Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default All the Time in the World v.2

"We're out of time!"
    This was the complain issued by the Material Plane's most prestigious scholars, mages, and astronomers to dozens of world nobles and governmental officials the world over.
    "Well there's no deadline, I should hope. Work hard, find results."
    "No, those ARE the results. We are literally running out of time."

The phenomenon was first observed when constellations began to appear out-of-season. Day and night each began to lose first minutes, then hours, as the sun and moon sped through the sky and colored it the permanent pale orange of repeating dawn and dusk. The seasons themselves started to appear earlier than normal, and summer's heat and winter's chill became more bearable as neither lasted all that long. While mortal creatures seemed unaged by the accelerating timestream, the lifetime of anything impermanent flashed by in moments. There was no stability to weather and the crops wouldn't grow when winter came every few minutes. Kindled fires burned out. Spells cast to last for hours terminated in seconds. Druids shifted into animal form lapsed in concentration immediately. Frenzied warriors felt unable to maintain their fervor for more than a breath. And assassins felt not entirely dissatisfied to find that their poisons' delayed effects were now taking effect instantaneously.

Despite the protest of the assassins, the consensus was that this couldn't continue. But this was an issue that no one knew how to approach. This wasn't a matter that a beadle would just slap up a few posters on a tavern door and hope that plucky adventurers would take up the challenge. World nobles agreed that they couldn't waste what little time they had. They would send notice to champions tried and true. To those who had slain dragons, razed cities, destroyed demons, tamed nature, and stared down gods and god-killers themselves. Mortals beyond morality, these were the vessels in which the hopes of the future were placed.

With the aid of three Gnomes looking to earn a degree, a system of ropes and winches, sextants, a chemical sprayer filled with Quintessence, and an abundance of Tindertwigs, the temporal dilation was more accurately measured. It was not by any means uniform, and the location of the greatest distortion was identified. An isolated island one thousand miles across, ridged with mountains risen from tectonic motion millennia ago. While all sorts of creatures lived in the mountainous region leading into the sea, the land within is barren and inhospitable for any creature that either cannot produce its own means of sustenance or is unhindered by physical limitations such as eating. Archaeologists and anthropologists have long studied the ruins in the island valley, reflections of an ancient civilization, but no report has (at least obviously) contained information pertaining to the current temporal dilemma. This is history in the making.

Spoiler
    Show
    So there's the leadup. I'm thinking about starting a little "in medias res," assuming everyone's met to at least some degree and is informed as to why they're here, just to speed it up a little. Feel free to have whatever dialogue you'd like though, to establish character relations and such. You'll access the island by whatever means you like, be it airship or teleport, and so this can start as you're approaching, and you can spend as much time as you want in preparation. Like a checkpoint before a final boss kind of feeling.

OoC Thread Here
    Last edited by Nettlekid; 2015-01-13 at 01:06 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: All the Time in the World v.2

Three pairs of hooves set down on the island. Ahti could tell the journey had been disconcerting for Kek, used as he was to traversing through the shadows. The strange affliction seemed to allow him only the briefest of moments in his preferred realm. For much of the journey he had been forced to carry her through the Material. He was more restless than ever, as if he was frustrated by the slow pace.

It didn't help matters that Vieranis had beaten them here. Ahti could hear the ecalypse's wounded pride grumbling in her head as the dragon, veiled as an elf, approached.

Ahti dismounted and gave a reassuring touch on Kek's muzzle. It was expected, given the circumstances. After the dragon's suggestion, giving him time to scout the area before she arrived could save valuable time.

"Mistress," Vieranis spoke without the practiced courtesies he feigned in the presence of others, believing them reasonably alone. Ahti awaited his report.

Spoiler
    Show
    If Vieranis was able to do any scouting, here are some spot checks. Otherwise, if there are any temporal issues, such as him virtually arriving at the same time as Ahti and Kek despite having nearly double the speed (let's say he rushed ahead an hour out?), or physical barriers, what complications did he come across?

Spot:
    (1d20+27)[45]
    (1d20+27)[36]
    (1d20+27)[31]
    (1d20+27)[42]

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Time is a curious thing. Cyclical, it repeats itself. Nothing new can occur under the sun that has not happened before. The same stories and archetypes play out with new names, but the themes stay the same. Thus the Edda taught us, thus must it be.

'But the cycle has broken,' muttered the rune-weaver. 'And it is not yet time for ragnarok to fall again.' The raven on his shoulder spat out a hoarse mocking cry. 'Begone with you,' the man spat and with a flick of his wrist tossed the bird airborne. 'Thrice circle and return, and tell me what you see,' he ordered, voice echoing off the stones of the blasted moor. The raven gave the rune-weaver a reproachful glare before flitting away into the grey dawn.

A messenger had found him on a desolate peak and told him the Edda was wrong. And his runes were warped and the prose had failed him, his chants dies upon his lips and his magic, usually unerring, turned to dust on the morning air. What was he to do?

He tossed his runes but the divinations gave no solace. With time shattered, the future was unclear. But there was always a source...

He chanted the runes of the blessing-way and walked sideways from the world, to appear in the inhospitable wastes. Where time was broken.

It galled him that he did not have the right rune to answer all his questions. It galled him more that he had to rely on the cursed bird right now, his words and incantations shattered as they were. Still, he had to start somewhere. And, a ray of sunlight in a cloudy sky, his pursuers could not rely on their witchcraft either.

As if to spite him, from above came the mocking cry of ravens again. Cathal sighed and began to make his way down the path.
    I work very irregular hours and usually very long ones at that. If I do not respond to something in a timely manner pester me in an OOC thread. If something big is happening in the Middle East I will probably be busy for a few days because I am the idiot wearing kevlar and interviewing people on the fronts.

Do you like MTG? Do you like Gitp? We have a Discord server for like minded players.

Currently Running: Through the Faerie Ring

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

On the beach of the Island, a heavy dwarf with an even heavier armor plop into existance and immediately sink a foot into the wet sand, just as a rough wave comes in and hits him up to his waist.

Great. It´ll take days to get all that sand out again.

Without moving an inch, Rudrik Goldhammer looks out and sees his intended teleport location 300ft further inland, where he sees a couple of figures already assembling, probably the rest of this group. For a second he considers using another teleport to get there to get out of this sand quicker but then dismisses the idea.
    The fracking sand is all in there already
    So he starts trotting towards the others, with no particular haste. Despite his face beeing totally covered by his helmet, someone who knows Rudrik would read from his body language alone that he is particulary grumpy today. Usually a rather jovial fellow, today he hated beeing dragged away from home. It is his 120th birthday today and rather than spending it with his big family he was somehow guilt-tripped into saving the world. AGAIN! That his good waraxe Berta was much more cheerful about the situation didnt help the situation much, but maybe splitting the heads of a couple of enemies would.

As he finally reaches the others, the only thing he does to greet them could charitably be described as a grunt. After that he silently stands there waiting impaitiently for the rest of the group to arrive and doesnt speak unless spoken to.
    Last edited by lonewolf1210; 2015-01-15 at 09:30 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

An airship, held aloft by an enormous tank of light gases, and piloted by a gnome who smiles into the wind, lands ponderously on the edge of the sand, lowering a rickety plank to allow its passengers off.

Two men, one dressed in shining white armor and the other so completely covered in black that he could pass for the first man's shadow step on to the splintering, makeshift gangplank. As the first man eagerly starts running down to the beach, the second follows cautiously, almost hesitantly. When the first man loses his footing and nearly falls twenty feet to the beach, in the blink of an eye, the shadow is there, pulling him back up.

"Easy, Jarhon. This is unlike anything we have ever faced before."

"Thanks for the save, but I'm fine. Cheer up, Kereth. It's an honor to be selected for this quest."

The shadowy man, Kereth, smiles. "Indeed."

As they approach the others already gathered on the beach, Kereth pulls the balaclava off of his mouth to speak clearly. He smiles sheepishly and bows, knowing that he is among the greatest heroes of the age, and in some cases, of many more as well.

"Greetings, my fellows. I am Kereth Longstrider, and this is my companion, J--"

"Jarhon! ....Sorry," the young man beside Kereth interjects awkwardly.

Kereth smiles again, more comfortable this time. He may have been a little starstruck, but Jarhon had no idea what to do with himself. "Yes, Jarhon. We are honored to be part of such a company."
    Spoiler: My Homebrew
    Show

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Town Square execution.

Fistful of Fate character: Aereck Tarrinsen

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

There are things you expect to be doing when you sign up to a given career. One becoming a soldier expects to fight. A sailor to sail. For a Druid... well, let's just say that 'trying to push a Tiger that weighs 20 times as much as you do down a rickety gangplank' was, while technically possible, not on the 'expected' list.

Milah had gotten onto the airship readily enough (she'd been promised the chance to sleep through the journey), but that had been at an actual dock. This was... well, Milah wasn't the only one having second thoughts about using it. Still, she wasn't about to go back and tell the rest of the world she'd decided to leave it to it's fate because she didn't want to risk spraining her tiger's ankle, was she?

With a little cajoling (and a muttered suggestion of the application of fire to Milah's tail), she got her moving. Alas, sending the tiger first turned out to be a poor choice on Desssria's part, as Milah's weight was far too much for the improvised structure.

"Nonlethal damage for 20 foot fall onto soft ground" - (2d6)[5]

Of course, that meant that Desssria couldn't go down the same way. Not now the 'landing area' was filled with wood fragments, splinters, and angry dire tiger. Instead, she jumped off the other side of the airship, straight into the water.

Were those on the beach watching (which, given the falling tiger a moment earlier, they may well be), they'd notice she was actually pretty good at both diving, and swimming, easily bringing herself to shore safely outside of Milah's annoyed lunge range. Sadly, this meant she'd have to introduce herself to her colleagues smelling awfully like damp fur...

Feline: "Follow along, Milah. No point washing the sand out of your fur until we're off the beach, you'll just collect more if we do."

Together (well, more parallel than together - Desssria knew Milah probably wouldn't attack her properly, but even a tiger's play bites were painful enough), the two felines made their way down the beach after Kereth and Jarhon.

As they approached the group, each of them went to a familiar face. (Well, other than the two they'd just shared an airship with, obviously). Milah followed a scent she remembered from a couple of years back - that of a certain helmeted dwarf who seemed in an even worse mood than she was. Stalking around the group until she was facing him, Milah lowered her head to just above the ground, stared him right in the... helmet... and let out a surprisingly playful growl.

Desssria instead headed for someone she hadn't seen since long before she picked up her tiger. The little catfolk didn't appear to have aged a day since first meeting Cathal. But that was hardly impressive, considering that she could say exactly the same about him. It was sixty years since she'd tracked down the immortal man to bargain for her second chance in life. So upon meeting him again... she bowed. "Do I still look so evil to your eyes, honoured one?" She hadn't been a very good person when they'd first met. She'd had to plead for her chance at redemption. And honestly, she'd be looking forward to seeing if Cathal thought she had, in fact, used her second chance wisely...
    Last edited by whoiam; 2015-01-15 at 07:50 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Honored one...

The voice echoed across decades. Yes it had been decades, hadn't it? He had seen good men wither and feed the earth in that time, thought it felt like only weeks. Sixty years...

...She knelt in the circle, the symbol of Ouroboros, the self devouring serpent, that he had etched for that purpose. His immortal blood ran down the gleaming woven steel of Ulfbehrt's blade, filling the etchings on the ground and the ancient silver chalice in the circle. The wan light of the solstice moon hung over the looming runestone that marked where a temple had stood so long ago...

The ghost of a smile touched Cathal's bearded face. 'Looks mean little, but your deeds have spoken loud. It is not many who truly choose to recast their role in the Edda, preferring to let history run its courses and carry them along in a ship of excuses. It is good to see that you have picked differently. This role suits you better than monster.'

Cathal looked round at the others.

'Your tales have reached this one's ears as well, hunter, warrior,' Cathal spoke, nodding to Kereth and Rudric in turn. 'Not by chance do our walks all bring us to this place in the now. This cursed land has broken the cycle of time, and I have no answers for once. Perhaps you know more than I?'

Spoiler: Ahti
    Show
    I'd have addressed ahti too, but I am assuming she is on another side of the island since you specified being reasonably alone
    Last edited by DoctorGlock; 2015-01-15 at 10:24 PM.
    I work very irregular hours and usually very long ones at that. If I do not respond to something in a timely manner pester me in an OOC thread. If something big is happening in the Middle East I will probably be busy for a few days because I am the idiot wearing kevlar and interviewing people on the fronts.

Do you like MTG? Do you like Gitp? We have a Discord server for like minded players.

8. - Top - End - #8

MindFlayer

The desert valley is eerie in the orange light of the eternally rising and setting sun. From your position, you can see the crumbling columns of old structures, sandstone and quartz reinforced with rusted metal rods within. Faint umbral cones flicker at the base of these pillars as the shadow moves from the sun crossing the sky in these one-second days. Apart from these structures, the land is perfectly flat like salt plains and you can see the silhouettes of creatures who are not deterred from "living" here due to their own lack of life. There are a few Allips babbling in the distance, their madness sparing them from boredom. A circle of Wraiths are flocking from ruin to ruin, unsure if they're really all that uncomfortable by the repeated moments of sunlight but trying to find the persistent shade nonetheless. Upon closer inspection, many of the ruined pillars are covered in Clockroaches. The infrequent break in the perfectly flat land is a trough made by the dragging arms of a Slaughterstone Eviscerator that occasionally digs in the compacted earth. A patient Quarut marches after it, looking at its hourglasses and picking at the dirt left in the Slaughterstone Eviscerator's wake. In the distance, the towering figure of an infernal Retriever strides the land, searching for some unknown target.

The Gnomes have detailed the means by which you can hunt down the general direction of the focus of the anomaly, using timed Tindertwigs burning down, and they've given you a supply of Tindertwigs for that purpose. But the government officials hiring you have made clear that each of you has autonomy, and may take action as you see fit so long as you strive to solve this dilemma.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Kereth and Jarhon only recieve a slight nod from Rudrik, but his Axe Berta, which he has been using as kind of a walking stick, greets the familiar faces.

Kereth! Jarhon! nice to see you again! Tell me: Did you have any more exciting adventures since we last saw each other? Slew any more dangerous monsters?

Rudrik frowns under his helmet and telepathically commands Berta:

Not now! You can catch up with them later if you truly desire, but now we should focus at the task at hand!
    You really are becoming unbearably antisocial the older you get. I guess that 13th decade is really hitting you hard...
    hmmpf!

Dessrias and especially Milahs appearance made more of an impact to Rudrik. Milahs growl actually makes him take of the helm and produces somthing that could almost be described as a smile on Rudriks Face.
    "Nah old girl? has she been feeding you alright?
    Almost looks like you could loose a couple of pounds. At least the plank behind you thought so. If you continue eating like this, one day you´re gonna get as immobile as der Berta here."

Uncalled for...

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Ahti and the elven handmaiden turn at the sound of the tiger splashing out of the airship, in time to see the new arrivals trudge towards their position. From the descriptions the gnomes gave them, this must be the party they were asked to join. As the others near, the elf steps forward and bows her head.

"On behalf of the Lady Ahti, I bid you welcome. My name is Kaira, Speaker for the Lady for as long as these troubles persist." Kaira pauses and gives a nervous look to Ahti before she continues. "We are honored by your presence and look forward to hearing this tale on the lips of every bard for centuries to come."

The elf lifts her head and stares at the group directly. "Though we do have a long way to travel, and I'm afraid it looks as though time has lost its patience," she says, gesturing to the rapidly spinning sky. "So if those centuries are not to slip by, let us move."

The elf turns and begins to walk, then goes temporarily rigid and spins back to face you. "After you have finished your introductions and have suitably rested, of course," she says with a painful smile.

Spoiler
    Show

Vieranis's Arcana check on the Quarut (1d20+28)[38]
    For fun, Ahti's check on the Quarut (1d20+7)[21]
    ...with possible assist from Thoth (1d20+6)[12]

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Jarhon laughs as the Axe begins talking to them. "Yes, we have. Many adventures, and many monsters. Some more exciting than others. But how have you been? Have you lost weight? I could have taken you for a halberd!" he jokes.

Kereth rolls his eyes, gives Rudrik a gruff nod, and bows once more to Cathal before turning to Ahti. "If it's all the same to you, I'd rather speak to you in person than through Kaira. I'm sure she's very nice, but I prefer to know exactly who my allies are." He extends his hand in greeting. "I must confess, I do not know as much about you as the others, though I have heard some tales of your exploits, and I must once again say that I am honored to be considered worthy of the company of such titans."

When the exchange is over (Ahti has responded in some way) he turns back to the group. "So, are Tindertwigs really our best option, or does anyone have any other ideas for tracking the anomaly?"
    Show

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Town Square execution.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Desssria

"Just for that comment, I may have to show you the Cryohydra form..." Despite the words, Desssria was grinning broadly as she straightened out from her bow. But with the party discussions getting underway, she'd have to postpone the rest of her catching up for later.

Quickly she reaches into one of her haversack's side pockets to retrieve a small stone (if anyone's actually watching her, she's making no effort to disguise the fact it is a Pearl of Speech), and toss it over to Milah.

Turning back to face the others, Desssria drops back into the conversation just after Kereth asks about the Tindertwigs. "As I understood from my briefing, any magical, psionic or alchemical effect can be used to track the anomoly. We just have to set several of them off simultaneously, and the one closest to the anomoly is the one that runs out fastest. May as well use the Tindertwigs, really. We'll have to set five or six off at once to get a decent direction, and if we tried doing that with regular magic we'll blow through what we've prepared far too quickly for too little gain.

Besides, every tindertwig we don't use is one we have to carry around, and it's not as though we're being offered a bonus to bring spares back, are we?
    "

Milah
    The tiger just stared at Rudrik as he spoke to her. Dessria had taught her to understand a language, true, but that language was Feline, not Common. She had no idea what the dwarf was saying. Still, her attempt to look like she was actually listening to what he was saying (there was a smile but no major gestures, so she guessed she wasn't being asked to do anything) was interrupted by a small object landing nearby.

Milah recognised it as one of Desssria's Pearls of Speech. Assuming it's the Common one, Milah bounded over to it and scooped it up with her tongue. Moments later, she turned back to face Rudrik. She was listening in to the others' conversations now, mostly to see if they mentioned anything around the magical words (such as 'lunch', 'dinner', 'snack'...).

But that wouldn't stop her greeting the dwarf properly. Tail up, saunter over to him, and it's sniffing time! Priority one: Check that he hasn't found himself a new cat in the time they'd been apart. She'd 'hate' to have to run a rival off. Absolutely 'hate' it...

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Ahti accepts Kereth's hand. She does not speak.

"The lady apologizes and asks for your understanding," Kaira says. "Her words are her weapons, as deadly as any arrow in your quiver. She does not loose them lightly, and never at those she would call 'friend.'"

"And to find the source, what better way than to ask the residents?"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

A low and savage chuckle rolled out of the elder's throat at Desssria words. 'That I'll have to see, it's been a while since I had a good wrestle...' he said before turning his attention back to the group.

'This continent is a thousand miles across, I do not much fancy having to scour the whole thing, though I've nothing but time. Given a day to consider my runes I could likely find a path, but perhaps our advance scouts might have a word sooner,' Cathal said, extending and arm, as with a hoarse cry his raven landed on it and began to croak.

Spoiler: Anything?
    Show
    Did it see anything Nettle?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Ahti mounts the six-legged horse, which starts to walk inland at a leisurely pace. As they move, the woman reaches into her belt and withdraws an instrument of some sort; a rod with metal chimes. Ahti plays a rhythmic set of three beats, followed by a pause, before repeating.

Spoiler
    Show
    DC 15 Perform check on sistrum of the restful soul. (1d20+15)[22]

Kaira speaks to the group before turning to follow her mistress. "If you are satisfied, the Lady and I will ask the walking amalgam of timepieces for answers. If we know where to go, even if but a name, you will find Kek," she motions to the black beast ridden by Ahti, [color=orange]"has an uncanny sense of direction."[/quote]

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Cathal grunts. 'Or that also works,' he says, following the six legged beast.

17. - Top - End - #17

MindFlayer

The raven sees nothing more than has already been described.

As you start heading in that direction, the Quarut looks up from the stones. "Hold on a moment," it ticks. The stone it holds is a piece of quartz.
    It glances toward the closest Allip, which babbles "Ippi abba wuulywot f'teee!"
    The Clockroaches on the nearest column shiver and scurry, and one falls off on the left side.
    The Quarut looks back to you, then back to the ground dejectedly.
    "It's one of these ones then. Disappointing. Well then, good day and night, you who are freshly meeting me for the first time."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

"Well met, time keeper," Kaira begins. "We have come from distant lands, and seek..." she pauses as a thought occurs to her and glances up, watching the sun and moon chase each other. "Could it be that simple?" she asks her herself, and then whispers something to Ahti. The human female nods her head in response, and a low grumbling comes from the beast beneath her.

"I'm sorry," Kaira says to the quarut. "'One of these?' Have there been others before us?"

Spoiler
    Show

Kek uses find the path to locate "the end of time."

19. - Top - End - #19

MindFlayer

The Quarut looks at the party.
    "Technically no. There have been no other groups that have passed this way before you. At least not for as long as I have been waiting here."

Spoiler
    Show
    Find the Path does not react. It does not seem to register "the end of time" as a valid destination.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Kereth raises an eyebrow. "What do you know of our purpose here and now, time-keeper?"
    Show

Town Square execution.

21. - Top - End - #21

MindFlayer

"Purpose? You have no purpose here and now. Here and then, maybe, once you're in a position to understand what I can tell you. But I won't go into it, not while it has no meaning to you. Even my patience is not infinite, and such is the degree to which it is being tested. I will not have this first conversation with you again, but I will have the second conversation when you come back this way. For now, what you seek is in the dead center of the island. You will see its shadow before you see it, for the siphoning of time warps the very space. Such is not its intention, but there is much harm that comes of its recklessness. You will have to see it for yourself before you understand."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Kaira takes in the quarut's words. She is confused at first, and then a realization sets in. She looks to Ahti, as if expecting something, but the woman's expression has not changed. Kaira doesn't know if it is from confidence or ignorance. But she does hear Kek begin to grumble a second time.

"The lady thanks you," Kaira says and bows. "Again."

Spoiler
    Show

Kek uses find the path to locate the center of the island. If the spatial warp interferes with the spell, Ahti will begin pulling the destination point twenty miles towards them.
    Last edited by Deophaun; 2015-01-19 at 04:45 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

MindFlayer

The center of the island is to the northwest. The Quarut points in that direction, to support this.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I need you guys to do stuff so I can tell you how it goes and what happens.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

"The journey before us is long. We should make haste," Kaira says to the group. "Unless one of you possesses the means to shorten the distance."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

'this first conversation with you again,'

That was troubling. Time was cyclical, certainly, but just how broken was it here...

'How many times before?' Cathal asked. 'And describe for me the place, so that we may be in position to play our parts again... perhaps to a different outcome.'

26. - Top - End - #26

MindFlayer

"We have spoken 75023 times previously. This marks the 75024th. You will remember this conversation when you have the next, the 75025th. You always seem to remember any encounter immediately preceding one whose number marks the sum of the previous two encounters in which you remembered the preceding encounter. I believe this to be coincidence based on whimsy and not an element of design.

Part of the world remembers you being there and so it will take you there now, should you decide to go. You will. The center of the island is a shallow bowl one meter below the sea level we stand at now. The sandstone is bleached by the sun. The sky above is filled with gathering clouds, for clouds fall into a zone of still time and cannot move to escape. It is dark for the same reason, light does not leave the slow time.

Your outcome will be the same. Because it was, it always will be. You will fight, and you will fail. You may die if it is willed, but your deaths have been short and unimportant. But you are proud, and you believe yourselves to stand a chance. You will not bow down until you witness the gravity of the threat firsthand.
    "

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Cathal did his best to suppress an eye twitch. That explanation sounded suspiciously like math. He hated math.

'Time should not be that cyclical,' he muttered. 'Never was much for bowing. Not one for dying either. Was always one for kicking something's ass up between its ears when called for though, and you did imply a fight. Not often without my runes though... and if we lost seventy-five thousand times before... actually, how did we lose those times before?'

28. - Top - End - #28

MindFlayer

"I have insufficient data to explain it to you. 74999 times, you had no memory of the encounter, as it had yet to happen. The other 24 times there was little you could explain apart from recognizing that you were being toyed with. You were understandably angry.

I would also like to correct a misinterpretation that you have voiced to me previously, Cathal, since you will remember the next time. Time is not cyclical. It is entirely linear from beginning to end. Any perceived cyclicity is merely a stage in the process of the journey between beginning and end. The end of time is more complicated that you give it credit. I know you, the Last Man, have lived many lifetimes. You believe the world you enter into to be the same as that you depart from. This is not so. The new world is one that follows the old one. The new will be followed by a newer, and the old was preceded by an older. Within the world, they appear to be repeating, but they are only instances of a series. I am loathe to admit it, but it understands this far better than even I.

Once you finish your fool's errand, you would be wise to remember what I've just told you. I believe your future success may hinge on it.
    "

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Cathal grunted again. Philosophy later, answers now.

If our choices lead us back here afterwards, why not dispense with whatever it is altogether and move on from the important conversation that leads to future success?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

"Whether it happened seventy times before or seventy times seventy thousand, there is nothing foolish about it. You said that you don't know how we were defeated, but next time we will remember. It would be foolish not to go, and squander the opportunity to learn what we are up against."