Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default All the Time in the World v.2 OoC

Hello all, this is the OoC thread for the low-Epic campaign All the Time in the World. The protagonists, famous and powerful forces in the world, are called together to investigate a temporal anomaly which is draining the potential of time from the world. The team will have to join forces to figure out the cause of the anomaly and its solution before they're out of time for good. But really, there's no rush, because as they'll soon find, they have all the time in the world.

Player Character Text Color
    Nightraiderx Dyrius the Mechanatrix Swiftblade
    DoctorGlock Cathal the Ruby Knight Vindicator Teal
    Whoiam Desssria the Druid and her Animal Companion, Milah Dark Green
    Lonewolf1210 Rudrik the Illithid Slayer Red and Brown
    Breitheamh Kereth the Scout and cohort Jarhon the Doomguide Dark Gray and Blue

IC thread here

Also, if you don't like how your character's name or class or whatever is portrayed on the table, let me know so I can change it.
    Last edited by Nettlekid; 2015-03-03 at 12:21 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: All the Time in the World v.2 OoC

I'll take this as my text color

How do we all know each other/what are Cathal's reasons for not attempting to kick the crap out of our resident corpse dragon due to having a bad history with corpse dragons?
    I work very irregular hours and usually very long ones at that. If I do not respond to something in a timely manner pester me in an OOC thread. If something big is happening in the Middle East I will probably be busy for a few days because I am the idiot wearing kevlar and interviewing people on the fronts.

Do you like MTG? Do you like Gitp? We have a Discord server for like minded players.

Currently Running: Through the Faerie Ring

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

I'll take Dark Green for my Druid.

So, standard questions starting this sort of game. Anyone want a past meeting with Desssria of some description? And if so, before or after she became NG? (Before only available to those at least 60 years old)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I'll claim purple for Ahti.

And for initial impressions, Vieranis will be using his Change Shape ability to look like a female elf, going by the name of Kaira. Especially with this terrible temporal weather that seems to keep washing off the disguise undead spell. Will that keep Cathal happily ignorant?
    Last edited by Deophaun; 2015-01-13 at 01:26 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Would that work? I'd have thought that Change Shape would have a 1-round duration as well, in much the same way that I don't think Desssria will be wildshaping much during the prologue...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Wild Shape is hours/level. Change Shape lasts until dismissed.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Kereth will speak in Dark Gray, while Jarhon speaks in Blue.

It would keep the followers of the god who hates undead happily ignorant.

I think we would all have heard of each other, at least, considering that we are all famous and powerful forces. However, I'm cool with combining histories.
    Spoiler: My Homebrew
    Show

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Town Square execution.

Fistful of Fate character: Aereck Tarrinsen

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    Wild Shape is hours/level. Change Shape lasts until dismissed.
    does it fool true sight?
    I work very irregular hours and usually very long ones at that. If I do not respond to something in a timely manner pester me in an OOC thread. If something big is happening in the Middle East I will probably be busy for a few days because I am the idiot wearing kevlar and interviewing people on the fronts.

Do you like MTG? Do you like Gitp? We have a Discord server for like minded players.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorGlock View Post
    does it fool true sight?
    That depends. Does nondetection fool true sight? Because I can take care of that with some last minute shopping...

But you don't have true sight as a permanent effect, do you?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

That depends. Does nondetection fool true sight? Because I can take care of that with some last minute shopping...

But you don't have true sight as a permanent effect, do you?
    It's typically persisted. Though I am not sure how that plays into the prologue

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

If I understand the prologue correctly, everything with a measurable duration lasts 1 round. Since persisted effects last for 24 hours normally, they will last for 1 round currently.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

So we postpone any viking on corpse-dragon action until after the prologue, giving us time to come up with in character justification?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Hopefully the fact that he didn't eat you when you were buff-less will be IC justification enough.

14. - Top - End - #14

MindFlayer

Yeah, unless you have specific ties to one another, the most you know is "This is that guy who's well known for this personality and that special power and those things they did that time." Like celebrities who know of each other, basically.

And yes, anything with any duration, even Persisted spells, expire in a single round. The Change Shape which lasts until the user changes into something else would not expire.

So yeah, I guess figure out things in-character? It'll largely boil down to "either we work together or get in each other's way" probably.

EDIT: Oh, and Nondetection does not beat True Sight. Nor does Mind Blank.
    Last edited by Nettlekid; 2015-01-13 at 02:24 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Hopefully the fact that he didn't eat you when you were buff-less will be IC justification enough.
    A buffless fight vs the dragon might be interesting, provided it's in the OOC...

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

A buffless fight vs the dragon might be interesting, provided it's in the OOC...
    Just the dragon you'd win. He's not set up for combat, or really optimized all that much beyond being at the limit of what Ahti can control. That doesn't mean he doesn't think he would win, though.

Edit: And unless someone wants it, since there will be a lot of talking coming from undead things, I'll also take orange for the voice of the damned.
    Last edited by Deophaun; 2015-01-13 at 02:57 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nettlekid View Post
    EDIT: Oh, and Nondetection does not beat True Sight. Nor does Mind Blank.
    yeah, only Cerebral Blind does that

Thanks for choosing me btw.

@combining backgrounds: IŽll read through the other characters tomorrow and try to come up with ideas. But if anyone wants his character to have fought Illithid, duergar and/or Aboleth in the FR Underdark, we could easily know each other.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf1210 View Post
    yeah, only Cerebral Blind does that

Thanks for choosing me btw.

@combining backgrounds: IŽll read through the other characters tomorrow and try to come up with ideas. But if anyone wants his character to have fought Illithid, duergar and/or Aboleth in the FR Underdark, we could easily know each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by whoiam View Post
    I'll take Dark Green for my Druid.

So, standard questions starting this sort of game. Anyone want a past meeting with Desssria of some description? And if so, before or after she became NG? (Before only available to those at least 60 years old)
    I could work in with either of these. Cathal's been around, a lot, and delving into dark places to beat the snot out of ugly monsters is just par for course

19. - Top - End - #19

AssassinGuy

@combining backgrounds: IŽll read through the other characters tomorrow and try to come up with ideas.
    there was a flaw in my plan: I still cannot access mythweaver from work...
    will try again from home

also choosing red as color for Rudrik and brown for my dear Berta
    Last edited by lonewolf1210; 2015-01-14 at 04:01 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Possible Rudrik tie-in:

Ahti's last adventure took place in the Underdark, as Vieranis's backstory shows. But, that was a drow thing rather than a dispute with the seafood buffet. However, Vieranis was with the drow for a long, long time, and he would have had to deal with those kinds of creatures even before he got the idea to infiltrate drow society. He might make for an interesting encounter early in Rudrik's career, if Rudrik ever had the misfortune to be captured by a drow hunting party. He might have seen Rudrik as an opportunity to take care of a bothersome aboleth, earning Vieranis some esteem among the Houses, while also keeping the nearby dwarven kingdom a strong rival to the powers he wanted in check by preserving one of their champions.

It wouldn't have been a particularly nice meeting. Vieranis would have had to make a believable play at breaking Rudrik--torture first, ask favors later--and he certainly wouldn't have let Rudrik know he intended to let him escape. That would be a security risk if the dwarf was recaptured.

Of course, Rudrik would not recognize Vieranis in his dragon form (especially undead), but that elf that hangs around Ahti sure has an uncanny resemblance to the drow priestess Rudrik made a deal with.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

So, from Desssria's perspective...

Spoiler: Kereth and Jarhon
    Show

I don't think she'd have run across them much in the 3 years or so since they teamed up. Although we could have spent the airship ride over together (that's how she'll be arriving - someone with her 'flaw' isn't going to have asked a Wizard for a teleport, after all!) if you'd like.

Spoiler: Kereth
    Show

I can see a couple of places where they might have met before. First option is during Kereth's time with the Orcs.

Spoiler: Orcs!
    Show
    You gave no explanation why such a successful tribe of raiders suddenly stopped raiding for food. I'd certainly be happy to say the reason was something along the lines of:
    • Desssria is hired by a nearby human settlement to try and stop the orc attacks
    • She goes to meet the orc tribe
    • The tribe tells her they raid because they'd starve otherwise
    • Desssria teaches them to find or create enough of their own food
    • The orcs stop raiding human settlements in turn

After all, Desssria herself used to slaughter civilian populations - and with much less reason than those Orcs had - so her dealing with them peacefully to get the attacks to stop is entirely possible...

Second place is during his mercenary career. They would have both been mercs during that time (albeit in different specializations) and they could well have worked a job or two together.

(Not the one which stopped him being a merc, though. At the time, Desssria would have been at 20th or 21st level already, and with one of the world's most powerful Druids backing his moral stand up (because she would have done) that mission would have ended very differently.)

Spoiler: Jarhon
    Show

Unless they shared an airship over to the island, I doubt they would have met before. But Desssria would have shown up even more in the stories Jarhon used to read as a kid than Kereth would have - she'd been adventuring for about twice as long as Kereth's been alive, so she's just done a lot more.

She does less undead slaying, though. And the alignment differences (and lack of the leadership feat) means she's not going to be fighting for Jarhon's allegiance anytime soon...

Spoiler: Rudrik
    Show

Nothing fancy, here. Going by your quoted 120 year age and the time Rudrik spent in the army, Rudrik and Desssria have probably been mercs for about the same length of time (~60 years). Plenty of chance for them to have run across one another, so long as it wasn't during the dragon-slaying expedition. It would ruin her whole character concept if she was to suffer retroactive death by Dragon...

Spoiler: Cathal
    Show

Well, you're old enough to have known Desssria in her first life. And you'd be one of the few clerics in all the world of a high enough level to have been the supplier of her miracle... Would you be happy with that? Me swapping the 'bribed a random high priest' explanation for how she got back to the 'adult' age category when she was in her 90s (ish) for a 'heard rumours about Cathal once she finally left her forest, and went after the Immortal Man to find her second chance...' explanation? It works better than my original idea, I think. I just wasn't going to put another PC in my backstory until I knew who I'd be playing with.

Spoiler: Ahti and Vieranis
    Show

...Honestly, I can't see any reason why Ahti and Desssria meeting before the start of play would be a good idea. Regardless of what you've written on the sheet, there's no way that the NG Druid wouldn't see the fear-obsessed necromancer as more or less pure evil.

The best reason that Desssria would be willing to work alongside her is that, well... she didn't know Ahti before they started working together. Because if she did know Ahti, this party would only have one of them in it. Quite possibly Ahti, I'll admit, but still only one of them.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Cathal
    Show

Well, you're old enough to have known Desssria in her first life. And you'd be one of the few clerics in all the world of a high enough level to have been the supplier of her miracle... Would you be happy with that? Me swapping the 'bribed a random high priest' explanation for how she got back to the 'adult' age category when she was in her 90s (ish) for a 'heard rumours about Cathal once she finally left her forest, and went after the Immortal Man to find her second chance...' explanation? It works better than my original idea, I think. I just wasn't going to put another PC in my backstory until I knew who I'd be playing with.

That works, especially if it was part of cathal trying to understand the nature of his immortality, and working with another high level figure might have yielded some research

EDIT: Can I use scrying effects to set targets for greater plane shift? I know this is not a planar campaign, but between etherealness and greater shift I can sort of replicate teleportation without burning miracles, which are expensive.
    Last edited by DoctorGlock; 2015-01-14 at 09:44 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Spoiler: Ahti and Vieranis
    Show

...Honestly, I can't see any reason why Ahti and Desssria meeting before the start of play would be a good idea. Regardless of what you've written on the sheet, there's no way that the NG Druid wouldn't see the fear-obsessed necromancer as more or less pure evil.

The best reason that Desssria would be willing to work alongside her is that, well... she didn't know Ahti before they started working together. Because if she did know Ahti, this party would only have one of them in it. Quite possibly Ahti, I'll admit, but still only one of them.
    Now now, Ahti is no murderer, and does not vanquish everyone she finds at her feet. Otherwise, there would be no temples of Kord left standing.

That said, Desssria is the best wilderness guide. Maybe Ahti tried to hire her to help track down a lost city long since reclaimed by jungle. I'm thinking something to do with Ahti's Black Lore of Moil feat. Desssria found the creepy lady that spoke through a creepy bird to be a bit too creepy and decided to pass on the offer. Or Desssria decided to help against her best instincts. Or maybe she set out to find the city before Ahti, and deny the witch's prize.

Hmm. I like the later. And in that case, let's say Desssria succeeded. She destroyed the lost knowledge/portal/whatever by bringing down the ceiling of a ruined temple. It is a desperate act, though, and Desssria probably should have died. Instead, she woke up the next morning in the local tavern, having been told that a strange woman paid for the room before departing.

Does that give Desssria a reason not to think Ahti is pure evil?

24. - Top - End - #24

AssassinGuy

EDIT: Can I use scrying effects to set targets for greater plane shift? I know this is not a planar campaign, but between etherealness and greater shift I can sort of replicate teleportation without burning miracles, which are expensive.
    You guys know that Rudric can teleport you just fine, right?

EDIT: btw: Does anyone want me to buy a pair of Ring of "Friend Shield" and take one of them to be continually under a "shield other" effect from me? (needs a free ring slot)
    Last edited by lonewolf1210; 2015-01-14 at 10:46 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25

MindFlayer

That works, especially if it was part of cathal trying to understand the nature of his immortality, and working with another high level figure might have yielded some research

Yes, you can use Scrying and Plane Shift to that effect. It would take two Plane Shifts per cast though, since you can't shift to the plane you're currently on.

EDIT: Oh, or Etherealness, as you pointed out.
    Last edited by Nettlekid; 2015-01-14 at 11:01 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Now now, Ahti is no murderer, and does not vanquish everyone she finds at her feet. Otherwise, there would be no temples of Kord left standing.

That said, Desssria is the best wilderness guide. Maybe Ahti tried to hire her to help track down a lost city long since reclaimed by jungle. I'm thinking something to do with Ahti's Black Lore of Moil feat. Desssria found the creepy lady that spoke through a creepy bird to be a bit too creepy and decided to pass on the offer. Or Desssria decided to help against her best instincts. Or maybe she set out to find the city before Ahti, and deny the witch's prize.

Hmm. I like the later. And in that case, let's say Desssria succeeded. She destroyed the lost knowledge/portal/whatever by bringing down the ceiling of a ruined temple. It is a desperate act, though, and Desssria probably should have died. Instead, she woke up the next morning in the local tavern, having been told that a strange woman paid for the room before departing.

Does that give Desssria a reason not to think Ahti is pure evil?
    To the same extent that someone having their life saved by a demon is likely to think 'Wow, that demon's sure a nice person!' and not 'I've got to figure out what nefarious plan the demon has that requires me to continue living. Whatever it is, it really can't be good!'.

Because necromancers (as in, those that create and utilize undead, not those who use spells from the school) are right up the top of the list of things Desssria would consider abominations - higher even than many of the things that actually are abominations. The creepiness and the obsession with spreading fear aren't going to help her case, but the arcane magic - and especially what you do with it - are why she'll despise you.

Oddly enough, the fact that you don't kill people very often won't win you many brownie points here. Desssria will just see it as cruelty on your part - preferring to see people suffer rather than simply killing them. She's not remotely pacifist herself, being a strong believer in improving a population overall by the death of its worst members. (A belief she can only hold at NG by a) not actively causing said deaths except in defense of the self or of other, 'better' population members and b)Judging 'worst' in a manner that's generally synonymous with 'most evil'. Back in her first lifetime, when neither of those points applied yet, she would most likely have been NE.)

This, you see, is why I say that they really shouldn't have run into each other before. The more Desssria knows about Ahti, the more likely she is to just attack Ahti on sight. Better to let them learn about each other during the adventure, so that they're already working together on this whole 'saving the world' thing by the time Desssria gets a good look at any of Ahti's birds...

And before you ask, Old Desssria would also hate Young Desssria if they ever met.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

To the same extent that someone having their life saved by a demon is likely to think 'Wow, that demon's sure a nice person!' and not 'I've got to figure out what nefarious plan the demon has that requires me to continue living. Whatever it is, it really can't be good!'.

It's a secret.

28. - Top - End - #28

AssassinGuy

@DoctorGlock: Im glancing at all character sheets now and I noticed something: Spell immunity on Dispel Magic & Family doesnt work
    Spell Immunity technically gives you Spell Resistance Infinite against those spells, but dispel magic & similar spells ignore Spell resistance

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

@DoctorGlock: Im glancing at all character sheets now and I noticed something: Spell immunity on Dispel Magic & Family doesnt work
    Spell Immunity technically gives you Spell Resistance Infinite against those spells, but dispel magic & similar spells ignore Spell resistance
    Seriously? Bugger. Well, that's more turnings to spend on other stuff.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Seriously? Bugger. Well, that's more turnings to spend on other stuff.
    I suggest saving them. One greater dispel magic and you can be out for the day.