New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Post Complete List of Action Recharge Times

I was looking for a list of which abilities recharge on a short rest versus a long rest, and I couldn't find any. So I made one! Here it is, for all you DMs with rest balance issues:

Ability Meta-Table

I hope this helps! Any feedback would be appreciated, even (constructively) negative ones. I know that this doesn't include things like hit dice and abilities that recharge for everyone, I didn't think it was necessary. If you want me to add it, just ask. Also, I think some of these might be "at the end of a short/long rest" instead of "once per short/long rest," but I'm not sure. If someone with more rules mastery than me wants to go through and find things like that, feel free. The way I wrote the Uses column is that "ability" means that the exact number of uses is calculated based on an ability score, and therefore varies from character to character, and ∞ means infinite uses. I included these for things like the Barbarian and Druid capstone abilities, so that DMs don't forget that they can ignore those abilities at some point. Enjoy!
    Last edited by jkat718; 2015-01-22 at 02:22 AM. Reason: Messed up the URL formatting, oops! :S
    Spoiler: Current Games
    Show
    Current Live Game: Defenders of Stormfast, "A Brave New World of Adventure" Obsidian Portal
    Current PbP Game: 5th Edition low-level game IC OOC Tracker Map
    Current PbP Game: I6 - Ravenloft IC OOC

Full Signature
    I often post from mobile, so feel free to correct any typos.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Complete List of Actions Recharge Times

***reserved***
    Show
    Current Live Game: Defenders of Stormfast, "A Brave New World of Adventure" Obsidian Portal

Full Signature

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Are there any abilities that take longer than a long rest?

Is there a way to sort by just short rest?

The abilities by class that recharge after a short rest is what I find interesting. I think it would be helpful to see what classes benefit the most from short rests.

Listing the long rest abilities doesn't seem as useful because that is already implied in all abilities right?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ad_hoc View Post

The abilities by class that recharge after a short rest is what I find interesting. I think it would be helpful to see what classes benefit the most from short rests.

Listing the long rest abilities doesn't seem as useful because that is already implied in all abilities right?
    Even listing the abilities doesn't tell the whole story by itself. I mean this is super awesome and I love it.

however, monks only on there once, but it's for Ki points. Since that powers every ability, a monk's relative power is based on how many short rests it can get in.

Warlocks are at the top of the short rest list. then monks, but it's close. Battlemaster fighters then? Moon druids also get their wildshapes back, so I'd actually put them on par with all fighters.

Channel divinity is kind of finicky, depending on your spec, so i'd put certain levels of that above wizards and sorcers, and others along side them.

I would put rangers and rogues at the bottom of that list. I'm not saying they're underpowered, simply that they benefit little for any short rests.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Divine Intervention (7 days)

6. - Top - End - #6

Hit the down arrow next to Recharge, then unmark the other options. Alternatively, after opening the drop down menu, hit "Clear," then recheck Short Rest.

This chart doesn't measure the comparative strength, only recharge time. I don't consider myself well-versed enough in the rules to be an accurate judge of that (also, it would require a lot more work and effort than I have the time--or will--to put in). You're welcome to discuss it here, though.

Not necessarily. This list doesn't include things like raw spellcasting, because it's a different system. It also doesn't include things that are at-will or one-time-use, because that would be the majority of abilities. This list is primarily intended for use by DMs who want to compare which PCs of theirs would benefit from a short versus long rest, and plan their encounters accordingly. It's assumed that the DMs would either know their PCs abilities well enough to judge their strengths or have the PHB and use the provided page references to educate themselves.
    Show

Full Signature