New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 51 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default DrK's Age of Worms IC pt2

THE AGE OF WORMS HAS BEGUN!

Since the beginning of history, humanity has measured time in Ages. Ages of Glory, of Dreams, and even of Great Sorrows mark the human tally of years, giving a sense of order to the events of past centuries. But one age has yet to occur - an age of darkness, of decay, and of writhing doom. Witty bards and wrathful preachers know it as the Age of Worms, weaving it into the peripheries of their passion plays as a mythic era of destruction that could begin at any time. Astrologers, diviners, and the servants of Fate know more. The canniest among them fear that the Age of Worms has already begun

The evening passes peacefully with much ale and tall tales and in the morning the dwarves wish you well as they harness the boars to the wagons and head West. You all turn south towards the low boggy hills of the mist marsh

The next day the walk continues as the terrain turns more to marsh and bogs. The day humid and smelly with the air full of buzzing insects that bite and sting. As you get close to the tower you can all hear screams and shouts and the sound battle. Smoke rising over the low hills! the small tower standing proud with smoke coming from its outbuildings and bodies on the ground. Scattered around the tower massive green reptillian beasts with clubs and javelins. Lots.

The tower is tall and thin, some 3 stories tall with a wide balcony around the second floor, currently studded with javelins and with a pair of bow armed soldiers huddled down upon it. Around the base of the tower are dozens of sharp stakes and also a half dozen dead lizard folk. And a few feet from the tower a broken stable, thatch roof still smoldering and broken walls revealing the dead and butchered horses within.

Spoiler: Maps
    Show

You are 200ft to the right up the road

The lizard men are scattered in groups of 8 or so, one of the groups currently pushing at the doors whilst the others take cover behind logs and bushes munching on horse or bits of human flesh.

IC thread #1
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: DrK's Age of Worms IC pt2

Taliesn

Large groups. No spellcasters. Fate is kind! Taliesn thinks to himself.

"Enlarge me, friend Claire?" he asks. "I have trampling to do!"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Halsaephus

"There are several groups about," Hal states, wincing at at the obviousness of his statement. "If we draw too many of them to us their numbers may overwhelm us. Let us use whatever tactical advantage we have at our disposal!"

Spoiler: Hal's options for your reading pleasure
    Show

1. Run up and stab.
    2. Shoot ' em with bow.
    3. Ray of Frost!
    4. Hide.
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2015-01-15 at 02:58 PM.
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Landahl

Lan tensed as he saw the smoke, lowering his already short profile as they approached. He was somewhat surprised when the group seemed inclined to prepare a bit. Nodding, he pointed towards the structure where the lizards where gathering. "We should approach swiftly and quietly ... use the building to mask us for as long as possible, then strike the ones in the barn first. Kill them all, and draw the ones at the door ... or fall on them from behind."
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

5. - Top - End - #5

Halsaephus

The snow elf nods agreement and draws his bow. It was one thing to charge headlong into an enclosed space, another altogether to give up the field to a numerically superior force.

"Lady Claire, have you those fireballs still?"
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Goattracker

The Goliath stares at the lizard-people in awe. Never had he thought such fanciful creatures could exist. Truly the world was far grander and vastly more strange than he ever imagined. Turning his attention to the battle ahead, the cleric whispers, "Kavaki, hear my prayer, give me the might to fight these lizards!"

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Casting Bull's strength on myself.
    DMing:
    ❶ Neophytes of the Argent Dawn: IC | OOC | DOC

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

The lizards are spread out around the door. As you watch a group of about 8 battle at the doorway to the tower. Shouts and hisses from them and cries from the soldiers inside. Another group of lizards shelters near the stable watching and eating as they await the rush to the door. Other small groups of lizards forking the rough cordon are much further away in the far sides of the tower.

Spoiler: mapish
    Show

So you're 200ft to the right
    There are 7 lizards around the stable
    About 8 at the tower door
    Several other groups at > 600ft distant on the far sides of the tower to the west and southern sides of the picture
    At this range you cannot discern any leaders. Though some look bugger or smaller than the others.

8. - Top - End - #8

ooc: I'll get the ball rolling

Halsaephus

Hal nocks and readies to shoot at any horse-eating lizards not crushed under Taliesn's trampling onslaught.

Spoiler: Twang
    Show

Hold action: Shoot after Tal's first charge
    (1d20+9)[19] to hit
    (1d8+2)[4] damage
    (1d20+9)[17] to hit
    (1d8+2)[8] x2 damage
    (1d8+2)[4] x3 damage

@DrK got two emails you tried to message me before I emptied inbox, if you can resend I promise will respond asap.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

GOATTRACKER

The Goliath runs forward, Palefist in hand.

Spoiler
    Show
    200 feet away, 60 foot run. 3.3 turns to get there.

DMing:

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Taliesn, too, spends this opening round, closing the distance.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'll use a Run to close to within 100', in predator form. I don't think we've heard from Cardea yet, but may we safely assume I have been enlarged, as that is our standard operating procedure?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana

Groups of creatures. Why didn't I prepare any area of effect spells today? I unhook the scroll of Sound Burst from my belt and direct it at the group of creatures by the stables. Well, there goes our surprise.

Spoiler
    Show

Lizard 1: (1d8)[5]
    Lizard 2: (1d8)[2]
    Lizard 3: (1d8)[5]
    Lizard 4: (1d8)[8]
    Lizard 5: (1d8)[5]
    Lizard 6: (1d8)[4]
    Lizard 7: (1d8)[5]

FORT DC15 or Stunned.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Um, Sound Burst is a close range spell, and if I understood DrK correctly, we started the round 200' away. That's why GT and I both used our turns just to close the distance.

Of course, if I was wrong, I'll trample, trample, TRAMPLE.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks for picking up on my error! In which case, I'll close the distance until I can use it.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

The heroes leap into action sprinting down the road. Talsien outstripping everyone as he merely jogs compared to others full sprint. An arrow twangs clipping a lizard and starting the roars!

The lizards hiss into action. 3 of them lining up with long spears tipped with bone in hand, 2 levelling crossbows and 2 hurling javelins at the oncoming Talsien who behind to run through sharp tipped rain!

Spoiler: lizards
    Show

Crossbow vs talsien (1d20+2)[15] dam (1d8)[7]
    Crossbow vs goat (1d20+2)[13] dam (1d8)[1]
    Javelin vs talsien (1d20-2)[11] dam (1d6+2)[8]
    Javelin vs talsien (1d20-2)[7] dam (1d6+2)[6]

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

GOATTRACKER

The Goliath continues to barrel forward as fast as he can.

Spoiler
    Show
    More running! #PraiseKavakiThatGoliathsDoNotHaveAsthma
    DMing:

16. - Top - End - #16

Halsaephus

"This isn't what I had in mind when I mentioned tactics!" The Snow Elf shouts. Judging by their bows, Hal determines he outstrips the lizards in bow range. "Master Lan, can you assist me in taking out the crossbows?"

He knows the halfling likely can outshoot even himself, so he defers to his tactical choices.

In Elven, he shouts to Taliesn:

"They can take your charge with the spears! Veer off before it is too late!"
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2015-01-18 at 03:27 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Taliesn hears Hal's warning but chooses to ignore it, as the bolts and javelins fly uselessly around him. Even when ready for me, they still have to hit; even when they hit, they still have to do enough to stop me. I shall not be stopped! he thinks, as he covers the remaining distance to barrel into the first squad.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, the three ready for a charge can try to hit me first, AC 19 for that purpose.

Then my tramples:
    Lizard #1 (2d6+6)[8]
    Lizard #2 (2d6+6)[12]
    Lizard #3 (2d6+6)[12]
    Lizard #4 (2d6+6)[11]
    Lizard #5 (2d6+6)[13]
    Lizard #6 (2d6+6)[9]
    Lizard #7 (2d6+6)[9]

They can make AoOs: AC 23. (I suppose even the spearmen may do so, with natural attacks, but they would be at an additional -2 (with multi-attack) or -5 (without), as it's a secondary attack for them. Otherwise, they may attempt a DC 12 save for half damage.

EDIT: Hm, sub-standard rolls, yet they would still take out over half of them, if they were bog-standard lizardfolk.
    Last edited by Stegyre; 2015-01-18 at 07:19 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Seeing that Taliesn has the nearest group under control, I attempt to forge my way towards the main gate!

Spoiler
    Show
    Can we reason my previous post into a run action, 120 ft? I didn't realise we were starting so far away.

This turn also spent running, another 120 ft, or to 65 ft from the lizards at the gate.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

The goliath, Hal and Mirriana race forward down the rough path towards the massed lizards. Talisen outstripping them all as the predator leaps and bounds ahead of them all. Hurling himself into the spears and claws and swords he is an engine of destruction.

Spoiler: AoO Vs talsien
    Show

Braced spears vs AC19
    (1d20+4)[22] dam (1d8+3)[6]
    (1d20+4)[7] dam (1d8+3)[4]
    (1d20+4)[7] dam (1d8+3)[4]

AoO vs AC19 (for moving through the reach)
    (1d20+4)[13] dam (1d8+3)[4]
    (1d20+4)[22] dam (1d8+3)[6]
    (1d20+4)[22] dam (1d8+3)[8]

Vs Tramples VS AC 19
    (1d20)[3] dam (1d4+2)[3]
    (1d20)[4] dam (1d4+2)[3]
    (1d20)[18] dam (1d4+2)[4]
    (1d20)[3] dam (1d4+2)[6]

The impact is devastating, 4 of the creatures being crushed and smashed and broken by the knees and sharp taloned teeth of Talsien

20. - Top - End - #20

Halsaephus

"Perhaps I was hasty in my entreaty for caution! I defer to your judgement!" Hal shouts, again in Elven.

Seeking a new target among the survivors, he fires again.

Spoiler: TWANG~! with a tilde bang
    Show
    (1d20+8)[20] with 28 being a possible crit
    (1d8+2)[7] damage
    (1d20+8)[26] if needed
    (1d8+2)[10] x2 crit
    (1d8+2)[9] x3 crit

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Landahl

After discussing tactics, the Halfling blinked as the others simply took off willy-nilly, ignoring the concepts they had just covered. Rushing forward to try and keep up, Lan followed them, drawing his bow and running swiftly to maintain pace with the heavily armored of the group. As they closed the gap, he eyed the distance, then paused suddenly, taking aim at the lizards within the enclosure. Taliesn had already engaged them, but his moving form was no hindrance to a Halfling with his skill. With a soft twang, an arrow flew forward to hit one of the uninjured lizardmen.

Once fired, he moved forward again, firing once more at the next threat to his companions.

Show
    Round 1 - run 120 feet. Round 2 - Move 30ft and shoot. Round 3 Move up 30 ft and shoot again.

Should be at 85 ft at the end of round 2 and 55ft away at the end of round 3. Which means no range penalties, but no PBS.
    Attack - Rnd 1 - (1d20+10)[30], Damage - (2d6+1)[12]
    Attack - Rnd 2 - (1d20+10)[13], Damage - (2d6+1)[10]

Status
    HPs: 34/34; AC: 21
    F +7, R +11, W +4
    Last edited by Starbin; 2015-01-20 at 10:27 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Even as the raging Talsien rampages through the lizards 2 of the survivors give short snarls as they topple over, arrows jutting from their chest and head. The last of the 7 turns and darts towards the base of the tower moving deftly around the large stakes jutting from the hillock.

Men atop the tower with bows looking tired and bandaged begin to cheer! There's a load of em coming frae the south. Can you cut your way to the door?

Even as he speaks 4 of the beasts and one with a large head dress of feathers and dangling bones form a crude line, the remaining 3 still pounding on the door. Green energy flowing from the one wearing the bones. His shamans stick waving around as the power flows from him to 3 of the front line longspear wielding lizards.

Spoiler: lizards
    Show

Last lizard doubles move s towards the tower passing his dex10 check to avoid the stakes

4 lizards form a defensive line near the tower door
    3 batter at the door
    1 casts a chained spell

You can see other groups of lizards to the west and south arming themselves

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Goattracker

The Goliath continues to run!

Spoiler
    Show

So... Goat gets to the barn this time... So he will need to run again next turn to get to the defensive line near the tower.

Heavy Armor is terrible!

DMing:

24. - Top - End - #24

Halsaephus

"I suggest we take out the immediate threat to the tower and try to relieve the humans," Hal says, trying to determine the spell cast.

Spoiler: Spellcraft cuz I haven't failed that yet
    Show
    Only 1 rank; I looked over Claire's shoulder one night when she studied her spellbook.
    (1d20+3)[9]

How far from tower are we?
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2015-01-21 at 03:02 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Taliesn takes time for a brief breather, shifting back to human form and murmuring a few words as some of his wounds stop bleeding.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Swift action: change form; Standard action: cast Lesser Vigor; move action: continue strolling toward the tower while waiting for the rest to catch up -- how close are we, anyway?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana

Welp! Not much else to do except keep running. I stop just outside what I judge to be the lizards' charge range.

27. - Top - End - #27

Halsaephus

Unable to cipher the spell cast, Hal hopes it is nothing that can retaliate arrow wounds. He fires his bow at the spell-casting lizard.

Spoiler: Fuego~!
    Show
    (1d20+8)[17] to hit
    (1d8+2)[5] damage
    (1d20+8)[23] to hit crit if needed
    (1d8+2)[6] x2 damage crit if needed
    (1d8+2)[6] x3 damage crit if needed

Hal advances beside Mirriana.

"With their focus divided, the reptilians' siege can be thwarted. Or at least delayed if we can get into the keep ourselves."
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2015-01-21 at 04:28 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Landahl

With the first threats dealt with effectively, if somewhat haphazardly, Lan turned his focus to the group preparing itself at the keep. With almost half the distance he had already run to go, he elected to move up and fire a single shot at the spell-casting lizard.

Show
    At the start of round 4, Lan should be 155 from the keep, Lan will move forward 30ft and fire. And this time I'll use the correct damage (since you can't get precision damage outside of 30'!).
    Attack - (1d20+8)[20], Damage - (1d6+1)[2]

Status
    HPs: 34/34; AC: 21
    F +7, R +11, W +4

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by redzimmer View Post
    Halsaephus

Hal advances beside Mirriana.

"With their focus divided, the reptilians' siege can be thwarted. Or at least delayed if we can get into the keep ourselves."
    "If they all stay clustered up like that I can drop a pretty potent soundbomb on them."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

The druid hisses as a pair of arrows clip him. Reptilian eyes watching them as the party races forward, particularly on the savage Shifter. The reptiles hiss and and bark at one another in their glottal tongue (undercommon), spears wavering and axes waved. The men atop the tower firing arrows at the further away lizards to try and force them to slow down and seek cover. The three hammering on the door of the tower continue to do so with renewed fury as you can hear the shouts of the men inside fighting back as they try and push spears and swords through the cracks. The druid hisses and begins another incantation, his scales and those of the three reptiles in front growing small spines of black.

Spoiler: Lizards
    Show

2 more groups closing at 400ft and 350ft

3 at the tower door continue to hammer away
    4 with spears readying
    druid casts "a spell" and him and 3 others grow some spines.