zabbarot!)

Should there be anything incorrect or not updated yet about any of the above tables it’s always possible that the GM or co-GM in charge of that has missed it. If so, please feel free to inform us with the proper, most updated information.

Fluff-Building Threads
    The following threads are purely for expanding on existing fluff or theorizing about the history or make-up of the world. Some of them are in-character role-play bits, some are projects for creating maps, others are quotes or excerpts from books.
    Pre-History (World-Building, pre-Year 1, pre-Year 330)
    Rajurdic Codex (Year 338+)
    Scrolls of Prowess (Year 349+)
    Bestiary of Telluris (Year 354+)
    Regional Maps (World-Building)
    Northern Hemisphere Star Map (World-Building)
    13 Swords of the True Jaaku Na (World-Building)

Previous Main Thread Incarnations
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2015-04-03 at 11:01 AM.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: EMPIRE! CWBG XII: GOTY, now with optional Cthulhu and Pony DLC!

Well...that was ominous...
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: EMPIRE! CWBG XII: GOTY, now with optionally free Cthulhu and Pony DLC!

Nobody said anything about elder gods. I like it.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Well, Watcher confirmed as Cthulu.
    James/TheDoge Avatar by Ceika!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke View Post
    *snip* ...Hands down the funniest class critique ever... *snip*
    I cannot tell you the number of times I laughed while reading this.

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

First Place Pathfinder Grab Bags:
    XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

And to think, yesterday was the anniversary of the opening of the first OOC thread and it's less than a week until the anniversary of the opening of round one and the beginning of this crazy, mad, wonderful journey. And we haven't destroyed the world.
    I've said this before and I'm going to say it again, it has been an amazing year of writing and scheming and I just want to say thanks to everyone for making it so great.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    It's hardly the most ominous thing that's happened thus far in this game. It's the most ominous poetry though, so I'll give you that.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    And to think, yesterday was the anniversary of the opening of the first OOC thread and it's less than a week until the anniversary of the opening of round one and the beginning of this crazy, mad, wonderful journey. And we haven't destroyed the world.
    I've said this before and I'm going to say it again, it has been an amazing year of writing and scheming and I just want to say thanks to everyone for making it so great.
    Amen, my friend. I've had a fantastic time with the insane lot of ya, and I look forward to next year's insanity even more.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: EMPIRE! CWBG XII: GOTY, now with optionally free Cthulhu and Pony DLC!

@Morph: That map. I do not think it is as updated as you previously hoped it might have been. It lacks... the possibility of Makgrull. (U31 not featured)

@At Everyone: Yay! New thread! Also: I am not hosting an event this time around. I've thought about it, and if I want to do it right, I have to wait a little longer. If events are being hosted by someone else, the Makgrull may show if it's near the water's edge... but I've decided against hosting a Turn 33 Event when I don't have the post ready to go as soon as the Turn begins. As it stands, it will take me a week or so to craft the event how I want it to be crafted. So I'd rather go through with the training of my people, and host the "unveiling" party next Turn, I think.

...which would give those interested time to fully consider their next moves, if they wanted to be part of the Academy Ship project, or be friendly with the Makgrull.

If anything, I might send out a cryptic message this turn to concerned leaders. So. Next Turn, who wants to send a diplomat or dignitary to an event? I'm making invitations this turn, I think.
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:
    I've only seen a character at anything resembling this level of absurdity thrive exactly once, and he/she/what-the-jongo had the advantage of being written by Gengy, who I look up to as a writer.

"What-the-Jongo?"
    Before you insult someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, you'll be a mile away, and have their shoes!

Got me a Real Job™ (yay!). Still busy (boo!).
    ~avatar by myself

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gengy View Post
    @Morph: That map. I do not think it is as updated as you previously hoped it might have been. It lacks... the possibility of Makgrull. (U31 not featured)

@At Everyone: Yay! New thread! Also: I am not hosting an event this time around. I've thought about it, and if I want to do it right, I have to wait a little longer. If events are being hosted by someone else, the Makgrull may show if it's near the water's edge... but I've decided against hosting a Turn 33 Event when I don't have the post ready to go as soon as the Turn begins. As it stands, it will take me a week or so to craft the event how I want it to be crafted. So I'd rather go through with the training of my people, and host the "unveiling" party next Turn, I think.

...which would give those interested time to fully consider their next moves, if they wanted to be part of the Academy Ship project, or be friendly with the Makgrull.

If anything, I might send out a cryptic message this turn to concerned leaders. So. Next Turn, who wants to send a diplomat or dignitary to an event? I'm making invitations this turn, I think.
    Definitely interested... We'll see if I can, but I think I have the actions free.

Also the map stuff should probably be directed to Quinton, not Morph.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey Logic I filled your inbox. I know this because I tried to send a corrected version of my message after spotting a particularly silly mistake. I think you can guess what the mistake is and what the correct bit should be, so I won't worry about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quinton: I posted this in the Skype as well, but the import necessity for Frontier is still fulfilled with Heartwine, as noted on the Google Doc of trades. I believe that would effect the annoyed princes in that region.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok Zabb, I cleared as much space as I can spare, but I am referencing a bit much trying to set up a werewolf game, participate in two others and then there is this game....
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Discord: Spacecamp-Logic-Yako
    Former Avatar by Ceika, which I have long since lost a copy of.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Logic View Post
    Ok Zabb, I cleared as much space as I can spare, but I am referencing a bit much trying to set up a werewolf game, participate in two others and then there is this game....
    That is crazy o-o. You did get my message though right?
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quinton: I posted this in the Skype as well, but the import necessity for Frontier is still fulfilled with Heartwine, as noted on the Google Doc of trades. I believe that would effect the annoyed princes in that region.
    The import necessity for Frontier is Cooling Items:
    Sadly for Frontier, its rocky outcroppings of ores offer little to no protection from the shade. For them, they desperately need [Cooling Items]. Without ice from the north, most meat that's out in the open begins to grow foul within a day, sometimes even a few hours.
    It's Sahra'a that requires Beverages. Frontier used to import Tears of Yphine, but you redirected them to Sahra'a in Round 29. Likewise, you redirected the former Heartwine import into Sahra'a to Frontier in Round 22.

Edit: And now, as a birthday present for the thread, crown populations for the current round:

Realm Population
    Salterri Imperium 42,277,000
    Empire of Dawn 15,680,000
    Glazfelli Hegemony (including vassals) 12,729,000
    Kingdom of the Carmine Sea (including vassals) 12,238,000
    Hurosha Empire (including vassals) 11,147,000
    Empire of the Silver Moon 10,743,000+
    Triumvirate 10,125,000
    Kingdom of the Carmine Sea 8,242,000
    Salterri Heartlands 7,172,000
    Glazfelli Hegemony 7,093,000
    Sovereign Principality of Niskovia (including vassals) 6,989,000
    Hurosha Empire 6,218,000
    Kingdom of Serendel 6,186,000
    Caercian Consortium 5,923,000
    Kingdom of Ashenia (including vassals) 5,907,000
    Kingdom of Ashenia 5,763,000
    Faedas Freehold 5,668,000
    Seaborne Confederation 5,552,000
    Kingdom of the Silver Moon 5,550,000+
    Guilderene Expanse 4,957,000+
    Kingdom of Calorum 4,929,000
    Kingdom of Celero 4,856,000
    Kingdom of Mularuhm (including vassals) 4,726,000
    Royal Council of Raaneka 4,537,000
    Imperial Alydaxian Dominion 4,117,000
    Kingdom of the Isles 3,996,000
    Sovereign Principality of Niskovia 3,604,000
    Kingdom of Mularuhm 3,548,000
    METAL 3,490,000
    Tzaltec Empire 3,436,000
    Fera 3,385,000
    Pavonian Imperium 2,909,000
    Kingdom of the Iron Doctrine 2,889,000
    Tyranny of New Crima 1,908,000
    Holy Kingdom of Sycia 1,817,000
    Niemida Prefecture 1,810,000
    Greatest Kingdom of Zuiguo 1,210,000
    Nixdarum 1,178,000
    Glifrey 1,076,000
    Kingdom of Stolok 930,000
    Ash-Kingdom of Maur 930,000
    Valasharix 810,000
    Makgrull 700,000
    United Free Cities 607,000
    Sulvan Primarchy 104,000
    Warriors of Syvine 40,000
    An Nádur 35,000
    Everburning Horde 23

(Missing: The Clanships, Alzeroth, 20B, Yanguang)
    Last edited by Aedilred; 2015-01-13 at 04:23 PM.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Modifying my troop deployments soonish.

EDIT: Okay, modification up.
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2015-01-13 at 04:15 PM.
    Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    Realm Population
    Salterri Imperium 42,277,000
    Empire of Dawn 15,680,000
    Glazfelli Hegemony (including vassals) 12,729,000
    Kingdom of the Carmine Sea (including vassals) 12,238,000
    Hurosha Empire (including vassals) 11,147,000
    Empire of the Silver Moon 10,743,000+
    Triumvirate 10,125,000
    Kingdom of the Carmine Sea 8,242,000
    Salterri Heartlands 7,172,000
    Glazfelli Hegemony 7,093,000
    Sovereign Principality of Niskovia (including vassals) 6,989,000
    Hurosha Empire 6,218,000
    Kingdom of Serendel 6,186,000
    Caercian Consortium 5,923,000
    Kingdom of Ashenia (including vassals) 5,907,000
    Kingdom of Ashenia 5,763,000
    Faedas Freehold 5,668,000
    Seaborne Confederation 5,552,000
    Kingdom of the Silver Moon 5,550,000+
    Guilderene Expanse 4,957,000+
    Kingdom of Calorum 4,929,000
    Kingdom of Celero 4,856,000
    Kingdom of Mularuhm (including vassals) 4,726,000
    Royal Council of Raaneka 4,537,000
    Imperial Alydaxian Dominion 4,117,000
    Kingdom of the Isles 3,996,000
    Sovereign Principality of Niskovia 3,604,000
    Kingdom of Mularuhm 3,548,000
    METAL 3,490,000
    Tzaltec Empire 3,436,000
    Fera 3,385,000
    Pavonian Imperium 2,909,000
    Kingdom of the Iron Doctrine 2,889,000
    Tyranny of New Crima 1,908,000
    Holy Kingdom of Sycia 1,817,000
    Niemida Prefecture 1,810,000
    Greatest Kingdom of Zuiguo 1,210,000
    Nixdarum 1,178,000
    Glifrey 1,076,000
    Kingdom of Stolok 930,000
    Ash-Kingdom of Maur 930,000
    Makgrull 700,000
    United Free Cities 607,000
    Sulvan Primarchy 104,000
    Warriors of Syvine 40,000
    An Nádur 35,000
    Everburning Horde 23

(Missing: The Clanships, Alzeroth, 20B, Yanguang)
    Also missing: Valasharix

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by moossabi View Post
    Also missing: Valasharix
    I don't know what you mean
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

You're missing tbe 2,000 recruited Sympol loonies.
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I don't know what you mean
    I think you do. Kinda.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    You're missing tbe 2,000 recruited Sympol loonies.

Realm Population
    Everburning Horde 2023

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

For the sake of fair play, those concerned with the ongoing war would be advised to check my actions post. Morph is busy with work for the next few days but will probably add something in his own words at some point later in the week. In overall substance though if not in detail, it can be assumed to come from him as well.

I think the relevant parties have already been informed privately, but it's best to make these things public.
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Concerning the war this round: Despite the escalation, I probably won't be getting involved as I'm going to help handle the Dreadlove situation instead because that kind of needs dealing with.

Edit: Shock horror! I got my action post up in the first week of the round!
    Anyways... Tech has been invented, cower in fear of my death rays! Feel free to nitpick with the details.
    Solar Ray Towers.
    Using an array of metal, primarily silver and mithril, and glass mirrors aligned on precisely calculated and adjustable angles, sunlight can be focussed into a system of lenses that further focuses it into potentially destructive beams which can then be aimed at targets. A city or fortress outfitted with such a system would be able to destroy any encampments or siege weapons within line of sight of its walls and towers rendering it virtually immune to assault or practical siege. However, due to the constraints of such a system, individual moving targets are more or less free from the weapon's effects though it would still be able to break up formations with considerable effect.
    Required resources: -A suitably reflective metal for mirror construction. Examples include mithril and silver.
    -Glass or crystal of sufficient clearness for lenses. Example crystals include quartz, white sapphire and goshenite.
    Required tech: Lenses. (Obviously)
    Effect: Any region wherein a great project has been conducted to outfit its defences with such a system receives a plus two to defence.
    Oh, and does anyone know the special metal and specialised cavalry bonuses? I can't for the life of me find them.
    Last edited by Elemental; 2015-01-14 at 04:16 AM.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)

Dragons!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground

It's kind of amusing that Dreadlove is going to be swatted like a fly, but not before he reaches land and causes untold collateral damage from the cross fire of the forces rallied against him alone. What with all those blackpowder bombs being lobbed at him.
    ...with a vengeance!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Anyways... Tech has been invented, cower in fear of my death rays! Feel free to nitpick with the details.
    I didn't realise they were so imminent! They're awesome. As things stand the bonus looks fine to me; <insert normal waffling about probable forthcoming tech revamp here>

Oh, and does anyone know the special metal and specialised cavalry bonuses? I can't for the life of me find them.
    I think they got lost in one of the edits, along with all the other generic bonuses. Specialised Cavalry is +1 to both tactical manoeuvring and battle rolls; Special Metal is +2 to battle rolls.
    Last edited by Aedilred; 2015-01-14 at 05:45 AM.
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

The Dragon Cult

In a study of the modern Tzaltec Dragon Cult, one fact above all must be made clear - the Dragon Cult is Tzalteclan. Since before the great Cataclysm it has played a major role in the lives of every Tzaltec, and the Tzalteca have come to internalize its teachings to such a degree that any attempt to argue its righteousness runs the risk of provoking a physical confrontation. So long as that unwise course of action is avoided, however, the Tzaltec fanatics are easy enough to live with. Possessed of an undeserved sense of mastery, perhaps, but decent enough.

- Professor H. Cheswyn, The Religions of Modern Telluris

Spoiler: Creation Myth
    Show
    In the beginning, as in all beginnings, there was darkness. A darkness so profound as to defy imagining, a black void of endless silence. Then, as always, there was light! A fire sparked, and the darkness burst into tatters. In its place was the first Great Dragon, Tzetultep. His eyes suns, his blood molten magma, his skin the jagged stone of the mountain. He roared, and in his roar was birthed the first sound. Yet so mighty was Tzetultep that his voice carried with it the song of creation. Unguided, uncontrolled, it sought out the tattered remnants of the old darkness and created the Kokotzitzimi, the Creeping Void. Given awareness, the Kokotzitzimi lashed out against the creature that had destroyed it, and the sky was filled with fire and the sounds of battle.

Kokotzitzimi was strong, but its strength was a borrowed strength, its anger merely an echo of what had passed. It could not best Tzetultep, and so it sought to maim him. Locked in each others' embrace, Kokotzitzimi struck out with three barbed stingers, carving away three strips of Tzetultep's being. Yet even as it did, it fell fully into Tzetultep's grasp, and was banished from his sight.

Tzetultep's light dimmed as he tended to his wounds. And though he was alone, three voices joined him in the songs of healing. For Kokotzitzimi had struck well, and sheared away mighty portions of Tzetultep's strength. Mighty enough that separate from Tzetultep they retained a life of their own, and grew into Great Dragons themselves even as he was diminished. So it was that even the vilest creation of Tzetultep served its purpose, for their combined harmony of their song outstripped even the power of Tzetultep's first mighty roar.

With their combined voices, the Great Dragons breathed life into the empty sky, giving birth to land and sea and star. The light of Tzetultep shone down on the land, and for a time things were good. Yet Kokotzitzimi was forever restless and hated the creation of the Great Dragons, and so each day Tzetultep would fly to the outmost reaches of creation to battle its first creation. Yet the other Great Dragons grew to despise the darkness, and so fashioned a second light to fill the sky when Tzetultep was embattled.

For a time the Great Dragons were pleased by their creation, but as time passed they grew dissatisfied with the endless cycle of their perfect seas and untouched continents. They desired, more than anything, life, and while the three Great Dragons torn from his flesh bore within themselves the crucible in which to create life, only Tzetultep himself possessed the fire. And so they gathered clay from across the vastness of the world and baked it in themselves into the fashion of living beings - fish, birds, beasts, and the plants of land and sea. And for a time they were pleased, but soon they discovered their children to be simple creatures incapable of understanding their songs. So they tried again, taking stone from the earth and firing it ever hotter, and created the manifold races of mortalkind. And for a time the Great Dragons were pleased, and taught the mortal races their songs. Yet they grew dissatisfied for a third time, for none of the beings they had created bore the power of their forebears. So it was that Tzetultep divided up an equal portion of his fire to the other three Great Dragons, and built for himself a kiln of purest diamond. Each of the Great Dragons then scoured the world for the material that best suited their needs - gold and silver, iron and mercury. And in this final forging the chosen peoples of the Great Dragons came to walk the earth, and multiplied beneath the watchful eyes of their progenitors.

Spoiler: History
    Show
    In the beginning, Tzalteca were not a unified people. Though they made their homes in and around the great mesa that would become the foundation of modern Tzalteclan, they were divided into six tribes, each one vying with the other five in all things. In those days there was no Teotlkan - indeed, the high priests of the faith, the teotlcade, were subservient to the six chiefs. And where the teotlcade preached the glory of the Tzalteca as a whole, the chiefs heard them less and less with every generation, each one discarding the trappings of faith to better pursue their venal ambitions. Hundreds died in purposeless wars, and the tribes of the forest began to lose their fear of the bronze warriors in the south. Eventually, the Tzalteca were forced to guard against attacks from without as well as within, as the jungle tribes emerged from beneath their branches under cover of night and stole crops, tools, even children. Yet the chiefs were untroubled, so consumed were they by their ambitions, and so the teotlcade came together and formed a plan.

For the teotlcade were the most trusted of all Tzalteca, so much so that their presence went unquestioned even in the longhouses of the chiefs. The greatest of their number in that dark time was a man named Senakhtenre, and he realized that the teotlcade had strayed from their purpose, and allowed the chaos of Kokotzitzimi to corrupt the hearts of their chiefs. So excoriating was his appeal that the other teotlcade submitted to his will, and in a night of blood slew the six chiefs and all their progeny. On the dawn, confronted by the warriors of the six tribes, they repeated the words of Senakhtenre and the sharp spears were lowered. The people flocked to the mesa of Tzalteclan to hear the great priest speak, and in his words found a unity of purpose. Senakhtenre was crowned first Teotlkan of the Tzalteca, while the six tribes were abolished and united into a single Tzalteclan.

The years that followed were both great and terrible, for as prosperity returned to the Tzalteca so too did ruin descend on their neighbors. For while they may have put aside the internecine feuds that had torn them apart, the Tzalteca had not forgiven the trespasses of the jungle tribes. Raiding parties were formed, wars were conducted, and for the first time Tzaltec warriors returned home with lines of captives trudging behind them. Senakhtenre pronounced that these prisoners were not worthy of compassion or mercy, being from barely human stock, and so they and their children were bound in eternal servitude. Within three generations, not only had the Tzaltec population recovered, but their workforce had nearly doubled thanks to the endless labor of their slaves. The first foundations were laid for stone buildings atop the mesa, and Tzalteclan proper began to take shape.

Spoiler: Modern Dogma
    Show
    Coming!

Spoiler: Sayings
    Show
    "Beware the Dragon's roar."

A commonly misunderstood saying, this phrase is a warning against meddling in things one might not understand. Much as Tzetultep's roar gave life to the Kokotzitzimi, so might a mortal's actions have unexpected consequences.

Spoiler: Relationships
    Show
    The Pantheon

Tzetultep: Lord and progenitor of the Great Dragons, Tzetultep is the only one considered male among their number. Fire and the Earth are his spheres, in addition to the lesser domains of War, Civilization, and Craft. His blessings can be felt every day through the sun that is his palace, while his wrath is felt primarily through earthquakes and volcanoes. He is the patron of Summer, and its solstice is his highest annual holy day. Sacrifices to Tzetultep almost always include blood, for it was his blood that gave birth to the other Great Dragons and through them the world entire. Among the four, he is credited with creating the animals that walk upon the land, as well as the Tzaltec who are his chosen people. The sole Great Dragon to emerge from the Cataclysm with his memories intact, his teachings urge patience with the wayward ideologies of the other Great Dragons who are his partners and mates. However, to all others Tzetultep's commandments are unyielding, pure as gold and stern as iron. Those religions seen to venerate Kokotzitzimi are regarded with particular venom, and most adherents require very little coaxing to commit violence against their priests or places of worship. Notably, Tzetultep is also the source of the Tzalteca's religious devotion to the practice of slavery, as they believe themselves the apex of Tzetultep's creations and worthy of mastery.

Yphine: The Great Dragon now known as Yphine embodies Air and Cold, and presides over domains such as Storms, Travel, and the Stars. Her blessings are seen in the momentary calm that leads travelers home, while her wrath is the vicious storm that shatters ships and leaves men for dead. She is the patron of Winter, and the winter solstice is her high holy day in the Tzalteclan. The Frost Moon is her cathedral in the sky, while the stars around it are her gift to Telluris, peppering Kina's darkness like the flakes of the first snowfall. Sacrifices to Yphine demand blood, for it is the warmth that endures her cold, trickled over snow or ice. She is given credit for shaping all that flies in the skies of Telluris, and in her role as Queen of Winter is seen as the most diametrically opposite from Tzetultep. Her chosen people are the Catfolk, in whose image she chose to present herself after the Cataclysm.

Kina: Youngest of the Great Dragons, Kina embodies both Death and Darkness, while her domains include Motherhood, Judgement, and Deception. Her blessings, frightening though they may be, are found in the birthing bed and in the peace of night, while her wrath is felt in the screams of the dying and in miscarriage. She is the patron of Autumn, and the fall equinox is regarded as her highest holy day by the Dragon Cult. The Dark Moon is regarded as her palace, and on the rare occasion it is seen it is viewed as a blessing. Sacrifices to Kina include blood as a symbol of birth, typically soaked in a veil to represent both her sightless justice and the fall of night. Among the four, she created neither beast nor fish nor bird, instead imbuing all three with the gift of pregnancy and birth. She is regarded as the most wounded by Kokotzitzimi's attack during the cataclysm, her warring aspects the manifestation of Kokotzitzimi's lingering corruption and her own pain. In her proper role, she is judge of the souls passing on to the manifold heavens, and is partner to the Silver Lady's psychopomp. Her chosen people are thought to be the Quill.

Silver Lady: Eldest of the Great Dragons born from Tzetultep's wounds, the Silver Lady holds power over Water and Life. Beneath those are domains such as the Harvest,

Enemies
    Radurja:
    Ashmar:

Other
    Lord of Fire:

Spoiler: Organization
    Show
    Coming!

Spoiler: Holy Days
    Show
    The Dragon's Eye Festival: Hosted every 150 years on the day when the three moons align and eclipse the summer solstice above Tzalteclan, the Dragon's Eye Festival is the holiest day in the Tzaltec Dragon Cult. It is marked by nation-wide celebrations and extravagant sacrifices to Tzetultep and the other Great Dragons.
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2015-01-19 at 05:51 AM.

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DoomHat View Post
    It's kind of amusing that Dreadlove is going to be swatted like a fly, but not before he reaches land and causes untold collateral damage from the cross fire of the forces rallied against him alone. What with all those blackpowder bombs being lobbed at him.
    Are you so certain about that? Grizzland is a big place after all, so the vast majority of the country probably won't see a single one of Dreadlove's soldiers.

I didn't realise they were so imminent! They're awesome. As things stand the bonus looks fine to me; <insert normal waffling about probable forthcoming tech revamp here>

I think they got lost in one of the edits, along with all the other generic bonuses. Specialised Cavalry is +1 to both tactical manoeuvring and battle rolls; Special Metal is +2 to battle rolls.
    I've had ten curiosity for a round or two by now as well as a rapidly aging monarch. Best to get it out of the way before he has a sudden heart attack.

Thanks. I'll add those in to my post.

Edit: And before I forget: I'm going to object to Dark's post regarding retribution. As written, it's essentially using a non-action to cripple another person's sovereign. Plus, it is probably godmodding to assume Vizini would be the one to open and read the letter, especially given that Tzalteclan is famed for its assassins.
    Last edited by Elemental; 2015-01-14 at 07:45 AM.

Dragons!

26. - Top - End - #26

Edit: And before I forget: I'm going to object to Dark's post regarding retribution. As written, it's essentially using a non-action to cripple another person's sovereign. Plus, it is probably godmodding to assume Vizini would be the one to open and read the letter, especially given that Tzalteclan is famed for its assassins.
    Agreed, unless is it talked over with Sam. If both parties agree to do it this way, it's fine. If that is the case, I didn't say anything .
    Last edited by WaylanderX; 2015-01-14 at 08:26 AM.
    A swordmaster never backs off, I'll cut you to ribbons with my almighty sabre! CHAOS DANCE!!

Nyllana OotS Avatar by Lord FullBladder, Master of Goblins!

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing to see here
    My Extended Homebrew Sig!

Currently writing a fantasy novel: The Dawn of Life!
    People willing to provide feedback are appreciated

27. - Top - End - #27

Two quick questions:

1. Can naval units attack aquatic regions? Sail over them and drop big rocks like bombers or something?

2. What happens if you conquer a region that you either don't want to or can't add to your realm? Does it go NPC? Become a vassal under your direction? What?
    Prince Fraternal of Pudding, Snuzzlepal, Feezy Squeez Lover, MP, Member of The Most Noble And Ancient Order Of St. George, King of Gae Parabolae.

Lego Ergo Sum

"Everyone's cute if you just look at them the right way"~Rebekah Patton Durham, Princess of Pudding.

"If they have stats, we can kill them... I'd like to point out that we also have stats..." ~ PhoenixGuard09.

Warhammer 40K: Where the faction that is a cross between the Inquisition and Space Nazis are the good guys.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ReaderAt2046 View Post
    Two quick questions:

1. Can naval units attack aquatic regions? Sail over them and drop big rocks like bombers or something?

2. What happens if you conquer a region that you either don't want to or can't add to your realm? Does it go NPC? Become a vassal under your direction? What?
    I've got no idea about the first, though my instinct says yes. I'll let the people who are concerned with that work it out.

As for question the second: It may be reasonable to leave such matters for resolution at the conference table after the war, whether restoring them to their previous owners or establishing a new state which may or may not be a vassal.
    This suggestion is assuming of course that Good Sirs Morph and Quinton allow people to go over the region cap for a short duration until the cessation of hostilities. After all, tedious civic matters like that are often neglected when there are more immediate concerns.

Edit: A reasonable possibility would be to have said regions also be in a state of resistance until the war is over and a Diplomacy Five is used to stabilise them. After all, people aren't always fond of foreign conquerors, no matter their reasons for conquest. This adds the possibility of said region if made an independent state or vassal after the war ends simply turning around and pledging allegiance to their old rulers.
    These sorts of concerns would necessitate the establishment of garrisons and such in conquered territories, after all ensuring a conquered territory remains conquered is often as difficult as conquering it in the first place. I'm just thinking out loud though, so feel free to ignore me.
    Last edited by Elemental; 2015-01-14 at 10:07 AM.

Dragons!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Two quick questions:

You cannot conquest a region that is underwater without Aquatic Units, the same as you cannot attack a Sky Region without Aerial units. Dropping rocks down miles isn't going to work the way you want it to, or be very accurate. And we don't have the tech for dropping mines. The only way for you to combat aquatic units is if the aquatics engage a naval unit, the same way a land unit can't engage a ship unless a ship engages them, like we saw in the last round with Sympolemou being attacked by Naval units.

Usually a claimed region that doesn't fit into you regions becomes NPC. You could also choose to cede it to a land of your choosing, should you not desire it, or can't hold it.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Two quick questions:

Worried about the Makgrull already, huh?
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:
    I've only seen a character at anything resembling this level of absurdity thrive exactly once, and he/she/what-the-jongo had the advantage of being written by Gengy, who I look up to as a writer.

"What-the-Jongo?"
    Before you insult someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, you'll be a mile away, and have their shoes!

Got me a Real Job™ (yay!). Still busy (boo!).
    ~avatar by myself