Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default A Duel of Duelists

So, shall we have an introduction, or get straight to the battle?

In any case, might as well roll Initiative now (1d20+4)[16]
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: A Duel of Duelists

Let's have a little RP. I was thinking perhaps they met in the shop of the merchant who sold their rings to Gaedren and got to bickering because Leah isn't much of one for working with others.

If you're okay with that, then I feel we could do some banter beforehand.

Initiative: (1d20+5)[10]

Leah strides out of the shop, and wheels to face the other girl.
    I told you, I will deal with him on my own. Tell me where to find you and I'll bring you your ring while I'm at it.
    Valinia is fastened at her hip, the ornate guard of the sword failing to conceal that Leah has placed a hand on the grip.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Kelon by nijashe

Extended Sig

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Natsumi, in her human guise, glares icily at the girl in response. "And I told you that he's mine. And I'll just buy the ring back with whatever the old bastard has managed to steal when I'm looting his corpse."

Seeing Leah's hand at her blade however, she scoffs, "I doubt you even know how to use that thing, pretty little highborn brat like you," she says while drawing her own elegant rapier and ignoring the worried murmuring of the slowly growing crowd. "But if you think you know what you're doing, why don't we make this interesting?"

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Leah's eyes flash red for a moment as she draws her blade.
    Valinia has served my family for generations. I was trained by both my father and the legendary Scarlet Sentinels. And you, a common street rat, think that you can compare to my skill with a blade? It will be a pleasure to teach you otherwise.
    Her other hand reaches behind her and draws the small dueling dagger she uses to defend herself, and she sinks into a fighting stance.
    So, how much do you want to lose, street rat?

Kelon by nijashe

Extended Sig

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Overconfident noble bitch. "Yeah, and Myrtenaster has shed more blood in a year than you ever have at your silly little school. You don't learn to fight like it's some dumb ball, you have to live it."

Natsumi moves into a fencing stance while the crowd, now giving them both a wide berth, encircles the pair from about 20 feet out. Confidant and cocky, she smirks as she puts out her wager, sure that the noble will back out of it, but wanting to see her blush. "But since you seem like you need to learn that lesson the hard way, let's make this exciting. After I kick your ass, I get every piece of cloth you're wearing and your armor, and you have to go crying back to daddy naked. Unless you want to apologize and admit defeat now."

Spoiler
    Show

Not starting the fight yet, but should I assume we'll be beginning with my next post?

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

As soon as Natsumi mentions her father, Leah's eyes turn pure crimson and she lets out a bloody cry. She lunges forward, pretending to go for a blow, but twists the angle of her strike, aiming to disarm her foe instead. After the blow, Leah looks Natsumi in the eyes, and Natsumi can feel part of her essence beginning to leave her.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Move Action: Close any gap present
    Standard: Initiate Blade of Breaking to disarm. Aiming at CMD of 15: (1d20+7)[14]
    Swift: Dark Claim on Natsumi

Kelon by nijashe

Extended Sig

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Natsumi
    HP 12/12
    AC 17

Narrowly managing to avoid losing her grip on her rapier, Natsumi winks and mockingly comments, trying to make it look like she was having less trouble than she was. "Oh! Not bad...for a novice. Don't worry though, I'm sure you'll make plenty of friends who'll want to teach you how to wield a sword when you're running naked through midtown!"

Shifting slightly, she moves in to strike at a non-vital area. Going to humiliate her, but no point in hurting her too badly. I'll just have to end this quickly.

Spoiler
    Show

Standard:
    Attack (1d20+3)[6]
    Damage (1d6+4)[8] non-lethal

Parry attempt against Leah's next attack (1d20+7)[9] (4/5 Panache available)

If Parry succeeds:
    Riposte (1d20+3)[10]
    Damage (1d6+4)[10] non-lethal

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Leah Sparatine
    HP: 9/9
    AC: 18

Leah quickly twists to the side, keeping her eyes locked on her opponent as she avoids the blow. She quickly follows up with another thrust, not wanting to kill this offensive street rat. She then disengages to reassess her options.

Show
    Crimson Claim Damage: (1d4)[2]
    Standard: Initiate Red Zephyr's Strike (if attack is successful, back away 10ft)
    Attack: (1d20+3)[13] (Nonlethal)
    Crit Confirm: (1d20+3)[12]
    Damage: (2d6+1)[12]
    Crit Damage: (1d6+1)[2]
    Swift: Claim again. Recover Blade of Breaking
    Last edited by Keledrath; 2015-01-13 at 03:06 PM.

Kelon by nijashe

Extended Sig

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Natsumi
    HP 10/12
    AC 17

"Argh, what in the Abyss?!"
    Not entirely sure why she suddenly feels weaker, since she knows the noble bitch hadn't landed a hit, Natsumi winces at the unexpected pain. "What sort of trick is this?!"

Angry now, but not enough to try and strike a lethal blow, she lunges at Leah again.

Spoiler
    Show

Standard:
    Attack (1d20+3)[19]
    Damage (1d6+4)[7] non-lethal

Parry attempt against Leah's next attack (1d20+7)[27] (3/5 Panache available)

If Parry succeeds:
    Riposte (1d20+3)[11]
    Damage (1d6+4)[9] non-lethal

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Leah Sparatine
    2/9 (nonlethal
    AC 18

Leah snarls as her offhand is struck when she attempts to parry with her dueling dagger. Desperate, she lunges in and her blade is deflected to the side. However, she is able to recover before Natsumi takes advantage of the opening. An almost feral grin grows on her face, revealing small fangs stained red with blood.

Show
    Claim damage: (1d4)[1]
    Attack is irrelevant, I had no maneuvers to use with it and it gets parried
    Swift to Claim, recover Red Zephyr's Strike

Kelon by nijashe

Extended Sig

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Natsumi
    HP 9/12
    AC 17

Grinning smugly as she easily deflects Leah's blow, the kitsune can't help but be surprised at the bloodthirsty look in her opponent's eyes as Leah grins too. She's better than I thought, this is actually starting to be fun...but not as fun as getting the prize will be! "Someone's getting worked up. Does the thought of losing excite you that much?"

Spoiler
    Show

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Attack (1d20+3)[18]
    Damage (1d6+4)[9] nonlethal

Parry (1d20+7)[14] (2/5 remaining)

Riposte (1d20+3)[7]
    Damage (1d6+3)[7]

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Leah, attempting to strike a blow around her opponent's defenses, leaves herself open to attack. As Natsumi's blade slides in, Leah collapses to the ground, gasping, and holding one hand over the wound. She spits a glob of blood onto the ground, an odd occurrence since her face was never struck.

When she looks up at the victor, the red is fading from her eyes, though they are still narrowed with hatred. Then her head falls to the cobbles of the street.
    Last edited by Keledrath; 2015-01-13 at 03:37 PM.

Kelon by nijashe

Extended Sig

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Seeing her opponent beaten, Natsumi basks in the thrill of winning a fight for a brief second before smiling down at the wounded noble girl who's quickly losing consciousness. "Oh don't make such a scene, I didn't hit anything important, it won't even leave a scar."

As Leah's head drops to the ground, Natsumi quickly decides on a course of action. I'm surprised she managed as well as she did. I wasn't trying to kill her, but I didn't hold back much either. Maybe I underestimated her a little. I'll have to make sure she doesn't hurt herself, wandering about in the buff...and it gives me a chance to check out the goods,she thinks to herself with a wry smile on her face.

"Alright everyone, show's over, go home. I'm not going to leave her just lying here."

Despite saying that, it takes every ounce of strength Natsumi has to lift the unconscious Leah off the ground and slowly shuffle over to the inn she was staying at, unceremoniously dropping the noble-born duelist into her bed. Talking aloud, mostly to herself since Leah can't respond, "I'm not going to just leave you to die, but I'm also not going to forgive you for trying to hit me before we'd even started. Or for that weird magic thing you did. So you're definitely paying up, but I'll be nice about it."

True to her word, the kitsune took Leah's leather armor, and every single strip of cloth she was wearing, I should take the backpack too, so she can't cover up with it, and, after making sure that Leah wasn't bleeding out, left to go visit her abandoned home in Old Korvosa. There, she carefully stashed her opponent's belongings behind a loose board before returning a couple hours later.

Figuring that her new friend, she used the term loosely, would be waking up any time now, Natsumi got two mugs of ale and put one by the bed for Leah. Then, she passed the time until her nude companion woke up by practicing maneuvers with Leah's rapier. What'd she call her? Valinia? She's well made. A little gaudy though.

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Leah's eyes flutter open. Her head was pounding. What had she done last night? The last thing she remembered was...

Being stabbed. Right. That's what had happened. So how did she get onto a bed? And what was that sound?

She raised her head, and saw the woman who had beaten her, practicing. She blinked, and realized something: The stranger was holding Valinia. She was suddenly bolt upright, reaching for her dueling dagger and finding it missing.
    Give that back right now you thief, or I will end your miserable existence!
    Natsumi will see her eyes are, once again, flashing to red.

Kelon by nijashe

Extended Sig

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Finishing her little practice a few seconds after being shouted at, Natsumi smiles in amusement at the furious Leah. "Yeah, and how are you going to do that? You couldn't beat me in a fair fight where you tried to sucker punch me. What'd you think you can do now? A distraction isn't helpful when you don't have a weapon you know," she teases, her eyes obviously no longer on Leah's face.

"And you can call me a thief if you like, but I haven't taken anything of yours."

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Leah is fuming.
    If you have taken nothing of mine, then explain why you are standing there with my family's blade?
    Then she notices where Natsumi is looking.
    So, you felt the need to strip me? Perverted street rat. Return my blade, my clothing, and my armor!

Kelon by nijashe

Extended Sig

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Chuckling at Leah's fury, Natsumi makes a tsking sound. "Well, I don't think you really have anywhere to put it now, do you? I have to admit, it's a fine blade. A little heavy for my taste, but well made."

Well, I was going to hold the weapon hostage and make sure she played nice, but I suppose I could comfort her a little. Without a word, she sheathes Valinia and tosses the blade safely to Leah.

Looking serious she continues, "With the people I grew up with, attacking someone before terms were set meant your life was forfeit." The serious facade fades though as Natsumi smiles brightly, "It'd be a shame to kill you though, you're too much fun. That said, we did have a wager. You don't have clothes or armor. I just took what was mine and dropped it off at my house."

"The way I see it, you've got three options. You can go crying to daddy and lose what little respect I have for you. You can suck it up and come with me, and I'll give you back my things,"
    she says emphasizing the fact that as far as she's concerned, the stolen goods are now her property, "Or, you can do something stupid and try to beat me while naked. But just a note," she says with a perfectly cheery voice that makes it impossible to tell if she's kidding or making a threat, "if you try that, I'll tie your naked body to a pole and stick you in the middle of the marketplace. So, what'll it be...huh, I don't think I caught your name."

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Leah draws her blade and points it at Natsumi once again.
    You dishonor my father's memory by speaking of him. Where I grew up, speaking as such, even in ignorance, would mean your death. But because of your ignorance, I will allow you to apologize for speaking on matters you know nothing of.
    She is shaking, her eyes somewhere between red and green.

Kelon by nijashe

Extended Sig

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Knowing how it feels to lose a father, Natsumi's eyes are downcast briefly as she mutters a quiet apology, "Sorry...I didn't realize he was dead. You have my condolences."

She doesn't stay regretful of her choice of words long, however, and she returns her gaze to Leah's, soaking in the sights on her way up as she waits to see what the nude noble decides to do.

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Leah lets out a long breath and lowers her sword.
    I too owe you an apology. I should not have struck before you were prepared. The ring that I am seeking, along with Valinia, are the only tokens I have of my family. It is a...sore subject.
    Leah sits in silence for a moment, then realizes that Natsumi is still staring at her.
    Can we just get this over with? Hopefully I won't have to gut anyone on the way to where you've put my clothing.
    Leah placing the stress on her ownership since she never did actually agree to the terms of the duel.

Kelon by nijashe

Extended Sig

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Nodding in acceptance of it being a sore subject, Natsumi speaks up. "Yeah, I can understand. Gaedren was responsible for my father's death, but that was a long time ago."

Extending a hand out to Leah, she smiles, "Name's Sera. And since you're gutsy enough to go through with it, I'll take you down the alleyways to get there faster. If you tried to fight I would've made detours."

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Leah took the hand grudgingly.
    Leah Sparatine, formerly of Taldor.
    As they go, Leah works up the will to ask the question that has been bothering her.
    Who taught you to fight? Your technique is superb.

Kelon by nijashe

Extended Sig

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Shrugging, Natsumi responds, "Like I said, it's not something you're taught, you have to live it."

The rest of her explaination is cut short by the cheers from the tavern as Leah comes into view, but once they make it to an empty alley, Natsumi decides she might as well tell Leah her story.

"I told you that Gaedren had my father killed. Well, after that, I'm not really clear on what happened, but I ended up on a pirate ship. I had to either learn how to fight and defend myself, or be a scared little girl on a pirate ship. I just volunteered to fight when it came time and survived long enough to figure out what I was doing. And when the ship went down, I took my shot at freedom and came home."

Ultimately, it takes the duo about an hour and a half to get to the abandoned home in Old Korvosa thanks to needing to dodge crowds, but eventually they make it. Before unlocking the door, however, Natsumi stops and looks back at Leah.

Hmm...You know what? I'll be honest. Haven't done that in a while. And it'll be nice if at least someone in this city knows who I am. Besides, she's cute, daring, and a damn fine swordswoman. "Sorry, I lied before. My real name is Natsumi, "Sera" is just what I used to get by on the ship so no one would know what I am."

Stepping closer, before Leah can react to that new information, Natsumi give her a quick peck on the lips and whispers to her, "And you're wrong, by the way. I'm not a pervert, I just know what I like. Your clothes are inside, but there's no rush, is there?"

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Leah almost slaps the other girl as she kisses her. Reflexively, her hand had moved to her sword, but she stops herself.
    Don't do that. The last person who kissed me got himself killed while wearing my father's ring.
    With that, she pushes past Natsumi. As she does though, the other woman may notice a flush of red in Leah's face that never appeared during her forced nudity.

After getting dressed, Leah looks at the vagrant. No, the duelist. After all, with a house, she was less of a vagrant than Leah.
    Natsumi, Perhaps we could hunt Gaedren together. Two sets of eyes are better than one, after all.

Kelon by nijashe

Extended Sig

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Just barely catching the blush as Leah sneaks inside, having been distracted by a different sort of cheek, Natsumi grins. That's cute, she's worried about me.

When the now, sadly, clothed Leah emerges and offers an alliance though, the kitsune nods her head and smiles. "Together then. It'll be fun working with you. You're more exciting than any other high-born lady I've met at least, even if I did have to force you into it."

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

About a week later

Leah is in a bad mood. It had been a week since she had met and had been defeated by the street rat Natsumi. The two had decided to work together in the hunting of Gedran Lamm, but they hadn't turned up anything. Leah was infuriated by how many of her contacts were so willing to believe the worst of her, despite the lack of evidence.

She returned to Natsumi's home towards dusk, her nerves frayed. She had finally worked up the courage to try and talk to Markin Abrang, father of her deceased betrothed. She had tried to explain that she was hunting his son's murderer, but he had shouted her down and threatened to call the guards. Her fists were clenched as she stepped inside.
    Sera? Are you back yet?

Kelon by nijashe

Extended Sig

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Natsumi

Unlike Leah, Natsumi wasn't nearly as hellbent on catching Gaedren. While she wanted to avenge her father, it was more about closing the last chapter of her past than righting any particular wrong, and nothing that couldn't be put off. So while her new friend was out hunting for clues, Natsumi was out roaming the city for things of interest. Unfortunately for her, that meant gambling, and today, that meant losing. Left with literally nothing but the clothes on her back and her beloved mithral blade, she'd returned home an hour ago and was blowing off steam by practicing the stance she'd seen Leah use in their previous duel, determined to make it her own. Oh, she's going to be pissed, the kitsune in human form grins to herself at the thought of Leah's outrage when a 'street rat' like her mastered her precious school's style so easily.

She'd been just finishing up when Leah called out and Natsumi headed out of her room, grinning. "Yeah, what's up?" Seeing her clinched fists though, she tilts her head to the side, curious, but wanting to see what an angry Leah does without any prompting.

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

In her anger, Leah doesn't even notice what her colleague was doing.
    Did you have any luck tracking down Lamm's location? I'm tired of everyone treating me like a criminal! It's infuriating!

Kelon by nijashe

Extended Sig

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Natsumi

Oh, she's already angry. I love it when she gets like this, she's much more fun...just need to prod her into doing something exciting...

Hiding her grin, she puts on her best 'bad acting' face and fails to look properly ashamed. "Well...the thing about that is...the coin you gave me to try and track down any leads...maaaay have found its way into a game of cards." She waits for Leah's reaction before continuing, digging herself in deeper. "See, the thing is, I thought they might know something, but I wanted to get to know them a bit through the game and...well...It didn't go quite as well as I'd hoped," she says with a laugh.

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Leah glares at the other girl.
    You are absolutely hopeless, you know that? One of these days you're going to end up dead in a gutter from these vices of yours. If you're lucky, it will be from your slutting, rather than your gambling or your drinking.
    Her look is scornful
    And you know who is going to miss you? No one. You'll be lucky if they even bother to figure out whose body it is, lying there, soaked in the gods only know what.

Kelon by nijashe

Extended Sig